Kenny Paxton/Dave P's Impeachment Game Day Thread

atomheartbevo

2 minutes ago, YChang said:

It's 2023, we can't use an electronic polling system? 

Have you not been paying attention to republican rhetoric on voting or something? 

There is an electronic polling system in the TX lege, but I'd presume they want to retain physical artifacts of everything for historical purposes

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

How long can we expect this to last?

It's going to move quick - basically each side has 24 hours (of actual activity within the Senate) to do their thing, with a few hours here and there for other stuff.  In theory it'll be over by the end of next week, if not a day or two sooner, depending on what they do this weekend.

I think two of them figured, "As long as we swore to God on a bible that we would at least listen and learn impartially", they may as well actually do that and pretend to give a shit about the evidence.  The ones that actually go through with the ruse are usually worse, IMHO, than the ones who are at least honest at the outset and admit they have no interest in truth-seeking or fact-finding.  At least those guys are trying to let everyone out to go get lunch and cocktail.s

The 6 that voted for Paxton’s no evidence motion should never be in any position of decision making… send them back to their districts now and just add 6 in the Paxton column for any vote … they can get some better looking fill-ins to keep those seats warm and occupied for the cameras

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, VinyVango said:

The 6 that voted for Paxton’s no evidence motion should never be in any position of decision making… send them back to their districts now and just add 6 in the Paxton column for any vote … they can get some better looking fill-ins to keep those seats warm and occupied for the cameras

Looking forward to casting a vote against Tan Parker in the next election cycle.  What a shit representative.

Edited by Esque
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don't see how you could vote that there is "no evidence." Umm, I'm sitting behind a computer just following the headlines and I've seen that there is evidence. 

21 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I don't see how you could vote that there is "no evidence." Umm, I'm sitting behind a computer just following the headlines and I've seen that there is evidence. 

You do recall the trump impeachments in which republicans voted to see no evidence, right? They fucking hate facts that disagree with their worldview

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Seems kind of ridiculous that the Austin CBS affiliate is currently showing the Price is Right.

Why?  The outcome of TPIR is less pre-ordained than this trial.

You saw the primary breakdown -- the 22-8 vote.  There will be a couple more defectors once all the evidence is heard, and Paxton gets to put on his "it's a witch hunt!" story.  Conviction needs 21 votes.  It will get at most 20.  Because this timeline.

And because the MAGA GQP platform is all and only this: "fuck you.  That's right, fuck you.  We can be as awful and criminal as we want, and you can't do a fucking thing about it.  So fuck you."

The remainder of the Republican party thinks they can take a stand.  They can't.  There is no Republican party anymore, just the MAGA GQP.  This "trial," presided over by a man who took THREE FUCKING MILLION DOLLARS from a MAGA group just before the trial, will show us that.

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Seems kind of ridiculous that the Austin CBS affiliate is currently showing the Price is Right.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Why?  The outcome of TPIR is less pre-ordained than this trial.

You saw the primary breakdown -- the 22-8 vote.  There will be a couple more defectors once all the evidence is heard, and Paxton gets to put on his "it's a witch hunt!" story.  Conviction needs 21 votes.  It will get at most 20.  Because this timeline.

And because the MAGA GQP platform is all and only this: "fuck you.  That's right, fuck you.  We can be as awful and criminal as we want, and you can't do a fucking thing about it.  So fuck you."

The remainder of the Republican party thinks they can take a stand.  They can't.  There is no Republican party anymore, just the MAGA GQP.  This "trial," presided over by a man who took THREE FUCKING MILLION DOLLARS from a MAGA group just before the trial, will show us that.

KEYE is a Sinclair station

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

Here's the vote on dismissing the article concerning firing the whistleblowers.   This one would seem extremely hard to support given that the legislature awarded them $3M, but there's the usual suspects (Parker, Perry, Kohlkorst, etc.) voting yay.  

21-9

Huffman and Springer just rousted up primary challengers in their respective districts.  Dan Patrick just stapled targets to their back.  

Bettencourt, (Angela) Paxton, King, Parker, and Campbell are also up for re-election in 2024.  While all in are in safe districts, they are voting this way to avoid a primary challenger..  Not to seek justice or even exonerate Ken.  

• Drool 1

Based on these votes, Paxton has 6 ride-or-die votes: the evidence could be video of Paxton raping and murdering a puppy, then an infant, then another puppy, and they'd vote to acquit.

He has 2-4 more that are close to ride-or-die.  And 4 more will be enough to avoid conviction.

What does this timeline tell us the most likely outcome is?  Yep.

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Based on these votes, Paxton has 6 ride-or-die votes: the evidence could be video of Paxton raping and murdering a puppy, then an infant, then another puppy, and they'd vote to acquit.

He has 2-4 more that are close to ride-or-die.  And 4 more will be enough to avoid conviction.

What does this timeline tell us the most likely outcome is?  Yep.

Guy that is actually in the know has a different opinion:

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Guy that is actually in the know has a different opinion:

I really, really, really, really hope that Braddock's prediction is correct.

But in this fucking timeline, hope is a dangerous thing, and I won't be having it.  Not any of it.

Because you realize this only goes one of two ways, right?  1) Paxton is acquitted, and MAGA GQP is emboldened and unstoppable immediately.  Or 2) Paxton is removed from office....and promptly announces his candidacy for governor, he beats the fuck out of Abbott in the primary because MAGA owns the GQP primaries, and has a cakewalk into the governor's mansion.  

• Hook 'Em 2

How does this go, interim AG colmenero stays on until Abbott calls for special election?  We can't go 3.5 years with some un-elected AG.  I understand 6 mos. or a year, but not nearly a full term.  I mean that's literally stealing an election, the same shit they can't shut the fuck up about. 

If I were running for that special election, I'd make damn sure to attach myself to Paxton in public/media/politically.  Not any of his business/financial dealings, but just enough so you look like you're the primary candidate in the field to carry his freedom torch forward.  That way, when he dies under mysterious circumstances, out of sympathy---more people will vote for you.  We may not like Paxton, but we really don't like it when our elected officials are made dead.  Kinda like the endgame plan in Manchurian Candidate.   

They can vote to ban him from running for office in Texas again.  If you are going to vote to remove the guy from AG, it would also be a good idea to go the extra step an keep him from running again.  A little bit of CYA for the senators that would be a good move for themselves and the State.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, kevwun said:

They can vote to ban him from running for office in Texas again.  If you are going to vote to remove the guy from AG, it would also be a good idea to go the extra step an keep him from running again.  A little bit of CYA for the senators that would be a good move for themselves and the State.

There's also the entire federal prosecution as well.

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

How does this go, interim AG colmenero stays on until Abbott calls for special election?  We can't go 3.5 years with some un-elected AG.  I understand 6 mos. or a year, but not nearly a full term.  I mean that's literally stealing an election, the same shit they can't shut the fuck up about. 

It's really weird for statewide offices:

Bottom line: It depends on when they leave. If it's early enough in their term, voters replace them in special elections. If it's not, appointees fill out the rest of their terms.

Texplainer: How Is a Statewide Office Vacancy Filled? | The Texas Tribune

I *think* AG would be on the November 2024 ballot to fill the rest of the term.  The interim would serve until a new one is elected.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

But in this fucking timeline, hope is a dangerous thing, and I won't be having it.  Not any of it.

Because you realize this only goes one of two ways, right?  1) Paxton is acquitted, and MAGA GQP is emboldened and unstoppable immediately.  Or 2) Paxton is removed from office....and promptly announces his candidacy for governor, he beats the fuck out of Abbott in the primary because MAGA owns the GQP primaries, and has a cakewalk into the governor's mansion.  

Counterpoint: a lot of republicans HATE Paxton. There’s blood in the water and he’s trying to swim with sharks 

• Hook 'Em 1

At least a bunch of hippies still celebrate your birthday each year in Pease Park despite this timeline.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Not really surprised that we likely won't hear Paxton testify.  I don't know the in's and out's of the impeachment proceeding, but I thought it might be enough of a quasi-criminal proceeding that he could not be compelled to the witness stand, and at the very least even if he could he would plead the Fifth most of the time citing pending criminal investigations.

• Hook 'Em 1