Big 12 basketball 2023-2024 season - One Final Rodeo

Pancho

Kinda wild game in Lubbock going on, Tech was up by 15ish, Baylor clawed back, Tech now back up by 10. Great effort by both teams so far and great atmosphere for a game that is ultimately meaningless to both teams at this point other than wanting to win. Our two best players are playing with 4 fouls.

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

UH is fucking working Kansas.

I think this is a FF UH team and potentially a title winner. They are damn, damn good.

i thought the late season injuries would kill them, but they keep finding a way to win  However I wouldn't be surprised if someone knocks them out in round 32 or 16 of the tourney. They don't play as well on the road.

Just now, mycox said:

i thought the late season injuries would kill them, but they keep finding a way to win  However I wouldn't be surprised if someone knocks them out in round 32 or 16 of the tourney. They don't play as well on the road.

Their shooting is suspect, and any team that can get them in foul trouble and keep up with them on the boards as a chance to knock them out.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Their shooting is suspect, and any team that can get them in foul trouble and keep up with them on the boards as a chance to knock them out.

Yeah will depend on their path

KU player was giving Shead a reach around on that foul.
Take heart, this was always going to be the outcome of the UH-KU game.

That definitely changed my mood. Should serve as wake up to quit trying to play hero ball in half court sets.
I didn't think K-State had a chance in hell of getting an NCAA bid outside of winning the conference tournament. But today's win ... maybe changes things? What are your thoughts?

Maybe if they get to the semis next week

With their win against ISU, KSU will likely be in the Top 75 of the Net, they were 76 coming into the day. That's significant because the Q2 cutoff for neutral court is 75, but the TCU loss cost us a Q1 game against OU in the 2nd round.

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Dickinson might have to sit out of the conference tournament, likely dislocated his shoulder late against UH. KU might be one and done in both the Big 12 and NCAAT.

That sucks.
I don't care if he's a dick(?). I don't wish that on anyone who made such huge moves and worked that hard to get to the big dance with Kansas.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39695694/kansas-hunter-dickinson-injures-shoulder-loss-houston

4 hours ago, KingBobo81 said:

TCU goes down…I believe that bumps us up to 7th for the conference tourney.

Yep... absolutely huge to get out of the 8-9 matchup with the winner playing Houston. Should we beat Kansas State in our opener on Wednesday, we'll face Iowa State in the next round. 

Big 12 men's basketball tournament schedule

Tuesday, March 12: First round

Game 1: No. 12 UCF vs. No. 13 Oklahoma State, 11:30 a.m. (Big 12 Now on ESPN+)

Game 2: No. 11 Cincinnati vs. No. 14 West Virginia, 2 p.m. (Big 12 Now on ESPN+)

Wednesday, March 13: Second round

Game 3: No. 5 BYU vs. Game 1 winner, 11:30 a.m. (ESPN/2)

Game 4: No. 8 TCU vs. No. 9 Oklahoma, 2 p.m. (Big 12 Now on ESPN+)

Game 5: No. 7 Texas vs. No. 10 Kansas State, 6 p.m. (Big 12 Now on ESPN+)

Game 6: No. 6 Kansas vs. Game 2 winner, 8:30 p.m. (ESPN2/U)

Thursday, March 14: Quarterfinals

Game 7: No. 4 Texas Tech vs. Game 3 winner, 11:30 a.m. (ESPN/2)

Game 8: No. 1 Houston vs. Game 4 winner, 2 p.m. (ESPN/2)

Game 9: No. 2 Iowa State vs. Game 5 winner, 6 p.m. (ESPN/2)

Game 10: No. 3 Baylor vs. Game 6 winner, 8:30 p.m. (ESPN/2)

Friday, March 15: Semifinals

Game 11: Game 7 winner vs. Game 8 winner, 6 p.m. (ESPN/2)

Game 12: Game 9 winner vs. Game 10 winner, 8:30 p.m. (ESPN/2)

Saturday, March 16: Championship

Game 13: Game 11 winner vs. Game 12 winner, 5 p.m. (ESPN)

12 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

Saw Disu's knee briefly buckle tonight, so we could probably say the same for ourselves.

Coach left him in longer than necessary.

He rolled his ankle on his last layup. Foot landed on the OU player's foot.

5 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I think the loser of OU/TCU is getting left out.

Yeah, I think this is a real possibility. 

OU's resume is pretty shaky. They only have 2 wins over at-large teams currently projected in Lunardi's bracket. Their resume is kind of thin even though they have 4 Q1 wins. 

OU can definitely do better than Porter Moser.  They should be gearing up to do some damage in the SEC.  Over the last 40 years, OU isn't that far off from blueblood territory and actually has a better average Massey rating than Indiana, Michigan, Florida, UConn, Virginia and Louisville.  Here is where they rank over various periods:

• Last 5 years - 29
  • Last 10 years - 16
  • Since 2000 - 19
  • Since 1980 - 14

It is a shame that Beard didn't just sit out the 2023 season, because he would have made a tremendous hire for them.  They may go after him anyway.

59 minutes ago, HookEm said:

OU can definitely do better than Porter Moser.

Oh, you're risking the wrath of @ChiTownDoc now!

In all seriousness, if the above tweet is true, I'd be very interested to know ChiTown's thoughts because he's staunchly defended Moser through thick and thin. Self in his shoes, I would feel betrayed.

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

OU can definitely do better than Porter Moser.  They should be gearing up to do some damage in the SEC.  Over the last 40 years, OU isn't that far off from blueblood territory and actually has a better average Massey rating than Indiana, Michigan, Florida, UConn, Virginia and Louisville.  Here is where they rank over various periods:

• Last 5 years - 29
  • Last 10 years - 16
  • Since 2000 - 19
  • Since 1980 - 14

It is a shame that Beard didn't just sit out the 2023 season, because he would have made a tremendous hire for them.  They may go after him anyway.

At the AD and above level, President etc there's a level of respect between the programs.  Unlike you guys and aggy.  OU wasn't hiring Beard under any circumstances.  

16 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Oh, you're risking the wrath of @ChiTownDoc now!

In all seriousness, if the above tweet is true, I'd be very interested to know ChiTown's thoughts because he's staunchly defended Moser through thick and thin. Self in his shoes, I would feel betrayed.

I think he's a good coach but doesn't fit in well at OU or other big schools.  He's not a monster recruiter but does well in the right place.  I wish him the best but definitely don't cry over him leaving.  I'll buy him a beer sometime here in Chicago.  OU is a very underrated hoops program but their gym is a dumpster and fan support has waned even further after the Thunder came to town.  They can get a good recruiter and at worst be average in the SEC, but they should be better than that.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Guy lost me at the end.  Playing in SEC is going to be a bear?  As if the b12 is some rando conference we're leaving?  lol

Edit: sorry for the derp and not multiquoting, ban user.

Edited by ChiTownDoc

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Guy lost me at the end.  Playing in SEC is going to be a bear?  As if the b12 is some rando conference we're leaving?  lol

Edit: sorry for the derp and not multiquoting, ban user.

no shit.  the sec isn't going to be any more difficult than the big 12 has been the past several years.

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I think he's a good coach but doesn't fit in well at OU or other big schools.  He's not a monster recruiter but does well in the right place.  I wish him the best but definitely don't cry over him leaving.  I'll buy him a beer sometime here in Chicago.  OU is a very underrated hoops program but their gym is a dumpster and fan support has waned even further after the Thunder came to town.  They can get a good recruiter and at worst be average in the SEC, but they should be better than that.  

He's a guy that does better when he can develop kids over a 3-4 year period. That likely isn't happening with the portal at OU. Maybe DePaul can afford him more of that coaching experience. Kinda like Shaka returning to his roots at Marquette.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I think ou is getting a new arena as well. If Moser isn’t in trouble with the AD, why would he leave? The ou fans that cared about basketball are dead.

I think you just answered part of your own question.

On top of that, Moser is a Midwest guy.  My guess is when he came to Norman he thought they were staying in the Big 12 and he'd be able to play and recruit in that footprint quite a bit and build OU basketball back into a thing that mattered on an annual basis.  The move to the SEC cuts OU off from playing more Midwestern schools and puts Moser in a situation where his recruiting connections don't have any overlap with where he's actually playing the games.

Now going back for DePaul?  Yeesh.  That job is shit.  Yeah, they're in the Big East, but they don't have an on campus arena, and Chicago is not a college sports town.  @ChiTownDoc can probably add more accuracy here, but I'd imagine that in the Chicago college basketball pecking order, DePaul is somewhere behind Illinois, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Loyola, and maybe even Iowa, Wisconsin, Purdue, and Indiana.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think you just answered part of your own question.

On top of that, Moser is a Midwest guy.  My guess is when he came to Norman he thought they were staying in the Big 12 and he'd be able to play and recruit in that footprint quite a bit and build OU basketball back into a thing that mattered on an annual basis.  The move to the SEC cuts OU off from playing more Midwestern schools and puts Moser in a situation where his recruiting connections don't have any overlap with where he's actually playing the games.

Now going back for DePaul?  Yeesh.  That job is shit.  Yeah, they're in the Big East, but they don't have an on campus arena, and Chicago is not a college sports town.  @ChiTownDoc can probably add more accuracy here, but I'd imagine that in the Chicago college basketball pecking order, DePaul is somewhere behind Illinois, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Loyola, and maybe even Iowa, Wisconsin, Purdue, and Indiana.

Yeah it’s behind all those right now.  I think they have a new arena etc and you’d think with all the Chicago talent it’s a sleeping giant but no - it’s a MASSIVE project to take on.  

8 hours ago, Pancho said:

I think ou is getting a new arena as well. If Moser isn’t in trouble with the AD, why would he leave? The ou fans that cared about basketball are dead.

OU’s been getting a new arena since long before the earth’s crust cooled.

On 3/10/2024 at 1:41 PM, Hookem2147 said:

TCU started off the conference by absolutely getting jobbed at the Phog. The refs found a way to call an egregious to fragrant foul on a fun of the mill defensive rebound right as TCU was about to lock up a really good road win.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The Boynton era has to be over you would think.

I was reading something the other day where OSU has the worst NIL in the conference and they know it. There is a chance they might focus on that this offseason instead of changing coaches.