Jim Jordan

Hank Kingsley

8 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I'm really not understanding how the wife of a United States Supreme Court Justice can get away with using the term "elite" as an other that people should be scared of, as if she doesn't belong in that group herself, at least by marriage if nothing else.

While defending someone who has been a politician since 1994.

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

While defending someone who has been a politician since 1994.

Yeah there's that too.  It's really frustrating to me how easy so many people are to manipulate.  Why don't more people see through this bullshit?  Are they not paying enough attention? Are they getting bad information?  Are they stupid?  How does this get fixed?  I wish I had at least a glimmer of an idea for an answer to that question.

4 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Yeah there's that too.  It's really frustrating to me how easy so many people are to manipulate.  Why don't more people see through this bullshit?  Are they not paying enough attention? Are they getting bad information?  Are they stupid?  How does this get fixed?  I wish I had at least a glimmer of an idea for an answer to that question.

Perhaps realgreggym can shed some light? Is gullibility an innate quality or did you develop it over time.  

11 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

1. they don't want to.

2. No, wouldn't matter if they did.

3. Yes, and they would dismiss the good info anyway.

4. Some are, but their real affliction is a outsized attachment to tribe or team.

5. Homo sapiens is replaced by a less emotionally restricted species.

Edited by softlynow

22 minutes ago, kevwun said:

One of the greatest humanitarian acts Bill Gates, Bezos or some other billionaire could do would be to buy Fox News and actually turn it in to the fair and balanced channel that it claims to be.

That would create a vacuum in the conservative news media, which would be filled by someone else.  Your plan would give us all a break but it wouldn't last long.

13 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

It wasn't charity. It was called lending a helping hand. You should try it sometimes.

Right, because if "lending a helping hand" isn't flogged monthly on a message board for self-aggrandizement, it must not be happening.   I think it was Maimonides who said that. 

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Right, because if "lending a helping hand" isn't flogged monthly on a message board for self-aggrandizement, it must not be happening.   I think it was Maimonides who said that. 

You're clueless. Everyone here is anonymous. I have no idea who anyone else is and no one knows who I am. Now go out and help someone out. 

Just now, realgreggym said:

You're clueless. Everyone here is anonymous. I have no idea who anyone else is and no one knows who I am. Now go out and help someone out. 

Yet you keep arguing that other posters don't help out people, despite knowing nothing about them.  How is that, exactly?   Ah, yes, you're the only one who boasts about your (supposed) giving every few weeks, so you're the only one who does anything. 

2 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

Yet you keep arguing that other posters don't help out people, despite knowing nothing about them.  How is that, exactly?   Ah, yes, you're the only one who boasts about your (supposed) giving every few weeks, so you're the only one who does anything. 

He’s not the only one.  JohnnySack is ALWAYS waving his own flag.  

Times have changed. There was a priest at my high school in the 1980s who was a known molester. It was practically in the student handbook -- watch out for Father Tampa (not his real name), he gon' try to suck your dick -- but people just looked the other way, because he was a priest. It is really fucking weird, looking back on it. 

Ya know, I think this is a situation where you can use his real name.

47 minutes ago, Chooky said:

The only conclusion I can draw from that Louie Gohmert letter is that Louie Gohmert watched wrestlers shower and was the only guy in line who masturbated with a cucumber in his ass. 

Gohmert likes it when Gym Jordan sticks a finger in his ass when they wrestle.

8 hours ago, kevwun said:

One of the greatest humanitarian acts Bill Gates, Bezos or some other billionaire could do would be to buy Fox News and actually turn it in to the fair and balanced channel that it claims to be.

How many networks are showing the Presidential announcement of the next Supreme Court nominee?

Another Ohio State University wrestler has accused Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) of  knowing about alleged sexual abuse by the team’s doctor and told CNN that Jordan “snickered” when the athlete told him about an incident with Dr. Richard Strauss. 

The latest wrestler to come forward, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told CNN that Jordan was a “phony” for denying that he knew about the alleged abuse when he was an assistant coach for the wrestling team.

“I remember coming up and saying, ‘Strauss held my balls longer than normal.’ He just snickered,” the wrestler said.

The former athlete said he remembered approaching Jordan and a group of wrestlers and saying “something to the effect of ‘his hands are cold as shit; he checked out every hair on my ball,’” the wrestler told CNN, adding that Jordan walked away and said, “I have nothing to do with this.”

The athlete who spoke with CNN — who also voted for Jordan when he first ran for office — is the eighth former wrestler to come forward alleging that Jordan was aware of Strauss’ abuse. Jordan has denied all the allegations and has called the scandal a conveniently timed political attack.

“He’s sitting here and directly lying,” the wrestler said, adding that he supports fellow OSU wrestler Mike DiSabato, who has been public about his assertions of abuse and Jordan’s knowledge of the incidents.

If Jim Jordan was a stand up guy, he would admit that he didn't fully realize or understand what was occurring in the 80s/90s with this doctor, and he feels regret that people were being abused under his watch. And simply apologize.    

However we've seen the playbook in what happens when you're admit regret and apologize.  See Al Franken.   Instead the best strategy is to attack and say that everyone else is at fault.

The media occupies so much real estate in the minds of conservatives that all you have to do is blame something on the media and they're blind to everything else.  It's fascinating, actually.  In one of the stories posted about a factory worker losing his job due to the tariffs, the worker himself actually mentioned the media in his quote.  I forget the details but that fact that the media was even on his mind was fascinating to me.

What he should have said:  "Yes, I had heard some of the rumors.  I didn't know all of the specifics which are coming out now.  But, I should have done something about it.  Not to excuse my lack of action, but there are a lot people who should have done something about it. When I reflect on the past, there are many things I think that have changed for the worse.  But clearly there are things that have changed for the better.  A willingness to speak up and expose abuse is something that has changed for the better, but we must continue to improve.  It wasn't just Ohio State wrestling, or Ohio State athletics which ignored a sexual predator.  We have heard this kind of story repeated time and time again, in our schools, in the business world, and even in our churches. People in authority need to speak up, regardless of how uncomfortable it is, regardless of the bad publicity it might cause the institutions we support.  I should have spoken up.  And for my failure, I apologize."

Instead he called the victims liars.   

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tuco said:

What he should have said:  "Yes, I had heard some of the rumors.  I didn't know all of the specifics which are coming out now.  But, I should have done something about it.  Not to excuse my lack of action, but there are a lot people who should have done something about it. When I reflect on the past, there are many things I think that have changed for the worse.  But clearly there are things that have changed for the better.  A willingness to speak up and expose abuse is something that has changed for the better, but we must continue to improve.  It wasn't just Ohio State wrestling, or Ohio State athletics which ignored a sexual predator.  We have heard this kind of story repeated time and time again, in our schools, in the business world, and even in our churches. People in authority need to speak up, regardless of how uncomfortable it is, regardless of the bad publicity it might cause the institutions we support.  I should have spoken up.  And for my failure, I apologize."

That's basically what Roy Moore did.

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

Calling abuse victims liars is straight out of the Republican playbook. Most of the R posters here do it too.

The damnedest thing I've seen in the Trump years is kids getting shot in a school and Christians calling them liars.

These Jordan defenders remind me of one my favorite scenes from The Larry Sanders Show. 

Hank Kingsley: Phil, could you... could you do me a favor? You know that joke I've been doing in the uh... in the warmup?

Phil: The one about Clinton inhaling?

Hank Kingsley: For some reason and maybe it's me but it's just not getting that waaah laugh it used to. Can you toss me a new line?

Phil: Ok. You could say that you live on Rockingham, just a knife's throw from O.J.'s house.

Hank Kingsley: Uh... no, I don't think I could do that one. That, that implies O.J. is guilty.

Phil: Huh huh.

Hank Kingsley: I don't think he is.

Phil: Please Hank, don't tell me you're one of those.

Hank Kingsley: Hey, I have met this man, he's always been nice to me. He is a... he's a great guest, he's a good neighbor, always kept his lawn up.

Phil: That's nice but what about all the evidence? What about the blood?

Hank Kingsley: Oh hey I'm sure if you look at all my underwear you'd find some blood there too.

Phil: They found blood on his socks!

Hank Kingsley: Yeah, well... I'm gonna go out and murder someone without my shoes on.

Phil: C'mon, c'mon. They found blood on his Bronco, they found blood in his house, they found a bloody glove on his property, how do you explain all of that?

Hank Kingsley: He's always been nice to me.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tuco said:

This is pretty certainly the right thing to do and the actual truth, but it will only hurt him so say as much.

31 minutes ago, Tuco said:

We live in a world of sound bites and absolutes.  and that isn't a sound bite.  You're innocent or guilty.   Jordan doesn't want to say he's even a tiny bit guilty because that is being guilty.

I recall a situation in a debate for the 2000 election.  The question was something about public funds paying for abortions.  Gore gave a long winded answer on how the govt shouldn't pay for them but should rare circumstances.  Bush said something like 6 words:  "The public won't pay for them."  Bush won that exchange.    Some people can't process complex issues so they only want to hear Yes or No.   

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

Wont fit in a tweet.