2023 Rangers/Astros thread of hate

ztejas

35 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

But his name is Chas...Isn't that an autonomous zone in Portland or something?  

It was CHAZ… which was actually a pretty dope name, but they changed it to something stupid after. 

But really fuck Chas McCormick. Super dirty player. He (very intentionally) tried smacking the ball out of the first baseman’s glove during a play that one time. I’m glad he got plunked. 

• Drool 1

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It was CHAZ… which was actually a pretty dope name, but they changed it to something stupid after. 

But really fuck Chas McCormick. Super dirty player. He (very intentionally) tried smacking the ball out of the first baseman’s glove during a play that one time. I’m glad he got plunked. 

Sometimes you just make it too easy.

Arod Slapping GIF - Arod Slapping Slap - Discover & Share GIFs

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

"Go and take it" is lame as fuck.  Does Arizona have it?  Are the Rangers now the Mexican Army?

Using that phrase with regard to Texas should have some fucking relation to the actions or events in Gonzales.

Edited by slorch

25 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

kind of like how "wreck 'em" is a lame shitty knockoff of "hook 'em"? 

I'm more of a Guns Up type person, but yeah... I guess.  Wreck Em is actually in our fight song though.

You will hit 'em, you will wreck 'em.
Hit 'em! Wreck 'em, Texas Tech!

But really, WTF is up with "Go and Take it?"  

Edited by slorch

52 minutes ago, slorch said:

I'm more of a Guns Up type person, but yeah... I guess.  Wreck Em is actually in our fight song though.

You will hit 'em, you will wreck 'em.
Hit 'em! Wreck 'em, Texas Tech!

But really, WTF is up with "Go and Take it?"  

Something the team came up with or maybe it's just marketing/PR team talk. Who gives a fuck? This team is rallying around fucking Creed for fuck's sake. They're dumb baseball players. Dumb baseball players who are trying to win a World Series. Hook 'em high like an eagle soars!

1 hour ago, slorch said:

"Go and take it" is lame as fuck.  Does Arizona have it?  Are the Rangers now the Mexican Army?

Using that phrase with regard to Texas should have some fucking relation to the actions or events in Gonzales.

Up there with the "Cement the Dynasty" motto seen on the video screens at MMP.  Prescient.

It was sunk. Swimming with the fishes. Etc.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Up there with the "Cement the Dynasty" motto seen on the video screens at MMP.  Prescient.

It was sunk. Swimming with the fishes. Etc.

Nah.  the motto this season was Ready2Reign, as in "Win it 2 years in a row."

I don't like the 'Cement the Dynasty' bit either.

Edited by slorch

Just now, Fudbelty said:

Either way, we’ll never know.

Dynasty was 'cemented' last season, if not when a 7th consecutive ALCS was made.  That motto is from the people still trying to argue with the asterisk crowd.  Fuck both sides of that bullshit.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Dynasty was 'cemented' last season, if not when a 7th consecutive ALCS was made.  That motto is from the people still trying to argue with the asterisk crowd.  Fuck both sides of that bullshit.

I don't see the Astros being a dynasty by any normal metric of what a dynasty is. It should be at least 3 titles in a decade period of time. Astros have 2. Still have time to get that 3rd but aren't there yet. Never won back to back or 2 in 3 years. There 2 titles are 5 years apart. Not far off from what the Florida Marlins did. I get Florida has zero success outside of those 2 years like Houston has had outside of their 2 titles but dynasties aren't measured by just winning your conference/league and coming up short in the final round. 

Houston has had a very good run obviously and any other organization would take this run but as of now, they aren't a dynasty.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I don't see the Astros being a dynasty by any normal metric of what a dynasty is. It should be at least 3 titles in a decade period of time. Astros have 2. Still have time to get that 3rd but aren't there yet. Never won back to back or 2 in 3 years. There 2 titles are 5 years apart. Not far off from what the Florida Marlins did. I get Florida has zero success outside of those 2 years like Houston has had outside of their 2 titles but dynasties aren't measured by just winning your conference/league and coming up short in the final round. 

Houston has had a very good run obviously and any other organization would take this run but as of now, they aren't a dynasty.

Houston has had a great run and a couple of titles, a lot of LCS games, all under the dark cloud of cheating (fair or unfair). Personally, I think it's fair to call the Astros cheaters for the rest of my days, every chance I get as you guys have witnessed here.

But even those who don't feel that way and think it's unfair to carry that label around forever, you have to admit that the perception of that stigma exists and will be part of the conversation anytime you talk about Astros of this era. For baseball standards, it was just that scandalous and ground-breaking news that captured the imagination and attention of baseball and wider sports fans and had lasting power.

arbitrary measures.  Also, LOFL at the notion that this era is over for Houston. 2024 will hardly be the first time for adaptation on or off the field.

In sports, a dynasty is a team or individual that dominates their sport or league for an extended length of time. Some leagues usually maintain official lists of dynasties, often as part of a hall of fame, but in many cases, whether a team or individual has achieved a dynasty is subjective.

Edited by slorch

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

arbitrary measures.  

In sports, a dynasty is a team or individual that dominates their sport or league for an extended length of time. Some leagues usually maintain official lists of dynasties, often as part of a hall of fame, but in many cases, whether a team or individual has achieved a dynasty is subjective.

Right, which is why I mentioned the dark cloud of the cheating scandal, I think that colors people outside of the 713/281/832's subjective perception of dynasty in this case.

It’s probably fairly reflective of the Dallas cowboys of the 70s. Lots of success, couple of titles, but several losses at the end.  Are they considered a dynasty?  Not really, they were “next year’s team.”  

One difference is that there was another team at the same time in Pittsburgh that did even better, so any single dynasty from that period would and has been associated with them. 

It’s not like there’s hard and fast rules for this stuff. 

Houston has had a great run and a couple of titles, a lot of LCS games, all under the dark cloud of cheating (fair or unfair). Personally, I think it's fair to call the Astros cheaters for the rest of my days, every chance I get as you guys have witnessed here.
But even those who don't feel that way and think it's unfair to carry that label around forever, you have to admit that the perception of that stigma exists and will be part of the conversation anytime you talk about Astros of this era. For baseball standards, it was just that scandalous and ground-breaking news that captured the imagination and attention of baseball and wider sports fans and had lasting power.

That’s fair. I will henceforth refer to the cheating Texas Rangers for their role in the steroid era. I mean, they had a player from that team lie directly to Congress while wagging his finger. He blatantly lied to all of America. I think it’s fair they carry that label around.

Edit: I don’t really believe that but it’s sarcasm to make a point about just how fucking stupid BeardIP is being about this even when presented with evidence the Rangers were also cheating. I just wish the Rangers had been as good so the cheating would have actually paid off. I’d love to see these two teams play for a World Series berth every year!

2 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Right, which is why I mentioned the dark cloud of the cheating scandal, I think that colors people outside of the 713/281/832's subjective perception of dynasty in this case.

That's just for Dodger and Yankee fans to cope with getting their asses kicked.  The scandal is a fucking joke and anyone with 2 braincells not fighting each other knows it.

1 hour ago, Hate said:

That’s fair. I will henceforth refer to the cheating Texas Rangers for their role in the steroid era. I mean, they had a player from that team lie directly to Congress while wagging his finger. He blatantly lied to all of America. I think it’s fair they carry that label around.

Edit: I don’t really believe that but it’s sarcasm to make a point about just how fucking stupid BeardIP is being about this even when presented with evidence the Rangers were also cheating. I just wish the Rangers had been as good so the cheating would have actually paid off. I’d love to see these two teams play for a World Series berth every year!

You can think it's stupid that most of the baseball world not located in Central-to-Southern Texas thinks of the Astros as having cheated their way to at least one championship and generally stigmatizes the organization all you want, but it doesn't change much. One person is smart, people are dumb, and this was a national, non-stop story that left a black mark. Sorry the Astros got caught cheating in a comical and absurd way (which helped to propel the story and fired up everyones imaginations and theories to an 11) and people cared to make it a huge deal compared to steroids in the 90's. Ask Barry Bonds if it's fair.

Edited by BeardIP

You can think it's stupid that most of the baseball world not located in Central-to-Southern Texas thinks of the Astros as having cheated their way to at least one championship and generally stigmatizes the organization all you want, but it doesn't change much. One person is smart, people are dumb, and this was a national, non-stop story that left a black mark. Sorry the Astros got caught cheating in a comical and absurd way (which helped to propel the story and fired up everyones imaginations and theories to an 11) and people cared to make it a huge deal compared to steroids in the 90's. Ask Barry Bonds if it's fair.

Uhm, there are many should be HOF’ers that share the brunt of that era with Bonds. Clemens, Rodriguez, Palmeiro, etc. Because Rob Manfred is a great big giant gaping pussy, the Astros got hung out to dry alone. Do some research.

14 minutes ago, Hate said:

Uhm, there are many should be HOF’ers that share the brunt of that era with Bonds. Clemens, Rodriguez, Palmeiro, etc. Because Rob Manfred is a great big giant gaping pussy, the Astros got hung out to dry alone. Do some research.

23 minutes ago, Okie State said:

'At least one'? What bullshit conspiracy theories are there trying to delegitimize 2022?

What time do the Astros play tonight? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

28 minutes ago, Okie State said:
1 hour ago, BeardIP said:
What time do the Astros play tonight? 

Answer the question. Or are you just full of shit?

I thought that was rhetorical of you. Like I said, whether I think the Astros are tainted goods and forever get to be jeered as cheaters is my personal preference, but there is a stink on the team fair or unfair, post-getting caught cheating. 2017 is for sure an asterisk and a cheat-gained WS. Nobody doubts that. 2022 I think isn’t, but people still, fair or unfairly, associate the Astors winning with cheating. That’s why I used the words I used. Here is an interesting article which touches on both sides of the perception issue (and touches on the dynasty debate):

How Will History Remember the Houston Astros?

The Astros who won the World Series this season aren’t the same as the team that cheated en route to a 2017 title. But will history draw a distinction?
https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/mlb/2022/11/7/23445246/houston-astros-world-series-sign-stealing-legacy