2024 Transfer Thread - The Pedantic Circlejerk

Just now, Newy25 said:

Wait, so Williams didn’t commit? Those guys just accidentally put that out there? 

It was likely just a pre-made release in case he commits.  Shouldn't have been posted.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Newy25 said:

Wait, so Williams didn’t commit? Those guys just accidentally put that out there? 

some ou people on twitter say he's already in Norman.. so I would think he didn't lol..if true

IT:

*****Edit 11:16 a.m.

I now have Oklahoma as the favorite. There's a caveat, though. OU has been steadfast they'll match the best offer and there's some skepticism over whether or not they can do that.

I've contemplated an OU RPM because it's basically a no-lose situation with the best outcome being their fans get their hopes up only for me to be wrong and he picks UT.

It's best to probably let things continue to play out. OU, UT, LSU, Missouri. LSU and Missouri might actually be out of it at this point.

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

WTF. Why are all the beats that cover Texas  college Football (other than OTF) full of a bunch of morons?

FIFY

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

IT:

I now have Oklahoma as the favorite. There's a caveat, though. OU has been steadfast they'll match the best offer and there's some skepticism over whether or not they can do that.

I've contemplated an OU RPM because it's basically a no-lose situation with the best outcome being their fans get their hopes up only for me to be wrong and he picks UT.

It's best to probably let things continue to play out. OU, UT, LSU, Missouri. LSU and Missouri might actually be out of it at this point.

I may be hope-casting but I can't see Sark letting us go into the season without some kind of proven interior linemen such as Damonic. 

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I may be hope-casting but I can't see Sark letting us go into the season without some kind of proven interior linemen such as Damonic. 

Norton is proven.. Savea is promising coming off last season too

• Like 1

Just now, Thiefery said:

Norton is proven.. Savea is promising coming off last season too

Neither of those guys are of the level of player that Damonic is though. 

So we have 1 over the nose guy in Norton that can eat up blocks, Savea who is a good anchor guy, the hope that Collins shows out, and Broughton as of now who was improved last season but still leaves a lot to be desired from the position. 

6 minutes ago, victory88 said:

That LSU office looks like it's 25 years old.  

That's where they take you when you get caught shoplifting at the mall. 

• Haha 6

31 minutes ago, Red Five said:

IT:

ff9d2cf4-0513-48d2-9136-620c06a8f728_tex

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So we have 1 over the nose guy in Norton that can eat up blocks, Savea who is a good anchor guy, the hope that Collins shows out, and Broughton as of now who was improved last season but still leaves a lot to be desired from the position. 

Meh, I don't buy this argument.  If he's better it's not by much. I really don't understand all the hand wringing on DT.  I've love to have Williams, but I don't think we win any more games because of him or lose any more not having him.  

Will we give up more 3rd/4th and shorts?  Probably, but I think our edges will be so much better this year that it will alleviate the need to get consistent pressure on the QB up the middle.  We just need run stoppers and guys who can free up the LBs.  I think we already have that on campus.

DB is much more of a concern for me.  I'd rather give up a few more 3rd/4th and shorts, than give up 3rd/4th and longs because we can't cover slants, hi-lows, or bunch formations.

• Hook 'Em 4

36 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Me reacting to the idea that BOW has any fucking clue about the actual level of play of Savea, Norton, or Williams. 

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

11 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

DB is much more of a concern for me.  I'd rather give up a few more 3rd/4th and shorts, than give up 3rd/4th and longs because we can't cover slants, hi-lows, or bunch formations.

Do you think our inability to cover would be fixed by bringing in a CB of the talent level found in the portal?  Is talent level even the issue?

7 minutes ago, Yesh said:

Do you think our inability to cover would be fixed by bringing in a CB of the talent level found in the portal?  Is talent level even the issue?

lol wut. We’ve never had great talent at CB. Coaching and talent are both issues. If we bring in a better CB than what we currently have, like the San Jose State kid, then our coverage would improve. Plus we need depth at CB. We don’t have much besides the true freshmen, who may or may not be ready to play by the Fall. 

16 minutes ago, Yesh said:

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

lol wut. We’ve never had great talent at CB. Coaching and talent are both issues. If we bring in a better CB than what we currently have, like the San Jose State kid, then our coverage would improve. Plus we need depth at CB. We don’t have much besides the true freshmen, who may or may not be ready to play by the Fall. 

Agree with @Burt Macklin.  Coaching is definitely an issue, but if we can get some guys, like Manny, who have a natural coverage ability coaching becomes less of an issue.  

I haven't seen any of Jayvion's college tape, but his HS reel is impressive...and he basically had zero technique...just great instincts.  Still have no idea how he didn't get any Power 5 offers out of HS.

I'm all in favor of bringing in a guy or two, for depth or even to start ahead of Holmes and the freshmen.  Of course we should take any opportunity to improve.  I just wouldn't expect it to be significant.  You could put Stingley on last year's team and opponents would still just throw to whoever Thompson or Crawford were covering.  I'm assuming better safety play and pass rush will make more of a difference.

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Dumb this down for me. If Sweat/Murphy were 9s, and Collins is a 7, and the Arizona guys are 5/6s, where do we slot Williams. 

Based on your scale I would say he has currently been an 8 with the upside of possibly becoming a 9 by the end of next season. Really just a question of where his ceiling is and how maximized he already is as a player. Either way he immediately would be our best DT if he came here. 

There seems to be a difference of opinion as to whether he will turn that corner and become a surefire first round pick type player or just stay where he is which is still very damn good but probably not "lets pay this guy 1M+" good. 

1 minute ago, Yesh said:

I'm all in favor of bringing in a guy or two, for depth or even to start ahead of Holmes and the freshmen.  Of course we should take any opportunity to improve.  I just wouldn't expect it to be significant.  You could put Stingley on last year's team and opponents would still just throw to whoever Thompson or Crawford were covering.  I'm assuming better safety play and pass rush will make more of a difference.

It’s not like we had good CB play last year.  Watts and Brooks were getting burned plenty too. Having a 2nd year Muhammad and Cole as our starters would be a meaningful improvement, and like you admitted, we’ve improved at safety so getting better CB play is more important this year. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s not like we had good CB play last year.  Watts and Brooks were getting burned plenty too. Having a 2nd year Muhammad and Cole as our starters would be a meaningful improvement, and like you admitted, we’ve improved at safety so getting better CB play is more important this year. 

With DE upgrades the DBs shouldn't have as long to cover since the QB will be on his ass, so unless the SEC allows wholesale BS offensive-holding like the Big12-crooked-jihad refs allowed last year, pass-situation defense should be better than last year.

It also would help if the new DBs have abilities that overcome bad defensive coaching, much like VY and the offense overcame GDGD.

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You’re telling me the guy with a washed up RB coach as a handler pretending that he’s the one being recruited is playing games and asking for an unreasonable amount of money? I hate the new NIL bidding process. I miss the good old days when if a handler wanted to make money off a kid he just fucked the kid’s mom. Simpler times. 

Say hi to laramie’s mom for me eh?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Any Twitter scientist understand why Texas didn't get this type of tweet this morning? 

I haven't been paying attention- is this guy 'The Uncle' or something?

All of this handwringing over defense and whether we need secondary help or line help tells me, in comparison to the offense, we’re not doing a great job building personnel on that side of the ball. It feels like we keep patching holes, at least more so than offense.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - The Pedantic Circlejerk