Week 2, 2023: Texas @ Alabama

Wulaw Horn

16 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

This weekend I have to drive my wife, daughter, and two of my wife’s best girl homies to a family wedding, mandatory attendance by me or life as I know it ends. No fucking way will I be able to preserve isolation. I’ll be like the insufferable asshole on the insurance commercial wreaking havoc at the wedding and reception trying to watch the big game. God dammit all. I hereby curse alla yinz with innumerable video reviews. 

Godspeed.  Roll Tide. Post videos.

3 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

This weekend I have to drive my wife, daughter, and two of my wife’s best girl homies to a family wedding, mandatory attendance by me or life as I know it ends. No fucking way will I be able to preserve isolation. I’ll be like the insufferable asshole on the insurance commercial wreaking havoc at the wedding and reception trying to watch the big game. God dammit all. I hereby curse alla yinz with innumerable video reviews. 

Newest apple update won’t show the pics you posted 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Fud said:

Bama boards think Arnold is the better matchup for Worthy since he's more athletic than Kool-aid. If Arnold is moved to NB because Moore is replacing Key at safety, then Arnold obviously won't be covering Worthy outside 

Hahahaha. What!?! Arnold against Worthy? Uh, yep, give me that one, please. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

I don't think we showed any 10 personnel last Saturday. Cain seemed to be the first WR off the bench. I'm sure Neyor and Cook will see snaps each week but our top 3 WR's seem to be clear. And I'm sure someone will comment and say Mitchell doesn't deserve to play if he doesn't block but are we sure a guy coming off a major knee injury or a true freshman are going to offer more in that regard? 

On 9/3/2023 at 9:13 AM, Atticus said:

Our offense will be fine, and we will have plenty of success next week on that side of the ball.  We keep Milroe in the pocket, we turn him over, we win the game.

Just gotta protect Quinn and avoid falling in love with the deep ball next week.  They've been preparing for this game for a while, and it is clearly one that everyone wants on the wall.

I think we will see a more Sark like cohesive offense Saturday. 4 WR sets w/ Whittington & Cook inside, looking for a LB matchup.

QE will be fine. The 0-fer on long throws is overblown. The deep outs were 40+ yard throws, 10 yards deep and 35 yards across the field. I would prefer a methodical chink & dink, 10 play drive down the field, throwing deep on 2nd & short. Keep the offense on the field and the defense fresh.

I agree the key is Texas OL v. Alabama DL.  Time for the tenacity we saw from watching the tape.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PTINS said:

I think we will see a more Sark like cohesive offense Saturday. 4 WR sets w/ Whittington & Cook inside, looking for a LB matchup.

I'll be shocked if we see many "4 WR sets", unless Sanders gets injured, or if Sark is really in his bag and is subbing in a WR for a RB 

They aren’t gonna take Sanders off the field much, he’s our X-factor. But they might use Cook to spell Worthy after a deep route/deep crosser/long punt return

Anyone else see Jaylon Ford lining up and rushing off the edge against Rice? I have a feeling we’re gonna confuse the hell out of Proctor in this game. 

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

What's the story on Proctor and Latham as pass blockers? They will have almost 100 pounds on our edge guys. Is the only shot someone like Ethan Burke has is to bend the edge?

There is no story on Proctor. He's played one game. The whole interested CFB world will find out whether he can pass block on Saturday. Latham gets a ton of love, but there's a reason he wasn't the choice at LT and it had nothing to do with run blocking.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Wow, which of the 4 will be toting your balls in their purse? Out of all the games this season, this one should be non-negotiable.
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

What's the story on Proctor and Latham as pass blockers? They will have almost 100 pounds on our edge guys. Is the only shot someone like Ethan Burke has is to bend the edge?

We could put all 360 lbs of Cam Williams at LT if we wanted to. Just because they're enormous doesn't mean we can't get around them. 

Just now, Fud said:

I haven't listened, but we can still very much spread them out out of 11 personnel 

He is obsessed with empty personnel. We probably see a little of it. Sanders isnt coming off the field though. Sark used to split Bijan out in these looks, this year he may swap out a RB for a WR. Last year Bijan was one of the best receivers, that isn the case at RB this year. 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

He is obsessed with empty personnel. We probably see a little of it. Sanders isnt coming off the field though. Sark used to split Bijan out in these looks, this year he may swap out a RB for a WR. Last year Bijan was one of the best receivers, that isn the case at RB this year. 

Is he specifically calling for four wide receivers, or to go empty with our normal 11 personnel grouping? Those are obviously two different things 

Empty is a formation, not a personnel grouping, and yes I'm aware of the potential "well someone like Bijan is functionally a WR" talking point 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

Is he specifically calling for four wide receivers, or to go empty with our normal 11 personnel grouping? Those are obviously two different things 

Empty is a formation, not a personnel grouping, and yes I'm aware of the potential "well someone like Bijan is functionally a WR" talking point 

Just empty look. He hasnt delved into, if he wants it 5 WRs, 4 WRs + Sanders, or 11 personnel in empty. I would guess its 4+Sanders, given the depth at WR, but that is a guess. 

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Just empty look. He hasnt delved into, if he wants it 5 WRs, 4 WRs + Sanders, or 11 personnel in empty. I would guess its 4+Sanders, given the depth at WR, but that is a guess. 

Sark will almost certainty go empty in 11, and keep the defense in nickel. Taking Sanders or a RB off would be pretty surprising

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

And I'm sure someone will comment and say Mitchell doesn't deserve to play if he doesn't block but are we sure a guy coming off a major knee injury or a true freshman are going to offer more in that regard? 

i thought it was noted that Gunnar Helm was the one who actually blew the block on that specific play?

• Rage+1 1

i thought it was noted that Gunnar Helm was the one who actually blew the block on that specific play?

He’s our least favorite of the options. I’m not sure if it was decided that it’s ok to not block what would have been the LILB. Think it was left to each person to decide for themselves.

I would prefer a methodical chink & dink, 10 play drive down the field, throwing deep on 2nd & short. Keep the offense on the field and the defense fresh.

1.) Good thing Sark doesn’t have a track record of not being able to help himself from taking deep shots, and opposing D coordinators totally don’t bait him and publicly call him out on this without consequence.

2.) The fuck did you hear chink and dink from?
I would prefer a methodical chink & dink, 10 play drive down the field, throwing deep on 2nd & short. Keep the offense on the field and the defense fresh.

1.) Good thing Sark doesn’t have a track record of not being able to help himself from taking deep shots, and opposing D coordinators totally don’t bait him and publicly call him out on this without consequence.

2.) The fuck did you hear chink and dink from?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

only have to hit 1 of them for it to be worthwhile, unfortunately Texas under Sark has very very low odds on that specific play.

they eventually will have one game where they hit like 4 50+ yard TD passes in 1 game. hopefully it's THIS game vs like @Iowa State

58 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This set is where I'm thinking Keilan.  He's got good enough hands and shiftiness to demand good coverage.

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

For those who might not understand what we mean by this, here's what: if the interior offensive line played at its Rice level for the rest of the season, Jake Majors would have played the fifth most-disruption-per-snap season in the history of the Deep Dig. Hayden Conner would have played the 4th-most, while DJ Campbell would take the crown at the very bottom of the whole, entire list.

Ok, so not the greatest game from our interior OL. Got it. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

I thought his note about Neto not looking much better pass pro wise was interesting as well. 

Things sure went quickly from "We have 8-9 guys we're gonna play" and "How do we get all of them on the field" to "Um who do we have on the roster that we can put on the field in the interior?". 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Ok, so not the greatest game from our interior OL. Got it. 

I know i should have more patience, but Connor still floundering around is killing me. I can give Campbell and Neto some slack, because they have next to 0 experience and have higher ceilings.

• Like 1

The only saving grace is that it is game 1, but Conner isn’t gonna magically become more athletic. Throwing Neto in there could create cohesion issues, especially on the road. Whichever lineup presents the most consistency overall should be played, even if the “average performance” is a bit lower.