2023 Dallas Cowboys Season Thread

Hermanator

9 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I think 2024 may be one of those once in a blue moon type of deals for QBs. I truly do. It’s loaded. Not as many projects. Some pretty ready to play QB types. At least 5 imo. But it’s just my opinion. I wasn’t high on 2023 and at least a few of those guys are balling. Time will tell. 

I just don’t see it as a better than normal QB class. While Williams could be a generational player, Drake Maye is the only other QB that’s being mocked in the top 10. Who are your other 3+?

It's fun to bitch about the Cowboys, but anyone still getting upset when we lose is either an idiot or a masochist.

I watch the games and enjoy it when we win, but when we lose it has no emotional effect on me.

I just stopped caring once Jerruh fired Jimmy and hired Barry.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I just don’t see it as a better than normal QB class. While Williams could be a generational player, Drake Maye is the only other QB that’s being mocked in the top 10. Who are your other 3+?

I like Sanders (not sure he’ll go next year though), McCarthy from Michigan, Bo Nix, Penix, Riley Leonard and I am assuming Quinn goes and the LSU QB seems good as well. There are more but I think most of these guys will hit even if some don’t go first round. 

The cap issue on Dak is a real problem. The cap in 2024 will be around $256m for each team. Dak has a huge number. If he plays his cap cost is $59m, and if you cut him it’s $62m in dead cap, so you really have only $194m to spend on your roster. It’s disastrous to have almost 25% of your cap wrapped up in an undeperforming player or off the team. Will Jerry walk away from Dak or get him a new coach and extend him?

His contract cap hit is backloaded as the team anticipated Dak playing at an elite level and the spreading that out with a new extended contract. You can’t get rid of him very easily. All your choices suck. Pick your poison. He has zero trade value at his current numbers.

At least it’s not as bad as Denver’s situation with Wilson. If cut for 24 he counts $85m against the cap in dead money.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The cap issue on Dak is a real problem. The cap in 2024 will be around $256m for each team. Dak has a huge number. If he plays his cap cost is $59m, and if you cut him it’s $62m in dead cap, so you really have only $194m to spend on your roster. It’s disastrous to have almost 25% of your cap wrapped up in an undeperforming player or off the team. Will Jerry walk away from Dak or get him a new coach and extend him?

His contract cap hit is backloaded as the team anticipated Dak playing at an elite level and the spreading that out with a new extended contract. You can’t get rid of him very easily. All your choices suck. Pick your poison. He has zero trade value at his current numbers.

At least it’s not as bad as Denver’s situation with Wilson. If cut for 24 he counts $85m against the cap in dead money.

Doesn’t matter. Jerry is the owner and Jimmy is on tv.

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I want no part of Cousins. If you are wanting to get away from Dak, you don't take someone who is even worse in big games than Dak. Cousins couldn't even beat Dalton or Rush in back to back years. He's a loser. 

You traded for Lance. See what you have in him. Doesn't hurt at all to see. This season is already a waste. We aren't going to magically become a contender as the year goes on. 

Lance is here as a prospect, but he's not ready. Too shellshocked to get back as a starter now. It would be further disaster. They would just be continuing the job of ruining him that San Fran started before they bailed. Next offseason you get more serious about what he's showing and whether he is a candidate to start. He's still a shot in the dark, very raw, and just starting over in a new offense...or whatever this is that Dallas has.

12 hours ago, DixonHur said:

It's fun to bitch about the Cowboys, but anyone still getting upset when we lose is either an idiot or a masochist.

I watch the games and enjoy it when we win, but when we lose it has no emotional effect on me.

I don’t find myself emotionally invested anymore. I’ll always be a fan and watch most games but I don’t get riled up like I used to, there truly no point. I had a good feeling that we’d get slaughtered so last game I was especially calm. Went to bed early which was good.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I'm pretty sure I heard a few weeks back that there is 1 less disastrous out in the Dak contract.

You have to cut him before the March 7 new league year, do it as a Post June 1 designation, and it voids a significant roster bonus built into the contract and then could spread the remaining guarantees over 2 seasons which would lower the cap hit next year into the 24mm range.

I'm pretty sure I heard a few weeks back that there is 1 less disastrous out in the Dak contract.
You have to cut him before the March 7 new league year, do it as a Post June 1 designation, and it voids a significant roster bonus built into the contract and then could spread the remaining guarantees over 2 seasons which would lower the cap hit next year into the 24mm range.

This wrinkle saves $34m and it’s the only way to go if you’re moving on. I think it requires a corresponding big move in the draft like trading Parsons to move up big. Jerry still believes Dak is a HoF QB, the greatest leader he’s ever seen, and a remarkable talent. I don’t know if he changes his mind if he has 12 more games like that to finish the season. I really expect Dak to extract $1b from this team before he retires. I don’t see Jerry moving from Dak if he lives to be 155.
  • Like 1

Jerry isn't moving on from Dak. Won't happen. He'll fire McCarthy and hire whatever retread or 28 yr old whiz kid is out there and that guy will be stuck with a restructured contract on a below average QB taking up a high cap hit for years to come. 

My give a shit is at an all time low. Even lower than the Campo 5-11s. I wasn't excited at all for the game Sunday and even forgot about it until almost right before kick. I was pissed about the Cotton Bowl not this group of jagoffs

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I’d love to think they’d take advantage of this wrinkle, but they won’t. They’ll sign him to a $60MM/yr extension.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Jerry isn't moving on from Dak. Won't happen. He'll fire McCarthy and hire whatever retread or 28 yr old whiz kid is out there and that guy will be stuck with a restructured contract on a below average QB taking up a high cap hit for years to come. 

My give a shit is at an all time low. Even lower than the Campo 5-11s. I wasn't excited at all for the game Sunday and even forgot about it until almost right before kick. I was pissed about the Cotton Bowl not this group of jagoffs

I turned it off after 14-0 and I turned on the MLB Playoffs. I already knew what was coming, an ass whipping. Hell, I could see it coming after the opening drive. As I have gotten older, my give a shit attitude has dwindled. I have better stuff to do than stick around and watch a mediocre product. The Jones family has stripped away any good feelings about this franchise. Year after year, we waste draft picks too often and we wonder why we have no real depth. Our top 2 picks of this draft look like spares. Hell, has our TE even played? Our fascination with slow ass Michigan players baffles me.

Even when Dallas replaces Dak, it isn't magically getting better because there are so many more flaws on this team. Unless we stumble upon someone like Mahomes or Brady that can mask all the team's flaws, nothing is changing. I enjoy watching other team's games at this point than Cowboys. Even that blowout Pats win didn't move the needle much because Arizona already started to unmask the flaws with this team and SF only amplified them. 

I used to be locked in for Cowboys seasons. Watch the games, listen to the pre and post game shows. Consume all the local talk shows that week talking about the game and then the next week's game. Not any longer. Win or lose, I turn the tv off and move on with my day and turn the game on the next week.

• Hook 'Em 3

Jerry reiterated his unwavering belief in Dak yesterday with a blithering spewing of idiocy about that he is the guy that willl take this team to the Super Bowl. Right there is enough evidence for the kids to have him committed to an asylum and then take control of the team.

Charlotte will likely have to murder her brothers as she’ll be CEO but Stephen will have football ops. Maybe that will end the dreaded curse on this team.

Jerry will hang with Dak even if Dakota throw 500 INTs.

Jerry is still on a mental loop of “how’d ya like those three SB’s?” Never mind it’s been nearly 30 years. Who’s counting? Not him. To put it into perspective he was in his 50’s. Sigh. 

I root for the Cowboys because my dad did. I grew up with it. Saturdays belonged to the Horns and Sundays to the Cowboys. Now we are so far removed from those 3 SBs: it’s the cognitive dissonance of rooting for them while Jerry is still in charge. Won’t hire a GM. Won’t be reasoned with. Glory hole and all that. I root for them knowing they won’t win shit until a real non-Jones is the GM. Nothing has changed and even in the next draft they get the next badass at whatever position it will not matter. Jerry is the issue. Rooting for the Cowboys puts me neck deep in cognitive dissonance. Dak is just a symptom of the larger problem—Jerry. 

Hearing him talk and brag this whole season I want to put on my Cowboy boots and kick his ass over the state line and tell him to not ever come back. I don’t care how great a businessman he is. He’s a dumbass GM. That said I think the Cowboys are built to win the division until they run into the buzzsaw that is SF in the playoffs. The last two January’s in the playoffs SF wasn’t even at half speed. 

Edited by Nicole44

22 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Jerry is still on a mental loop of “how’d ya like those three SB’s?” Never mind it’s been nearly 30 years. Who’s counting? Not him. To put it into perspective he was in his 50’s. Sigh. 

I root for the Cowboys because my dad did. I grew up with it. Saturdays belonged to the Horns and Sundays to the Cowboys. Now we are so far removed from those 3 SBs: it’s the cognitive dissonance of rooting for them while Jerry is still in charge. Won’t hire a GM. Won’t be reasoned with. Glory hole and all that. I root for them knowing they won’t win shit until a real non-Jones is the GM. Nothing has changed and even in the next draft they get the next badass at whatever position it will not matter. Jerry is the issue. Rooting for the Cowboys puts me neck deep in cognitive dissonance. Dak is just a symptom of the larger problem—Jerry. 

Hearing him talk and brag this whole season I want to put on my Cowboy boots and kick his ass over the state line and tell him to not ever come back. I don’t care how great a businessman he is. He’s a dumbass GM. That said I think the Cowboys are built to win the division until they run into the buzzsaw that is SF in the playoffs. The last two January’s in the playoffs SF wasn’t even at half speed. 

I have the Eagles as far and away the best team in the division.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Jerry loves Dak because he wants a "face of the franchise" to sell merch. Thats all it is. He doesnt care about winning. He cares about winning just enough to keep people interested. Every action he takes is evidence.

Word, that's why he paid Zeke.  Zeke sold Jerseys.  Not sure why he paid Gallup though, his contract looks pretty shitty too. 

5 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Jerry reiterated his unwavering belief in Dak yesterday with a blithering spewing of idiocy about that he is the guy that willl take this team to the Super Bowl. Right there is enough evidence for the kids to have him committed to an asylum and then take control of the team.

They should have thrown him in the asylum when he drafted Quincy Fucking Carter to replace Troy Aikman.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Word, that's why he paid Zeke.  Zeke sold Jerseys.  Not sure why he paid Gallup though, his contract looks pretty shitty too. 

I think like Zeke Gallup is physically ruined. He just doesn't have any of the burst and ability to physically go up and fight for the ball that he had before the knee injury. He's no longer NFL caliber at all. Just a complete waste of a contract. 

This (according to NFL “insiders”) is supposed to be the most active trade deadline in many years. I doubt Dallas does much of anything here but it looks like Denver might be selling off some interesting pieces. If Surtain is on the block do you go for him with Diggs out? Or do nothing which is what we typically do…there are some players that might help shore up the team though. Problem is always we don’t have much other than picks and Denver’s price wil be too high 

13 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Belichick.

Mark it down. 

When my son was stationed at Barksdale AFB Quincy was playing for the arena team there. He started hanging out at a bar my son frequented and they struck up a bar friendship.

He told my son he had never touched his bonus money from baseball or the Cowboys, and lived frugally. My son said he lived in a cheap apartment close to the base. He claimed he had never smoked weed, but he’d close down the bar on nights before a game.

Quincy worshipped Parcells and loved the entire Jones family. He never talked much about Dallas but that he screwed it up. He was always trying to get my son and friends to come over for parties. They went once and the weed was barreling out of the place so they left as they woukdnt put their security clearances at risk.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

When my son was stationed at Barksdale AFB Quincy was playing for the arena team there. He started hanging out at a bar my son frequented and they struck up a bar friendship.

He told my son he had never touched his bonus money from baseball or the Cowboys, and lived frugally. My son said he lived in a cheap apartment close to the base. He claimed he had never smoked weed, but he’d close down the bar on nights before a game.

Quincy worshipped Parcells and loved the entire Jones family. He never talked much about Dallas but that he screwed it up. He was always trying to get my son and friends to come over for parties. They went once and the weed was barreling out of the place so they left as they woukdnt put their security clearances at risk.

quincy is sober now, thankfully.

On 10/9/2023 at 7:44 PM, DixonHur said:

The wins aren't really even enjoyable because we already know they will mean nothing at the season.  This team isn't better than the 49ers or the Eagles.  The difference between the 49ers and the Cowboys is light years.  They have good ownership, a great GM, and a fantastic head coach.  It's only a matter of time before they win another one.  I hate to say it, but there is absolutely nothing to be hopeful for as a Cowboys fan.  It's just such a strange juxtaposition to the first 30 years of this franchise.  I'm glad I was alive to see the real America's team and then the triplets in the 90's. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Shitty artist, shitty restaurant for a shitty team69003d5e885ad557c487201bb63b1826.jpg

Maybe it can echo Post Malone’s abuse of women by honoring some of the lady beaters and sex abusers of Cowboys history. Harvey Martin, Mike Irvin, Lance Rentzel, and others.

That founder of Canes is pretty creepy. This partnership with Post Malone seemed odd before but looks really bad in light of Malone’s recent lawsuit. The face tats alone should have been a red flag to the marketing folks.

32 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Noah Brown just had a nice reception for Houston and then Dalton Schultz caught the TD pass with a great catch. I’d love to hear their off the record comments comparing the Dallas organization and coaching staff with that of Houston with DeMeco Ryan.

Noah Brown is a force, there's no denying it.