Jim Jordan

Hank Kingsley

4 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

I don't think this is clear at all yet. Have you seen the latest from Israel about Pfizer and the South African variant? 

You mean the one where all the documented infections were within 2 weeks of the 2nd dose?  Also I could not find the study itself but just the summary, which did not indicate how many if any of the positive tests were associated with clinical illness 

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is the crux of the "issue".  This is why Jim Jordan is talking like a maniac. He desperately doesn't want us to remember that he lied about the Ukrainian aid hold up, that he just got handed some election commission notices regarding a lot of unreported campaign cash, and that some of the news drops today may have angered his other boss that speaks Russian.

FIFY

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Seems pretty likely that the enrichment is owing to decreased effectiveness. 

Don't fear the reaper.  Vax strategy is the primary differentiator in this chart. 

Israel sold out to PFE. UK went all in with first dose strategy and extend intervals. 

Screenshot-2021-04-15-224617.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

what if someone told you football without masks if we were at 90% vaccination and proof required to enter?

I'm going to a baseball game tonight--Friday.  We'll see how it goes--bringing a mask and my vaccination card.  Curious about it and hope these aren't the last words I type.  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Right.  And we're probably never going to get to that level of vaccination in this country.  But Fauci can't exactly say, "Too many of you idiots listen to people like Jim Jordan and Tucker Carlson instead of to, ya know, every doctor in the country, so Covid will continue to kill hundreds of thousands of Americans every year forever, and doctors like me will continue to advocate for masks and social distancing and you'll just ignore us and belittle us, so what's the fucking point, except that maybe we get a little Darwinism out of all of this?  There's your concrete answer: a bunch more of you stupid shits are gonna die.  When will it be safe to mingle without masks?  Never.  Because of you."

We've been over this before but the anti-vax demo is a pretty diverse group. It isn't just drooling muh freedomz retards. White, black, latino, right wing rednecks, far left tofu eating hippies, etc. I guess we have that going for us.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, lmao said:

We've been over this before but the anti-vax demo is a pretty diverse group. It isn't just drooling muh freedomz retards. White, black, latino, right wing rednecks, far left tofu eating hippies, etc. I guess we have that going for us.

This is true and we have. The measles resurgence pre-pandemic was a good example of that. Groups in Texas ranged from the crystal/essential oils crowd to devout churches that eschew medical interventions. In NYC where the outbreak was severe, the Hasidic communities were hit particularly hard and outreach was difficult for a variety of reasons, one of them being that the anti-vax coalitions had gotten there first. In California it was the crystal crowd and the anti-government anti-everything groups that suddenly found common ground. Opportunists like Del Bigtree stepped in and made bank. That was several years ago and unfortunately they've grown larger and more entrenched so it's not helping. Combining that with reduced access in rural areas, it has taken a robust system of public health that was decades in the making and gutted it.

14 hours ago, Anastasis said:

If you constrain his argument to "muh freedoms!", yeah.  If you can consider the aspect of his argument that our public health leaders are not articulating objective goals that define the end of the tunnel, or even hedged goals that define the endpoint, he has a point. 

He went on that tangent because it's a good sound byte. You boil down a complex issue to a simple question and decorate it with "muh freedumz," you're going to win over a lot of seriously dumb voters. That whole screed he went on yesterday had absolutely nothing to do with serious discussion about public policy with intellectually serious people. It had everything to do with the "I'd have a beer with him, I'm voting for him" crowd.

Nine...eleven=Our...freedom.

EDIT: Also, notice the very dramatic hand gestures. When you couple that with the empty, substance-free commentary, you should take note that you're watching a person trying to assume the role of an oppressed individual preaching dramatically against his/her oppressor. For the past year, the GOP has been on a non-stop crusade to frame Anthony fucking Fauci as Sheev Palpatine reincarnated. All I'd have to say, were I in that room, would be "Congressman, I served with Obi Wan Kenobi. I knew Obi Wan Kenobi. Obi Wan Kenobi was a friend of mine. Congressman, you're no Obi Wan Kenobi," since we're all completely pulling this out of our asses anyways.

Edited by hpslugga
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

This is true and we have. The measles resurgence pre-pandemic was a good example of that. Groups in Texas ranged from the crystal/essential oils crowd to devout churches that eschew medical interventions. In NYC where the outbreak was severe, the Hasidic communities were hit particularly hard and outreach was difficult for a variety of reasons, one of them being that the anti-vax coalitions had gotten there first. In California it was the crystal crowd and the anti-government anti-everything groups that suddenly found common ground. Opportunists like Del Bigtree stepped in and made bank. That was several years ago and unfortunately they've grown larger and more entrenched so it's not helping. Combining that with reduced access in rural areas, it has taken a robust system of public health that was decades in the making and gutted it.

These anti-vax lobby coalitions needs to be beaten to death 

https://www.statnews.com/2017/05/08/measles-vaccines-somali/

1 hour ago, hpslugga said:

All I'd have to say, were I in that room, would be "Congressman, I served with Obi Wan Kenobi. I knew Obi Wan Kenobi. Obi Wan Kenobi was a friend of mine. Congressman, you're no Obi Wan Kenobi," since we're all completely pulling this out of our asses anyways.

I don't care for Boehner, but I read this in his voice instead of Bentsen's and it was hilarious.

16 hours ago, Anastasis said:

This really isn't about Gym.  It's frankly amazing that Fauci has been politically bubble wrapped such as to be impervious to criticism. 

Why would you be amazed?  This virus has been politicized and Republicans have been told to hate him, and therefore Democrats must defend him.  Go team!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Just replace Fauci so people can calm down, but for God's sake don't put the new person's face on a fucking candle 

This. Hero worship is cult shit. Same with demonization. Both cloud one’s judgment. This thread is evidence that the left is not immune to that crap, and it’s a little depressing.

6 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

This. Hero worship is cult shit. Same with demonization. Both cloud one’s judgment. This thread is evidence that the left is not immune to that crap, and it’s a little depressing.

I don't know how these things work at the CDC/NIH, but at the very beginning, Nancy Messonnier was the person speaking with the press, etc but when the story broke when she warned of the seriousness of the virus, that spelled doom for her. Her entire life was picked apart, all of it. (Her brother is Rod Rosenstein if you recall) She continued with some comms until April 2020, but after that, I don't recall seeing her really.

Her background (in addition to the medical expertise) is in communication strategies promoting vaccines to prevent and deter outbreaks. So, thanks to the politics, someone who was likely a little more skilled at what we've been discussing was sidelined.

• Rage+1 1

45 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Maybe.  But a doctor became the backdrop for imaginary angst almost across the board for one party.  Messaging isn't the key to Fauci's demonization.  Any doctor at that point would've become the hood ornament of tyranny.  Medicine is now akin to Pagan ritual for a swath of these assholes.  Mitigation measures became Wiccan chant the moment Fat Donny signaled that masks are for pussies.    

10 minutes ago, Satchel said:

The messaging from the medical community has been uneven because they don’t have a lot of experience negotiating a deadly virus and its evolving variants. 

Many of his critics are from the medical community. And if you are suggesting that Dr. Fauci doesn't have the experience or qualifications to know better and do better, I disagree. 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Many of his critics are from the medical community. And if you are suggesting that Dr. Fauci doesn't have the experience or qualifications to know better and do better, I disagree. 

Most of his critics are people who insist his life long work has become political with the advent of a virus that has killed over a half million Americans. Fauci is the convenient punching bag because he’s the only punching bag toward whom COVID weary people can direct their ire. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Most of his critics are people who insist his life long work has become political with the advent of a virus that has killed over a half million Americans. Fauci is the convenient punching bag because he’s the only punching bag toward whom COVID weary people can direct their ire. 

That is very well true. But I don't think that that is what is driving posters like @BrickHorn here, and I wouldn't simply dismiss the points he has made with hand waving about "well the medical community just doesn't know how to do this".  

2 hours ago, Satchel said:

I agree with you that he has become a punching bag for morons.  I also agree with Brick that this doesn't immunize him from real criticism.  It is depressing to see so many people say "Moron says x is bad, so I must believe that x can do no wrong."  No, Moron is a Moron because Moron doesn't have the ability to deal with nuance.  People taking the other extreme make me think they also can't see nuance and therefore are a moron of a different flavor.  The people who are still willing to post in cloak room ought to be better than that. 

The one thing I thought Trump was really really good at was at eradicating morons from the Cloak Room.  Now maybe, I should've realized the jury is still out on that one.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh and just to add 2 things.

I want the same answers Gym does because I want to figure out if the trip I've been planning for 2 years is actually going to be allowed to happen at some point this year, and we aren't getting enough information to have any fucking clue about that.

Second, Gym can go fuck himself.  He's a reprehensible piece of shit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I agree with you that he has become a punching bag for morons.  I also agree with Brick that this doesn't immunize him from real criticism.  It is depressing to see so many people say "Moron says x is bad, so I must believe that x can do no wrong."  No, Moron is a Moron because Moron doesn't have the ability to deal with nuance.  People taking the other extreme make me think they also can't see nuance and therefore are a moron of a different flavor.  The people who are still willing to post in cloak room ought to be better than that. 

The one thing I thought Trump was really really good at was at eradicating morons from the Cloak Room.  Now maybe, I should've realized the jury is still out on that one.

I mean, I don't think anyone here is saying Fauci is beyond reproach.  But I also get that he's not about to play into jerkoff's fishing game and put out an exact number on the fly so it can then be used as a right wing freak out bullshit point later on.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Just replace Fauci so people can calm down, but for God's sake don't put the new person's face on a fucking candle 

Gym won’t calm down.  Replace Fauci and that will just give Gym somebody else to foam at the mouth at.   

It was never about Fauci.  It was about defending Daddy Trump and pandering to the most ignorant members of his base.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I would have used my go to tactic of throwing out a random number with enough confidence and decimal points that there could be no rebuttal. 

“Mr. Congressman, I can say with 93.61% confidence level that we will be in the clear once 87.384% of the population is fully vaccinated.  Now can you do your part to help us get to that vaccination rate or will you just continue to be a giant ass titty baby?”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

It is depressing to see so many people say "Moron says x is bad, so I must believe that x can do no wrong." 

Wait a minute, who is saying that?  Most of us are saying Fauci doesn't have the authorization to define government policy in a Congressional hearing, nothing more.  I don't think anyone thinks he has messaged everything perfectly.  He hasn't.

1 hour ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Yeah. Fauci was a half second away from saying “Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit, I’ll see myself out.”  

Fauci is too diplomatic to pull that but I wish someone would at some point on Gym. 

This is honestly what needs to happen.  This is why the Dems suck at the game.  CALL THESE DISINGENUOUS ASSHOLES ON THEIR DISINGENUOUS SHIT.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yes and that will be framed by Rs as her being uppity.  Sadly, we need an old white guy to tell them to STFU.  

Maxine can get backing from the others by them circling the wagons right then and there. It's what the Rs do, so do it too. It's not like the Republican committee members honor ceremony anymore, they attempted to stage a burst in at the HPSCI two years ago and created a security risk with their damn phones.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
two, to, too
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m tired of it. Both Jordan and Gaetz are being out of line with their abusive questioning of witnesses. They refuse to stop talking when the chairman tells them to stop. They should be asked to leave or be fined. They’re purposely trying to create chaos and obstruction. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

So the left should remove another qualified person because he cannot turn water into wine and doesn’t pass the purity test, and because he cannot predict the future and has made minor mistakes in messaging.

R’s only tolerate that type of incompetence from the GOP.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brandywine said:

I’m tired of it. Both Jordan and Gaetz are being out of line with their abusive questioning of witnesses. They refuse to stop talking when the chairman tells them to stop. They should be asked to leave or be fined. They’re purposely trying to create chaos and obstruction. 

They act out in order to get their spot on Fox. It’s worked well for them, but Gaetz  has been losing friends lately.

• Hook 'Em 1