2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

Sark talks a lot about “culture fit”. I imagine a big part of “culture fit” is the portal recruit expressing interest in more than maximizing NIL and also committing to not trying to leverage for more NIL in the future. The wrong attitudes about NIL built that Ag 2022 class and then ranked the Ag 2022-2023 seasons. 

And, of course, I have no insight into discussions with Texas recruits and will just assume they are all real princes, wrt character, attitude and culture. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, statsman said:

I imagine a big part of “culture fit” is the portal recruit expressing interest in more than maximizing NIL and also committing to not trying to leverage for more NIL in the future.

Xavier Worthy and Jahdae Barron say hello

However, compared to thr Bear Alexanders of the world, they actually bust their ass in practice.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This notion of "need" regarding DT has gotten out of hand across the longhorn netdom and the media it follows. We "need" oxygen. The football team "needs" depth and a standout QB. It would be nice to have another anchor at DT for this season. I hope the plans for one come together and Texas has another excellent option on the roster by the summertime.

That said, all aspects of the defense are going to be better around these spots, and that lessens the urgency that many are espousing. Texas has better depth across the board, better experience at every other spot, and better talent everywhere else. There's also quality talent at the DT positions and that talent can be realized. Texas isn't trotting out Alex Norman and Gerald Wilbon on the interior DL this year irrespective of whether they bring another guy in from the portal or not.

To this point, yesterday I was thinking about how the current DT group could compare to recent years. Sure they won't match last year, but could they match the 2022 rotation of Coburn/Ojomo and younger Sweat/Murphy? I think so. And I think that would be perfectly adequate. 

ETA this is counting on someone like Bill Norton joining and being an acceptable nose. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

34 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

To this point, yesterday I was thinking about how the current DT group could compare to recent years. Sure they won't match last year, but could they match the 2022 rotation of Coburn/Ojomo and younger Sweat/Murphy? I think so. And I think that would be perfectly adequate. 

ETA this is counting on someone like Bill Norton joining and being an acceptable nose. 

I would take the 2022 DT room over this year (as of right now), but they’re in the ballpark. My biggest concern is that both Collins and Broughton are guys who have flashed and made an impact at times, but they’re inconsistent. I don’t love the idea of them starting next to each other, as both have been iffy against the run at times. Savea is very solid against the run so maybe he becomes a running mate with one of them to solidify that. I assume our top 4 DTs will get a similar amount of snaps, so who’s technically starting isn’t all that important. 

For context, our 2022 team only gave up 3.5 yds per carry, which was 15th in the country. Last year, we jumped to 2.9 and 5th in the country.  

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I think the issue is this group is different. This group is missing that guy, who you trust to anchor vs the double team. I dont see a 2 gapping DT that is ready to see a ton of action this year, but maybe Sydir or January surprises. That does not mean there isnt talent on the DL. This will likely be the most athletic set of DTs Texas has had in some time. PK may just have to tweak the approach this year. Be more aggressive upfront to take advantage of that athleticism, since there is no immoveable object on the DL like Sweat. I believe the back end will be better this year and that should help in the run game also (bringing down a safety more often). 

16 hours ago, Teryor said:

No idea how credible he is but 🤷‍♂️

16 hours ago, Daichee Bell said:

I don’t trust any of the Carls.

Carl Reed Jr.'s dad was once Man of the Year at Shermer High.

image.png.13ea0455aff9a66da202c19483071d44.png

He then pursued a career in the Custodial Arts and landed a strategic position at his alma mater in order to become "the eyes and ears of this institution." I think we can trust him.

image.png.e9604e67d157ee64ff0421beb52d7c09.png

10 minutes ago, PsychMike said:

Carl Reed Jr.'s dad was once Man of the Year at Shermer High.

image.png.13ea0455aff9a66da202c19483071d44.png

He then pursued a career in the Custodial Arts and landed a strategic position at his alma mater in order to become "the eyes and ears of this institution." I think we can trust him.

image.png.e9604e67d157ee64ff0421beb52d7c09.png

Yeah, but he sometimes masquerades as "Rudy the Oily Bohunk", so tread lightly:

kapelos+sixteen.bmp

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Boy, the last two posts here sailed right over my head.

Be sure to have your trigger finger ready to post a screed on why The Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles are just terrible, humorless movies.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Be sure to have your trigger finger ready to post a screed on why The Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles are just terrible, humorless movies.

I saw each once when I was little. I remember naked females in Sixteen Candles and some quotes from both, that's it. I have a buddy who is obsessed with all of those movies, but they didn't get hooks into me. Seem like good stuff for folks of a certain age though.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

You clearly need to brush up on your minor characters from John Hughes movies of the 80’s if you want to keep up with this crowd. 

No shit...I've probably seen Breakfast Club 100 times, so of course I remember Carl, but I had no idea his last name was Reed.

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think Texas was prepared on Williams. That tells me that USC and OU have been working him longer. Seems like a really tough pull. 

Do you see it as a all hands on deck to try situation? NVM that seems obvious....but maybe we can package something better than both with a player of his caliber?

Edited by BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think Texas was prepared on Williams. That tells me that USC and OU have been working him longer. Seems like a really tough pull. 

I get that Bo is gone, but with Texas putting 2 DTs in the NFL this year, you'd think that would be a big selling point.

Especially after seeing the hot garbage both ou and USC put out on display across the D-line last year.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

You'd think Toia -> USC and Damonic -> Texas would just make sense. I'd be happy with either of them.

Toia initially transferred to UCLA from USC and I think burned some bridges on the way out. I actually think he's a better player than Williams and has supposedly put a lot of work into his body this offseason. He was spectacular against the run last year and I suspect he could see a Sweat/Murphy type breakout this year. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Toia > Texas
Damaonic > Texas
Bill Norton > Texas
Kenneth Grant > Texas
Mason Graham > Texas

Until proven otherwise.

I think Texas is greater than all of them, but maybe that's just me.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

I get that Bo is gone, but with Texas putting 2 DTs in the NFL this year, you'd think that would be a big selling point.

Especially after seeing the hot garbage both ou and USC put out on display across the D-line last year.

The thing is that the coach that put those two guys in the NFL is gone. So yes claim it but it can easily be countered.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.