Sandwich hall of fame

Brisketexan

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Three places in Austin that make a damned fine Rueben:

New World deli

Biderman's deli

Cover 3 (you read that right)

I had a pretty good Rueben at Otherside. It's in the old Delaware location behind Seton Hospital. 

• Hook 'Em 1

In Tyler, there are two---Lola's and Roost.  Honorable mention to Stanley's BBQ, when they have it on the menu.  The one at Roost is appropriately enormous, and the half-sandwich is the correct order.

I need to hit up Kenny & Ziggy's the next time I'm in Houston.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, ftf82 said:

Spec's at Brodie makes a damn good Reuben, In fact, Spec's deli is a little bit of an undiscovered gem.

Good call.  Been a while since we've gone to their deli, but it really is damned good.  Maybe we start a thread on "Austin's best sandwich shops.".......

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Good call.  Been a while since we've gone to their deli, but it really is damned good.  Maybe we start a thread on "Austin's best sandwich shops.".......

We could just start posting sandwich recs to the Austin burger thread.  I'm sure that'll go over well.  

44 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

New World deli

Biderman's deli

Mum Foods Smokehouse and Delicatessen on Manor Road smokes pastrami Wednesday through Sunday.  I usually just get pastrami, but the sandwiches looks great.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Mum Foods Smokehouse and Delicatessen on Manor Road smokes pastrami Wednesday through Sunday.  I usually just get pastrami, but the sandwiches looks great.

spacer.png

Good to know.

On other threads, folks have talked about Pieous, a pizza place....but I maintain that they have the best pastrami I've ever eaten.  When we go, we get pizza....and a half pound of pastrami just befuckingcause.

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I can't stand hot dogs with frankfurters.

I grew up having hot dogs made with what were called market wieners.  Farm Pac still sells them as beef pencil links. Accept no substitute.

porkbeefpencil.jpg

Not far from that place in Yoakum is Janak's:  https://janakscountrymarket.3dcartstores.com/Market-Weiners_p_111.html

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

New World deli

Biderman's deli

Are you coming down with dementia?  Because you have sat across the table from me at Scholtz's and agreed that it has the best Rueben in Austin.  And that conversation wasn't that long ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Are you coming down with dementia?  Because you have sat across the table from me at Scholtz's and agreed that it has the best Rueben in Austin.  And that conversation wasn't that long ago.

Shit.  Totally forgot about that one.  Was thinking of my old stand-bys.  Yeah...Scholtz's Reuben is damned hard to beat, by anyone.

On 5/30/2023 at 3:28 PM, conVINCEd said:

The first thing that pops into my head is Jimmy’s in Dallas.  The next thing is how many $2.99 6” from Subway I ate in college.

Second on Jimmy's Food Store in Dallas.  The Italian Beef Sandwich will make you think that you are inside the Loop in Chicago!

The Chicago (Italian) Beef Sandwich in DFW: A Journey | Dallas Observer

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Second on Jimmy's Food Store in Dallas.  The Italian Beef Sandwich will make you think that you are inside the Loop in Chicago!

The Chicago (Italian) Beef Sandwich in DFW: A Journey | Dallas Observer

They don’t make a bad sandwich, but the fact that I’ve only had that one maybe twice is a testament to the depth of their lineup.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Had the "is a taco a sandwich conversation with the 17yr old man child" after reading this thread.  He insists that it is not because it is one continuous piece of bread and therefore not a sandwich.  I like the way he thinks, but not sure I agree with him yet.  It would also knock out some really good "sandwiches" if I choose to agree.

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Good to know.

On other threads, folks have talked about Pieous, a pizza place....but I maintain that they have the best pastrami I've ever eaten.  When we go, we get pizza....and a half pound of pastrami just befuckingcause.

Homeslice has the best Italian sub in town.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

*Reuben

*Scholz

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I presume that you're talking to GOLL, as I spelled Reuben correctly, and I referred to Scholz with the possessive on purpose because it's THEIR Reuben.  So, shit on GOLL.  I encourage it.

You may want to check again. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Shit.  Totally forgot about that one.  Was thinking of my old stand-bys.  Yeah...Scholtz's Reuben is damned hard to beat, by anyone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I presume that you're talking to GOLL, as I spelled Reuben correctly, and I referred to Scholz with the possessive on purpose because it's THEIR Reuben.  So, shit on GOLL.  I encourage it.

I did not quote your post specifically - although you had previously misspelt Reuben and added a "t" to make Scholz possessive.

1 minute ago, Jerry Callo said:

I did not quote your post specifically - although you had previously misspelt Reuben and added a "t" to make Scholz possessive.

Ahhh, fuck me, adding the "t."  Which you obviously STOLE from me, and subbed into the word "misspelled."  Seems we are in something of a standoff.

I'll declare you the winner.....if you bring me one of Scholz's Reubens.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Jerry Callo said:

Misspelt is spelt correctly - I happen to type with a British accent.

We don't cotton to your limey shit 'round here.  Next thing you know, you're going to nominate a goddamned egg and cress or a chip butty for inclusion in the HOF, and we fought the goddamned Revolutionary War and rowed across the Delaware and killed a bunch of Hessian fuckers so we wouldn't have to put up with such bullshittery.

12 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Ate half, took the rest back to the room fridge.

Which enabled him, later that evening, to lay the strips across Mrs. Brat's reclining body so as to consume them at a more leisurely, and pleasant, pace.....[/end of Penthouse Forum piece]

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Which enabled him, later that evening, to lay the strips across Mrs. Brat's reclining body so as to consume them at a more leisurely, and pleasant, pace.....[/end of Penthouse Forum piece]

Penthouse was not yet a thing when Brat did that.

Are we getting breakfast sandwiches?

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

Penthouse was not yet a thing when Brat did that.

Are we getting breakfast sandwiches?

Haven't decided yet.  Got distracted by the idea of the brilliant chaos of a play-in round.  If they make the cut, they're getting a play-in bracket like po-boys and tortas are.

1 minute ago, DoobieWah said:

Fried fish sandwich?

Too generic.

Don't ask me why, because I'm thinking a fried chicken sandwich and a CFS sandwich make the list.

I'm gonna get fucking arbitrary here, and you're gonna learn to live with it.

Also, I may change my mind, because I love a good fried fish sandwich.

• Haha 1

Lots of good recs in here. Reuben is probably my favorite all time. Or the gyro if we're allowing it. For those making tuna salad a dash of celery salt can take it to a ten. My addition to the tourney is the glorious breaded pork tenderloin sandwich:

image.jpeg.8eb422a22262c3d2d4c9ad462e47004a.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Haven't decided yet.  Got distracted by the idea of the brilliant chaos of a play-in round.  If they make the cut, they're getting a play-in bracket like po-boys and tortas are.

I would have to check my receipts, but if hamburgers and tacos are deemed to not be sandwiches, I consume more breakfast sandwiches than anything else on the list. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

While I prefer a traditional breakfast sandwich, Bagel with Lox and cream cheese sure does show up on a lot of lists and is delicious.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

A fair suggestion.  Play-in brackets for:

po-boys

burgers

tortas

salad sandwiches

Then motherfucker I better see boudin-Crawfish Po Boy and Pambazo in the play-in. 

I feel like you are losing you resolve but if you are you are doing burgers you need to do the  big four styles only, e.g. Texas style, American cheeseburger, patty melt and classic French bistro burger.

salad sandwiches are home sandwiches, come on. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

Lots of good recs in here. Reuben is probably my favorite all time. Or the gyro if we're allowing it. For those making tuna salad a dash of celery salt can take it to a ten. My addition to the tourney is the glorious breaded pork tenderloin sandwich:

image.jpeg.8eb422a22262c3d2d4c9ad462e47004a.jpeg

How did I forget it? I worked for a company hq’d in Des Moines. The fried pork tenderloin sandwich is a marvel of Iowa. They not only know how to raise pigs that still taste like pork, they know how to cook them too. They are always the size of a hubcap.

They also make some tasty prime corn fed beef up there.

Did gyros make this list.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

tj_dawg_house_beef-small_hank_vaughn.jpg

No shit that’s a great sandwich. Since I quit working in Dallas I haven’t been back in ten years. It’s a great place, but I usually got the porcetta with broccoli rabe and peppers.51027b57acc9f1780608aa4640dfa115.jpg

Or the meatballe6f3fdbda7b636649d17fd11c2ab853c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Then motherfucker I better see boudin-Crawfish Po Boy and Pambazo in the play-in. 

I feel like you are losing you resolve but if you are you are doing burgers you need to do the  big four styles only, e.g. Texas style, American cheeseburger, patty melt and classic French bistro burger.

salad sandwiches are home sandwiches, come on. 

What about the deconstructed hamburger though?

• Drool 1