2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

yeah, I get it. 
questions -
  1. how many more transfers can we take?
  2. does it make sense to keep some powder dry (aside from Niblack) if we think more transfers are coming from UM and potentially other programs, depending on who UM taps to replace Harbaugh?
Just asking.  I don't know about roster spots left, who we might want, timelines, etc.
Don't worry about the numbers

Just now, BornAndRaised said:

I see your fairly new to the board. Welcome. The mantra regarding transfers/portal is, "don't worry about the numbers," the coaches are comfortable showing anyone the door if an immediate upgrade is available.

I see.  I guess I was wondering - if, for example, Michigan's players can leave due to coaching change opening the portal for 30 more days, but no one can leave from Texas because the portal is closed, would that put us in a pinch at all? 

also, if we pursue say a B+ player now, do we regret that if an A player at the same position comes available in a few weeks.  

just wondering. 

12 minutes ago, alphahydro said:

I see.  I guess I was wondering - if, for example, Michigan's players can leave due to coaching change opening the portal for 30 more days, but no one can leave from Texas because the portal is closed, would that put us in a pinch at all? 

also, if we pursue say a B+ player now, do we regret that if an A player at the same position comes available in a few weeks.  

just wondering. 

A couple things.

1) Classes start Tuesday so if any transfers want to be a part of spring practice, they have two weeks from Tuesday to enroll in classes

2) I don't think the 85 scholarship limit kicks in until the fall semester which leaves plenty of time to process players after the spring 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

1) Classes start Tuesday so if any transfers want to be a part of spring practice, they have two weeks from Tuesday to enroll in classes

Yeah I think the 31st is the last possible day 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Butler said:

The Sultan of Servite. The Colossus of Orange County. 

Tetairoa McMillan will likely just follow Fisch to Washington anyways

see what I did there made it clear to the readers who we're talking about we're not some 9.95 bullshit artists

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

Tetairoa McMillan will likely just follow Fisch to Washington anyways

see what I did there made it clear to the readers who we're talking about we're not some 9.95 bullshit artists

You’re wrong. What I did is more engaging. 

26 minutes ago, alphahydro said:

just wondering. 

In theory, we could process someone at any time, but spring ball would be the opportunity for coaches to see who/what position would be a weakness and process accordingly. You don't want to leave someone without being able to transfer.

2 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

You dont have enough rep to troll like this. I respect the hustle though. Posters in this section are trigger happy

longtime lurker just started posting. just a bad post about an old joke 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Nansen is hopefully already on the phone with Jacob Manu. Exactly the kind of LB addition our room needs and a monstrous upgrade over Gbenda. I get it might push a couple of guys out in the Spring portal if we add him but it is worth it. Bring that mother fucker over here. He took massive steps forward in 2023 and was first team All-PAC. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Nansen is hopefully already on the phone with Jacob Manu. Exactly the kind of LB addition our room needs and a monstrous upgrade over Gbenda. I get it might push a couple of guys out in the Spring portal if we add him but it is worth it. Bring that mother fucker over here. He took massive steps forward in 2023 and was first team All-PAC. 

Manu sounds great, but Sark didn't encourage Gbenda to come back for a 6th year to replace him. 

31 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

A couple things.

2) I don't think the 85 scholarship limit kicks in until the fall semester which leaves plenty of time to process players after the spring 

got it.  that's the info i was looking for. thanks. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, alphahydro said:

just wondering. 

There is NO cap on numbers in the "off-season"!!!  The 85 limit begins with the start of the new football season, so expect attrition to address whatever "surplus" may exist from the Spring heading into the summer when we expect 5ish additional freshman to join the team from the '24 class.  

Spring ball will go a long ways towards defining where the team is at roster wise, the pecking order in the position rooms, where any remaining deficiencies lay, etc. 

Post spring there will be another round of 1:1s between Sark and each player and then we'll inevitably see some more portal activity in/out with the end goal of getting the roster and respective players in the best position for success going forward. 

Edited by Shonen
Typo
  • Hook 'Em 4

25 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Manu sounds great, but Sark didn't encourage Gbenda to come back for a 6th year to replace him. 

I think it is more likely Blackwell that would hit the portal in April than having any real issues with Gbenda. Good chance Gbenda won't be starting anyway if we move Hill to MIKE as some seem to think is likely. Both guys on the two deep at MIKE and WILL are going to play roughly the same snap count anyway. You add Manu into that mix and the one pushed out is most likely Blackwell since I would expect Manu / Gbenda is your MIKE and Hill would then stay at Will with Leafu / Blackwell competing for backup spot (with Blackwell probably hitting the portal if it doesn't look good for him). 

I have no idea if we will even make a real effort for Manu so not worth worrying about (yet). Would be as big an upgrade or perhaps even bigger than the addition of adding Mukuba though. 

There’s not a lot to yearn for from Michigan outside of Graham, Johnson and maybe one other remaining starter on their defense. Those first two guys, should they portal, will go for prices above rubies, for sure.  

I think Michigan loses damned near the entire offense. They don’t recruit at an extremely high level and the backups may or may not be something above UT’s current level of replacement value in terms of backups on the depth chart. 

I agree that now there is actually merit in talking about McMillon and the portal, but, geez, pigs get fed and hogs get slaughtered. That would legitimately shake everything up on the WR end. 

Niblack is another where, Texas might kind of need a discount to get him. NIL fatigue at this point could be a big deal. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There’s not a lot to yearn for from Michigan outside of Graham, Johnson and maybe one other remaining starter on their defense. Those first two guys, should they portal, will go for prices above rubies, for sure.  

I think Michigan loses damned near the entire offense. They don’t recruit at an extremely high level and the backups may or may not be something above UT’s current level of replacement value in terms of backups on the depth chart. 

I agree that now there is actually merit in talking about McMillon and the portal, but, geez, pigs get fed and hogs get slaughtered. That would legitimately shake everything up on the WR end. 

Niblack is another where, Texas might kind of need a discount to get him. NIL fatigue at this point could be a big deal. 

Add Kenneth Grant and Colstan Loveland to this list if you’re looking for players that would make a major impact on the Texas two deep. Don't think any of them will leave, but all four of those are high end players (Day 2 picks at worst). Rayshaun Benny is another DT worth taking, but he’s a Michigan kid and even less likely to leave than the others.

Michigan prob promotes Sherrone Moore and I bet they don't have many transfers.

Regarding McMillan and others - some of y'all forget that money isn't unlimited and that each transfer we get takes chances away from young guys on the roster already. I'd love to see us get a TE and a DT but otherwise I'd be done in the portal. Maybe another safety and a "free" punter in case the freshman shits the bed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, EastHorn said:

The meltdown on SEC rant is glorious.  Like SEC fans acting like NIL is breaking college football.  I don't know about that.  Not when your school is doing the breaking.  Seems fine to me.  

Link please.

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Regarding McMillan and others - some of y'all forget that money isn't unlimited and that each transfer we get takes chances away from young guys on the roster already. I'd love to see us get a TE and a DT but otherwise I'd be done in the portal. Maybe another safety and a "free" punter in case the freshman shits the bed.

McMillan is the exception to the rule, baby. 

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I like the way you think. Daniel Trejo was a damned good punter and I believe a preferred walk on from FCS. Banks is very competent. I know he loves Kern, but I bet he's looking for another Trejo. 

Can Texas still get back in with Caldwell or did he sign papers? I think they need another DT. 

Hopefully there will be a cheap TE in the spring portal window. 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.