2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I wasn’t expecting that. Whoever lands him pulled one off. 

I wonder if he checked the box for open to communication or not. (which makes me laugh. If you check the no communication box, it is basically admitting to tampering. not that the NCAA cares)

Edited by Codaxx

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I wonder if he checked the box for open to communication or not. (which makes me laugh. If you check the no communication box, it is basically admitting to tampering. not that the NCAA cares)

Not necessarily.  I you don't check it and you are a good player, you are going to be bombarded with calls from every school.  Better to check the box and then reach out to the schools you are actually interested in, correct?

But also lol at NCAA and tampering.

6 minutes ago, Yesh said:

Not necessarily.  I you don't check it and you are a good player, you are going to be bombarded with calls from every school.  Better to check the box and then reach out to the schools you are actually interested in, correct?

But also lol at NCAA and tampering.

Most times when they check that box, the destination is already done. It is isnt 100% accurate, but I dont get my hopes up on a kid that has the no-communication box checked (unless the Texas rumors have been circling for awhile)

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Demarco Cobbs comes to mind.

didn't he have that wild recruiting/hosting streak then fight some OU recruit on a visit who was negative recruiting Texas?

edit: recruiting info https://247sports.com/article/where-are-they-now-texas-longhorns-football-linebacker-demarco-cobbs-47683019/

He hosted Shiro Davis, who was committed to LSU at the time. He hosted Dalton Santos, who ended up flipping his commitment from Tennessee. The last recruit he hosted was current linebacker Malik Jefferson.

The only recruit that Cobbs missed on was Dorial Green-Beckham, who ended up committing to Missouri.

“The recruiting aspect intrigues me the most,” Cobbs said. “I was so passionate about [Texas]… just helping get guys here. I was just pumped up about that; I looked forward to it. I really wanted to tell them that Texas was a special place.”

edit2: fight info from @HtownHorn

image.thumb.png.83893551ac9e3355749669c8880ef051.png

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Has there been some research on this? I would hate for opinions or speculation to be confused with facts.

I have heard guys liek Gerry and Bobby talk about this, but I doubt any actual research has been done on this. 

5 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Is this the part of the program where we get attached to every DT going into the Portal?

Because that is what has been happening. Every single DT. Not just a top talent playing a few hours down the road playing for a team from our former conference, every single DT. That is exactly what has been happening. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

didn't he have that wild recruiting/hosting streak then fight some OU recruit on a visit who was negative recruiting Texas?

edit: recruiting info https://247sports.com/article/where-are-they-now-texas-longhorns-football-linebacker-demarco-cobbs-47683019/

edit2: fight info from @HtownHorn

image.thumb.png.83893551ac9e3355749669c8880ef051.png

Indeed. A fantastic representative for Texas! I didn't realize he's a HS coach. Hook'em Demarco!

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Because that is what has been happening. Every single DT. Not just a top talent playing a few hours down the road playing for a team from our former conference, every single DT. That is exactly what has been happening. 

I realize snark is the currency of choice on the board. That being said I wasn't targeting anyone with my comment. More like the portal period is ramping up to the 48hr marker of having paperwork filed and names being in the portal. I'm sure more than a few posters heads will snap back and forth like a ping pong match, whether the player in question is a good or bad take.

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

Don't even get your hopes up. It is USC. They almost had him in the Winter portal but he wanted to see how that new defensive staff would come together first. Apparently he liked what he was hearing from people he knows on that roster. Unless something really crazy happens I doubt he even takes other visits. Maybe he will use it as an excuse to get some free travel in but USC came in way over market value to make sure this one doesn't turn into a bidding war with others.

Obviously something could change but I've been expecting this one for weeks. This info per one of the bigger contributors to USC's NIL efforts. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Don't even get your hopes up. It is USC. They almost had him in the Winter portal but he wanted to see how that new defensive staff would come together first. Apparently he liked what he was hearing from people he knows on that roster. Unless something really crazy happens I doubt he even takes other visits. Maybe he will use it as an excuse to get some free travel in but USC came in way over market value to make sure this one doesn't turn into a bidding war with others.

Obviously something could change but I've been expecting this one for weeks. This info per one of the bigger contributors to USC's NIL efforts. 

Fuck that.

Give him something to think about.

• Hook 'Em 4

IMG_8373.gif

more like TCU found some additional money over the winter but couldn't find any more when USC upped their number in the spring.  Kid continually shopped himself to maximize his value. It's the new normal, no shame in that.

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think calling Brown a "bust" is fair by @texifornia. It's not like any of us were projecting him to be a starter during his recruitment. I think you can follow recruiting and project them within reason and the understanding that any single player is always a wild card and can never be considered a sure thing.

Little Nigel just finished the recruiting process.  It was actually like I expected but even more so.  As he got older and his teammates/opponents were recruited, I realized how little any of the coaches knew about the player, history, tendencies, etc.  It hammered home why it is basically a 50/50 proposition in recruiting.  The coaches can only know so much.  It is interesting to see coaches recruit kids and see how superficial it almost has to be.  More than a few times I was scratching my head as to why they were looking at certain kids.  But I don't bat 1.000 either.

It was certainly fun, but it got tiresome really quickly.  That, and coming out of conversations with coaches thinking, "I am doing life wrong."  It is mind boggling that some of them make the money they do.  But I guess it's like that with most things.  One thing I can say with certainty, the $9.95ers don't know anything unless the player has told the coach and they share that with the $9.95er.  It is all guessing.  They have no idea.  Most of the time the player doesn't know yet, and the family certainly doesn't know, but they are reading things about where the player is leaning.  Comical.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

Little Nigel just finished the recruiting process.  It was actually like I expected but even more so.  As he got older and his teammates/opponents were recruited, I realized how little any of the coaches knew about the player, history, tendencies, etc.  It hammered home why it is basically a 50/50 proposition in recruiting.  The coaches can only know so much.  It is interesting to see coaches recruit kids and see how superficial it almost has to be.  More than a few times I was scratching my head as to why they were looking at certain kids.  But I don't bat 1.000 either.

It was certainly fun, but it got tiresome really quickly.  That, and coming out of conversations with coaches thinking, "I am doing life wrong."  It is mind boggling that some of them make the money they do.  But I guess it's like that with most things.  One thing I can say with certainty, the $9.95ers don't know anything unless the player has told the coach and they share that with the $9.95er.  It is all guessing.  They have no idea.  Most of the time the player doesn't know yet, and the family certainly doesn't know, but they are reading things about where the player is leaning.  Comical.

Sorry if this is common knowledge around here, but what sport is your kid being recruited for?  

2 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

It’s not common knowledge.  I just now put it out there since he is done.  He had 18 football offers, 5 baseball, and a couple in track.  He will play football and run track in college.

Huh. Would’ve thought he played guitar in a rock ‘n’ roll band, like his old man.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

The guys who don’t have relationships with the individual recruits are all just pure speculating. They are guessing on the lean off gut, but they know the interest in most cases which is good enough. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

It’s not common knowledge.  I just now put it out there since he is done.  He had 18 football offers, 5 baseball, and a couple in track.  He will play football and run track in college.

That's awesome, congrats to the whole fam.

Sounds like someone just saved a shit load of money for retirement, lol.

Mind if I ask where he decided to go?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

Prefer not to doxx right now.  But he is really excited and that makes us really happy.  Running in the Regional meet this week.  May be his last HS sporting event.

Are you sure you don't want to give us your SSN and DOB?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

Prefer not to doxx right now.  But he is really excited and that makes us really happy.  Running in the Regional meet this week.  May be his last HS sporting event.

I get it, you're only making plans for Nigel.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

Most of the time the player doesn't know yet, and the family certainly doesn't know, but they are reading things about where the player is leaning.  Comical.

Did lots of teams "push" for your kid?  Did any "back off", or did they make him "a priority"?  And:  did anybody "surge"?

14 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Did lots of teams "push" for your kid?  Did any "back off", or did they make him "a priority"?  And:  did anybody "surge"?

Exactly.  If I can't answer that, how can anyone else? 

We were very clear from the start for him to do his best to "see through" the recruitment.  It's sales.  It's his (and our) job to try to see the best school for him that also fits well with football.  If you base things on how well a staff recruited you, there is a really good chance that you will not go to the best place for you.  We told him that it shouldn't matter if the school that is the best combo of school and football wasn't the best recruitment.  The best choice may be the school that was 5th best recruiting you.  I am well aware that we are a minority among the recruited families in this line of thinking.

I could go for days about recruiting services, the head scratching dance of how to get rated, etc.  Again, even among the "experts" it's 50/50.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This feels like rolling in for the OV and committing.

That’s what I was thinking. That visit was set up pretty quick. Hopefully we can get a legit visit, not a Jordan Addison “pretend to be interested but already have a check from my actual choice” type of visit. 

Edited by TXRed

1 hour ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

The best choice may be the school that was 5th best recruiting you.  I am well aware that we are a minority among the recruited families in this line of thinking.

Nigel, not this again.

image.png.0ed46d33b9e594c8188c6fd66858a7ee.png

2aa0c1e603ff7b4c2c39c8f3ce48387c

• Hook 'Em 4

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.