Texas chopped brisket sandwich
Louisville hot brown
Torta with carne asada
Speidies
Lemongrass pork bahn Mi
Meat loaf
Homegrown tomato sandwich

Worst I ever had
In Japan at Panasonic executive dining room: cold fried egg on white bread with ketchup. They were told it was the favorite sandwich of California.

GDit I should be ashamed of myself for not coming up with this.  Another personal favorite of mine is pimento cheese sandwich. 

49 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

My now deceased Mom was affectionately known as Grandma Sandwich to our kids and their friends, because that's all that she would offer to make them for lunch when she watched them. When I was growing up, more often than not she made this on white bread with Miracle Whip. And gave the rind to our dacshunds. I would still kill for one today, but my wife does the shopping generally and refuses to buy it.

large_f8bd7219-ea3e-4b05-a7a6-8d9a0f5b8045.webp

Loved it as a child and still do as an adult, pops would have me save the trimmings for him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, YChang said:

So... would a Chinese pork belly bun be considered a sandwich?

image.thumb.png.ccda6c49b6a0e615ca36fd761103f548.png

Hmmmm....maybe.  I know I love 'em.

4 minutes ago, Underdog said:

GDit I should be ashamed of myself for not coming up with this.  Another personal favorite of mine is pimento cheese sandwich. 

Pimento cheese is a strong mention.  But isn't it really more of an "at home" sandwich, as opposed to a "get it someplace" sandwich?  I'd lean towards grouping it more with PBJ and a ham sammich on white bread -- delicious, and something you get at home.

But then, the pimento cheese and cucumber sandwich at Hyde Park would argue against that (and it's a great sandwich).

o.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Hmmmm....maybe.  I know I love 'em.

Pimento cheese is a strong mention.  But isn't it really more of an "at home" sandwich, as opposed to a "get it someplace" sandwich?  I'd lean towards grouping it more with PBJ and a ham sammich on white bread -- delicious, and something you get at home.

But then, the pimento cheese and cucumber sandwich at Hyde Park would argue against that (and it's a great sandwich).

o.jpg

You get it at The Masters.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

True.

As to me....

obviously-youre-not-a-golfer-big-lebowsk

I’m not really a pimento cheese fan, but if you ever find yourself in Charleston, go to Callie’s Hot Little Biscuit and get the bacon/egg/pimento breakfast biscuit.  I could be converted if all pimento cheese tasted like that.

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I was thinking of yeast, and strictly speaking you don't need baking powder or soda to make flour tortillas, but fair point.

I get it.  I think some are unleavened.

Heck, I've never made a tortilla I didn't pull from the par-baked bag from HEB.  (And those kick ass.)

• Hook 'Em 1

if we're just nominating our favorite sandwiches, then I submit the Del Rancho Steak Sandwich Supreme.

SteakSandwichSupreme.jpg.30fe9ac1a3ee614fceb1fde75f47d14f.jpg

This here ranks with the greatest products of Oklahoma, along with Darrell K Royal, the onion burger (not a sandwich), and Carrie Underwood’s legs.
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

So this rules out everything on the menu at South Austin's mom's house.

Not true.  If you go to her house on Sunday, she'll have a 2-for-1 Delaware Subs cheesesteak waiting for you -- consume before or after the festivities, as a refueling snack.

8 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I like the idea of a playoff.   But anything liver related should be a really low seed and if it gets past the 1st round, the tournament is rigged.

Your liver-hatred is noted.

But your bias towards any sandwich involving a toaster is also noted.

• Haha 1

A tuna salad on toasted white bread is one of the greatest sandwiches ever.

However, restaurants still have nothing on Mrs. CHIEF's tuna salad. Her's is very simple albacore tuna, boiled eggs, real mayo, onion, pickles, and about a third of a jar of the pickle brine. A large dash or three of lemon pepper and lime pepper seasoning.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Drool 1

14 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

We need to trim this to 64, then do a legit bracket tournament where we vote on each winner all the way through to the end. 

Agreed.  Congrats Brisket!!!  You started a thread about sandwiches and now you are responsible for managing a sandwich tournament bracket with hundreds of participants.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

However, restaurants still have nothing on Mrs. CHIEF's tuna salad. Her's is very simple albacore tuna, boiled eggs, real mayo, onion, pickles, and about a third of a jar of the pickle brine. A large dash or three of lemon pepper and lime pepper seasoning.

CHIEF

I'll make up some tuna salad about once a month never tried it with onion may have to give that a shot.  Also a fan of tuna melts. 

16 hours ago, Underdog said:

I'll bring back a couple of tubs of Price's PC from HEB on our trips back to Texas, hard to find up here in the Northeast( they love this Palmetto cheese BS).  

Naw man - if you are at a big HEB you want the in-house stuff they make in the store, AKA as the  "Pam's" recipe from the first Central Market. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, someone has mentioned it now.  It's a meritorious nomination.  It's one of my wife's favorite sandwiches.

What, you don't love you a real authentic Subway meatball sandwich?

3596709358_decea9eb86_b.jpg

I mean, I GUESS a real-deal meatball sub might be better...

fbf1f925631f4784b2c8353c8b9df950.jpg?wid

I would destroy the subway meatball sub in college. Add mayo AND ranch. It was a sloppy mess of goodness. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I would destroy the subway meatball sub in college.

Oh hells yes.

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Add mayo AND ranch.

what-the.gif

But, I mean....who am I to judge people's college dining choices?  I mentioned my 7-11 chili dog sins from that era, so let he who is without sin cast the first meatball.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Naw man - if you are at a big HEB you want the in-house stuff they make in the store, AKA as the  "Pam's" recipe from the first Central Market. 

Don't recall ever seeing it but will check it out next visit. 

3 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Not a big egg guy. I do tuna, diced pickles and onion, mayo, a little brown mustard, salt, pepper, maybe a little paprika. 

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Not a big egg guy. I do tuna, diced pickles and onion, mayo, a little brown mustard, salt, pepper, maybe a little paprika. 

Try putting the little champagne grapes in your tuna salad when they are available. 

The Simpsons Kiss GIF by FOX International Channels

Okay.....I am comfortable with this list of 28 (I'm making the list -- y'all get input, but like Puerto Rico, you get a say, but you don't get a vote -- so deal with it).  The list is at 28.  I've got three types of po-boys on it, because goddammit, I'm part NOLA-bred, and they're distinct sandwiches.  I could also be talked into more than one variety of torta (because messican, too).  I also have some "MAYBE" sandwiches that could be used to fill this out.  The goal is a list of 32, so we can build a real bracket.

Here's where we are:

bahn mi

muffuletta

meatball sub

Philly cheesesteak

Italian deli grinder/sub

croque madame/monsiure

Cuban

classic grilled cheese

BLT

Reuben

Club

Shrimp Po-boy

Oyster po-boy

Roast beef po-boy

Montecristo

Sweet-hot fried chicken (maybe just "fried chicken," and let that include all varieties)

CFS sandwich

Patty melt

French dip

Italian beef

Italian sausage sub

Chopped BBQ beef

Carolina pulled pork

Torta (milanesa?)

Gyro

Doner kebab

Lobster Roll

Hot brown

MAYBE:

Chopped liver

Egg salad

Tuna salad

Chicken salad

Chinese pork belly bun

Pimento cheese

Beef on weck

Share additional thoughts you have.  I'll finalize the list over the weekends, and do the seeding.  Then, to the tournament.  I bet we can get Marv Albert to do a promo spot - we're just going to have to offer up a female poster who he can bite.  I nominate Bozo Casanova.

@Brisketexan
1) You might as well add crawfish+boudin po-boy. If you can have 3 you can have 4. 
2) Likewise - you should separate Croque Madame and Monsieur
3) The Torta should be Torta Pambazo
4) There is one peanut butter sandwich served restaurants and rarely made at home that belongs on the list. I have ordered it and it's glorious.  With or without bacon, it's The Elvis.