2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Fletch said:

Calling it now. O’Dowd is gonna go full Kody and carry us to Omaha. 

Look at O'Dowd's swing closely.  He's a long, smooth, but very slow-twitch type hitter.  He sweeps through the hitting zone with the bat.

Kody was a fast-twitch, trip hammer type hitter.  Exploded on the ball.

O'Dowd is not going full Kody.

Edited by Cajun

1 hour ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Not even a Chris Carmichael reference yet? Because if anyone is capable of a three run dong in the national title game, it’s Jack O’Dowd.

How about Dooley Prince?

24 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Look at O'Dowd's swing closely.  He's a long, smooth, but very slow-twitch type hitter.  He sweeps through the hitting zone with the bat.

Kody was a fast-twitch, trip hammer type hitter.  Exploded on the ball.

O'Dowd is not going full Kody.

Jesus, Cajun. Kody’s swing was way out of whack. He was only any good cause of his dads steroids. O’Dowd has raw power, a smooth swing and situational awareness up there with the likes of Derek Jeter. I don’t know what you’ve been watching, but O’Dowd is the truth. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fletch said:

How about Dooley Prince?

Jesus, Cajun. Kody’s swing was way out of whack. He was only any good cause of his dads steroids. O’Dowd has raw power, a smooth swing and situational awareness up there with the likes of Derek Jeter. I don’t know what you’ve been watching, but O’Dowd is the truth. 

Oh my.  

This is next level stuff.  Take a bow sir.

• Hook 'Em 1

Props to Schuessler.   Article contains photos that show the seriousness of the injury.

AUSTIN (KXAN) – As Texas Longhorns catcher Kimble Schuessler was moving toward what he envisioned being a breakout season with Texas, he started to experience major discomfort in his left hand. He eventually went to get it checked out, and the diagnosis was a rare one that required risky surgery.

“Doctors really … it was an experimental surgery,” said Schuessler. “There wasn’t really a name for it.”

In August 2022, the discomfort started for Schuessler on his left index finger. It turned to discoloring and numbness. The best way to describe it is “dead finger.”

He tried to push through the injury for months but decided for surgery in December. A 5-hour surgery kept him in intensive care for four days afterward.

The surgery, as Schuessler said, was an experimental one. Doctors took an artery from his left thigh and attached it inside his left hand to get blood flow to his “dead” finger. They removed scar tissue and broken arteries as well which all left him with quite the scar.

“Going in, I knew that it was going to be fixed but I didn’t really know if I was going to have 10 fingers when I woke up,” said Schuessler.

The surgery was a success, but Schuessler had quite the road to recovery in front of him. It started with catching ping pong balls to regain strength, and then it progressed into a major test.

“The moment that I really knew the surgery worked was [the] first weekend at [Texas] Tech,” said Schuessler. “Friday night I was catching Lebarron [Johnson Jr.] and it was snowing. I was like if I make it through this game, then I know the surgery worked.”

Not only did Schuessler make it through, but he’s become an everyday player. He’s having the breakout season he’s been working for throughout college.

“I’ve been healthy and not played and I’ve been hurt and not played,” said Schuessler. “I’ve seen both sides of the spectrum. Getting in there and really maximizing my opportunity has been great and I really appreciate it.”

Schuessler is hitting .338 with nine home runs for the Longhorns. He and Texas will get going in the Big 12 Conference tournament in Arlington on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. against Texas Tech.

Texas Longhorns catcher Kimble Schuessler breaking through after unique injury (kxan.com)

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Cody Howard is going to step up and pull a Hollingsworth.

If Howard throws one single pitch for us the rest of this season then that means we are already fucked. I'm talking elimination game to Hofstra and we're already down by 17 runs. 

32 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

If Howard throws one single pitch for us the rest of this season then that means we are already fucked. I'm talking elimination game to Hofstra and we're already down by 17 runs. 

Or up 17 runs. 

Maybe.

4 hours ago, zlavydra said:

If Texas ends up in Charlottesville, I'm going to have to drive down for that one.  That would be fun.

On 5/21/2024 at 12:06 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I'd take that.

yep.  is funny though, it is like they try to will us v some rival into existence even being the number 2.  can't do aggy so next best is dirt burglar.

Didn’t see it mentioned and almost forgot about it but on senior day Charlie Hurley was holding LBJ’s picture that the team gave all the seniors so I assume that means he has made his decision to enter the draft.

41 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Didn’t see it mentioned and almost forgot about it but on senior day Charlie Hurley was holding LBJ’s picture that the team gave all the seniors so I assume that means he has made his decision to enter the draft.

I just means that, by then, there wasn't much time before the game started and LBJ had to go over and get warmed up as the starting pitcher.  So Hurley held his pic for him.

17 hours ago, chase25 said:

LBJ is an academic senior I thought?

2 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

D1 projection has us as the 2 at (4) A&M

BA has us as the 2 at (10) UVA still 

What's possibly helping us is the number of 3 seeds the Big 12 is cranking out.  Kansas State, TCU, UCF, maybe Cincy have to go places.  Arkansas and A&M both have KSU and TCU so that crowds us out as a #2.    

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

What's possibly helping us is the number of 3 seeds the Big 12 is cranking out.  Kansas State, TCU, UCF, maybe Cincy have to go places.  Arkansas and A&M both have KSU and TCU so that crowds us out as a #2.    

I really want Stanford to win the PAC12 autobid.  Squeeze the at larges I say.  The conference tourneys are dumb and should be absorbed into the postseason properly. 

51 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

pass.

Agreed

48 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Or, we get a real pitching coach in here who can teach him how to pitch.

He knows how to pitch. He can’t throw his off speed for a strike and teams know it. That’s not a pitching coach problem.

5 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

D1 projection has us as the 2 at (4) A&M

BA has us as the 2 at (10) UVA still 

Can’t believe D1 baseball is projecting Florida in the field and they don’t even have them as one of the last four in

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Can’t believe D1 baseball is projecting Florida in the field and they don’t even have them as one of the last four in

We aren’t far away from 11-19 and 12-18 SEC teams sneaking into the field. May be as soon as next year.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We aren’t far away from 11-19 and 12-18 SEC teams sneaking into the field. May be as soon as next year.

It’s going to happen for sure but you still have to piece together enough of a quality non conference record to justify it. If Florida was 6-2 against Q2 teams instead of 2-6 I’d have no problem with them being in the field

Just now, chase25 said:

It’s going to happen for sure but you still have to piece together enough of a quality non conference record to justify it. If Florida was 6-2 against Q2 teams instead of 2-6 I’d have no problem with them being in the field

I don’t think they should be in either. They have non con losses to UCF, St. John’s, Stetson, Jacksonville and FSU twice. It isn’t like they have just struggled in conference play.

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I don’t think they should be in either. They have non con losses to UCF, St. John’s, Stetson, Jacksonville and FSU twice. It isn’t like they have just struggled in conference play.

Yeah Florida is in a tougher situation because of the mid major competition in Florida and the fact that they play that 3 game mid week set against Florida State. I was just surprised D1 didn’t even have them last four in.

I would be pretty surprised if Florida made it with the 0-1 SEC tournament showing

Posted (edited)

If we win a Regional well that changes things and puts the season in a whole new light. But color me skeptical this group is going to go into some top national seed's park and beat them.

Though nobody plays their home games at Globe Life so we have that going for us.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

If we win a Regional well that changes things and puts the season in a whole new light. But color me skeptical this group is going to go into some top national seed's park and beat them.

Though nobody plays their home games at Globe Life so we have that going for us.

I’m not sure why the idea of a high ranked team should be frightening to us. We’ve been one of the best teams in the nation against tournament caliber teams. It’s the other end of the spectrum that’s been tough.

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

I’m not sure why the idea of a high ranked team should be frightening to us. We’ve been one of the best teams in the nation against tournament caliber teams. It’s the other end of the spectrum that’s been tough.

Well then maybe we should be terrified of the #3 seed we get matched up with first.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1