Iowa - Glorying In the Nepotism of the Ferentz Family

closetojumping

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The way Iowa’s opponents insist on handing them games has to be observed to be believed.

The late 90’s RC Slocum Aggies had exactly the same strategy.  

Really salty defense and punt punt punt and at some point the other team muffs a punt or fumbles a snap or does something to just give it away.  

Similar to a group project when half the group is carrying the whole, does Iowa defense complain about the offense? I would have expected a few "players only" meetings and other pressure mechanisms to get the message to the coaches. Based on the punt yards, it looks like special teams are lot more helpful.

It’s incredible how they can steer games into the sewage bog that they want, every single Saturday. 

Next week’s bloodletting will be extremely satisfying to me.

I know Iowa beat us, but we can at least line up against a Top 10 and give a respectable effort. They will get their anus prolapsed

2023 Iowa has to be statistically one of the weirdest things ever seen in college football.  This is so hideous and bizarre and I can't look away. 

First, let's just stand in awe of how shitty the Big 10 west is.  In the 21 games between the east and west, the east outscored the west by 221, which is more than any individual team in the west actually scored all year in Big 10 competition.  And that's with Michigan State (worst P5 offense in the country) diluting the east.  The BEST big 10 west offense was Illinois at 24 ppg.  Good defenses or bad offenses?  We would normally have our question answered in bowl season with some out of conference games, but only 3 teams are bowl eligible.

Ok, on to Iowa.  Their average score in Big 10 competition this year was 14.6-12.1.  Further, their total points scored in Big 10 competition this year would have been by far the best defensive effort (outside Iowa) in the Big 10 west.  Put another way, their offense was so terrible, its output would have been the #5 best defense in the country, just behind.... Iowa's actual defense.  And somehow they went 10-2.

All of this breaks my brain.  I don't know how to start calculating how ridiculously unlikely all this is.  Maybe someone had a season like this before the forward pass? 

image.png.a3911982ed0d4f07306b389285b4f0d6.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 11/24/2023 at 4:11 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s incredible how they can steer games into the sewage bog that they want, every single Saturday. 

I think teams that are actually good can deter this. Penn State, who I reluctantly call “good” made a mockery of their entire program and Michigan is twice that team. I assume we’re about to see a 42-3 kind of asswhipping. I’d love the upset though.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ryskey said:

2023 Iowa has to be statistically one of the weirdest things ever seen in college football.  This is so hideous and bizarre and I can't look away. 

First, let's just stand in awe of how shitty the Big 10 west is.  In the 21 games between the east and west, the east outscored the west by 221, which is more than any individual team in the west actually scored all year in Big 10 competition.  And that's with Michigan State (worst P5 offense in the country) diluting the east.  The BEST big 10 west offense was Illinois at 24 ppg.  Good defenses or bad offenses?  We would normally have our question answered in bowl season with some out of conference games, but only 3 teams are bowl eligible.

Ok, on to Iowa.  Their average score in Big 10 competition this year was 14.6-12.1.  Further, their total points scored in Big 10 competition this year would have been by far the best defensive effort (outside Iowa) in the Big 10 west.  Put another way, their offense was so terrible, its output would have been the #5 best defense in the country, just behind.... Iowa's actual defense.  And somehow they went 10-2.

All of this breaks my brain.  I don't know how to start calculating how ridiculously unlikely all this is.  Maybe someone had a season like this before the forward pass? 

The Galloping Ghost and company want their offense back where it belongs at in the Roaring 20’s. I feel that in an alternate timeline Ferentz and his failson are coaching football at Ohio State and setting every offense record in the book. Instead, in this one they are trying to make people appreciate some good old-fashioned scrums where fancy things like double reverses or throwing a screen pass is frowned upon.

Oh, there’s definitely no comparison. K-State’s offenses were intentional and hard to stop. Iowa’s offense is terrible. Deacon Hill is terrible.

Fat QBs are supposed to be powerful and accurate. Hill is just a bad QB. Not sure how they don’t have a better alternative. He’s not even a game manager. 

You guys are overthinking this.

1) The Big 10 West is the worst division in the history of college football having divisions.  Even the old Big 12 North, at it's worst, was doing things like regularly beating Big 10 teams in non conference play.  The teams Iowa plays are so fucking bad that all you have to do is not fuck up, because they're going to fuck up a bunch and literally hand you the ball in positions where your defense or special teams can score.  On top of this, Iowa frequently misses the good teams from the East.  When they do play them (Penn State this year for example) they get fist fucked.  Michigan will fist fuck them on Saturday.

2) Iowa's defense is legitimately quite good.  Not only are they almost always in the right spot, when they are gifted turnovers, they rarely drop them or fail to complete the play.  They have a system, and they execute it perfectly.

3) Anyone who has watched Iowa football on a regular basis the past 15 years can attest that they have a really amazing amount of luck.  If you watched on Black Friday, you'd see there were at least 3 occasions where Iowa ball carrier fumbled, and the ball bounced right to Iowa.  Nebraska, on multiple occasions, committed turnovers that were not forced by the Iowa defense (but capitalized on nonetheless).  There's the infamous gif of the 2 ISU punt returners running into each other to create a fumble late in a CyHawk game.  Iowa did nothing to cause that, but it happened.  And this shit happens to Iowa on a really frequent basis.  I'm a believer in making your own luck to some extent, but I can't look at the film and tell you what Iowa is doing to make QBs throw balls directly to Iowa defensive players when no WR is anywhere close, how Iowa manages to fumble in ways that bounce the ball directly to their own players thus preventing turnovers, or make opposing players just literally run into each other and or drop balls, but it happens week in and week out and has for a long time.

TLDR Iowa plays a god awful schedule, has a very good defense, (and to the first point) is a regular beneficiary of their opponents incompetence.

• Hook 'Em 1

From the link for those who don't wanna click:

Iowa compared to other teams this year

Iowa is 10-2 and is about to play for the Big 10 Championship despite averaging last place in some important offensive metrics and near last place in almost all offensive metrics.

Stat Iowa's ranking Value Notes
Yards per game 133rd 246.3 The second worst team is Kent State (1-11) with 270.4
First downs/game 133rd 13.6 The next two worse teams are Navy (a 5-6 triple option team) with 14.3 and Kent State with 15.0.
Non-penalty first downs/game 133rd 11.7 The second worst team is Kent State with 13.7.
Points per game 125th 18.0 Tied with Nebraska and better than Michigan State (thanks defense/special teams)
Completions/game 128th 11.9 Ahead of 5 teams, all three service academies and Rutgers and Nebraska)
Completion % 132nd 49.1% Above only Rutgers at 48.4%
Passing YPG 130th 123.4 Ahead of only the three service academies
Passing TDs/game 126th 0.8  
Rushing TDs/game 123rd 0.9  
Offensive penalties/game 130th 3.3 This is actually a good stat. Michigan is the best with 2.9.
Penalty yards/game 130th 28.8 Another good stat. Michigan again the best with 26.4.

Thankfully, Iowa plays Michigan this week, the #1 team in FBS in defensive PPG (10.3) and #2 in defensive YPG (246.8), almost identical to Iowa's offensive YPG. Therefore, Iowa is likely to get even worse in every single offensive metric this week, so these numbers will get even more sicko. And then there's the bowl game.

Brian Ferentz took over as OC in 2017. Things got progressively worse from 2020 on:

2017 117th 130 329.1
2018 92nd 130 375.0
2019 99th 130 366.5
2020 88th 128 368.6
2021 121st 130 303.9
2022 130th 131 251.5
2023 133rd 133 246.3

(Year/Rank/Teams/YPG)

On 11/26/2023 at 5:59 PM, ryskey said:

The fact that Nebraska's offense is only infinitesimally better is delicious.

Old Men Laughing GIF by ABC Network

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Season 2 Lol GIF by Insecure on HBO

Cracking Up Lol GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

These stupid fuckers are going to back into a win on Saturday, I guarantee it.  Michigan will just literally stand there and drop balls, watch Iowa players recover them and run into the end zone while doing absolutely nothing to stop them.  I can feel this fresh hell in my bones.

Although the Big 10 getting left out of the playoff would be fucking hilarious.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Parliament said:

If Michigan loses, they'll find a way to get Ohio State in the playoff.  Too much $$$ to keep a B1G team out.

Would all depend on SEC championship.

If Bama won, I think you'd see two SEC, Texas, and Pac 12.  Assuming Louisville takes care of business.

On 11/30/2023 at 10:49 AM, The Dog said:

From the link for those who don't wanna click:

Iowa compared to other teams this year

Iowa is 10-2 and is about to play for the Big 10 Championship despite averaging last place in some important offensive metrics and near last place in almost all offensive metrics.

Stat Iowa's ranking Value Notes
Yards per game 133rd 246.3 The second worst team is Kent State (1-11) with 270.4
First downs/game 133rd 13.6 The next two worse teams are Navy (a 5-6 triple option team) with 14.3 and Kent State with 15.0.
Non-penalty first downs/game 133rd 11.7 The second worst team is Kent State with 13.7.
Points per game 125th 18.0 Tied with Nebraska and better than Michigan State (thanks defense/special teams)
Completions/game 128th 11.9 Ahead of 5 teams, all three service academies and Rutgers and Nebraska)
Completion % 132nd 49.1% Above only Rutgers at 48.4%
Passing YPG 130th 123.4 Ahead of only the three service academies
Passing TDs/game 126th 0.8  
Rushing TDs/game 123rd 0.9  
Offensive penalties/game 130th 3.3 This is actually a good stat. Michigan is the best with 2.9.
Penalty yards/game 130th 28.8 Another good stat. Michigan again the best with 26.4.

Thankfully, Iowa plays Michigan this week, the #1 team in FBS in defensive PPG (10.3) and #2 in defensive YPG (246.8), almost identical to Iowa's offensive YPG. Therefore, Iowa is likely to get even worse in every single offensive metric this week, so these numbers will get even more sicko. And then there's the bowl game.

Brian Ferentz took over as OC in 2017. Things got progressively worse from 2020 on:

2017 117th 130 329.1
2018 92nd 130 375.0
2019 99th 130 366.5
2020 88th 128 368.6
2021 121st 130 303.9
2022 130th 131 251.5
2023 133rd 133 246.3

(Year/Rank/Teams/YPG)

I mean it is almost impossible to be a good team and be this pathetic on offense in modern college football.

Their average score of 10 conference games was 13.1-13.5, and yet they went 7-3 in those games.  

Dead last in offensive yards per game, and 2nd worst is a full 30 yards per game better.

Big 10 had the 6 of the bottom 15 offenses in the country.  

MAC had 3 of the bottom 5 and 4 of the bottom 15 offenses in the country.

Combined, the Big 10 and MAC had 2/3rds of the bottom 15 offenses in the country. What is wrong with the Midwest?  

What is happening?  Why is this is so morbidly fascinating?  I couldn't watch more than 15 minutes of Michigan-Iowa because it was like I was in a Stanley Kubrick movie.

image.png.4a055a7deb8efcd4aa60e4b663dc5b22.png

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Never understood why Iowa keeps Frentz ever year.

There is no such thing as bad press.  

Doing things in spectacular ways is in fact interested, if not oddly hilarious.  

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Iowa played 3 ranked teams this year and lost 92-0. They won 10 games.

Big 10 West.

I...I'm struggling to process this. This might be the most incredible statistic I think I've ever seen.