2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Powell can play short? Not sure I want to see that

Hopefully this is not a duplicate-my internet glitched when I tried to post the first time.

Powell would not be my first choice either if they shuffle players around.  O'Dowd was an allstate caliber shortstop in high school.  This if from his bio-  "Attended Lipscomb Academy (Nashville, Tenn.)…nation’s 21st-ranked shortstop by Perfect Game…Tennessee’s top-ranked shortstop and fourth-rated overall prospect…"

Powell is a good utility player and could probably play SS in a pinch, as could O'Dowd.

More from Howe:

We just got done meeting with David Pierce and a few players before this weekend’s season-opening series against San Diego.

Here are few things to note:

— Lebarron Johnson Jr. is getting the ball and Charlie Hurley will start on Saturday. Pierce said when Johnson takes the mound, everybody in the program believes they’re going to win. He thinks LBJ is going to have a special season.

— Tanner Witt is available to pitch this weekend, but the Sunday starter is officially TBA. Pierce said Witt is close to top form, but he’s still working through a few things.

— Heading into the season, Pierce indicated the team’s top three bullpen guys are David Shaw, Gage Boehm and Grant Fontenot.

— Pierce all but confirmed that Jared Thomas will lead off and start at first base. Thomas said he’ll play wherever Pierce wants him, but he’s expected to get some time in center field. Casey Borba, Nik Sanders and Cam Constantine have worked at first base whenever Thomas has gone to center field.

— Expectations are high for Jalin Flores at shortstop. Pierce has said Flores and Max Belyeu (who Pierce said has earned the right to start in right field) are two of the most improved players in the program since the end of the 2023 season.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I don't like that Constantine is still in the mix. We haven't ever seen anything resembling good out of him. But I trust Pierce. 

I wouldn’t worry about it. He’s a culture guy and he knows his role. If Thomas couldn’t play first for whatever reason I’m fairly confident Sanders would be next in line.

It’s pretty well known that Thomas’ future position at the next level is going to be in the outfield, and I think Pierce recognizes that and knows he needs to get him reps out there so scouts can see him.

My guess is we see him get 1 or 2 games a week in the OF the first month or so before they decide the direction they want to go. Probably largely depends on if either Farmer or Sanders can hold their own in the box.

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

I don't like that Constantine is still in the mix. We haven't ever seen anything resembling good out of him. But I trust Pierce. 

Well we made it to Omaha with Jake McKenzie. He can’t be anymore worthless at the plate than him 

4 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

What’s the remedy if one panel shatters? Similar to a backboard shattering in a BB game.

Hook’em!!!

I'll be impressed if they have the NHL-level quick craftsmen ready and on-hand to replace broken plexiglass, which happens in NHL games all the time.

Otherwise you suspend the game, OR the umps say, "Play-on!" and tell both benches, "Don't run through the wall there!" Lulz.

12 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

It's not plexiglass. It's fence. Back wall has a ton of dents in it from home runs so heads up.

If that's fence, I wonder how quickly it goes away when Texas outfielders jack-up their wrists/shoulders/etc. careening into that fence.

23 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Is that “plexiglass” going to hold up when some 6’3 - 215lb LF runs straight into it? I question the “testing” and “strength” of a glass wall, even though I like the concept.

Yeah, who could possibly predict the strength of a common piece of material given a specific load event?

#isaidload

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2024 at 3:30 PM, msucolt45 said:

Is that “plexiglass” going to hold up when some 6’3 - 215lb LF runs straight into it? I question the “testing” and “strength” of a glass wall, even though I like the concept.

Hook’em!!!

Are you getting "paid" by the "quotation" mark?

I watched Friday on tv.  I was there yesterday and it was not what I had hoped for.  Several players haven't begun to hit yet.  Hurley was not great yesterday, but was serviceable.  Four walks in 3.2 innings is not good.  Most of the relievers looked okay, with a few shaky moments.  It was good to see Luke Harrision back.  Play was okay except for a couple of instances.  The steal of home by SD was a cluster f.  SD had several stolen bases (6 of 7).  I may be wrong, think that the catchers have thrown one runner in a stolen base attempt.   Last year I think Galvan threw out one in over 20 attempts.  Schuessler threw out 0 in 9 attempts the year before he was hurt.  That really needs to pick up.  Jared and Payton have looked really good.  Jack and Porter are off to a slow start.  Max looks like he is more comfortable at the plate this year, but doesn't have a hit yet.  The 2 homeruns have produced the majority of the runs so far.