Outcoached

Pancho

8 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Why is our red zone offense so bad this year?  It was OK last year, and great in 21.  

One theory I have is that Sark really seems to love setting up the run with the pass this year. I've noticed this opening up games and at times during the games.  In the red zone, when things get compressed, this is hard to do, so our run and pass game get bogged down. 

I really have no idea though.  It's mind bottling.    

He's been asked about this multiple times in PCs and he blows off the question.  I'm not sure he really has the answer.  

I'm gonna guess that having Robinson and Roschon had something to do with it.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I'm gonna guess that having Robinson and Roschon had something to do with it.

Yes, but Brooks is a very good back, even if he's not these two.  There's no personnel reason for us to have one of the worst TD conversion rates in college football.  

Or are you saying Sark needs a generational back to have a good red zone TD %?

3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Yes, but Brooks is a very good back, even if he's not these two.  There's no personnel reason for us to have one of the worst TD conversion rates in college football.  

Or are you saying Sark needs a generational back to have a good red zone TD %?

no.  apparently he needs a generational back AND high caliber tough motherfucker second with a nose for the goal line.

funny thing was as soon as Whittington didn't get across the goal line, I knew it wasn't good.  

Edited by dcar00

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I’d rather win this game, win the conference, and lose In the playoffs than lose this game, never win the conference, and never make the playoffs. 

You’re making nothing but excuses and you sound like Mack Brown. Steve Sarkisian is right there with you on mindset. Just happy to be there and hoping the kids had fun. That’s all that matters. 

The fuck you talking about? I was saying nothing was a surprise that happened on Sat. The same guys who do shit did the exact same shit they always do it just happened against OU. What the hell does that have to do with Mack Brown? I don't want us to lose, but we lost right? I am a middle-aged man. I am not about to crying in my soup over a football game. So if it bothers you that I am pretty nonchalant about it then sorry for your loss.

38 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

no.  apparently he needs a generational back AND high caliber tough motherfucker second with a nose for the goal line.

funny thing was as soon as Whittington didn't get across the goal line, I knew it wasn't good.  

Texas is lacking a power RB. That isnt a knock on Brooks. Rojo was better at 4th and 1, than Bijan. Every team needs at least one power back. Either Baxter gets healthy or Red might need a look there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Texas is lacking a power RB. That isnt a knock on Brooks. Rojo was better at 4th and 1, than Bijan. Every team needs at least one power back. Either Baxter gets healthy or Red might need a look there. 

Put Malik in there and run the tush push. That dude can just lay down and gain 5 yards.

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Why is our red zone offense so bad this year?  It was OK last year, and great in 21.  

One theory I have is that Sark really seems to love setting up the run with the pass this year. I've noticed this opening up games and at times during the games.  In the red zone, when things get compressed, this is hard to do, so our run and pass game get bogged down. 

I really have no idea though.  It's mind bottling.    

He's been asked about this multiple times in PCs and he blows off the question.  I'm not sure he really has the answer.  

I rewatched the times we got in the redzone but didn't score TDs and its maddening... here it is:

Rice had only one -
     Drop Brooks - drops easy catch and stroll into end zone - FG

Alabama Game had 2 -
     Drop Worthy - great route, ball hits him in both hands in endzone and he doesn't catch - FG
     Drop Brooks - ball hit him in both hands and drops, strolls into endzone otherwise - FG

Wyoming had only one-
     got to 19yd line for 3rd 7 - QE throws same Sanders ball over the middle that almost gets picked - FG

Baylor-
     got to 19yd line for 3rd 8 - QE throws same Sander ball (you know the one), luckily overthrew or would have been picked
     got to 2yd line for 2nd goal - Mitchell decides he doesn't block or like contact, Brooks stuffed.
         Mitchell has 2 plays on getting to 2 showing so little effort where his man tackles Brooks or Brooks would have scored of either play. Should never see field with that  effort. Baylor makes great stop on 3rd down stuffing outside run.  MISSED FG

Kansas-
     Got to 8yd line.. just bad series, couple bad throws stuffed run - FG
     Got to 12yd line... mixed run/passes, KU just stuffed everything - FG

OU - 
     QE pass to Sanders (everyone knows the one), great OU play, interception
     Got to 7... OU shut it down both run and pass - FG
     Got to 1yd line... yada yada... not rehashing - TURNOVER ON DOWNS

So 11 times

on 3 our receivers flat out dropped a TD

on 1 Mitchell decides Baylor has cooties and won't touch them or we score

on 1 we couldn't score in 4 tries from 1.5yd line

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I do get it asshole. I was there. And I just watched it again. It’s an emotional game. You get a pick early you go ape shape. You give up a TD. One team rises. The other fades. We didn’t lose on lack of emotion. We lost on lack of execution. Your first TD was on a play in which our safety and LB chased the motion. Great play call that dictated our reactions. Execution not emotion. We got a damn unsportsmanlike penalty after our TD. Probably only cause we wanted to have fun.

Point is. Your failed possessions meant your emotions/fire weren’t carrying shit. Then a shitty call gave you an emotional lift.

Just out of curiosity what sports did you play? That’s a serious question. I’m interested as to where you’re coming from.

Played ‘em all until I got to college.  Ran track division one at OU.  We were top 5ish around then.  Lifted fairly seriously after.  Can still deadlift 600 for reps at under 200 pounds (trap bar).  Also CEO for a company doing 75M annual profit that I started on my own.  On paper we are worth north of a billion. Got all the creds you want.  Happy to provide more. 

/badass.jpg

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Played ‘em all until I got to college.  Ran track division one at OU.  We were top 5ish around then.  Lifted fairly seriously after.  Can still deadlift 600 for reps at under 200 pounds (trap bar).  Also CEO for a company doing 75M annual profit that I started on my own.  On paper we are worth north of a billion. Got all the creds you want.  Happy to provide more. 

/badass.jpg

Pfft. Let’s talk when you can DL 600 reps of 200 pounds.
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I ain't watching that. Does Lehman still think Ewers is "not anything special and any QB could do what he does in this offense?"

Ewers was absolutely a star outside the start.  He should have been given a chance to win it on that 3rd down run.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

/badass.jpg

Might as well tell us your name and the name of the company you run. I am genuinely curious who you are because your bio is impressive af.

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

Might as well tell us your name and the name of the company you run. I am genuinely curious who you are because your bio is impressive af.

There’s several on here who know.  Shoot a PM.  Nothing to hide.  Nobody on here has tried to sell me stupid shit.  Lol

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I rewatched the times we got in the redzone but didn't score TDs and its maddening... here it is:

Rice had only one -
     Drop Brooks - drops easy catch and stroll into end zone - FG

Alabama Game had 2 -
     Drop Worthy - great route, ball hits him in both hands in endzone and he doesn't catch - FG
     Drop Brooks - ball hit him in both hands and drops, strolls into endzone otherwise - FG

Wyoming had only one-
     got to 19yd line for 3rd 7 - QE throws same Sanders ball over the middle that almost gets picked - FG

Baylor-
     got to 19yd line for 3rd 8 - QE throws same Sander ball (you know the one), luckily overthrew or would have been picked
     got to 2yd line for 2nd goal - Mitchell decides he doesn't block or like contact, Brooks stuffed.
         Mitchell has 2 plays on getting to 2 showing so little effort where his man tackles Brooks or Brooks would have scored of either play. Should never see field with that  effort. Baylor makes great stop on 3rd down stuffing outside run.  MISSED FG

Kansas-
     Got to 8yd line.. just bad series, couple bad throws stuffed run - FG
     Got to 12yd line... mixed run/passes, KU just stuffed everything - FG

OU - 
     QE pass to Sanders (everyone knows the one), great OU play, interception
     Got to 7... OU shut it down both run and pass - FG
     Got to 1yd line... yada yada... not rehashing - TURNOVER ON DOWNS

So 11 times

on 3 our receivers flat out dropped a TD

on 1 Mitchell decides Baylor has cooties and won't touch them or we score

on 1 we couldn't score in 4 tries from 1.5yd line

a lot of getting stuffed on runs.  there was also stuffed runs before/after the drops also IIRC.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SocaliLonghorn said:

49 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I ain't watching that. Does Lehman still think Ewers is "not anything special and any QB could do what he does in this offense?"

It's actually not a bad watch...a little slow, but they are 100% right.  

Rewatching with the breakdown was even more maddening that watching it live.  Terrible play calling and execution...especially that 2nd down play.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

It's actually a very good and detailed breakdown of that 4 play series.  They point out...it's actually Ikard...the bad coaching on two different plays.  The second and fourth IIRC.

• Fuck You 1

32 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

It's actually not a bad watch...a little slow, but they are 100% right.  

Rewatching with the breakdown was even more maddening that watching it live.  Terrible play calling and execution...especially that 2nd down play.

I would say the fourth play was the worst.  That ball wasn't a half a foot outside the goal line when his but hit the ground.

• Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, SocaliLonghorn said:

It's actually a very good and detailed breakdown of that 4 play series.  They point out...it's actually Ikard...the bad coaching on two different plays.  The second and fourth IIRC.

Okay, I listened to a few minutes of it. I don't really understand what Ikard is trying to say in regards to we threw the ball to the wrong guy. The 4th down call was fine imo. OU made a good play and stopped Worthy inches from the goal line. He's our best playmaker and Whittington is our best blocker. It happens sometimes. It isn't like Worthy isn't a physical dude who can't lower his shoulder. As Sark mentioned yesterday, that probably should have been the third down play.

Our inability to QB sneak successfully in the past is one of the main reasons we are at this point. Quinn just isn't good at it so it forces us to go to other ideas when we need 3 feet.

Edited by Hookem2147

/badass.jpg

Thanks for the response.

I’ve been here long enough to know a bit of your current status and that you’ve been here a long time. I don’t need the current, personal greatness of you. I was curious about your athletic background. Good to know you couldn’t handle the physicality of football and chose track.

I’ll stick with our loss and most of our losses are due to execution rather than emotion. And certainly Saturday was about execution. I do not disagree this means more to the Sooners although last year you quit trying to win. Emotion is important but there’s ton of shit matters more.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, SocaliLonghorn said:

I would say the fourth play was the worst.  That ball wasn't a half a foot outside the goal line when his but hit the ground.

I disagree with them on the 4th down play.  I thought the design of the play was fine, but it should have been called on 2nd or 3rd down. 

Let's not forget, the only reason Worthy didn't score was because Bowman grabbed his facemask.  Although, admittedly, there was probably no way the refs could have seen it from their angles.

6 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I disagree with them on the 4th down play.  I thought the design of the play was fine, but it should have been called on 2nd or 3rd down. 

Let's not forget, the only reason Worthy didn't score was because Bowman grabbed his facemask.  Although, admittedly, there was probably no way the refs could have seen it from their angles.

One of the worst no calls ever. So bad they should have given the TD cuz they couldn’t retroactively call the facemask 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Dark Horse said:

We have scored 11 tds on 24 attempts. 

Kansas State has 20 tds on 25 attempts. 

I don’t think it’s that misleading; other than those stats are not adjusted for competition. We have a red zone problem. 

points per drive is a more important stat in my mind.  too many FG's(9) in the red zone for sure.  to be honest I think a stat for "goal to go" would provide more context.

If Sark would just call the TD play after we cross midfield this wouldn't be an issue

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

points per drive is a more important stat in my mind.  too many FG's(9) in the red zone for sure.  to be honest I think a stat for "goal to go" would provide more context.

If Sark would just call the TD play after we cross midfield this wouldn't be an issue

https://www.bcftoys.com/2023-ppd

Our points per drive with less than 60 yards to the end zone sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

49 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

image.thumb.png.adfabeccf698021120750055f22fccea.pngimage.thumb.png.509ab65a7279500f18b97d6fcb6ecc61.png

He was looking close to something like this.

In this clip you see the ONLY way the OU player kept Worthy out as he was falling was grabbing his facemask and helmet.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Thanks for the response.

I’ve been here long enough to know a bit of your current status and that you’ve been here a long time. I don’t need the current, personal greatness of you. I was curious about your athletic background. Good to know you couldn’t handle the physicality of football and chose track.

I’ll stick with our loss and most of our losses are due to execution rather than emotion. And certainly Saturday was about execution. I do not disagree this means more to the Sooners although last year you quit trying to win. Emotion is important but there’s ton of shit matters more.

Couldn’t handle the physicality of football at OU.  No doubt. 

Prob would have been just fine under Mack though 😉

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.adfabeccf698021120750055f22fccea.pngimage.thumb.png.509ab65a7279500f18b97d6fcb6ecc61.png
He was looking close to something like this.
In this clip you see the ONLY way the OU player kept Worthy out as he was falling was grabbing his facemask and helmet.

That’s a ridiculous statement. In that clip you see that there’s not a hand on the facemask until Worthy is maybe 6” off the ground. He was going down regardless.

It was A LOT of facemask and should have been called for that reason - but it was immaterial to the outcome of the play and it is hard to have a whole lot of pity for Texas given the display of incompetence that goal like sequence was as a whole.

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

/badass.jpg

So you are a broke ass Elon, Dave Atell lookin ass boy.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Pics in secret squirrel.  Some videos I was around in too I’m sure.  Definitely no dick pics.  Sorry brotha.  Lol

I know. IIRC, I told you that you reminded me of Atell.

And no dick pics are necessary.  If I want a good laugh, I can always watch Al Bundy. 

I was just breaking balls, cause you're normally not this giddy about your school.

Edited by Brothahorn

4 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

I know. IIRC, I told you that you reminded me of Atell.

And no dick pics are necessary.  If I want a good laugh, I can always watch Al Bundy. 

I was just breaking balls, cause you're normally not this giddy about your school.

Ha, I'll come back down to earth.  I really don't care that much.  I do like seeing this rivalry and both sides fired up.  Best neutral site sporting event in the world imo.  But it sucks there needs to be a round 2, or at least a good chance. 

Also nephews live in Austin and are huge UT fans - at an age it really mattes a lot.  Most of the family is hardcore UT fans, if not Tech...I didn't send one text to them personally or on the family group text so I'm getting it in here.  Apologies. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

That’s a ridiculous statement. In that clip you see that there’s not a hand on the facemask until Worthy is maybe 6” off the ground. He was going down regardless.

It was A LOT of facemask and should have been called for that reason - but it was immaterial to the outcome of the play and it is hard to have a whole lot of pity for Texas given the display of incompetence that goal like sequence was as a whole.

Honestly, watching it live, I didn't realize how fucking close he got. I mean, really, depending on when his butt is actually touching, the ball may have crossed even with the facemask. It is close enough that even the very hint of facemask may very well prevented him from extending the millisecond earlier that would have allowed a definitive TD. 

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

Even though we lost, it’s dumb that a game 2 would be more important. Diminishes the first one a bit. That doesn’t mean I’d rather it not happen.

It's all good - when we lost I was pumped we had a chance at a rematch.  Very likely we see the same thing play out...  You guys win the more important one.  But I'd still enjoy seeing both get to the final.  If nothing else, a final fuck you to Yordork and his cronies. 

Done with my ribbing, back to being a palatable douche around these parts.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Blocked punt.  Missed fg.  Top WR lost in game.  Dropped TD end of 1h.  Top 2 OL lost in game.  Acting like OU played perfect is hilarious.  You’ll be favored in the second game too.  But you’ve won 2x in 9 tries and won 2x in a row zero times since 2009.  The truth is probably somewhere between what you see happening and what CTJ has called.  But your history isn’t on your side.  You are what your record says you are.  

Look man, I don't give a fuck what CTJ has to say, especially on his troll thread. I am a grown ass man, capable of his own rational thought. Here is what I know. OU has flat out been better than us where it counts from a roster standpoint. The three OU quarterbacks starting in the NFL should tell anyone that. All the wailing and gnashing of teeth wouldn't change that. You look at the link below and sure as shit the teams in the CFP are the same teams at the top in players sent to the league. It's a simple equation. Get good players, especially your signal caller. Win lots of games. All this hub bub about this and that is just bullshit. Now, some coaches need help from the school brand to recruit kids. Saban was like that. Couldn't win at MSU. Got to a school where recruiting was easier and now Goat status. No matter how you slice it Sark is getting talent. Saturday we rolled with a freshman and two sophomores on the line. A freshman at TE/H-back. A sophomore QB. A sophomore and freshman RB. A ton of mistakes from guys without a lot of experience, yet we were still in the fight. We are trending in the right direction. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/college/

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Blocked punt.  Missed fg.  Top WR lost in game.  Dropped TD end of 1h.  Top 2 OL lost in game.  Acting like OU played perfect is hilarious.  You’ll be favored in the second game too.  But you’ve won 2x in 9 tries and won 2x in a row zero times since 2009.  The truth is probably somewhere between what you see happening and what CTJ has called.  But your history isn’t on your side.  You are what your record says you are.  

22 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Look man, I don't give a fuck what CTJ has to say, especially on his troll thread. I am a grown ass man, capable of his own rational thought. Here is what I know. OU has flat out been better than us where it counts from a roster standpoint. The three OU quarterbacks starting in the NFL should tell anyone that. All the wailing and gnashing of teeth wouldn't change that. You look at the link below and sure as shit the teams in the CFP are the same teams at the top in players sent to the league. It's a simple equation. Get good players, especially your signal caller. Win lots of games. All this hub bub about this and that is just bullshit. Now, some coaches need help from the school brand to recruit kids. Saban was like that. Couldn't win at MSU. Got to a school where recruiting was easier and now Goat status. No matter how you slice it Sark is getting talent. Saturday we rolled with a freshman and two sophomores on the line. A freshman at TE/H-back. A sophomore QB. A sophomore and freshman RB. A ton of mistakes from guys without a lot of experience, yet we were still in the fight. We are trending in the right direction. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/college/

Also, reading that back it sounded angry. Not angry in the slightest. This is why my wife gets mad at my texts.