Surly kids who can't get into UT

texasdago

On 9/28/2023 at 11:15 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Well, I have two engineering degrees and worked 20 hrs/wk on average, although most of the time it was on campus in pretty cushy jobs.  As far as my contributions, I always told them I'd pay for most of their college.  I'm not going back on my word.

Got an EE degree and worked full time as a waiter.  Was able to graduate with no debt while paying for school myself but severely sleep deprived.  I don't think that's possible now with the additional cost.

• Hook 'Em 3

Looks like UC Santa Cruz is creeping up in my daughter's rankings.  Anyone have experience with that school? 
I've been to Santa Cruz twice and I love that area, but from what I'm reading the student body is experiencing a bit of a housing crisis because there's not enough on-campus housing, and very little available off-campus housing that isn't priced beyond a student's means.
I still think she likely winds up at UDub or Oregon, but still gathering as much information I can on the other candidates.  

Good school, pretty area, hippy vibe. But Santa Cruz is a shithole of a city. Lots of homeless/hobos riding around on bicycles grimacing at you waiting to break into your car.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The boy was already accepted to Ok State.  Just got the green light from Arkansas.  Now we have options.  Now he gets to pick one.  For the record, I think that little shit's going to be a pig.  Good for him.  Fun town.  Damn nice campus tucked away in the hills.   

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

Anyone have any experience with LSU? Do they have any tuition discounts for Texas students? Thoughts on LSU as a school? My kids are years away, so m just curious.

Don't know any recent alums.  Seems a damn fun school.  For my likes, maybe a little "too" fun.  I'd have been a mess there.  I don't think they have tuition reciprocity like AR does?  

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Good for him.  Fun town.  Damn nice campus tucked away in the hills.   

Agree with this.  

Maybe we're too far removed from the old SWC rivalry, which ended shortly before my time as a Longhorn fan, but I won't have a problem if my son wants to go to Arkansas.  I'd give him up for adoption if he went to OU or aggy.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

Good school, pretty area, hippy vibe. But Santa Cruz is a shithole of a city. Lots of homeless/hobos riding around on bicycles grimacing at you waiting to break into your car.

Santa Cruz is the county seat and a lot of their free stuff gets handed out there.  It is surprisingly sketchy, to the point it can feel unsafe for women and kids in some of the areas.  It’s very different from all the other small towns along the central coast, none of which get that feeling.

Re UC schools.  If your kid isn’t getting into UT Austin they aren’t getting into UCLA or SD either.  

Edited by Hefeweizen
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

Anyone have any experience with LSU? Do they have any tuition discounts for Texas students? Thoughts on LSU as a school? My kids are years away, so m just curious.

I have several LSU grads in my family and friend group, and a young cousin that's there now. My older LSU grad relatives are all PE or civil engineers and have done pretty well for themselves in the Greater Louisiana area, including Houston O&G. Have a friend who's daughter is an LSU trained vet and says the vet school is great. My cousin that's there now is from Texas (Georgetown), but I don't know what she's paying in tuition. I'm going to see her mom tomorrow, and I can ask. (I'm curious, too)

I was accepted to LSU and they threw a lot of money at me back in the '80s. I took a campus visit with a buddy, and that may have been the first time I flirted with alcohol poisoning. We drove home Sunday in dead silence for most of the trip and both agreed we wouldn't survive one semester at LSU. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My understanding is they are pretty generous with financial aid for out of state students with decent records. I know a couple guys my age (~30) that went there for free. LSU has an enrollment problem and looks to Texas kids to fill up.

21 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

15 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I have several LSU grads in my family and friend group, and a young cousin that's there now. My older LSU grad relatives are all PE or civil engineers and have done pretty well for themselves in the Greater Louisiana area, including Houston O&G. Have a friend who's daughter is an LSU trained vet and says the vet school is great. My cousin that's there now is from Texas (Georgetown), but I don't know what she's paying in tuition. I'm going to see her mom tomorrow, and I can ask. (I'm curious, too)

I was accepted to LSU and they threw a lot of money at me back in the '80s. I took a campus visit with a buddy, and that may have been the first time I flirted with alcohol poisoning. We drove home Sunday in dead silence for most of the trip and both agreed we wouldn't survive one semester at LSU. 

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

My understanding is they are pretty generous with financial aid for out of state students with decent records. I know a couple guys my age (~30) that went there for free. LSU has an enrollment problem and looks to Texas kids to fill up.

My son and I went to Baton Rouge for the LSU/Auburn game a few years ago.  Had a great time.  An observation I remember from the trip is that the locals definitely identify first as "Cajuns" and then whatever else they happen to be, kind of how must of us are "Texans" first and then whatever else we happen to be.  Alcohol poisoning would definitely be on the table for most undergrads though.

17 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Re UC schools.  If your kid isn’t getting into UT Austin they aren’t getting into UCLA or SD either.  

Gotta be careful with these generalities.  A friend has a son who got a full ride to Georgia Tech in engineering and didn't get accepted to UT-Austin.  You just never know.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Gotta be careful with these generalities.  A friend has a son who got a full ride to Georgia Tech in engineering and didn't get accepted to UT-Austin.  You just never know.

Oh I definitely agree there are going to be exceptions.  The admittance rate at UCLA has gotten absurdly low.  Like 10 percent.  UT is still around one in three I think.

• Fuck You 1

On 10/4/2023 at 5:38 AM, South Austin said:

Looks like UC Santa Cruz is creeping up in my daughter's rankings.  Anyone have experience with that school? 

I've been to Santa Cruz twice and I love that area, but from what I'm reading the student body is experiencing a bit of a housing crisis because there's not enough on-campus housing, and very little available off-campus housing that isn't priced beyond a student's means.

I still think she likely winds up at UDub or Oregon, but still gathering as much information I can on the other candidates.  

Yes, the housing situation is insane in UCSC (and several other UCs). From what I hear from colleagues, pretty common for kids to live in nearby towns like Watsonville, which sounds like it would suck. But again, very common experience for UC students who aren’t affluent - not like most UCSD kids live in La Jolla for four years either. 

49 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Oh I definitely agree there are going to be exceptions.  The admittance rate at UCLA has gotten absurdly low.  Like 10 percent.  UT is still around one in three I think.

The joke around here is nobody actually gets into UCLA.  They hire actors for the basketball games.  

On 10/5/2023 at 12:44 PM, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

LSU is so desperate for enrollment they continued to stalk my kids a year after they matriculated, basically offering money for them to transfer. Thirsty AF.

On 10/4/2023 at 8:45 AM, SydneyCarton said:

I selfishly want my son to seriouisly consider UC San Diego. I don't even know what the specialize in, I assume some kind of marine stuff. Doesn't really matter. Just move to San Diego kid. 

Biomedical engineering.  Was hoping my daughter would get her Ph.D. there.

"Naw, you don't want to go to Washington!  The weather sucks there!  Trust me!"

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

The problem with LSU is that it’s an hour from New Orleans. I would have died young.

I once went and visited some friends at LSU while I was in college at UT.

I didn't sleep for two days, literally, and just generally partied harder than I ever had in my life up to that point. It was next level, industrial-grade, chemical abuse of bodies.

Loads of fun in doses and for those that can handle it, but to submerged in it full time seems like hell on earth. And if you are just a nerd and not interested in that sort of lifestyle, it would be annoying to be awash with LSU students who are and trying to avoid the messiness because outside of partying and football, Baton Rouge is a dangerous, crappy place.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/2/2023 at 10:56 AM, BeardIP said:

Do schools still do things like "Round Up Weekend" that UT used to do (and still might do, for all I know)? I remember being 17 years old, driving to Austin with friends and no parent supervision, and partying in West Campus and sleeping on the floor of my brothers friend at Towers to get the feel for UT. And that was a common thing as a sort of pre-rush and get a feel for the campus before orientation.

That feels like an impossible thing these days, with liabilities and underage issues and how parents are much more protective. Heck, I wouldn't let my 17 year old do that.

Same here. Sping of '88 went to Austin and stayed on the couch of a friend's sister at Orange Tree, they had a keg (s) in the courtyard all weekend and I thought i went to heaven.  Tons of coeds talking up UT , spending time with us and passing on information about classes etc... of course I thought I had a chance with several of them, haha dumb me....overall that's what sealed it for me going to UT was Roundup, non-stop weekend so fun. 

I had to go provisional to get in but that summer '88 at Dobie was the best experience.  I started summer1 before i graduated HS.  Placed out of 10 hours of Spanish and took 12 hours. Those 22 hours before fall '88 Helped me get out in 4 years and introduced me to life on my own.  Wouldn't trade that time for anything.  My oldest didnt even apply to UT and goes to Auburn and she loves it.  Auburn is a small campus, very walkable and overall a really good situation for her.

Anecdotally, my bosses son was 4.0+ at Southlake, marching band and Varsity swim and UT wouldnt accept him, ended up at OU on a partial scholarship.

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Same here. Sping of '88 went to Austin and stayed on the couch of a friend's sister at Orange Tree, they had a keg (s) in the courtyard all weekend and I thought i went to heaven.  Tons of coeds talking up UT , spending time with us and passing on information about classes etc... of course I thought I had a chance with several of them, haha dumb me....overall that's what sealed it for me going to UT was Roundup, non-stop weekend so fun. 

I had to go provisional to get in but that summer '88 at Dobie was the best experience.  I started summer1 before i graduated HS.  Placed out of 10 hours of Spanish and took 12 hours. Those 22 hours before fall '88 Helped me get out in 4 years and introduced me to life on my own.  Wouldn't trade that time for anything.  My oldest didnt even apply to UT and goes to Auburn and she loves it.  Auburn is a small campus, very walkable and overall a really good situation for her.

Anecdotally, my bosses son was 4.0+ at Southlake, marching band and Varsity swim and UT wouldnt accept him, ended up at OU on a partial scholarship.

Similar experience here.  Roundup Spring 1980 as a senior in HS sealed it for me.  I wasn’t provisional but i went to summer school before my first fall semester just to escape my small town and it was one of the best summers of my life.  One of my daughters got into UT on an appeal in 2010-not sure if they do that anymore.  Her back up was Georgia.  We didn’t even try UT with my second daughter.  

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Similar experience here.  Roundup Spring 1980 as a senior in HS sealed it for me.  I wasn’t provisional but i went to summer school before my first fall semester just to escape my small town and it was one of the best summers of my life.  One of my daughters got into UT on an appeal in 2010-not sure if they do that anymore.  Her back up was Georgia.  We didn’t even try UT with my second daughter.  

UGA is another tough school to get accepted.

I must say, having a Texas degree (we know this already) has a lot cache and meaning.  I travel the country for work, mainly TX to VA and most of the Southeast states, and a Texas degree, even if just undergrad turns some heads.  I think a lot of it is working with similar aged people who have bright kids that cant get in gives us/me/you a lot of credibility.  With that said,  one still has to prove themselves no matter the endeavor,  but having that Texas degree and life experiences Austin, I wouldn't trade it.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's great to have dreams, but people need to tap the brakes when they want to go strawman and start arguing that what it takes to be CEO is what should steer your major/decisions in life.  There are roughly ~200k CEOs in the U.S., and I bet most of them still don't make "that much".  Ain't nothing wrong settling for "middle-management" or being a lifelong individual contributor. 

Work ethic, and being able to see the big picture will carry you farther than anything else.  Plus, living within your means.  Do this, and you'll be surprised how much you'll get out of life.

• Like 2

Note to self - visiting a SEC university on a home game weekend may not be the smartest move...  Rooms are impossible to find last minute, campus is packed and with restricted access/parking and it really highlights the "social" aspects of the school rather than the academic side...  That being said, visiting The Grove on gameday is an experience on it's own and I can't see how any red-blooded, testosterone-filled boy wouldn't walk away saying this is the place for me... (Sorry, no pics - phone battery was dead...)

This is an interesting and sobering article. Long story short, really smart Cali kid who scored a 1590 on the SAT was rejected by 16 of 18 schools. He did get into Texas and Maryland. He was rejected by MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, UCSB, UC Davis, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Cornell University, University of Illinois, University of Michigan, Georgia Tech, Caltech, University of Washington and University of Wisconsin. He's Asian so that may or may not have had anything to do with his rejections (that's definitely for another thread).

College admissions has gotten absolutely fucking stupid.

Good news is that he was offered a job at Google. Looks like he turned down Texas to be employed by Google. 

https://abc7news.com/stanley-zhong-college-rejected-teen-full-time-job-google-admissions/13890332/

• Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

This is an interesting and sobering article. Long story short, really smart Cali kid who scored a 1590 on the SAT was rejected by 16 of 18 schools. He did get into Texas and Maryland. He was rejected by MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, UCSB, UC Davis, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Cornell University, University of Illinois, University of Michigan, Georgia Tech, Caltech, University of Washington and University of Wisconsin. He's Asian so that may or may not have had anything to do with his rejections (that's definitely for another thread).

Good news is that he was offered a job at Google. Looks like he turned down Texas to be employed by Google. 

https://abc7news.com/stanley-zhong-college-rejected-teen-full-time-job-google-admissions/13890332/

Stories like this may be the canary in the coal mine for modern universities.  They definitely need to adjust something, and it's likely their value proposition. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, crash_davis said:

maybe he can't write for shit on his essays. 

The sobering part is folks are still not realizing that the population size of graduating seniors in the U.S. has increased from 2.5M in the 90's, to approx 3.5M in present day.  That's about a 40% increase.  "Top Tier" colleges have obviously not expanded by that same percentage.  Folks need to recalibrate themselves on what "fair" really is.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/6/2023 at 3:43 PM, jdhorn92 said:

UGA is another tough school to get accepted.

I must say, having a Texas degree (we know this already) has a lot cache and meaning.  I travel the country for work, mainly TX to VA and most of the Southeast states, and a Texas degree, even if just undergrad turns some heads.  I think a lot of it is working with similar aged people who have bright kids that cant get in gives us/me/you a lot of credibility.  With that said,  one still has to prove themselves no matter the endeavor,  but having that Texas degree and life experiences Austin, I wouldn't trade it.

If you aren’t going to get into Texas in state, you’re probably not close to making the cut at GA out of state unless you are applying to a less sought after degree program. The numbers there are ridiculous on out of state acceptance rates. 

8 hours ago, crash_davis said:

His essays could have been terrible, other portions of his app could not have been great, etc. Some of the more selective schools have actively come out and said they aren’t necessarily focusing on the smartest at this point and are going for well rounded students that have a better chance of being involved on campus. One of the kids from our school graduated near the top of his class, made a 35, didn’t make it into UGA and a mix of other known schools. He’s also white, upper class, and wanted to go into the business school which has the highest application rate at most of those schools. There are a ton of stories out there about similar examples.

Our oldest is going to focus on trying to get into an Honors college at the back end of the Top 100 schools. She’s been invited to apply for a couple high end scholarship/honors college opportunities so she is going to go after those. After looking at the common dataset in the colleges she applied for originally, she really shot for some ultra low acceptance rate schools. She’s also applying with English as her major and excellent essays, so maybe one of them will give her a shot.

• Like 1

I went with my daughter to visit Arkansas earlier this week. Weather was absolutely perfect. Beautiful campus in a beautiful town.

If your kid gets into Arkansas, they also get into the major of their choice. And if they decide to change majors, it is apparently easy to do. How novel and refreshing.

She is looking at Supply Chain Management possibly double majored with Finance. They apparently have one of the best Supply Chain programs in the country. Makes sense given the close interaction with Walmart.

I have a son at UT and honestly think her experience at Arkansas might be better all the way around.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Public U’s aren’t growing to match the population growth, and that’s criminal 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, freyguy said:

Plus, to defend the colleges, how many applicants do you think they received that had identical statistics as him?  1,000 kids got a perfect score last year.  So how many do you think scored a 1590?  What makes this kid so special compared to the others?

And for those west coast schools that are now SAT blind, they don’t even look at SAT scores (allegedly), so his 1590 score don’t mean a shit.  If those kinds of schools are taking this “holistic” approach to admissions, who knows these days.

Edited by South Austin

13 hours ago, freyguy said:

Plus, to defend the colleges, how many applicants do you think they received that had identical statistics as him?  1,000 kids got a perfect score last year.  So how many do you think scored a 1590?  What makes this kid so special compared to the others?

I mean he did start an e-signing startup as a HS soph that was so well done Amazon reached out to hire him only to find out he was in high school. Combine that and Google actually hiring him says he's likely better off not going to college anyway, but he definitely brings something to the table.

It's colleges like Cal Poly San Luis Obispo rejecting him along with Michigan, Washington and Wisconsin that makes you go, what??  Maybe he is super smart but isn't great at playing the admissions game... and it is a game now.

4 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I mean he did start an e-signing startup as a HS soph that was so well done Amazon reached out to hire him only to find out he was in high school. Combine that and Google actually hiring him says he's likely better off not going to college anyway, but he definitely brings something to the table.

It's colleges like Cal Poly San Luis Obispo rejecting him along with Michigan, Washington and Wisconsin that makes you go, what??  Maybe he is super smart but isn't great at playing the admissions game... and it is a game now.

The bold is what stuck out to me. Isn't that a, to be fair to any alums here, a less than "great" school and not in the same designation and conversation as the Ivies and public ivies mentioned?

18 hours ago, freyguy said:

Um, if you are around the top 1,000 then shouldn't you have no issue wherever you want to go? I mean, Harvard's freshman class is roughly 2,000. 

On 10/11/2023 at 11:49 AM, crash_davis said:

I wonder if more companies might start recruiting kids right out of high school for “degreed” jobs.  Pay them 1/3 of what a degree holder makes and train them up.  

I am a very typical white collared non-professional who has done relatively well, and I have not had a single job since college that I couldn’t have learned without my degree/college education; it may have taken me a little longer to grasp some concepts but I could have done it easily.

3 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I wonder if more companies might start recruiting kids right out of high school for “degreed” jobs.  Pay them 1/3 of what a degree holder makes and train them up.  

I am a very typical white collared non-professional who has done relatively well, and I have not had a single job since college that I couldn’t have learned without my degree/college education; it may have taken me a little longer to grasp some concepts but I could have done it easily.

too immature and can’t work in a group setting 

this kid is throwing up red flags - cryer / complainer. Has no idea how to adopt, figure out things on the go. 

Edited by tx 3 putt

15 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Public U’s aren’t growing to match the population growth, and that’s criminal 

I looked at some numbers on some SEC schools. From 2016 it looks like enrollment is up roughly 10% on average. What has really changed is the apps and acceptance. Apps are up more than double, acceptance is up 50%, but first year enrollment was up 10-15%. Looks like most were enrolling half of accepted which is significantly less than past history.  Private schools I looked at were actually much closer with 10-15% growth in each category. There wasn’t the big anomaly in apps like with the publics.

Here’s a graph showing the number of US high school graduates by year.  When my first daughter graduated high school in 2010 it was near a peak but it was still better for her then then it would be now.  She easily got into Georgia and finally got into UT on an appeal.  The numbers show that it levelled off for a bit and then increased dramatically.  It’s supposed to peak in 2025 and then go down.  It that happens it could present some good opportunities for students at what I call middle tier universities.  Those schools will have to compete harder for good students.  The top schools will always get their pick of the litter.  IMG_1708.thumb.png.369fbef47238211e0b1a6a161d449324.png

I have two nephews, my sister's sons.  One did a business/German major/minor at Wisconsin.  I think he is currently selling clicks in Chicago.  The other just started a PhD track in mechanical engineering out of a BS at Georgia Tech.  That sounds strong, but his GPA was 3.2, so I'm not so sure Wisconsin should be used in the "public Ivy adjacent" discussions (regardless of how great GaTech is).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Um, if you are around the top 1,000 then shouldn't you have no issue wherever you want to go? I mean, Harvard's freshman class is roughly 2,000. 

I hear you.  But with a class of 2000, should 50% of them come from that 1000 who scored a perfect SAT?

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have two nephews, my sister's sons.  One did a business/German major/minor at Wisconsin.  I think he is currently selling clicks in Chicago.  The other just started a PhD track in mechanical engineering out of a BS at Georgia Tech.  That sounds strong, but his GPA was 3.2, so I'm not so sure Wisconsin should be used in the "public Ivy adjacent" discussions (regardless of how great GaTech is).

Ga Tech has a great engineering program 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What does selling clicks mean? Google Adword advertising impression sales?

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Ga Tech has a great engineering program 

I am long on record here as saying it's probably the best engineering program in the country.  Your point?

3 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

What does selling clicks mean? Google Adword advertising impression sales?

Digital marketing / SEO.  I don't know enough about to comment further.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I am long on record here as saying it's probably the best engineering program in the country.  Your point?

Digital marketing / SEO.  I don't know enough about to comment further.

I am happy to hear how GA Tech is better than MIT, Stanford, Caltech, Mudd, RPI, UT, Cal, and probably a few more I overlooked.  What’s your reason?