Jim Jordan

Hank Kingsley

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Here ya go:

Feb/21

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/dr-fauci-says-when-we-can-stop-wearing-masks/ar-BB1dFKo4

"That means "you need to get about 70 to 85% of the population vaccinated," said Fauci during a virtual event at the University of Miami on Thursday. Fauci defined herd immunity as "when the level of virus is so low in the community, that it clearly is no longer a threat … and there are very few infections."

He repeated something similar in March, so I'll stop there with links. In the March interview he brought up variant surges, but if I understood his remarks correctly he was saying that is why getting the vaccines in arms was important: it stops the variants among the greater population. He didn't mention Israel, but that does seem to be what is occurring there--they have things looking pretty good at this moment.

I’ll ask again: why didn’t Fauci just say exactly that when asked the same question by Jordan? Seems easy enough. He’s already on record. Just answer the question the way you have previously, state any important caveats, and then use your description of the goals as a segue to encourage the public to help meet those goals.

Instead, Fauci evaded the question and played into Jordan’s hands. I am not an objective observer, and even I could see that. But some of y’all are so blinded by your disdain for Jordan that you can’t evaluate how an impartial audience will interpret their exchange.

If Fauci were my expert witness, I would be on the phone with my client talking about what they need to do to settle the case.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

I find it hard to fathom somebody with both medical and public health degrees defending the lack of objective and measurable goals as a core component of our public health messaging, but I guess they exist.       

I will say that given the antivax attitudes of rural mouth breathers and Republican covid deniers, I would hesitate giving any information that might be used by the GQP media and political sycophants as justification for not being vaccinated.

tl;dr version: I’d fudge the measurables to get idiots to get a shot if I was King.

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

I’ll ask again: why didn’t Fauci just say exactly that when asked the same question by Jordan? Seems easy enough. He’s already on record. Just answer the question the way you have previously, state any important caveats, and then use your description of the goals as a segue to encourage the public to help meet those goals.

Well, he doesn't work for the CDC.  Maybe there's a differentiation between opinion via media and testimony in front of Congress.  That said, if you think Jordan's attack dog style doesn't put a mild-mannered person like Fauci in a corner, you're really not tuning in to the dynamics.  He was probably deciding if it was finally time to say "fuck you" in public.

21 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

I stayed at a holiday inn express last night 

I knew already that you were a physician but I was unclear of your specialty (user name seems to hint it, but I figured I would ask directly).   Being as I am ignorant of your profession, I would like to ask you how much time did/do you spend on infectious disease and their variants (protozoa, viral, bacteria) and their identification, mitigation, transmission, and the body's response.    

Wait, I thought Gym Jordan was only alleged to have covered up the harassment of college athletes? If so, he's not a libertarian, they go in much more for sexual harassment of minors. Or did he get caught on tape saying "it's not pedophilia, it's ephebophilia"?

On 4/17/2021 at 1:07 PM, Sawbonz said:

What the fuck are you on about? No one is asking him for a miracle. Give a fucking benchmark and timeline for ending masking recommendations. Tell people to get vaxed or get fucked (in a diplomatic way).

Or get the fuck out and let someone who can do those things be in charge of messaging. Quit defending someone just because Trump hated them

Um, it isn't that hard to figure out, doc.  Maybe his crystal ball is in the shop*.  He told people to get the vaccine.  

Who said I was defending the guy because Trump hated him?  That projection is all you.   

*Do you really think they do not have a plan to end the mask/timeline?  Why would they not disclose it and whom would make the recommendation to not do so?  What is the risk/reward from making such a declaration?  So if you need a deadline, I'll give you one.  It is a cessation of all masking by Dec. 2021 provided we come out with a safe vaccine for children and get 80% of them vaccinated by Nov. 2021.     

13 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Wait, I thought Gym Jordan was only alleged to have covered up the harassment of college athletes? If so, he's not a libertarian, they go in much more for sexual harassment of minors. Or did he get caught on tape saying "it's not pedophilia, it's ephebophilia"?

I believe the locker room libertarian name is apt. He was free to ignore the claimants because the market would take care of it.

On 4/18/2021 at 12:59 PM, BrickHorn said:

If Fauci were my expert witness, I would be on the phone with my client talking about what they need to do to settle the case.

As you would when the people citing 1 in 1MM events are trying to act like they understand public health policy and decision making. They got all the right degrees they tell us. Some people are perfectly happy climbing into their hole when the rest of the nation is looking for effective communication on when we climb out. 

Edited by Anastasis
going live.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Filled???

No, she is insatiable. 

Speaking of watching balls get drained, what's Jim Jordan up to today?  I was always a get a shower, get dressed, and get outta there type of gym rat...but ole' Jim has another approach.  It's been too quiet on the Jordan/Gaetz front lately.  If it weren't for all the mass shootings, this would have been a rather tame week by 2020-21 standards.  

21 hours ago, Nivek said:

So if you need a deadline, I'll give you one.  It is a cessation of all masking by Dec. 2021 provided we come out with a safe vaccine for children and get 80% of them vaccinated by Nov. 2021.   

Surly poster Nivek just articulated in a few words what seems to be failing our leadership, a clear set of endpoint criteria.

I'd argue for a set of tiered goals based on mortality risk.  Easiest way to do that is to probably use age.  We could play with the numbers a bit, but something like below seems reasonable:

80-90% of those 65+

60-70% of those 35-65

40-50% of those 16-34

I don't think that you can base reentry on vaccine authorizations that do not yet exist in the absolutely lowest risk groups (those <16yo). Hospitalization and fatality rates are extremely low in this age group, and we will not see the level of vax uptake you are suggesting until some time 2022 at minimum. We should build the objective goal around the age groups at objectively higher risk of poor outcomes.

And if you are willing to roll with those numbers, we are very very close to achieving those goals. 

Screenshot-2021-04-20-062620.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-20-062647.jpg

Edited by Anastasis

15 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I just don't think 60-70% of 35-65 is ever going to happen.  I would be money on it in Texas for sure.

I think that 35-45 is going to be a tough nut to crack. I've been banging my head against the wall with a few folks in my orbit in that age category. If we extrapolate from some of the hesitancy research, looks like we will hit a ceiling around 55-65% of 35-65 and will need better messaging to break out to 70%. The issues with JNJ really hurt here. An age restriction on the only one dose shot authorized will be a set back if that is the route FDA/CDC takes.  

Screenshot-2021-04-20-081253.jpg

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I think that 35-45 is going to be a tough nut to crack. I've been banging my head against the wall with a few folks in my orbit in that age category. If we extrapolate from some of the hesitancy research, looks like we will hit a ceiling around 55-65% of 35-65 and will need better messaging to break out to 70%. The issues with JNJ really hurt here. An age restriction on the only one dose shot authorized will be a set back if that is the route FDA/CDC takes.  

Screenshot-2021-04-20-081253.jpg

Goddamn GenXers.

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Be like if fucking AIDS didn’t kill me, COVID only makes me stronger. 

That’s cause maybe I gots the Magic Johnson aids. Didn’ do shit. Those other suckers caught the Eazy-E aids. Sucks for them but yeah, fuck it.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 7:00 AM, Anastasis said:

I'd argue for a set of tiered goals based on mortality risk.  Easiest way to do that is to probably use age.  We could play with the numbers a bit, but something like below seems reasonable:

80-90% of those 65+

60-70% of those 35-65

40-50% of those 16-34

Screenshot-2021-04-20-062620.jpg

Update on first dose rates by age group a week later...

We've cleared the 65+ group with first dose, 35-65 maybe ~50%, 16-35 maybe ~35% or so. Need ~10% more in the latter two categories with run out for second dose admin and efficacy, and we are there. The battles are by the ones at this point. 

Screenshot-2021-04-27-172131.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m not getting my hopes up. After the latest census, Ohio is losing a seat. Jordan comes from a heavily gerrymandered district. Maybe that will change but I wouldn’t count on it as long as Mike DeWine is governor.

duckdistrict.jpg

https://thebulwark.com/lame-duck-the-end-of-the-most-gerrymandered-district-in-ohio/

We’ll see but I find that pessimism is usually the safe bet. 

8 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’m not getting my hopes up. After the latest census, Ohio is losing a seat. Jordan comes from a heavily gerrymandered district. Maybe that will change but I wouldn’t count on it as long as Mike DeWine is governor.

duckdistrict.jpg

https://thebulwark.com/lame-duck-the-end-of-the-most-gerrymandered-district-in-ohio/

We’ll see but I find that pessimism is usually the safe bet. 

That Jordan is from the Champaign/Shelby/Miami county intersection (St. Paris area) is perfect- he's the shit that comes from that duck shaped district's ass.

• Haha 3