Outcoached

Pancho

24 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Can someone explain to me why Sark always bunches up near the goal line instead of spreading defenders out and refuses to run any motion?  You let the defense stack 11 guys in the box (hi South Austin's mom), and limit your options.  Maybe that approach works when there's an obvious athletic difference, but not so much when the talent-level is equal.  Why not at least throw a couple of receivers wide and give the defense different scenarios to think about, all while limiting the number of defenders in the middle?  And when it fails the first time, why are we trying to do the same thing a second and third time?  Fucking Sark sarked this one up.

What pisses me off is hitting a big play to the one to get them on their heels then fucking substituting giving the defense a chance to sub and catch their breath. All because you want to send in your cute goal line packages. Seems like every time a team hurrys to the line in that situation they catch the defense on their heels and punches it in. But we refuse to do that.

Also, seems like there is a reason that for the first 80 years or so that fullbacks were used in football, teams utilized a different skillset than fat defensive linemen. Too slow and it cost us just like the stupid reverse to Whittington in the 1st half cost us

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Exactly. We seem to watch ou make the big play more regularly. This rivalry means way more to them than it us does to us. I’d love to watch us come in foaming at the mouth to win every year the way ou comes in hating us. 

Even back to the stoops/Mack days.  They just seem to play faster and angrier

2 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Outside of Colorado, ou is the most improved team by far this year. A better improved in year 2 than Sark. At the end of the day, we probably have to realize Venables is simply a better coach than our guy. 

There is no god.  

bob stoops vs “just have fun” mack 2.0 i fear 

Edited by FORTY NINE TO ZERO

1 minute ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

isn’t that what we said about Ou?

People thought that the effort OU put forward on a gray Saturday morning in that ugly Cincinnati stadium in a game they took control of immediately and were never in any danger of losing was the truest measure of what they could do

4 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Outside of Colorado, ou is the most improved team by far this year. A better improved in year 2 than Sark. At the end of the day, we probably have to realize Venables is simply a better coach than our guy. 

There is no god.  

Fuck all that.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Not out coached but somehow we couldn’t spy their midget qb.   

That said someone needs to sneak into sarks office and find the page in the playbook that has ‘red zone jet sweep’ and put it in the fucking shredder.   The odds of that play working on a short field are next to zero. 

The Dline not keeping their rush lanes and we somehow having a game plan for Milroe scrambling but not for Gabriel is one of the biggest head scratchers. We have shown to do both very well this season, especially against a more athletic qb. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

What pisses me off is hitting a big play to the one to get them on their heels then fucking substituting giving the defense a chance to sub and catch their breath. All because you want to send in your cute goal line packages. Seems like every time a team hurrys to the line in that situation they catch the defense on their heels and punches it in. But we refuse to do that.

Also, seems like there is a reason that for the first 80 years or so that fullbacks were used in football, teams utilized a different skillset than fat defensive linemen. Too slow and it cost us just like the stupid reverse to Whittington in the 1st half cost us

If the Red wildcat package works when you need a yard at the 40, shouldn’t it work when you need a yard at the 1?  Assuming you don’t put all of your players inside the tackles and then run into that pile of humanity. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

There is no god.  

It’s going to hilarious watching OU play at Kansas or byu like they did against smu/Cincinnati and stumble. Ou could very well go undefeated but today they played above their usual mean. Kinda like Texas did in 2018. 

The defensive gameplan, lack of adjustments and that last series were simply WTF shambolic.  There really isn't much else to say there.

Two offensive things

1.  Where is the take take the top off the defense go route deep ball that we keep getting told is a staple of this offense?  We threw the one to Worthy (should have been PI) but otherwise don't really remember us trying it at any other point.

2.  Where is the Worthy Whip Route?  Think that might could have worked instead of asking him to bulldoze through three defenders and a facemask.  We ran it against Bama and he dropped that TD but otherwise nothing....and that my friends is X's strongest route, yet we don't seem to use it.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If the Red wildcat package works when you need a yard at the 40, shouldn’t it work when you need a yard at the 1?  Assuming you don’t put all of your players inside the tackles and then run into that pile of humanity. 

This is a great point. I’ve never seen the Red short yardage package fail. Why can’t we run it at the fucking 1 yd line

I think Sark has done an amazing job here to get the talent and team from where it was in 2021 to where they are now. His one huge flaw is down the stretch in close games he struggles. He hasn't developed that quick hit tactician decision making that can be the difference. That's where he needs to work a ton on having things prepared for every possible end of game situation he can think of. Have an idea of what needs to be done if you're facing certain situations and go from there. 

14 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

I have never seen a Texas player display less effort in the RRS than Adonai Mitchell did in this game. Blocking? Nope. Route running? Imma jog.

AD has all the talent, but none of the "want to".  He could write his own ticket to the pros, but seems lazy.  

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

The defensive gameplan, lack of adjustments and that last series were simply WTF shambolic.  There really isn't much else to say there.

Two offensive things

1.  Where is the take take the top off the defense go route deep ball that we keep getting told is a staple of this offense?  We threw the one to Worthy (should have been PI) but otherwise don't really remember us trying it at any other point.

2.  Where is the Worthy Whip Route?  Think that might could have worked instead of asking him to bulldoze through three defenders and a facemask.  We ran it against Bama and he dropped that TD but otherwise nothing....and that my friends is X's strongest route, yet we don't seem to use it.  

Hindsight and all but on 2nd or 3rd down I’m running the whip route like he did against Iowa st last year on the goal line. You could have ran trips to right with Worthy one on one to the left. They’re probably thinking Alabama goal line a la AD. Worthy runs runs the whip = profit. 

18 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

I have never seen a Texas player display less effort in the RRS than Adonai Mitchell did in this game. Blocking? Nope. Route running? Imma jog.

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

AD has all the talent, but none of the "want to".  He could write his own ticket to the pros, but seems lazy.  

This is what I'm on about. Getting abused when trying to block. Lack of effort to "win" on the slant interception. Just overall soft play.

15 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

How many wins did you think would be acceptable this season.

Whatever record it takes to play in the BigXii CG.

last year KSt won the Big Xii at 10-4 (7-2).

Playing in the Big Xii CG is my measure for 2023 success. 

What I EXPECT the record to be might well be a different number of wins than what it takes for the team to be successful.

ETA: That doesn’t mean anything in the context of losing to OU though. I’d rather we had lost to Bama by 35 and beat OU by 1.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Sentence 1 - reasonable.  Sentence 3 - one of the dumber things written even by surly standards. 

• Like 1

I’m a Texas fan.  I’m used to losing. Just not sure why we should lose to tcu.  Again.   But yes.  Let’s keep expectations low

I get that. It’s just that you were responding to a specific question about number of losses you would deem acceptable, and you replied “no reason that we shouldn’t win out”.

51 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Even back to the stoops/Mack days.  They just seem to play faster and angrier

they have better coaches.  they also have QB's that can run and save their OC's ass.  we don't.  We had a couple of those guys and we went to NC games.  Now we have a coach that doesn't want his QB to run.  This is unlikely to end well because he needs execution level to be astronomically high.  

we had them at the one and they promptly ran for 15 yards off the goal line.  of course every one of their OL held on the play but that's good coaching.  A) its unlikely to be called Rig 12 and B) even if it is it doesn't cost you anything.

thought we had a D that could control the game but PK regressed to the mean once he faced a decent QB.

This was a disaster for Sark.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I hope Sark learns from this game. Any coach that approaches RRS as "just like any game" and "let's just have fun" is doomed to fail. 

he should have known after he got his ass handed to him by Riley in the 2nd half 2 years ago.  he ain't learning shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

This is what I'm on about. Getting abused when trying to block. Lack of effort to "win" on the slant interception. Just overall soft play.

Seems like a time to bring up the fact we hired a WR coach who's supposed strength was "being the adult in the room".

You would think that would mean our guys played hard, blocked, didnt drop passes. That same coach hasn't made much impact on the recruiting trail either

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I hope Sark learns from this game. Any coach that approaches RRS as "just like any game" and "let's just have fun" is doomed to fail. 

I never cringed harder than when he stopped and said "Beautiful day for a game" all nervous sounding after the interview was already over

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

Despite me making this thread, I actually think we go undefeated the rest of the way as well. 

My concern is 1 loss will NOT get us into the CFP because of other things happening with other conferences. I’ve always felt the B12 was so shitty, we HAD to go undefeated to assure ourselves. 

The 5 times a B12 team has made the playoffs they've all had 1 loss. The only time a B12 champion has been left off was due to there not being a championship game in '14. That includes losses to 5-7 Texas, 7-5 ISU, 9-4 Texas, 8-4 KSU, and 10-3 KSU. 

If this OU team is as amazing as they're being made out to be here then 12-1 Texas gets a top 3 seed with 0 debate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

So you thought we were going undefeated this year? Careful. You have posted your yr 3 expectations elsewhere.

1 hour ago, lilMAC25 said:

What the hell are you talking about?

53 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Whatever record it takes to play in the BigXii CG.

last year KSt won the Big Xii at 10-4 (7-2).

Playing in the Big Xii CG is my measure for 2023 success. 

What I EXPECT the record to be might well be a different number of wins than what it takes for the team to be successful.

ETA: That doesn’t mean anything in the context of losing to OU though. I’d rather we had lost to Bama by 35 and beat OU by 1.

See. Now let's show you what you said after season's end last year and how you've moved the goal posts. In the first post you say just winning 9 games would be Sark has started to figure it out. Then in the second post when @Snake Diggity lays out the 2023 expectations, and then says he expects us to win 10 games next season, you say(and I quote) "You have higher expectations than I do". Now note that you yourself used the word expectations. Now fast forward to now and all the sudden your expectations are playing in the big12 CG. Complete goal post moving on your part. You started a thread saying Sark was a middling head coach. In that thread you stated you didn't expect him to have 10 wins. Now all the sudden CCG is new standard.

Screenshot(402).thumb.png.1720db292ba616e9d0cc75fd1514fef4.png

Screenshot(404).thumb.png.836c0859a71849e3c303dfdd7a206867.png

970b5197-b133-4976-88df-09b062723d84_220

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

The 5 times a B12 team has made the playoffs they've all had 1 loss. The only time a B12 champion has been left off was due to there not being a championship game in '14. That includes losses to 5-7 Texas, 7-5 ISU, 9-4 Texas, 8-4 KSU, and 10-3 KSU. 

If this OU team is as amazing as they're being made out to be here then 12-1 Texas gets a top 3 seed with 0 debate. 

Thanks for the neg, dick

6 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

you think we are saying this OU team is amazing?  This OU team is pedestrian as fuck.  we made them look amazing because our coaches are ass and we come out of tunnel like we are waiting for the beating.  Its so fucking ridiculous.  Venables made Sark his bitch.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

See. Now let's show you what you said after season's end last year and how you've moved the goal posts. In the first post you say just winning 9 games would be Sark has started to figure it out. Then in the second post when @Snake Diggity lays out the 2023 expectations, and then says he expects us to win 10 games next season, you say(and I quote) "You have higher expectations than I do". Now note that you yourself used the word expectations. Now fast forward to now and all the sudden your expectations are playing in the big12 CG. Complete goal post moving on your part. You started a thread saying Sark was a middling head coach. In that thread you stated you didn't expect him to have 10 wins. Now all the sudden CCG is new standard.

Screenshot(402).thumb.png.1720db292ba616e9d0cc75fd1514fef4.png

Screenshot(404).thumb.png.836c0859a71849e3c303dfdd7a206867.png

970b5197-b133-4976-88df-09b062723d84_220

Holy shit, that’s a stretch even for you.

KSt PLAYED IN THE 2022 BIG XII CG WITH 9 WINS ON THE SEASON.

The big Xii is so bad that another team could easily do the same this year. It should be us. At the least.

as for moving goalposts, earlier in this thread, you asked this.

IMG_3418.thumb.jpeg.97c4ae6cb3ed20649d76735651759bea.jpeg

Of course I never stated nor implied that I thought we were going undefeated this season, it’s just another windmill at which you’re tilting.

the man who killed don quixote GIF

furthermore, I CLEARLY stated that my expectations and what is necessary for success might be two different records.

Edited by lilMAC25

5 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Holy shit, that’s a stretch even from you.

KSt PLAYED IN THE 2022 BIG XII CG WITH 9 WINS ON THE SEASON.

The big Xii is so bad that another team could easily do the same this year. It should be us. At the least.

as for moving goalposts, earlier in this thread, you asked this.

IMG_3418.thumb.jpeg.97c4ae6cb3ed20649d76735651759bea.jpeg

Of course I never stated nor implied that I thought we were going undefeated this season, it’s just another windmill at which you’re tilting.

the man who killed don quixote GIF

furthermore, I CLEARLY stated that my expectations and what is necessary for success might be two different records.

You said before the season when someone said 10 wins that their expectations were higher than yours. Now you are saying 9 wins. Lol. One game difference all the sudden. We see who you are. Carry on.

• Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

He was trying to relax his team, loosen them up.  It failed horribly. 

Total head-scratcher to hear Sark talk about wanting us to avoid playing with too much emotion. I kept thinking about it especially in the first few drives where we showed a collective timidity or ambivalence or whatever it was contrasted with OU’s fiery energy.

These dudes needed to turn their nerves into anger. Let the emotion flow but channel it into a thirst for blood. They should’ve been getting stoked to rip hearts out. 

One factor in being "outcoached" is that while Texas is a more talented team they are also a younger team. Oklahoma's offense has 8 starters in at least their 4th year of college football. Texas offense has 2. Probably a factor in a lot of the mental presnap mistakes.

The fake punt in Q1 was a huge call Sark deserves credit for getting us in the football game, as well as the Red pass on 4th. He fucked up the end of the game though. I just hope he learns to finish in the red zone and at the end of games. Against Alabama we had nothing to lose and played to win. We came out scared to lose and played scared to lose

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You said before the season when someone said 10 wins that their expectations were higher than yours. Now you are saying 9 wins. Lol. One game difference all the sudden. We see who you are. Carry on.

I’m sure that seemed wittier in your head.

Unfortunately for you, 10>9.

and, for the 3rd or 4th time in this thread what I expect to occur and what is necessary to call this season a success are not necessarily the same number of wins.

Edited by lilMAC25

7 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

My favorite WTF play was in the first half when Sweat (IIRC) had his back to the lineman and was just standing there being blocked from behind. The QB then ran by him for a 10+ yard gain. No effort to pursue. Just stood there and watched the play unfold 5 feet away.

I saw that. I have no excuse but the man was being held all game and I think he had a moment where he just fucking broke. And he shouldn’t have.

8 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

One factor in being "outcoached" is that while Texas is a more talented team they are also a younger team. Oklahoma's offense has 8 starters in at least their 4th year of college football. Texas offense has 2. Probably a factor in a lot of the mental presnap mistakes.

The fake punt in Q1 was a huge call Sark deserves credit for getting us in the football game, as well as the Red pass on 4th. He fucked up the end of the game though. I just hope he learns to finish in the red zone and at the end of games. Against Alabama we had nothing to lose and played to win. We came out scared to lose and played scared to lose

The last part of your post is why I have hope. 11-1 Texas vs 12-0 OU is a match up I like more than the opposite. 

3 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Oh horseshit. Losing (ESPECIALLY TO OU, a team that most thought we would beat handily) is fucking miserable.

I believe Texas still has a chance for this to be a successful season in my opinion. All that takes (in my opinion) is playing in the BigXii CG. That’s it.

Well it wouldn't hurt for one or two more ranked games.  If we go to the CCG that will be one more ranked game.  Is there another on our schedule with a chance to be ranked by then?  WVU or BYU?  Currently we played against 3 ranked teams and beat 2 of them.  The PAC12 has 2 or 3 teams that will play 6 or 7 ranked teams.

I think we will win out and get to the CCG - and hopefully win - but the SOS may hurt us against other one-loss teams thanks to the weak-ass Big12.