2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Looks like this upcoming weekend is the last weekend portal guys can take visits for a while. Just something to keep in mind. Quiet period starts back up 1/3 which means coaches can meet with transfers on campus.

Screenshot2023-12-13at3_21_31PM.png.1814819d2e8f62bfff169009f121ea06.png

Great timing. They can come in on January 12th and see the new national championship trophy before committing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Imagine going from the #1 recruiting class of all time to having to sell yourself on transfers from Old Dominion and Youngstown State. 

I’m donating all my Christmas gifts this year. I’ve received way too much already. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Constant said:

The Cayden Green thing is an abomination. College football is ruined if starters can be poached before entering the portal. This whole thing is in a downward spiral. 

Right, college football is ruined by players transferring away from OU. What a high bar you have

yG8eC3.gif

702488---original-layout-thumbnail-image.jpg

joe-mixon-wcpocincinnati.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Prepare your anus 2

27 minutes ago, Red Five said:

No way we take only Golden in the portal at WR. That would be malpractice. 

I agree. That said, the staff has been really good at evaluating what they have on campus and planning for the portal. Trust the corches.

'22 cycle: Passed on OL when many (ahem @JFKFC)called for it. Passed on EDGE (except Drew Sanders IIRC) when it was the perceived biggest need. WR is probably the position you can criticize, but they did take three (Neyor, Hall, Milton) and we didn't have near as much to sell coming off 5-7.

'23 cycle: Passed on LB when many called for it. Passed on TE when many called for it. S is probably where you can poke holes. They got Catalon, but he's injury-prone and redundant with our good safeties. I would guess they expected Crawford to be playable. He got a lot of hype in the spring. FWIW, Ja'had Carter (the other safety we went after) totaled 5 tackles for tOSU this year. 

The vision for internal development is pretty clear by now. The staff has a good record of knowing which positions are actual needs and which can be filled with guys already in the program. There may have been some opportunities to add guys in '22 that would have jump-started us a bit, but I'd say it's all worked out.  

• Hook 'Em 4

I don't understand the timing. Obviously he could have had backchannel access to what programs are interested in him but what changed in the last week that he didn't when the portal opened? Good luck to him though. It wasn't the smoothest sailing but he did enough to keep us in the playoff convo.

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Not to be a hater but I'm not totally sure Murphy will have interest from a big time program. That's the narrative but I just don't see it. He's not mobile and looks like a below average passer. 

Seems a little hasty. Well, not the statue part, but the rest. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Teryor said:

I don't understand the timing. Obviously he could have had backchannel access to what programs are interested in him but what changed in the last week that he didn't when the portal opened? Good luck to him though. It wasn't the smoothest sailing but he did enough to keep us in the playoff convo.

Murphy knows he's never starting here. I don't think timing really matters. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Have to believe this reinforces the reporting that Quinn intends to stick around for one more season, no?

If Quinn kicks ass and wins the national championship I doubt he comes back. I think this is MM knowing he’s not playing above manning or Quinn and he doesn’t want to sit and watch anymore. No biggie. Grab a portal back up.

20 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

I could see him doing well at a school like Oregon State or Washington state.

I just don’t know how you can be a P5 program and hand the keys over to him without a legitimate competition/bringing in another transfer. And I’m sure he wants to go somewhere where he’s the walk-in starter.

Don’t think he’s shown enough to be the walk-in starter at a place like Washington State or Oregon State.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 6

14 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think he knows he's the 2nd string QB at best with Manning. 

Unless Sark told him that directly, which is possible, I doubt he'd be thinking that. These guys are extremely confident competitors, and he is currently ahead of Arch. 

Right or wrong, he probably thinks Quinn is coming back 

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

If you don't look like a Heisman candidate in your first two college starts where you're stepping in for the injured starter, you'll never amount to shit. 

Nobody ever changes or improves.

My bad. Whatever happened to that Ewers guy after Texas chased him away last season? Probably better he never amounted to shit because the guy out there now seems pretty decent. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

If you don't look like a Heisman candidate in your first two college starts where you're stepping in for the injured starter, you'll never amount to shit. 

Nobody ever changes or improves.

Amount to shit? 

Nah, but I see no way a major P5 program is going to prioritize a QB like Murphy. 

4 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

My bad. Whatever happened to that Ewers guy after Texas chased him away last season? Probably better he never amounted to shit because the guy out there now seems pretty decent. 

If you think Ewers looked anything last year like Murphy did this year you should probably stop evaluating QBs. 

In Ewers 2nd start he was dicing up Alabama while Murphy was turning the ball over against K-State. Now that isn't to say Murphy is incapable of developing but this is a god awful comparison. Ewers was 20X more advanced as a passer last year. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

If you think Ewers looked anything last year like Murphy did this year you should probably stop evaluating QBs. 

In Ewers 2nd start he was dicing up Alabama while Murphy was turning the ball over against K-State. Now that isn't to say Murphy is incapable of developing but this is a god awful comparison. Ewers was 20X more advanced as a passer last year. 

Fuck off. You should probably read this very fucking site after Oklahoma State last year. 

You had a regarded take. Own it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Fuck off. You should probably read this very fucking site after Oklahoma State last year. 

You had a regarded take. Own it. 

Please show me the post. 

Either way, it's a huge stretch to think Murphy looked anything like Ewers did last year. They are nowhere similar from a developmental stage. Ewers was a much more advanced passer. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.