FFS ... "Less" and "Fewer"

Lidig8r

While an entire thread on the football board is a bit much, this issue is a pet peeve of mine too. I also hear/see the incorrect use of "amount" versus "number" all the time, probably more often than hearing those used properly (it's the same issue of countable/uncountable).

But neither of those are nearly as bad as people who write "should of" instead of "should have" or "should've". They need to be sent back to elementary school.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

While an entire thread on the football board is a bit much, this issue is a pet peeve of mine too. I also hear/see the incorrect use of "amount" versus "number" all the time, probably more often than hearing those used properly (it's the same issue of countable/uncountable)

Muchas gracias for correctly saying 'versus', rather than 'verse', which is inexplicably being used more and more. Makes me murdery.

5 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

First, congratulations on the proper usage of the words.

However, in order for that rather salubrious act to occur, the person depositing the sperm would have to go to Lake Arrowhead, find a way to accumulate the ashes of one human being, reanimate them into a human being, obtain my dear, sainted mother's consent and then make said deposit.

Consent?  I guess you don't know that we have plenty of Baylor people that read and lurk and post here. 

22 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

C_AbBKLUAAQV0EF.jpg

In March 2014, head coach Urban Meyer described Jones as a "different guy" who was "making progress in the classroom."[14] Later, Jones provided context for the tweet: 

I remember I was in class, and I think I got, like, a B on a [sociology] exam. It was just something so stupid; of course I didn't feel that way about academics, and I don't. Nobody in this program feels that way, we actually take that stuff very serious around here. It was just a dumbass thing to do. I definitely didn't think that would happen. It was just a stupid thing to do at that time. It was something where I just got pissed because I studied my ass off.

— Cardale Jones, December 2014.[15]

Ultimately, on May 7, 2017, Jones graduated from Ohio State with a bachelor's degree in African-American Studies.[16]

2E4CF9E3-8F9B-42A3-9EF4-B21216FEE6FD.gif

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/24/2023 at 8:48 AM, Lidig8r said:

Sweet Blue Jumpin' Buddha on a unicycle with no seat!!

In the NCAA clock change thread, there were two consecutive posts where the use of the words "less" and "fewer" were butchered worse than an aggy at a Mensa Conference. So, let's review.  It is not that difficult.

"Fewer" is used when referring to items that can be counted individually, such as people, objects, or animals. It is used to indicate a smaller quantity or number of something. For example, "I have fewer apples than you" or "There are fewer people in the room than yesterday."

"Less," on the other hand, is used when referring to something that cannot be counted individually, such as a liquid or a concept. It is used to indicate a smaller amount or degree of something. For example, "I want less sugar in my coffee" or "There is less pollution in the air today."

A simple way to remember the difference is to think of "fewer" as referring to things you can count, and "less" as referring to things you cannot count.

We are not aggy. We are not the meth head addled people from aggy. We are not the inbred mouth breathers from Arkansas.

We are from By God, all that is right and holy TEXAS!

Message board grammar bothers you.....I bet you are fun texting.....

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Message board grammar bothers you.....I bet you are fun texting.....

In fact, I have a 3rd grade drop out from the DISD dumbphone... in fact, the dumbest iPhone in the history of God.

So, I let all of my contacts know that when I talk text, I am NOT going to check for speling, grammar, wurd contextt.  It will be up to them to figure out what I was trying to text.

1 hour ago, Lidig8r said:

In fact, I have a 3rd grade drop out from the DISD dumbphone... in fact, the dumbest iPhone in the history of God.

So, I let all of my contacts know that when I talk text, I am NOT going to check for speling, grammar, wurd contextt.  It will be up to them to figure out what I was trying to text.

My dad is in his mid 70s and loves texting. He won’t answer a call, but will text almost immediately. 
However, he exclusively uses only voice-to-text. If you read his messages out loud and quickly, you can usually figure out what he’s saying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Me and the OP are one in the same.  Bare with me here.  Usually these things don’t phase me.  Even though they should of used proper phraseology, I usually just give folks some lead way and assume they just didn’t have their expresso yet.  Irregardless, I’m glad you nipped it in the butt.  

• Rage+1 1