Texas judge orders SWA lawyers to take religious liberty training from far-right hate group

Pancho

2 hours ago, sidis said:

my take is that it is in ddd and twice's nature to always give the benefit of the doubt and try to gravitate back to civility which i generally appreciate about them.  on top of that, they are both clearly influenced by some admiration of some personal journey/redemption/incident/something that lidig8r was involved in or helped with or something that i am not privy to but suppose must have some profound impact on their perception and i totally understand that.  knowing someone in real life leads to giving a much wider berth on here which is not a bad thing.

troph is clearly even moreso impacted by it at a personal level (or there's a misogynistic joke in there about women's heightened emotional hysteria) since she came in hot from the top rope with a bit of a jump to the end without considering the actual details.  she called me "dead ass wrong" about calling him out for his hot take bullshit and then, upon review, said that it was dumb hot take bullshit and that we all screw up so...okay.

either way, regardless of lidig8r's presumably endearing history, while i can understand their defenses based on personal connection, i think that anyone that comes in with a hollow self-aggrandizing, superiority preamble and post-script about the lack of decorum and value in the forum laced with a bunch of preemptive mudslinging, then proceeds to boast about how uninformed they are on the issue that's central to the controversy in a shallow attempt to run cover for a fucking moron of a "judge" issuing clear culture war rulings that are unbelievably fucking stupid - then disappearing with zero contrition - is telling me how i should value their contributions to this forum. 

You are correct. I think he's fundamentally good people. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I’m really sorry you’ve lost the ability to tell racist and homophobic jokes in the workplace.

Is that what they talk about? I never pay attention.

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

You should stop sexually harassing your coworkers.

There weren’t any women, but a guy has to stay warm on a rig. 

• Fuck You 3

26 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think what you're missing is that in 2023 America, Christian=Asshole

I know that's the 2023 surly hot take, but it's just not true.  Plenty of Christians don't support the far right (or even the right).  Many are progessive to liberal, are pro-choice, are anti-bigotry, and are financially committed to helping their downtrodden fellow man.

But sure, be a bigot.  It looks good on you.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, troph said:

I said you were wrong - as are many others - for thinking he might actually be a christofacist - and most of the vitrol was more along these lines than his generally just shitty take. it's one thing to to be an internet poster who swooped in and made a shitty and wrong take on a situation that you typically know something about and its entirely different to be a right winged maniac defending the judge and ADF. He was the former, not the latter.

that's all dandy...the problem is, i never said anything of the sort and you said i was "dead ass wrong" quoting this below post:

17 hours ago, sidis said:

Cool. I know nothing about him beyond the fact that he apparently enjoys rolling in with an uninformed hot take while laying bare that he doesn’t know anything about the organization that is the centerpiece of why people are expressing objections to the judge’s unprompted order…as well as passive aggressively attempting in vain to insult the intelligence and discourse of an entire forum that he made his unprompted entre preemptively throwing a metric ton of monkey shit against the wall pointlessly.

And that when challenged on it, he just disappears. 

So I don’t really give a shit. I can respect slorch a hell of a lot more than that nonsense. 

at no point in any of my posts in this thread did i imply or infer that he as a christofascist despite his fundamentally fucked up defense of the judge's actions.  instead, i was criticizing him for being "an internet poster who swooped in and made a shitty and wrong take on a situation that you typically know something about."  you simply overreacted to my post because you felt compelled to defend someone you had personal affection for.

but it's all good.  ultimately, what matters in this thread is that we have a federal judge in the northern district of texas attempting to go wildly outside his purview to fire shots in a culture war and providing legitimacy to an organization that could not be more diametrically opposed to our nation's constitution.  and that people can be bitchy cunts.

• Hook 'Em 3

51 minutes ago, sidis said:

that's all dandy...the problem is, i never said anything of the sort and you said i was "dead ass wrong" quoting this below post:

at no point in any of my posts in this thread did i imply or infer that he as a christofascist despite his fundamentally fucked up defense of the judge's actions.  instead, i was criticizing him for being "an internet poster who swooped in and made a shitty and wrong take on a situation that you typically know something about."  you simply overreacted to my post because you felt compelled to defend someone you had personal affection for.

but it's all good.  ultimately, what matters in this thread is that we have a federal judge in the northern district of texas attempting to go wildly outside his purview to fire shots in a culture war and providing legitimacy to an organization that could not be more diametrically opposed to our nation's constitution.  and that people can be bitchy cunts.

fair enough, though I think a lot of people thought his shitty take was tied to his perceived allegiance to ADF ideology.  I agree with your third paragraph.

Edited by troph

4 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

What is interesting to me in this discussion, much of it based upon quibbling over words, is that some keep tagging "Litig8r" instead of the poster in question, "Lidig8r."  

@Ghost of LL - I think this is for you. You may owe a mea culpa to whomever the other person is. 

15 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'd sincerely like to see the verdict sheet and jury instructions.  Reports are 3.5M punitives against SWA and about 1M total against the union.  Sounds like unconstitutional punitives to me.

Funny thing.  In 30 years of practice, I don't believe I have ever seen a Dallas federal jury.  Conceivably, they could be old and white af.  Dallas County jurors by and large are not, pretty diverse and pretty balanced.

Dallas federal courts and their judges have been weird in my limited experience. Had a case where the judge did not allow me and defense to agree on an Ad Litem and assigned their own (we had already agreed on an Ad Litem privately). Ended up having to do most of the work because Ad Litem drug her feet beyond belief. Show up to the hearing 5 months after original case settled and the judge didn’t agree with the Ad Litem’s recommendation and now ordered us back to put together a structured deal for minor, opposite of recommendation.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

49 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

What is interesting to me in this discussion, much of it based upon quibbling over words, is that some keep tagging "Litig8r" instead of the poster in question, "Lidig8r."  

Poor Litig8r is probably just trying to look at boobs in IPIHB or something and he's out here catching strays.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Poor Litig8r is probably just trying to look at boobs in IPIHB or something and he's out here catching strays.

looking at rando boobs and you'll catch something stray that's for sure.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I know that's the 2023 surly hot take, but it's just not true.  Plenty of Christians don't support the far right (or even the right).  Many are progessive to liberal, are pro-choice, are anti-bigotry, and are financially committed to helping their downtrodden fellow man.

It's not me who says that (or even really thinks that).  

It's Plaintiff and Judge Starr, who apparently equate cyberbullying in violation of Southwest's employment policies with an obligation of Plaintiff's religious practice.

Personally, I'm with you.  Trolling a coworker's Facetrons with videos of aborted fetuses has nothing to do with the Christian faith with which I grew up.

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

@Ghost of LL - I think this is for you. You may owe a mea culpa to whomever the other person is. 

Well, fuck me running.  I'm an idiot.

Sorry, @Litig8r.

So, @Lidig8r--what was Southwest's "reprehensible conduct" you referenced yesterday?

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

It's not me who says that (or even really thinks that).  

It's Plaintiff and Judge Starr, who apparently equate cyberbullying in violation of Southwest's employment policies with an obligation of Plaintiff's religious practice.

Personally, I'm with you.  Trolling a coworker's Facetrons with videos of aborted fetuses has nothing to do with the Christian faith with which I grew up.

Well, fuck me running.  I'm an idiot.

Sorry, @Litig8r.

So, @Lidig8r--what was Southwest's "reprehensible conduct" you referenced yesterday?

Ghost, I will respond later on.  Have been up to my eyeballs today. My statement was based on the reading of the Order, any my interpretation of what SW Airlines was ordered to do and what SW Airlines actually did. It has nothing to do with the merits (or the lack thereof) of the underlying case. And, as I understand it, those actions were dictated by the three in-house counsel.

18 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

Ghost, I will respond later on.  Have been up to my eyeballs today. My statement was based on the reading of the Order, any my interpretation of what SW Airlines was ordered to do and what SW Airlines actually did. It has nothing to do with the merits (or the lack thereof) of the underlying case. And, as I understand it, those actions were dictated by the three in-house counsel.

I'll look forward to it.

30 minutes ago, troph said:

fake christians are pervasive, real christians saying that's not us doesn't really do much for the heathens out here like me. in fact, it comes across as insensitive shit. if someone is an imposter and stealing your identity you'd probably do all kinds of shit to stop them.  you wouldn't just say, "hey, he's not me" to those who think he is you.  but that's all most real christians do, say "hey, they aren't with us." well, whopty, fucking doo. I'm still getting legislated out of existence, so stop talking and do more.

Speaking out and then doing nothing is pretty performative.  Like any Republican who speaks out against Trump but then votes straight R in every election.

Thank you for not solving the problem. 

• Rage+1 1

Dallas federal courts and their judges have been weird in my limited experience. Had a case where the judge did not allow me and defense to agree on an Ad Litem and assigned their own (we had already agreed on an Ad Litem privately). Ended up having to do most of the work because Ad Litem drug her feet beyond belief. Show up to the hearing 5 months after original case settled and the judge didn’t agree with the Ad Litem’s recommendation and now ordered us back to put together a structured deal for minor, opposite of recommendation.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

They also require local counsel and the mailing of paper copies of motions and responses. They’re a scourge (as are pretty much all Dallas lawyers).
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 8/9/2023 at 1:13 PM, Poe It Up said:

Is that what they talk about? I never pay attention.

There weren’t any women, but a guy has to stay warm on a rig. 

@sidis, you see, here, unlike with @Lidig8r, you have an authentic troller.  If you're wanting to blast someone, by all means please feel free.

FWIW I've never met lidig8r but I know who he is based largely on him having revealed himself during the course of the tragic loss of his daughter (who my daughter, DDD [no pics], knew as a contemporary).  I gave him a pass on his comments, with which I completely disagreed and assumed were uninformed, because he has not shown himself to troll on this board or Shaggy, and because professionally his reputation is solid.

Carry on.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

@sidis, you see, here, unlike with @Lidig8r, you have an authentic troller.  If you're wanting to blast someone, by all means please feel free.

FWIW I've never met lidig8r but I know who he is based largely on him having revealed himself during the course of the tragic loss of his daughter (who my daughter, DDD [no pics], knew as a contemporary).  I gave him a pass on his comments, with which I completely disagreed and assumed were uninformed, because he has not shown himself to troll on this board or Shaggy, and because professionally his reputation is solid.

Carry on.

poe it up isn't a troll.  he's just a simpleton.  his efforts at trolling are just pathetic as seen in this thread.  he's a dumb fucking hick with a child's outlook on the world.

as i said to troph, i understand if you want to give lidig8r a pass because of unrelated personal circumstances.  doesn't mean he didn't act like an ass in this thread or that wildcat or i were wrong in what we said...as will be further evidenced by the fact that he will never circle back to ghost's very simple question because he's "busy."

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Carry on.

Dad, we just landed Simmons. Get the fuck out of the cloak room and party. 

On 8/9/2023 at 1:17 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Yours is a point that cannot be overstated. Simply lumping everybody who calls themselves Christian into a pot of non thinking, hateful, mean, ignorant, greedy hypocrites gives short shrift to millions faithful people who takes seriously the primacy of the love ethic in Christian praxis.  Despite what we see representing Christianity in America, social holiness is really a thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Yours is a point that cannot be overstated. Simply lumping everybody who calls themselves Christian into a pot of non thinking, hateful, mean, ignorant, greedy hypocrites gives short shrift to millions faithful people who takes seriously the primacy of the love ethic in Christian praxis.  Despite what we see representing Christianity in America, social holiness is really a thing.

who take seriously

36 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Happy about landing Black athletes, but hates everything else Black people try to fight for. 

Sounds about right. 

I guess he is black, I didn’t even think about it. It must be terrible to constantly think about one’s race, I’m truly sorry you have to live that way. 

• Fuck You 17

1 hour ago, Poe It Up said:

I guess he is black, I didn’t even think about it. It must be terrible to constantly think about one’s race, I’m truly sorry you have to live that way. 

See, if @Poe It Up were capable of real introspection and reflection, one could believe that their post was sincere. But, most likely @Poe It Up has never considered why a black person may have to be more aware of their own race than the average white person. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Poe It Up said:

I knew he was Black because I followed the recruitment so I've seen his social media. You just admitted you don't follow recruiting yet you're telling people to be happy we got a certain recruit?

It must be terrible to constantly think you have to live to be smarter than everyone else in the room knowing you really aren't. I'm truly sorry you have to live that way. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

See, if @Poe It Up were capable of real introspection and reflection, one could believe that their post was sincere. But, most likely @Poe It Up has never considered why a black person may have to be more aware of their own race than the average white person. 

I saw a kid celebrating a dream come true with family and friends. I couldn’t even imagine reducing him to his skin color at that moment. I pity people like Pancho, they must live in constant hell. 

• Fuck You 14

3 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I saw a kid celebrating a dream come true with family and friends. I couldn’t even imagine reducing him to his skin color at that moment. I pity people like Pancho, they must live in constant hell. 

wooosh. 

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I knew he was Black because I followed the recruitment so I've seen his social media. You just admitted you don't follow recruiting yet you're telling people to be happy we got a certain recruit?

It must be terrible to constantly think you have to live to be smarter than everyone else in the room knowing you really aren't. I'm truly sorry you have to live that way. 

I don’t follow kids on social media, but I spend far too much time hoping kids commit to my team. I think you’re a professor so I don’t claim to be smarter than you at all, I’m claiming to be much happier. 

• Fuck You 9

11 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Not to alarm you, but if you're insinuating I'm not happy because I have to think about my race consciously and subconsciously in everyday life and you do not, then you're just further making the claim as to why white privilege is real and Critical Race Theory is an actual thing. You do know that right? 

He does not. The guy has proven time and again to be a simpleton with zero critical thinking skills. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I don't follow recruits on social media either rather I see what they post based on what others on this website (and other websites) post. So yes, it was pretty easy to see what race the recruit was. You hope athletes commit to your team without knowing anything about them? That doesn't make any sense. Would you be as equally happy if we got a rando athlete from Montana who was a 2 star? No.

I don't know what makes you think you're happier than I am. Communicating injustice doesn't mean someone isn't happy. 

Not to alarm you, but if you're insinuating I'm not happy because I have to think about my race consciously and subconsciously in everyday life and you do not, then you're just further making the claim as to why white privilege is real and Critical Race Theory is an actual thing. You do know that right? 

Well, let's also just go ahead and consider Poe's posting history for a moment. I think the raving against various perceived insults and injustices caused by liberals would indicate someone who isn't so happy (at least based on the reasoning of their post). 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, safe sex said:

#NotAllChristians yeah yeah we know...but enough of them

I guess they are in the same boat with “white men and white women” in general.  Too many support racist attitudes and vote with hate up front.

Edited by nbmishoid

35 minutes ago, Pancho said:

You're talking to the kind of people who genuinely think/believe that when driving past a cop, the average black person's asshole doesn't pucker any tighter than the average white person's asshole.  They live in a fantasy land where while people don't have it easier, and black people have nothing to worry about.

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I don't follow recruits on social media either rather I see what they post based on what others on this website (and other websites) post. So yes, it was pretty easy to see what race the recruit was. You hope athletes commit to your team without knowing anything about them? That doesn't make any sense. Would you be as equally happy if we got a rando athlete from Montana who was a 2 star? No.

I don't know what makes you think you're happier than I am. Communicating injustice doesn't mean someone isn't happy. 

You’re taking one of the best days of this kid’s life and making it about his race, that’s what miserable people do. You’ve made a choice to think that way and it has nothing to do with your skin color. It will always taint your enjoyment until you break free from it, but I really think you will one day. 

• Fuck You 9

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

There really is not much better evidence of the existence of white privilege than when a white person says "I've never had to think about my race at all, much less daily, why should you"?

It also makes a pretty good case for why DEI education is so important.  That sort of empathy obviously does not come naturally to people.

Again, reading is very important in these discussions. That wasn’t said at all. We were discussing this player committing to Texas and Pancho’s need to point out he’s black. It’s sad to me that he looks at Colin and that’s what he sees. 

• Fuck You 8