2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

10 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Why did Gillibrand vote against Mattis? Mattis was pretty good. Probably why he isn't in office anymore, and Trump outsourced the Defense Department to Boeing. 

Do Acting Secretaries get their names on the historic list of office holders?  Shanahan has actually done the job longer than Mattis did. 

As far a voting goes, Gillibrand is the most anti-Trump senator.  It was her schtick for political reasons, obviously. 

Little late to the rankings talk, but here's my list:

Group I'm ok with: Warren, Booker, Harris, and Bernie.

Group that needs more experience, or needs to run for senate/governor in their state: Pete, and Beto

Group I don't care for: Tulsi, Biden, and Gillibrand. 

Anybody I didn't mention is someone I would need convincing for. 

9 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Group that needs more experience, or needs to run for senate/governor in their state: Pete, and Beto

tenor.gif

764957-01-02castro.gif

You know what? There's so many candidates I forgot about Castro. 

I guess he's in the group I need convincing for, but with prior cabinet experience it wouldn't take me much to support him if he were the nominee. 

Oh I completely forgot to add Gravel to the group I don't care for. 

7 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Feel bad for Castro.  Just gives off a chief of staff vibe.  Fuck, if Ted was running next year instead of this, one of the twins might have been able to beat the asshole junior Senator from Texas. 

Might - if they had the huevos to run. (They dont) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Might - if they had the huevos to run. (They dont

Truth.

The Castros are not political animals. They've done the steady climb the local ladder with the proper permission thing their entire careers.

Julian's only real political win was winning the Mayoral race and that only happened after he was granted permission by the powers (business leaders) that be in San Antonio. The man is not a leader.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Feel bad for Castro.  Just gives off a chief of staff vibe. 

Because he has middle management written all over him. Contrast him to Buttigieg who comes off as a disruptive CEO type that is attempting to carve out a niche industry.

7 hours ago, Skyline said:

Warren is in the lead for me right now. I like Kamala and Bernie, too. 

But, man, ALL of them are head and shoulders above Trump. Voting for every single one in the general would be the easiest decision ever. 

12 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Kate McKinnon is a treasure and this short minute and a half sketch perfectly expresses the difference in the way the media covers men and women candidates.

And Amtrak Masseuse is fucking hilarious.

That's effing great.

She's still a dumb smart person though. Ross Perot had graphs.

8 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Kate McKinnon is a treasure and this short minute and a half sketch perfectly expresses the difference in the way the media covers men and women candidates.

And Amtrak Masseuse is fucking hilarious.

Fucking A I love her 

As of today:
1) Harris (who I support at the moment)
2) Mayor Pete (who I would probably support if he was 10 years older and a former governor, cabinet secretary or congressman)
3) Biden (who I think will won the nomination)
4) Warren (who would serve us better as head of the CFPB or Attorney General)
5) Beto (who should be a congressman from El Paso until he develops a harder edge and then run against Abbott)
6) Bennett (who I really like and should have gotten in sooner)
7) the large group of serious people
8) Bernie
9) Gillibrand
10) the small group of unserious people

Kamala is the "establishment" feeling candidate (Booker, Klobuchar, Biden) I feel like I'd most get behind.  I think she could do well.

I like Beto, Buttigieg, Warren.  Dislike Tulsi and Gillibrand.  I don't dislike Bernie, but I'd rather not.  Goddammit please not Biden.

Of course I will vote for any human candidate who is not Donald Trump.  

12 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Kamala is the "establishment" feeling candidate (Booker, Klobuchar, Biden) I feel like I'd most get behind.  I think she could do well.

I like Beto, Buttigieg, Warren.  Dislike Tulsi and Gillibrand.  I don't dislike Bernie, but I'd rather not.  Goddammit please not Biden.

This is exactly my layout, and previous to Trump I've been a Libertarian for a long, long time. 

Fuck me, supporters of Trump have almost permanently poisoned the Republican well for me. 

17 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Yeah, all of this. 1) Warren 2) Pete 3) Harris 4) Beto. 2-4 are pretty interchangeable. 

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

This is exactly my layout, and previous to Trump I've been a Libertarian for a long, long time. 

Fuck me, supporters of Trump have almost permanently poisoned the Republican well for me. 

I will vote against any current republican for the rest of my life as a matter of integrity.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Js1 said:

It does feel like Harris may I  be the “compromise” candidate as she’s in most top 3s

Which is sort of odd because she's one of the weakest on policy, she's not considered a great or inspirational orator/candidate, she's very good a fundraising, but hasn't gotten great reviews on the campaign trail, she courts Wall Street money (she has sworn off corp PAC money basically after others did), she's not progressive, she's malleable (not principled?) on policy, and her history on human/civil rights is.... complicated.  She's interesting as she seems to be keeping her head down and letting the big guns bludgeon each other and she seems to be an aspirational candidate of what she maybe could be.  Smart, female and African-American.  Her best performances are being..... lawyerly, which would seem to make her a natural for the AG position but not necessarily for President.  She's a tough one to figure out because she's intentionally trying to stay nimble or even nebulous.  Definitely not saying she couldn't or wouldn't be a good candidate but she's sort of skating right now.

This seems like a fair assessment:

Voters at her campaign events almost uniformly say she captured their attention in September with her tough questioning of then-Supreme Court nominee Brett M. Kavanaugh, an episode reminiscent of this week’s interrogation of Barr. For Harris, who presents herself as a hard-nosed ex-prosecutor, a sense of equivocation or timidity could undermine the persona that attracted voters in the first place.

For many analysts, Harris’s April 22 appearance at a CNN town hall meeting encapsulated her challenge. She announced a major policy initiative, saying she would take executive action shortly after becoming president to expand gun control if Congress does not act. But that announcement was overshadowed when she declined to answer questions on whether imprisoned felons should be able to vote and on whether the voting age should drop to 16.

Instead of stating a position, Harris said she was “open to the conversation” about those issues, a phrase she used so many times that night that CNN aired a montage, panning the line as a go-to dodge.

Harris characterizes such responses as thoughtfulness, not evasion. “I’m going to be very thoughtful and serious about the issues I weigh in on,” Harris said. “I’m going to think about it. I’m going to talk to experts, and I’m going to make a decision and I’ll let you know.”

• Like 1

I really like Harris, and she's at or near the top of my list.  But her lack of Black endorsements is concerning. 

Biden has picked up Black endorsements over Harris, and some might be shocked but I'm really not.  Don't underestimate the Black vote (I know we aren't a single thing) to get behind Biden for a few reasons.  #1 - Blacks HATE trump and his open racism.  Don't let those little videos or candace owens confuse you.  If you want to see fake news (such a dumbass phrase) then there it is.  Sure, there might be a Black here and there that side with trump (which is a whole topic of it's own), but trump will get the same % of Black votes that most other republican candidates get during the election.  #2 - Blacks appreciate the connection Biden has to Obama, the first Black president.  #3 - I think some Black people see reason #2 and like Uncle Joe because they know him.  That isn't to say that someone like Harris, Beto, or Sanders couldn't pick up Black votes, which Beto speaking at the Paul Quinn College graduation was a great move, imo.  But from what I'm seeing, it's going to take a lot to pull the Black vote away from Biden. 

What I'm noticing though is if you get into the online stuff (twitter, etc.) more Blacks are in the Harris/Beto corner.  This could be an age thing, but I dunno. 

We will have a big family gathering on Mother's Day (first Mother's Day with my Memaw gone), so I plan to take a poll. 

• Like 2

IIRC it took blacks a little while to warm up to Obama in 2008 over Hillary because they weren’t sold on his electability.  It wasn’t until Obama’s strong showing in Iowa that the black vote really swung to Obama.  

The black voting block is more sophisticated than most when it comes to picking candidates and they’re also more risk averse.  Probably because they have to be, sadly.

I hope like hell Warren can take some of Biden's likability with black people then, just show how much he has supported the War on Drugs and tough on crime laws that have disproportionately affected black men and women.

• Like 1

People forget Clinton lost WWC in the Midwest and didn’t turn out enough African Americans in Madison, Detroit and Philly. There’s 2 ways to win the Midwest and one is easier than courting Obama-Trump WWC voters 

This primary is about securing the Democratic party's real priorities. Electability is a phantom concern.

This kind of thing must be burnt out of the Democratic Party or else there is no real point in bothering to worry about who is going to face or beat Trump.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

This primary is about securing the Democratic party's real priorities. Electability is a phantom concern.

This kind of thing must be burnt out of the Democratic Party or else there is no real point in bothering to worry about who is going to face or beat Trump.

It's going to take quite some time to get neoliberalism out of the Democratic Party. This is America. We are capitalists.

Just now, bad_teammate said:

Gotta start somewhere.

True, but you might want to at least start mentally preparing yourself for Joe Biden being the nominee, just so it doesn't hurt as much to vote for him in November 2020. 

But until then, by all means, do everything you can to prevent him from winning the nomination. 

Biden is basically an 80's Republican. While that may excite some (e.g. the olds), it won't excite the passionate voters who drove a lot of the increased engagement during the mid-terms. The established D (e.g. Pelosi, et al) seem to actively hate the left wing of the party.

Voters need to realize that if the top of the ticket does not excite and drive voter turn out, it will be a terrible outcome even if Ds capture the presidency as down ballot won't result in voting out Rs or shitty Ds.

I doubt Biden can drive that excitement and don't understand anyone that has Biden in their top 3 choices. 

• Like 1

Quit talking about concentrated power and start talking about concentrated milk.

35 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Thread. Something to think about when candidates talk about democratic reform. 

People need to move and invest away from the population centers.

I’m considering moving to Kentucky to vote against McConnell next year.

just kidding but not really 

https://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/must-read/close-the-gaps-disparities-that-threaten-america

These days, the American dream is more apt to be realized in South America, in places such as Ecuador, Venezuela and Argentina, where incomes are actually more equal today than they are in the land of Horatio Alger. Who's the banana republic now?

ouch

https://www.peoplespunditdaily.com/news/politics/2019/02/19/does-bernie-sanders-still-think-the-american-dream-is-more-apt-to-be-realized-in-venezuela/

Edited by Zavala

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Thread. Something to think about when candidates talk about democratic reform. 

I thought that by 2040, all major coastal cities would be underwater.

Well which is it, young feller? Do I drive to Disneyworld, or swim there?

• Like 1

People forget Clinton lost WWC in the Midwest and didn’t turn out enough African Americans in Madison, Detroit and Philly. There’s 2 ways to win the Midwest and one is easier than courting Obama-Trump WWC voters 

Ding ding motherfucking ding. Though I assume you mean Milwaukee and not Madison. Well documented that the black vote was down in 16. Four years of Trump with the prospect of four more will be a hell of a motivator. Really that applies to several predominantly urban voting blocs. Increase turnout in Phillly, Detroit, etc, and every single Trumpkin can show up to vote and it won't matter.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Random thoughts from the center.

1. I will vote for any Democrat candidate over Trump, no matter who gets the nomination.
2. I can’t envision voting for a Republican other than Trump if they were to defeat Trump. Ballooning the debt and sticking with Trump put them on the no vote list, unless something highly unusual happens.
3. Haven’t researched the demo candidates enough yet, but I like 1) Harris, 2) Warren as top two. Booker, Delaney, Klobuchar, Ryan, Buttigieg, Mouton, Castro need to be researched more.
4. Biden and Bernie are too old. Don’t want to vote for someone that old. If they win the nomination, I’d vote for them however.
5. I like Bernie’s position on attacking drug prices. The free college goes too far for me, but some form of greater support for college is interesting. Not fully up to speed on the exact model he has for college.
6. The winning healthcare solution is unclear. Might or might not be single payer. Would like to see a candidate clarify the right path on this topic, but I understand that is unlikely.

I don’t think as many centralists are as open to left leaning issues like healthcare and college as I am. I’ve concluded both are so broken we might as well do something rather than nothing. To win the rest of the center, tread carefully on healthcare and free college.

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Random thoughts from the center.

1. I will vote for any Democrat candidate over Trump, no matter who gets the nomination.
2. I can’t envision voting for a Republican other than Trump if they were to defeat Trump. Ballooning the debt and sticking with Trump put them on the no vote list, unless something highly unusual happens.
3. Haven’t researched the demo candidates enough yet, but I like 1) Harris, 2) Warren as top two. Booker, Delaney, Klobuchar, Ryan, Buttigieg, Mouton, Castro need to be researched more.
4. Biden and Bernie are too old. Don’t want to vote for someone that old. If they win the nomination, I’d vote for them however.
5. I like Bernie’s position on attacking drug prices. The free college goes too far for me, but some form of greater support for college is interesting. Not fully up to speed on the exact model he has for college.
6. The winning healthcare solution is unclear. Might or might not be single payer. Would like to see a candidate clarify the right path on this topic, but I understand that is unlikely.

I don’t think as many centralists are as open to left leaning issues like healthcare and college as I am. I’ve concluded both are so broken we might as well do something rather than nothing. To win the rest of the center, tread carefully on healthcare and free college.

Could you expand or clarify your opinion on Healthcare.  Some form of universal healthcare seems to poll well with many conservatives as well.  

34 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Ding ding motherfucking ding. Though I assume you mean Milwaukee and not Madison. Well documented that the black vote was down in 16. Four years of Trump with the prospect of four more will be a hell of a motivator. Really that applies to several predominantly urban voting blocs. Increase turnout in Phillly, Detroit, etc, and every single Trumpkin can show up to vote and it won't matter.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It’s all cheese curds and fat people and “golly dontcha know” to me, ok