Sandwich hall of fame

Brisketexan

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

@Brisketexan
1) You might as well add crawfish+boudin po-boy. If you can have 3 you can have 4.   No.  Because that's not a classic proper po-boy.  Because I say so.  And you know my abiding love for crawfish and boudin (although I think boudin kolaches suck -- see, two things I like that are worse together).
2) Likewise - you should separate Croque Madame and Monsieur Really thought about it.  Might do so if it's needed to fill out the bracket.
3) The Torta should be Torta Pambazo  Nope.  Delicious, but too far down the torta rabbit hole.
4) There is one peanut butter sandwich served restaurants and rarely made at home that belongs on the list. I have ordered it and it's glorious.  With or without bacon, it's The Elvis.  Dammit...the Elvis may need to make the list, that is a special sandwich (and rarely made at home).

Thoughts in bold.

Also, by your silence on the topic, I presume you're okay with being bitten by Marv Albert.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The breakfast sandwich should get a spot in the field, as should the McRib.

3 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Yeah, egg mcmuffin deserves a spot and if not included, I'm going full bore Jim Boeheim with the tears and whining on being left out of the tournament. 

HM: Diablo sandwich. 

If we go full breakfast sandwich, then we have the 1) english muffin sandwich (McMuffin), 2) the biscuit sandwich (in all its iterations), and 3) the BOB.  I'll think about it.

But to be clear, there WILL be much griping and whining about sandwiches that don't make the tourney cut.  The selection committee of one does not care.

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Also, by your silence on the topic, I presume you're okay with being bitten by Marv Albert.

Who are you talking to right now? Who is it you think you see? You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Brisket. I am the danger. A person is bitten by a man wearing ladies underwear and you think that of me? No. I am the One who Bites.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Here's a good resource to consult for final entries. 

Mnv5J8Y_d.webp

I support honorable mention of the Thanksgiving, and possible inclusion of Bagel with Lox.  The cucumber tea sandwich needs to get to steppin'.

On the BrisketTexan list, Chicken salad needs to get bumped up because it's better than egg salad.  And we haven't resolved the which came first conundrum.  Otherwise, it's a damned solid list despite the omission of Porkroll, Egg, and Cheese on a Kaiser bun (PA-Style)

Edited by dcbc

While I have enjoyed participating in the selection process, I will be abstaining from the actual voting out of protest for hamburgers and tacos being excluded.  I sort of get you excluding tacos, but the hamburger is a sandwich by every fucking criteria you could possibly come up with., would make the final four, and might win.  Knocking out a #1 seed on some sort of technicality cheapens your tournament, but it’s your tournament, so carry on.

• Like 1

A hamburger is without a doubt a sammich.

I see outrage on the horizon, because we're already well past 32 possible contenders, and even with some bullshit NCAA-like playin rounds, it's still not enough, but 64 is too far.

Is this America or what?

Have you ever heard of a wish sandwich?

A wish sandwich is the kind of a sandwich where you have two slices of bread and you
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Wish you had some meat

Bow bow bow...

Edited by Underdog
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I see outrage on the horizon, because we're already well past 32 possible contenders, and even with some bullshit NCAA-like playin rounds, it's still not enough, but 64 is too far.

Is this America or what?

Burgers have transcended the sandwich realm.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is this America or what?

Patty Melt is a type of burger and is already in the bracket. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Brisket right about now… 

89C59274-2324-4349-9F37-BD5E92E0E449.gif.f8eab1253bb97b172c7bab7081feb845.gif

He was close to the edge.  For a short period of time, this thread was his saving grace.  But it's become an albatross of nitpicking.  Something's got to give. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is this America or what?

There could easily be a 16 or 32 burger bracket. 

49 minutes ago, po elvis said:

Only because I think they are the only sandwiches that haven’t been mentioned, the old standard diner open faced roast beef or turkey with gravy and mashed potatoes. Always ordered these when we were on the road on vacation.

Too midwestern. Avatar checks out. They have both spices, salt AND pepper.

CHIEF

Is this America or what?

Ooooohhhhh….a play-in process….I like it. True chaos and maximum bitching.
  • Haha 1

A tuna salad on toasted white bread is one of the greatest sandwiches ever.
However, restaurants still have nothing on Mrs. CHIEF's tuna salad. Her's is very simple albacore tuna, boiled eggs, real mayo, onion, pickles, and about a third of a jar of the pickle brine. A large dash or three of lemon pepper and lime pepper seasoning.
CHIEF

Sorry but boiled eggs belong in deviled eggs and egg salad. Nothing else. The rest is solid. I like finely chopped apple in it as well

If we're going to include the ice cream sandwich it should be the Blue Bell cookies and cream one.

Sorry no one wants those little bits of listeria in their ice cream sandwich. Get a real one with a Fat Boy. Far superior product and less risk of dying.

If a hot dog is a sandwich so is a corn dog.

12 hours ago, Macanudo said:

If we're going to include the ice cream sandwich it should be the Blue Bell cookies and cream one.

The ice cream sandwich is where you taste just how bad Blue Bell is.  As it starts to melt, all you can taste is the processed.  It’s just gross.

12 hours ago, South Austin said:

Who here loves a good hot dog? You got meat between bread. Who doesn’t love that sammich?

I can't stand hot dogs with frankfurters.

I grew up having hot dogs made with what were called market wieners.  Farm Pac still sells them as beef pencil links. Accept no substitute.

porkbeefpencil.jpg

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Okay.....I am comfortable with this list of 28 (I'm making the list -- y'all get input, but like Puerto Rico, you get a say, but you don't get a vote -- so deal with it).  The list is at 28.  I've got three types of po-boys on it, because goddammit, I'm part NOLA-bred, and they're distinct sandwiches.  I could also be talked into more than one variety of torta (because messican, too).  I also have some "MAYBE" sandwiches that could be used to fill this out.  The goal is a list of 32, so we can build a real bracket.

Here's where we are:

bahn mi

muffuletta

meatball sub

Philly cheesesteak

Italian deli grinder/sub

croque madame/monsiure

Cuban

classic grilled cheese

BLT

Reuben

Club

Shrimp Po-boy

Oyster po-boy

Roast beef po-boy

Montecristo

Sweet-hot fried chicken (maybe just "fried chicken," and let that include all varieties)

CFS sandwich

Patty melt

French dip

Italian beef

Italian sausage sub

Chopped BBQ beef

Carolina pulled pork

Torta (milanesa?)

Gyro

Doner kebab

Lobster Roll

Hot brown

MAYBE:

Chopped liver

Egg salad

Tuna salad

Chicken salad

Chinese pork belly bun

Pimento cheese

Beef on weck

Share additional thoughts you have.  I'll finalize the list over the weekends, and do the seeding.  Then, to the tournament.  I bet we can get Marv Albert to do a promo spot - we're just going to have to offer up a female poster who he can bite.  I nominate Bozo Casanova.

Just my opinion, but I think you put all the Po-Boys in the same opening bracket. LetThemFight.Gif

I'd also include the maybes.

Is an Eggplant Parm sammich on there? 

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That will be in special 4 sandwich Vegatarian playoff with the winner facing top overall seed.  It will be grouped with the chickpea salad sandwich, the grilled buffalo cauliflower sandwich and the mushroom cheesesteak.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Just my opinion, but I think you put all the Po-Boys in the same opening bracket. LetThemFight.Gif

I'd also include the maybes.

Yeah, I'm thinking of a "play-in" that pits various po-boys against each other, and various tortas against each other.  Hell, maybe we do that with hamburgers too -- cheeseburger v. patty melt, to see which burger makes the tourney.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, I'm thinking of a "play-in" that pits various po-boys against each other, and various tortas against each other.  Hell, maybe we do that with hamburgers too -- cheeseburger v. patty melt, to see which burger makes the tourney.

Do that will the salad sandwiches too.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

That will be in special 4 sandwich Vegatarian playoff with the winner facing top overall seed.  It will be grouped with the chickpea salad sandwich, the grilled buffalo cauliflower sandwich and the mushroom cheesesteak.

The only vegetarian sandwiches that exist are egg salad and grilled cheese. They only exist because they are meat adjacent.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Sorry but boiled eggs belong in deviled eggs and egg salad. Nothing else. The rest is solid. I like finely chopped apple in it as well

Totally disagree, HBE, egg whites in my case, are a great addition to tuna salad just like pecans are for chicken salad.  

30 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The only vegetarian sandwiches that exist are egg salad and grilled cheese. They only exist because they are meat adjacent.

Concur.  I have nothing against many vegetarian sandwiches - I love falafel, a good hummus and carrot sandwich, and I used to love the Hippie Sandwich at Shady Grove.  But...we're talking a HOF here, not a Hall of utility players that get the job done well from time to time.

Just now, dcbc said:

So are things like Pastrami on Rye falling into an a la carte category?

My inclination is that "Pastrami on Rye" is too generic.  It's like a "Ham and cheese" sandwich.  We can all come up with any number of "1) lunch meat I have 2) between bread" sandwiches.  And while many of those are delicious and beloved, they are not HOF-worthy.  That's my current inclination.

I can be persuaded.

Or maybe even bribed.  Deliver to me a tasty Pastrami on Rye, and I may reconsider my present inclination. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Concur.  I have nothing against many vegetarian sandwiches - I love falafel, a good hummus and carrot sandwich, and I used to love the Hippie Sandwich at Shady Grove.  But...we're talking a HOF here, not a Hall of utility players that get the job done well from time to time.

We're talking Hall of Fame.  Not Hall of What Would Brisket Eat If He Was Just Hungry.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My inclination is that "Pastrami on Rye" is too generic.  It's like a "Ham and cheese" sandwich.  We can all come up with any number of "1) lunch meat I have 2) between bread" sandwiches.  And while many of those are delicious and beloved, they are not HOF-worthy.  That's my current inclination.

I can be persuaded.

Or maybe even bribed.  Deliver to me a tasty Pastrami on Rye, and I may reconsider my present inclination. 

I agree.  But the Katz's Deli (NY) post above gave me memory drool.  Otherwise, it seemed like a rabbit hole along the lines of Po-Boys and Tortas.  This currently is my favorite thread, and I've been dying for a good Rueben all week.   

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I agree.  But the Katz's Deli (NY) post above gave me memory drool.  Otherwise, it seemed like a rabbit hole along the lines of Po-Boys and Tortas.  This currently is my favorite thread, and I've been dying for a good Rueben all week.   

Three places in Austin that make a damned fine Rueben:

New World deli

Biderman's deli

Cover 3 (you read that right)

• Hook 'Em 1