Jim Jordan

Hank Kingsley

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Fauci has literally done exactly that, dozens of times.  Jordan and the boys just don't like the answer and they want a scapegoat.

It's as if you haven't been watching.

In that case, what are the thresholds? 

I watched those clips, and he said nothing of the sort. To the contrary, he deliberately avoided providing an answer along those lines. I’ve questioned and presented a lot of witnesses, and Fauci was being deliberately evasive. 

Edited by BrickHorn

37 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I'll be continuing to mask in public: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html

But you're welcome to do you and please don't mind if I especially steer clear of people who aren't wearing masks in public regardless of their vaccination status. This is one of the many reasons why: https://time.com/5955500/covid-19-vaccine-booster-shot/

Fuck that shit. COVID zero is not a realistic goal from public health perspective.  If you want to, wear a mask, and practice avoidance of vaccinated people who do not, but a small number of serious breakthrough cases is not a rational basis for public policy. 

74MM people vaccinated, 396 hospitalized, 74 died. Nine of the 74 died from something know to be other than COVID. 

Hospitalizations and deaths that are not a direct result of COVID-19 are still considered vaccine breakthrough cases if the person was fully vaccinated and subsequently tested positive for COVID-19.

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is a bullshit argument against Fauci.  He has no power to set policy and is not responsible for any abridgment of personal liberty.

Dude. Literally no one on this thread is saying Fauci should set policy or should have dictated a threshold from the witness stand. But he’s a fucking expert on epidemiology and employed by the federal government to study this disease and offer advice on it. One year into the pandemic, he should be able to answer a simple question about what conditions will be safe, in his EXPERT opinion. 

And that is true whether or not the guy who asked the question is a grandstanding clown. 

Fauci’s (and the administration’s) evasiveness is bad PR that feeds stupid conspiracy narratives and will make life harder for all of us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Question. In any given year, about half the population gets a flu shot (yes I know this isn't the flu). Of the remainder, about 25% don't get the flu and the rest do. Some people that get the flu have been vaccinated but have a milder case.

So @Sawbonz given that for this virus which is new, if we reached anything over 50% vaccinated, which would be similar to the above, would that eventually be workable as the population acquired some protection through either vaccine immunity or contracting the virus and recovering? I mean, it wouldn't be ideal, but is that what we are probably looking at as the virus spins out variants?

12 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Fuck that shit. COVID zero is not a realistic goal from public health perspective.  If you want to, wear a mask, and practice avoidance of vaccinated people who do not, but a small number of serious breakthrough cases is not a rational basis for public policy. 

74MM people vaccinated, 396 hospitalized, 74 died. Nine of the 74 died from something know to be other than COVID. 

Hospitalizations and deaths that are not a direct result of COVID-19 are still considered vaccine breakthrough cases if the person was fully vaccinated and subsequently tested positive for COVID-19.

No, but the low numbers of vaccination (American population is at least 330M) is an acceptable basis from which to form expert scientific opinion. It's the exact reason Walensky has been begging states to hold on for just a little longer (her hope was to see relaxation of measures by the summer when presumably enough of the population would be vaccinated). 

39 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

A lot of “mays” and “mights” in that article. 

You are welcome to mask for the rest of your life.  As far as RNA viruses and mutations go, the family of coronaviruses is fairly stable. I have seen no data to suggest Covid-19 will be any different. Immunity to the spike protein, which is essential for the virus to enter cells, should be long lasting, because if the spike changes enough to evade antibodies and Tcells then it should be much less effective at attaching and entering host cells. That’s a very good thing. Reinfection / second infection rate, now with greater than 12 months of data, is extremely low, meaning people who have recovered from covid infection have a great deal of immunity. Given the CDC estimates at least 85M cases as of January 19, we are moving closer to herd immunity with every shot going in an arm. That’s a good thing. I don’t hear Fauci talking about any of that. But maybe the right wing media I consume as my primary source for news (npr) are hiding his messaging on this. 

That’s a lot of words to say you are a reluctant republican.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

No, but the low numbers of vaccination (American population is at least 330M) is an acceptable basis from which to form expert scientific opinion. It's the exact reason Walensky has been begging states to hold on for just a little longer (her hope was to see relaxation of measures by the summer when presumably enough of the population would be vaccinated). 

I don't think that focusing on the extremely low risk of serious break through disease is productive to increasing those numbers.

9 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Question. In any given year, about half the population gets a flu shot (yes I know this isn't the flu). Of the remainder, about 25% don't get the flu and the rest do. Some people that get the flu have been vaccinated but have a milder case.

So @Sawbonz given that for this virus which is new, if we reached anything over 50% vaccinated, which would be similar to the above, would that eventually be workable as the population acquired some protection through either vaccine immunity or contracting the virus and recovering? I mean, it wouldn't be ideal, but is that what we are probably looking at as the virus spins out variants?

I may be misreading you here but it looks like you are estimating 25% of the population gets the flu in a given year? I don’t think it’s that high. 

I think wrt COVID-19 if we get above 50% vaxed, if the cdc estimated cases (a little over 4x reported positives when they last updated in January) are close to accurate we will see new cases plummet. Then we can focus on hotspots. 

50 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

In that case, what are the thresholds? 

I watched those clips, and he said nothing of the sort. To the contrary, he deliberately avoided providing an answer along those lines. I’ve questioned and presented a lot of witnesses, and Fauci was being deliberately evasive. 

I'm not talking about the testimony this week.  I'm talking about Fauci's well-documented statements over the course of the pandemic.  To be fair to you, his threshold has climbed, and I don't like that it has done so because (by his admission) he was being intentionally optimistic, but he's gone from ~ 70% to ~ 85% vaccinated/immune before "normalcy" will resume.  I mean, he says these things all the time.  

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

To be fair to you, his threshold has climbed, and I don't like that it has done so because (by his admission) he was being intentionally optimistic, but he's gone from ~ 70% to ~ 85% vaccinated/immune before "normalcy" will resume.

"Intentionally optimistic".  I am going to remember that one for the next time I am just bullshitting numbers and decide to change them later when the winds shift. That shift is not driven by data, at least I have not ever seen it articulated. 

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not talking about the testimony this week.  I'm talking about Fauci's well-documented statements over the course of the pandemic.  To be fair to you, his threshold has climbed, and I don't like that it has done so because (by his admission) he was being intentionally optimistic, but he's gone from ~ 70% to ~ 85% vaccinated/immune before "normalcy" will resume.  I mean, he says these things all the time.  

Where? And why did he refuse to say them or refer to his prior statements when directly asked?

26 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I may be misreading you here but it looks like you are estimating 25% of the population gets the flu in a given year? I don’t think it’s that high. 

I think wrt COVID-19 if we get above 50% vaxed, if the cdc estimated cases (a little over 4x reported positives when they last updated in January) are close to accurate we will see new cases plummet. Then we can focus on hotspots. 

Thanks for the reply.

I'd like to see at least 60%, but given some of what's gone on I'm going to be content if it can get to 50%. The inertia and reluctance are going to be difficult it looks like.

With respect to the flu numbers, that was an old stat I was recalling from the CDC from pre-pandemic, so I went just now and looked it up and this was what I found, so your thinking looks pretty smart!

Both methods had similar findings, which suggested that on average, about 8% of the U.S. population gets sick from flu each season, with a range of between 3% and 11%, depending on the season.

It went on to mention that the old range was higher because they estimated asymptomatic cases and the new methodology uses only symptomatic cases.

So I stand corrected.

15 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

"Intentionally optimistic".  I am going to remember that one for the next time I am just bullshitting numbers and decide to change them later when the winds shift. That shift is not driven by data, at least I have not ever seen it articulated. 

Why would he admit to having been intentionally misleading as opposed to just wrong?  Does that sound like any scientist you know?

He admits it wasn't driven by data.  He admits it was driven by his perception of what it would take to get the most people vaccinated.  I don't like it.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Why would he admit to having been intentionally misleading as opposed to just wrong?  Does that sound like any scientist you know?

He admits it wasn't driven by data.  He admits it was driven by his perception of what it would take to get the most people vaccinated.  I don't like it.

You shouldn’t and you should stop making excuses for him. He is politicking, not acting based on the science and data.  That is the problem. Objective goal setting is not something that bureaucrats excel at. That is precisely what fauci is at this point in his career. 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You shouldn’t and you should stop making excuses for him. He is politicking, not acting based on the science and data.  That is the problem. Objective goal setting is not something that bureaucrats excel at. That is precisely what fauci is at this point in his career. 

I'll do whatever the fuck I want to do, Dad.  Fauci is in an impossible position, and has been there for over a year.  I don't give him an A, but I'm not failing him, either.

I would love to see how you'd have handled his job.  (Hint:  you would have been a dismal failure.  Zero people skills is not a prerequisite for the position.)

7 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i'm still struggling with the logic dissonance of a biological ATTACK on freedumbs and liberties.   freedumbs people had no problem with a war on an axiomatic adjective ("terra") but this is an actual act of god or act of nature and gym is ATTACKING fauci as if fauci is the one who is responsible for the biological ATTACK.   the american dipshits have been under ATTACK for a year, when are you going to stop it Mr. Fauci?

Trump is 100% responsible.

A savvy President would have looked at the pandemic as an opportunity to unite the country, boost his profile, raise his favorability ratings among those who didn't vote for him, and absolutely cruise to reelection.

Trump went full moron.

He saw the pandemic as an attack on his presidency.  He made it completely political, refused to voluntarily do the simple things that could have sent a signal to his followers that it was okay to wear masks and wash your hands and do some social distancing. Hell, he not only caught it late in the game, he created multiple well-documented super-spread events in the process, both with his rallies, and with things like the Supreme Court victory lap that infected a bunch of WH staffers, and the debate outbreak with Hope Hicks and the others. And he gave out false/stupid advice, and retweeted conspiracy bullshit to his followers.

Shit, after it killed Herman Cain and nearly killed Chris Christie, Trump doubled down on the stupidity, rather than using those two events to say "okay, this shit is serious, we need to get it together and defeat this."

Reagan, either of the two Bushes, Bill Clinton, Obama, all of them would have seen such a pandemic as a way to unite the country, and quietly, as a way to cruise to reelection.  But not Trump, he went full moron and made it about himself.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

A savvy President would have looked at the pandemic as an opportunity to unite the country, boost his profile, raise his favorability ratings among those who didn't vote for him, and absolutely cruise to reelection.

Trump went full moron.

He saw the pandemic as an attack on his presidency.  He made it completely political, refused to voluntarily do the simple things that could have sent a signal to his followers that it was okay to wear masks and wash your hands and do some social distancing. Hell, he not only caught it late in the game, he created multiple well-documented super-spread events in the process, both with his rallies, and with things like the Supreme Court victory lap that infected a bunch of WH staffers, and the debate outbreak with Hope Hicks and the others. And he gave out false/stupid advice, and retweeted conspiracy bullshit to his followers.

Shit, after it killed Herman Cain and nearly killed Chris Christie, Trump doubled down on the stupidity, rather than using those two events to say "okay, this shit is serious, we need to get it together and defeat this."

Reagan, either of the two Bushes, Bill Clinton, Obama, all of them would have seen such a pandemic as a way to unite the country, and quietly, as a way to cruise to reelection.  But not Trump, he went full moron and made it about himself.

Trump went full moron on basically everything from the start of his campaign.  Shockingly it kept “working” right up to until it didn’t.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The narcissism is so strong that it is virtually impossible for him to make any decision that isn’t about him directly. I have a friend whose mother’s narcissism is so toxic that he stopped communicating with her altogether because of the effect it would have on him.

16 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

It is perplexing to me why no one will provide an answer as to what the finish line even looks like, much less a timeline for when we might get there.  

I agree Fauci shouldn’t make something up on the spot, but I do not understand how we have the big brains thinking about this nonstop and there isn’t already a pat answer to such a question. Why is that?

Other people in the thread have already adequately covered it, and as I and others have mentioned, there are no answers that will ever satisfy Gym Jordan, but we have some additional problems that the GOP refuses to consider.  We are in a situation where it didn't go away in the heat of the summer, where we will be getting vaccines/booster shots on a yearly basis (or possibly sooner depending on the vaccine) for years to come, and where we have a significant chunk of the population who refuses to get the vaccine thanks to Republican leadership. And new variants keep springing up, and every time the pharmas have to check if their vaccines work against them.

So whatever numbers the CDC puts out for herd immunity doesn't really matter - we won't ever reach that point thanks to idiots on the right pushing fake news about covid, and GOP politicians are going to do their absolute best to constantly cast doubt on anything concerning covid-19.

I will be surprised if we don't hit 700,000 Americans dying from covid by the end of this year, and Republicans won't blink a single fucking eyelash about it.

It would be great if people like Gym Jordan committed themselves to getting Americans to vaccinate and do the measures to get this shit under control, but politicians like him are committed to chaos and trying to create as many problems as he can for Biden and Co.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'll do whatever the fuck I want to do, Dad.  Fauci is in an impossible position, and has been there for over a year.  I don't give him an A, but I'm not failing him, either.

I would love to see how you'd have handled his job.  (Hint:  you would have been a dismal failure.  Zero people skills is not a prerequisite for the position.)

You sound like an HR drone and not an engineer. I would have pressed a first dose strategy and allowed for flexible second dosing and we’d be in a better place right now. Further I’d advocate a more rational approach to the JNJ signals.  

Edited by Anastasis

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

who are two people that Trump gives ZERO fucks about ?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I will be surprised if we don't hit 700,000 Americans dying from covid by the end of this year, and Republicans won't blink a single fucking eyelash about it.

It would be great if people like Gym Jordan committed themselves to getting Americans to vaccinate and do the measures to get this shit under control, but politicians like him are committed to chaos and trying to create as many problems as he can for Biden and Co.

Honestly, they wouldn't have blinked if we'd have hit the potential 2 million target for which Trump was aiming. The only thing that stopped him and his sycophants was the economy and even that was a dice throw due to the money making PPE and pharma opportunities and all the other stock market swindles. He seriously did not care if that many people died. It was just a number to him.

The very best tyrants go for the highest numbers and Trump was always a fan of Be Best.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Trump went full moron on basically everything from the start of his campaign.  Shockingly it kept “working” right up to until it didn’t.

What's really shocking is the pandemic should have been a grand slam home run to boost his reelection chances. It was such a simple thing that everybody could understand.

I'm not sure who is the bigger fucking moron - Trump, or those around him, whether it be family, friends, or advisors, that definitely knew the pandemic was an opportunity to cruise to reelection.  Like @UpperWestside said, Trump's narcissism doomed him, but there were people around him that knew the opportunity that the pandemic presented.  They could have presented it to him as being a strong, assertive leader trying to protect the whole nation.

Instead, they let him push fake news and make it all about him.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trump went full moron.

If trump wasn’t such a complete narcissistic moron and reacted to Covid in a public manner that every single other president in history would have acted he would still be president.

So I guess we got lucky.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So whatever numbers the CDC puts out for herd immunity doesn't really matter

This is absolutely not true. See my posts above. Put aside your (justified)hate for Trump and the Republican Party and use your brain

30 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

If trump wasn’t such a complete narcissistic moron and reacted to Covid in a public manner that every single other president in history would have acted he would still be president.

So I guess we got lucky.

I hate to say getting him out is worth 250k lives (probably the delta for another president) but it probably is. Imagine him winning and Thomas retiring 

4 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

This is absolutely not true. See my posts above. Put aside your (justified)hate for Trump and the Republican Party and use your brain

Oh it matters, but I'm saying that no matter what number is presented, Republicans like Gym will trash it, and Republicans like Gym are not going to lift a finger to encourage the public to get to that number.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

You sound like an HR drone and not an engineer.

Sick burn.

I would have pressed a first dose strategy and allowed for flexible second dosing and we’d be in a better place right now. Further I’d advocate a more rational approach to the JNJ signals.  

Had you sat in front of Congressional committees or the media, you would have spewed language incomprehensible to the audience, right or not.  You would have then wandered off cocksure you had killed it, when in reality you would have communicated zero information whatsoever.  The very fact that you don't understand Fauci's role in these public-facing events is proof positive.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trump went full moron.

Unlike Cain, Christie and Carson were fortunate to have received the Regeneron cocktail, without which both would have most likely died. 

10 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

between the posters bogged down i politics and to posters trying to talk objective science. 

Yes, but what about "political" "science".  You see, what some of this all pre-supposes is maybe there's a science of politics.  Which is just really a scientific evaluation of insanity.  

But yes, as stated above...the 2020 Trump loss is nearly the phenomenon as the 2016 Trump victory.  

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

You sound like an HR drone and not an engineer. I would have pressed a first dose strategy and allowed for flexible second dosing and we’d be in a better place right now. Further I’d advocate a more rational approach to the JNJ signals.  

While I don’t disagree with you I think our bigger problem is not one dose or J&J but that a significant part of the population won’t do either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yes, but what about "political" "science".  You see, what some of this all pre-supposes is maybe there's a science of politics.  Which is just really a scientific evaluation of insanity.  

But yes, as stated above...the 2020 Trump loss is nearly the phenomenon as the 2016 Trump victory.  

hot take. political science is not really science.

yeah, I know dude.  You just mentioned the study of "politics" and then the study of "science."  Just wanted to point out there was a thing sorta sounds like that.  But UT got clever and just calls if "Government."  We're literally one of only a handful of schools that does that.  My point is this.  FREEDOM!

And Jim Jordan likes to watch kids get fucked.  He always has his jacket off because it's easier to start jerking off that way.  Nobody whacks it con lana.

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Let the dumb fucks FAFO.  

Yeah this is where I’m at.

On a personal note my parents in their 70s are waiting on J&J for some unexplainable reason. The blood clot thing doesn’t concern them it’s just right now they can’t get it. I’m just happy they’re still willing to do that one when it’s available again. 

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

yeah, I know dude.  You just mentioned the study of "politics" and then the study of "science."  Just wanted to point out there was a thing sorta sounds like that.  But UT got clever and just calls if "Government."  We're literally one of only a handful of schools that does that.  My point is this.  FREEDOM!

And Jim Jordan likes to watch kids get fucked.  He always has his jacket off because it's easier to start jerking off that way.  Nobody whacks it con lana.

Since I was a UT “government” major this hits close to home. Was always curious why UT called it “government”instead of “political science.”

24 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Pretty clear distinction between the posters bogged down i politics and to posters trying to talk objective science. 

There’s a difference between posters pointing out politics, and those acting them out.  Those acting them out are pretty fucking evident.   I was ribbing sawbones earlier in this thread as a reluctant republican, and I reckon he has some sense.  You’re wrong about getting bogged down in politics.  What you mean is getting bogged down in reality.   A large part of this country is having none of that, and it’s not politics, it’s ignorant.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Fauci isn't a bureaucrat. He's an infectious diseases researcher. He is not politicking. He's giving the current state of affairs which isn't so rosy when he was called to testify for the umpteenth time. IMO, Congress should leave the man alone because nothing is changed based on his previous statements. He can't guarantee when the infection rate will come down because it is influenced by things such as vaccination rate, social distancing, and mask wearing. Literally any group that is trying to forecast attempts to take these things into consideration when developing models. Fauci has no power to make any of these decisions and Gym was accusing him of damaging the lives of the American public at large. Why do you think Fauci finally shot back at Gym accusing him of making the issue personal?

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

You wouldn't have advocated for shit. If this is your area of specialty, what the fuck are you doing on Surly and why aren't you part of some ID/Epi team that is modeling, forecasting, and giving advice based on collected data and subsequent modeling? Flexible second dosing is absolutely idiotic - why wouldn't you attempt to reduce the time to fully vaccinated status to attempt to slow transmission and when there is concern for viral mutation that is likely reducing the efficacy of the current vaccine supply? It is no longer an issue of supply, it's an issue of distribution and combating vaccine hesitancy.

By any metric or viewpoint, cases are surging. Taking the attitude that public health measures will not slow down infectious transmission (especially asymptomatic transmission) is foolhardy. I will have you recall that testing is down as well too. Read and educate yourself.

Speaking at the national conference of State of Reform on April 8, Murray cited the seasonality of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which wanes in the summer and waxes in the winter. The "optimistic forecast" of IHME, which has modeled the course of the pandemic for the past 13 months, is that daily deaths will rise a bit in the next month, then decline from May through August, he said.

"Summer should be fairly quiet in terms of COVID, if vaccinations rise and people don't stop wearing masks," Murray said.

But he added that "a considerable surge will occur over next winter," because the new variants are more transmissible, and people will likely relax social distancing and mask wearing. The IHME predicts that the percentage of Americans who usually don masks will decline from 73% today to 21% by August 1.

With a rapid decline in mask use and a rise in mobility, there will still be more than 1000 deaths each day by July 1, Murray said. In a forecast released the day after Murray spoke, the IHME predicted that by August 1, there will be a total of 618,523 US deaths from COVID-19. Deaths could be as high as 696,651 if mobility among the vaccinated returns to pre-pandemic levels, the institute forecasts.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/949154

This group is out of the University of Washington (not NIH - Fauci or CDC - Walensky). It's still not looking good through July. Things should improve in the summer, but see the caveats that Dr. Murray gives - "if vaccinations rise and people don't stop wearing masks."

You're arguing for the sake of arguing or maybe it's because you're dying to get back to normalcy, but guess what, the experts (which you are obviously not) are stating the same conditions needed to get back to normalcy that have been stated for months. Suggesting to stop wearing masks and social distancing before 2021 is over is contributing to the problem.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Again, this is the Gym Jordan thread. And suggesting that Dr. Anthony Fauci, MD should have said or done something at the request or behest of Gym Jordan is utterly laughable. 

Dr. Fauci is not contributing to the problem in any way, shape, or form. Gym Jordan needs to DIAF for continuing to politicize the pandemic and by carrying on a war against science. Republicans can get fucked too. They should have banded together to stand up to Trump and prevented pandemic politicization in the first damn place. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

What you mean is getting bogged down in reality.

6 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Not something that particularly impacts most of the posters on this board. 

4 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

letting them do so is a clear and present danger to NATIONAL SECURITY

• Haha 1