2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

24 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Our bullpen is shit right now but that can change very quickly.

Can it?  Last year we had Morehouse and Shaw who could come in throwing nasty stuff.   I don't see anything like that this year.   Tumis is the closest analog to Morehouse but he's just a pup.   Shaw doesn't have good stuff anymore.  Who are the two guys who have what it takes to hold a late lead against a good team in a tight game?

17 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Can it?  Last year we had Morehouse and Shaw who could come in throwing nasty stuff.   I don't see anything like that this year.   Tumis is the closest analog to Morehouse but he's just a pup.   Shaw doesn't have good stuff anymore.  Who are the two guys who have what it takes to hold a late lead against a good team in a tight game?

Shaw threw 32 innings last year. You think his arm is trashed? He doesn't have his stuff anymore?  This is mental. It can be fixed.

17 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Shaw threw 32 innings last year. You think his arm is trashed? He doesn't have his stuff anymore?  This is mental. It can be fixed.

He had TJ surgery. It’s not all mental. He’s not back to where he was prior to the injury. 

One thing seems certain the handling of players off surgery is a disaster for Pierce.  Seems like Whitt is coming around but even he isn’t what he once was (which is expected) 

13 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

He had TJ surgery

2 hours ago, D3zii said:

One thing seems certain the handling of players off surgery is a disaster for Pierce.    

So TJ surgery has definitely become much more prominent now for ball players and they are having it younger and younger (year round/select  ball consequences???) but we seem to have had more than our share of players (seems like at least one pr year) over the past 3, 4, or more years ?

Are we snake bit? Or is this the norm? For those that follow other schools more than me, are others having the same problem or is there maybe something going on here that is exacerbating the injuries and the need for surgery? 

The whole thing with O'Dowd that baffles me as well as you have both a fielding (O'Dowd listed at 6'2" which just from looking at him seems to be a little roster optimization) liability as he cannot make all the plays @ 1B and a batting liability. Shit why not put Gasparino there if we are just making up roster moves. 

On Tuesday Gasaparino was DH and batting last. Just crazy roster management across the board.

This whole team so far this year has seemed to be one big experiment that isn't working. i get it is pre-conference and a long season but I just don't see Pierce's vision for what the best 8 (not counting pitcher) lineup in the field will be.

2 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

The whole thing with O'Dowd that baffles me as well as you have both a fielding (O'Dowd listed at 6'2" which just from looking at him seems to be a little roster optimization) liability as he cannot make all the plays @ 1B and a batting liability. Shit why not put Gasparino there if we are just making up roster moves. 

On Tuesday Gasaparino was DH and batting last. Just crazy roster management across the board.

This whole team so far this year has seemed to be one big experiment that isn't working. i get it is pre-conference and a long season but I just don't see Pierce's vision for what the best 8 (not counting pitcher) lineup in the field will be.

If we get hammered by Tech, I'm for going full rebuild mode, letting the younger guys play every day, sort of like TCU did last year.  They were way better at the end of the season and are proceeding with a strong year so far in 2024. But maybe that's because of the relative quality of their players compared to ours.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

So TJ surgery has definitely become much more prominent now for ball players and they are having it younger and younger (year round/select  ball consequences???) but we seem to have had more than our share of players (seems like at least one pr year) over the past 3, 4, or more years ?

Are we snake bit? Or is this the norm? For those that follow other schools more than me, are others having the same problem or is there maybe something going on here that is exacerbating the injuries and the need for surgery? 

It certainly feels like we are snakebit, but I honestly don't think our rate of injuries is any higher than most other schools. Probably just feels that way because it always seems to be an important guy for us and not some guy who is the 6th option in the bullpen.

A big issue teams experience nationwide is the lead up to the season for pitchers. Organized team practices start in late January and then pitchers are expected to be ready to go for opening day in mid-February. You see so many arm injuries during that time as guys are trying to ramp up and build up pitch count. Hell, MLB spring training is like a month and a half long nowadays because pitchers take so long to get going and we are asking college arms to do it in almost half the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

Friday temp reported to be 46 degrees with 20MPH N Wind at game time, 40 degrees at 9PM.   Hopefully will canx and play 2 Sat or Sun.

Screenshot2024-03-07165722lnk.png.ac3df4e8c1a5b3cfdc0191211f264955.png canx and play 2 Sat or Sun.

Hurley does not deserve to be a weekend starter on the greatest university’s baseball team.  He will get shelled at Tech.  I don’t want to see him pitch at all in Lubbock.  

David Pierce is digging his own grave. It’s a good thing we aren’t in the SEC this season as we would be cellar dwellers.  Fuck Pierce for embarrassing UT fans at Globe Life Field and Minute Maid Park over the years.  

• Fuck You 2

10 minutes ago, Mile High Horn said:

Hurley does not deserve to be a weekend starter on the greatest university’s baseball team.  He will get shelled at Tech.  I don’t want to see him pitch at all in Lubbock.  

David Pierce is digging his own grave. It’s a good thing we aren’t in the SEC this season as we would be cellar dwellers.  Fuck Pierce for embarrassing UT fans at Globe Life Field and Minute Maid Park over the years.  

You probably already know this, but Hurley pitched 4 innings of 1 hit baseball against Tech last year.  Had 4 Ks, no runs and got the win.

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

You probably already know this, but Hurley pitched 4 innings of 1 hit baseball against Tech last year.  Had 4 Ks, no runs and got the win.

True, and he's certainly come up big in other games (Miami, for example), but I never have a good feeling when he starts. That's my cross to bear, I suppose, but he rarely seems confident with his stuff.

I'd be pretty psyched having him as a Tuesday starter or long reliever, which is where I think he'll end up if Boehm or another guy shows progress.

13 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

True, and he's certainly come up big in other games (Miami, for example), but I never have a good feeling when he starts. That's my cross to bear, I suppose, but he rarely seems confident with his stuff.

I'd be pretty psyched having him as a Tuesday starter or long reliever, which is where I think he'll end up if Boehm or another guy shows progress.

He allows a bunch of baserunners (WHIP 1.4 at UT) and a fair amount of runs (ERA 4.5 at UT) because his control ain't great, so he's usually pitching under stress.  But... he's never lost a game here (6-0) for what that's worth.  He just is what he is.  Decent stuff and can look dominating at times but never seems to string together multiple good innings because of falling behind in the count.  So where should he be?  On this team, I think he has to be a weekend starter.

2 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Hes a contact pitcher. When he works the bottom of the zone he gets outs on the ground. But once he elevates things get dicey.

He's a decent Sunday or midweek guy when he's on, which is what he was scheduled to be until we found out Witt had made zero progress the last 8 months. He is throwing 2-3 MPH harder than last year and in a weird way, I think that is hurting him because his command is suffering and the sinker is straightening out more often. 

As has been discussed already, we just don't have enough dudes that make at-bats uncomfortable. It doesn't even have to be throwing hard. It could be a funky delivery or release point or whatever. We just lack it. At least last year we often went from Gordon to Morehosue out of the pen to LBJ the following day and the looks were different and more uncomfortable. Even Travis Sthele had a fastball with good spin that he hid well. Now we go from Cody Howard throwing 91-92 to Max Grubbs throwing 89-90 to David Shaw throwing 88. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Go ahead. Keep talking shit about Hurley. Do your part, buddy

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

Kendell Rogers is a fucking hack for retweeting unverified shit.

Not taking up for aggy Kendall, but the original tweet is just as bad .....f'ng OB writer most likely hanging with douchebag Chad.

Edited by BillyGoatHill

24 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Not taking up for aggy Kendall, but the original tweet is just as bad .....f'ng OB writer most likely hanging with douchebag Chad.

That’s my point. OB writer tweets it, kendell does no verification and reports it.

Kendell tweeted after the university had released a statement. 

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

That’s my point. OB writer tweets it, kendell does no verification and reports it.

Kendell tweeted after the university had released a statement. 

What a turd. 

He tries to pony up to us sometimes, but he ALSO doesn't miss a chance to let his homer aggy come out and take jabs more often than not at our program. 

I called him out (twitter/X ) once last year or yr before and he IMMEDIATELY responded back being defensive on his post. I had obviously touched a nerve replying and calling him out.  Now I just take what he says about us with a grain of salt cuz he wants to be a 2%er, but he's really not. 

I will give him credit for not blocking me though, unlike the pillow biter Tim Brando 😂

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/6/2024 at 9:55 PM, UnhappilyMarried said:

1-2 where our bats keep pace and keep things fairly close in the losses is a win this weekend. And if we can leave without our best reliever suffering career-ending embarrassment

Still a possibility.

SIAP but Blake from On Texas Football reported yesterday that Miller is not coming back.

Spoiler

Yesterday the No. 24 ranked Longhorns made the trip to Lubbock, which saw them demolish No. 17 Texas Tech last night 22-8 in the first game of the series. 

One person who didn’t make that trip, however, was assistant/1st base coach Philip Miller.

While there are reports out there that he is taking a leave of absence, On Texas Football does not expect Miller to return. 

Expect an internal promotion to fulfill this role. 

On who could possibly fill the position. 

Spoiler

A couple of other things…

I was told this (the loss of Miller) won’t affect on the field play at all. 

Before anyone claims Pierce doesn’t want to promote Tulo or anything, that’s not the case. Sounds like Texas would love to have him in that role… But I don’t expect it to be him at all. 

I do like the name I heard, however. I think he could really help in certain areas of the team. 

On 2/26/2024 at 9:50 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I was swamped with family shit yesterday, and had no gumption to watch the replay that late.

What are the thoughts on Howard as a Sunday starter?  Obviously 5 innings of scoreless baseball is great, but is he what we need to feel uber confident about F/S/S starters?  I'll hang up and pass out.  I mean listen.

He couldn't finish 5 innings with a gigantic lead against Vandy, and he wasn't even competitive in Lubbock. So perhaps we have our answer re: Howard as a starter. He's at best someone who can go five and allow 3 ER against an average team. 

Well, at least the team can potentially build on this. Washington and Baylor appear to be even worse than us. Texas needs to go 8-2 over this 10 game home stand. Come out on the other side of this 19-8 (4-2) with some confidence… 

narrator: Texas loses to Incarnate Word

23 minutes ago, B00M said:

Well, at least the team can potentially build on this. Washington and Baylor appear to be even worse than us. Texas needs to go 8-2 over this 10 game home stand. Come out on the other side of this 19-8 (4-2) with some confidence… 

narrator: Texas loses to Incarnate Word

Sweep Baylor or we riot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

To be fair to them, most of those wins are lopsided. I wouldn't take them too lightly. 

Winning is winning, but when 7 of your 17 games have been against Alcorn State, Texas Southern and Prarie View A&M.....