Maui is on fire

HiggyBaby

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What I'm super-pumped about is how Centex is following the Maui plan

It would have cost you thousands of dollars to get that in Maui. Think of the value.

For the record, we are under 3 different weather warnings/alerts in NorTex today. Global Warming FTMFW

Edited by RPM

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

What I'm super-pumped about is how Centex is following the Maui plan today: remain dry as hell because the storm doesn't hit you directly, but get strong tropical winds ready to fuel any fire that sparks over your tinderbox of a state.  Excellent.  Looking forward to it.

We got lucky they got the Cedar Park fire under control so quickly. That had all the ingredients to go catastrophic in a hurry 

On 8/15/2023 at 8:41 AM, Bevo said:

Well, Texas currently is burning - all we are missing are flames. My SIL says her new shingle roof is melting in Houston. I know my door weather strip at work melted in Austin.

Your sister should have gotten a metal roof like these people who survived the fire. I had no idea a metal roof could provide that kind of protection. 

IMG_1736.thumb.webp.637834804b42c08090df2ea657f860c4.webp

• Like 1

they have interviewed that family multiple times in the last week, They were in Massachussets when the fire hit and they assumed the house was gone.

it wasnt until they saw arial footage a few days later they saw the house survived- and from the interviews the family are pretty guilt ridden about it.

they bought it 2 years ago, and were renovating it, they put the metal roof on along with some stone exterior, which is why fire experts think it survived, plus it didnt have homes directly next to them to catch on fire. 

30 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Brother’s longtime friends in Lahaina say they are pissed about FEMA because of the way it is trying to control relief efforts.

I've worked multiple fire cleanups in California and the one of the main thing California has done right is having Caloes with Calfire running things, Hawaii doesn't have either of those type of organizations from what Im being told

While FEMA is far from perfect but, they've been involved in multiple disaster reliefs, they learn and adapt after each. Lahaina needs to get it through their heads, FEMA is not going to just dump millions to Lahaina and let them do it their way, that is not how this works

Its extremely difficult organizing the logistics of everything on the mainland now add in the island and distance factor

I'm not out there and not sure if we are going to be involved, but I do have some friends out there on a contract basis and they say its a shit show on state side and the residents are " neighborhood Karen's who need to get out of the way and let the professionals do their job"  

This is going to be a long mess

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Smax said:

I've worked multiple fire cleanups in California and the one of the main thing California has done right is having Caloes with Calfire running things, Hawaii doesn't have either of those type of organizations from what Im being told

While FEMA is far from perfect but, they've been involved in multiple disaster reliefs, they learn and adapt after each. Lahaina needs to get it through their heads, FEMA is not going to just dump millions to Lahaina and let them do it their way, that is not how this works

Its extremely difficult organizing the logistics of everything on the mainland now add in the island and distance factor

I'm not out there and not sure if we are going to be involved, but I do have some friends out there on a contract basis and they say its a shit show on state side and the residents are " neighborhood Karen's who need to get out of the way and let the professionals do their job"  

This is going to be a long mess

Brother’s sources say if private parties (local & others) are bringing in relief supplies, FEMA says those people cannot distribute them. 
All has to be turned over to FEMA to be handed out.

I do not know anything other than that…just repeating 3rd hand.

I never have been to Hawaii, but am aware of the local & state incompetence (2nd hand).

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Brother’s sources say if private parties (local & others) are bringing in relief supplies, FEMA says those people cannot distribute them. 

I never have been to Hawaii, but am aware of the local & state incompetence (2nd hand).

There was videos of the locals handing out supplies and Maui police told them they weren't allowed to because they didn't have permits and it was from up high 

• Rage+1 2

On 8/29/2023 at 11:20 AM, Baboontyme said:

How are things on the ground @Hank_Hill

I believe earlier he was saying the death toll would be in the 500 range. It looks like it’s going to top out at about 130. Just an example of how sometimes the people closest to a situation have the least clear picture of what’s actually going on. 

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

I believe earlier he was saying the death toll would be in the 500 range. It looks like it’s going to top out at about 130. Just an example of how sometimes the people closest to a situation have the least clear picture of what’s actually going on. 

What an odd post. Also 

https://mauinow.com/2023/09/01/updated-fbi-list-385-people-remain-unaccounted-for-following-the-lahaina-wildfire/

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Over 100 people on that list have since reached out to say they’re safe. Also the town has basically been 100% searched and they haven’t found remains in days. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/08/30/maui-wildfire-victims-search-nears-end/70716295007/

17 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Over 100 people on that list have since reached out to say they’re safe. Also the town has basically been 100% searched and they haven’t found remains in days. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/08/30/maui-wildfire-victims-search-nears-end/70716295007/

Not to get into a back and forth, just to correct you. Over 100 people on the initial list self reported. This is the new list, which you would have known if you had read the article. And also you may note that your article was dated 8/30, while the one I posted was dated 9/2. I hope you are correct at the end of the day. 

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

Helobious gonna Helobious.  I said that I had heard from multiple first responders that the 89 counted 2 days after the fire was likely only a quarter of the total count. Given the amount of destruction and limited search that had been done at the time (almost none), didn’t sound unreasonable. I never said shit about what the actual number would be. But go off. 130 is super chill I guess? Glad the estimate directly from those idiots closest to the situation (read: people actually picking up dead bodies) was way off. Either way, weird response to someone asking how things are going over here. Stick to jerking yourself off because you picked Uconn to win the tournament you fucking clown.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 9:03 AM, Armybrat said:

At this point the FEMA directed distribution of supplies makes sense so that things are distributed equally and rationed appropriately. It was the first few days when it was frustrating that locals had to go by boat to bring supplies because they were being blocked by road and FEMA was ass dragging.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/29/2023 at 6:20 AM, Baboontyme said:

How are things on the ground @Hank_Hill

Things are improving slowly. The logistics now seem to have smoothed. I’m volunteering with a group called Mauna Medics going door to door (or tent to tent)providing care and bringing in prescriptions. The island outside of Lahaina is really starting to feel the effect of locals telling people not to come at all.

csb/ met The Rock. I weigh 175, dude could flick me across the room.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...