2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Baron gives me strong Ben Davis vibes. I’d rather take Solomon Williams if there’s only 1 spot available. 

Baron did more at Tennessee than Davis did at Bama, I think he’s more like Ochuaun Mathis, FWIW. And Baron is a one year rental while Williams is a high school recruit so I think they’d take both. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - Nahlin (IT) posted this morning that Texas would take both Moore (the edge from UTSA) and the Tennessee edge Baron.

Makes sense given they would play a different position 

10 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Do we have confirmation that Baron made it on campus?

Supposed to come today 

9 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I mean you literally just explained that they won the national championship two years in a row and then missed the playoff this year. I know we're not used to that level of national prominence recently but that's the definition of headed down. 

I'm as hopeful as anybody that they are headed downward, but catching one loss to Alabama isn't necessarily indicative of that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is a scorching hawt take that belongs on the football board. Good lord. 

Baron had 28 tackles and 6 sacks this season. Ben Davis has 7 tackles and 1 sack in two years at Bama before transferring. 

That take is so bad it comes across as a trolling attempt but I know the handle is actually serious. 

Why do you and Sydney both use the term “scorching hawt take”?

59 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - Nahlin (IT) posted this morning that Texas would take both Moore (the edge from UTSA) and the Tennessee edge Baron.

We have a healthy room full of edges (?) and we return everyone. We're also bringing in an absolute monster at Buck. Are we expected to lose some Tapp/Finkley types to the portal?

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Baron had 28 tackles and 6 sacks this season. Ben Davis has 7 tackles and 1 sack in two years at Bama before transferring. 

That take is so bad it comes across as a trolling attempt but I know the handle is actually serious. 

Ben Davis was a back-up that hardly played and Baron was a starter on a top 25 defense. Matter of fact, Baron was a top 4 or 5 player on their defense according to PFF. 

Jesus, what a terrible comparison. 

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We have a healthy room full of edges (?) and we return everyone. We're also bringing in an absolute monster at Buck. Are we expected to lose some Tapp/Finkley types to the portal?

No. ITs position is Texas is losing two monsters in the middle and know they can’t replace like for like.  So they’re looking for BPA on DL. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

What if Baron leads Texas in sacks and Bill says "I told you he's just like Ben!"

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 3

4 hours ago, ousux said:
4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:
CJ Vogel says that Casey Cain, Sawyer Gorman-Welch, and Larry Turner-Gooden were at practice yesterday. 

Watching or participating? If it's the latter it means Sark understands the portal opens way too soon after the CCG's and before the playoffs.

"At practice on Friday and expected to be with the team throughout the playoffs," is how Vogel phrased it. The quote isn't specific but given how Sark phrased it initially (if players continued to do the right things at practice etc) the only conclusion is they're there to practice. Unless, of course, any of them change their mind.

Edited by Chopper

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'm hungover but y'all are confusing the shit out of me. That's like saying "They know they can't replace Bijan, so the plan is to be seven-deep at every WR position." 

I think his point is just that if we can get great edges and make that a strength, that would be a better option than trying to replace two elite DTs, which may be a futile effort (and involve reaches at that position / cost some roster spots).

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Getafix said:

I think his point is just that if we can get great edges and make that a strength, that would be a better option than trying to replace two elite DTs, which may be a futile effort (and involve reaches at that position / cost some roster spots).

Yes - Texas is in a position, because of their scoring, that they would expect teams to throw the ball significantly more than pass, especially in the second half of games.  With all of the edge talent Texas could potentially have next year they could rotate in fresh guys constantly and play a NASCAR type package for the majority of a game (or at least in the second half). 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'm hungover but y'all are confusing the shit out of me. That's like saying "They know they can't replace Bijan, so the plan is to be seven-deep at every WR position." 

It'd be more similar to they cant replace Sanders so they're trying to replace his production with an elite slot guy. We have disrupted the QB with our DTs this year, if we cant replace that production we will try to get that disruption from some portal DEs. 

• Hook 'Em 4

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.