3rd and 9

Vic Mackey

2 minutes ago, troph said:

That’s a really interesting take BUT too close to a winning FG had we missed the 4th down imo. Ou would have pressed for the game winning FG.

you are 100% correct about Majors. 

shit this was a one play game. One play. You could pick 5-6 plays and reverse one or have a facemask properly called and it goes much different. Throw on 3rd and goal from the 1, the first INT, sack Gabriel on the last drive when two guys had him. The list goes on and on. It was a one play game.

That cuts both ways. IF we miss the FG, then OU would have had great field position to win it.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, B00M said:

Yeah I was assuming we were going for it. Couldn’t believe we kicked that and gave up control of the outcome. Props to Bert for hitting it but cmon Sark.

The servers on this site would have crashed in a nanosecond if we went for on 4th down and didn’t get it, leaving OU in great field position to drive into field goal range.

Edited by Levi
Bad explanation
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Levi said:

The servers on this site would have crashed in a nanosecond if we went for on 4th down and didn’t get it, leaving OU in great field position to win with a field goal. 

If there’s any takeaway, it’s that the surly servers are strong and resilient 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

It should be amazing, but its surly so it should simply be expected. 

Ok look I was watching the Philly-Washington game last Sunday and the Eagles had the ball with under two minutes to go in a tie game and looked set to run down the clock for a game winning Field Goal. Instead they scored a TD and all the Washington fans immediately got excited because suddenly they had a chance. And sure enough, even with a subpar QB like Sam Howell, they went down and scored and sent it to overtime. Philly won but still, that should never have happened. They shouldn't have scored a TD and instead just ran down the clock and kicked for the win.

So it that was a very likely thing to happen in the NFL with a below average QB against one of the better teams in football...you can see why I feel about this the way I do. I think you should generally expect this kind of reaction in these circumstances among most football fans.

If OU had kicked a FG to go up by 3 with 80 seconds to go, I would have been feeling pretty good about our chances of winning or tying.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Levi said:

The servers on this site would have crashed in a nanosecond if we went for on 4th down and didn’t get it, leaving OU in great field position to win with a field goal. 

The real debate is which was dumber the 3rd down call or 4th down fg. Sign me up for 3rd down. Let your 5 star QB throw the ball and win the game. That run call was some soft ass turtle shit

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, lilMAC25 said:

Is it? I thought you said if we went for it and didnt get it OU would have been in a good position to win.

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

you just said that twice? I think the initial idea of playing for the first down because OU might play for OT or at least less aggressive is interesting - HOWEVER a FG would win it for them and they would have great field position to try for a game winning FG so I’m not sure that idea holds water.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Valmy77 said:

Ok look I was watching the Philly-Washington game last Sunday and the Eagles had the ball with under two minutes to go and looked set to run down the clock for a game winning Field Goal. Instead they scored a TD and all the Washington fans immediately got excited because suddenly they had a chance. And sure enough, even with a subpar QB like Sam Howell, they went down and scored and sent it to overtime. Philly won but still, that should never have happened.

So it that was a very likely thing to happen in the NFL with a below average QB against one of the better teams in football...you can see why I feel about this the way I do. I think you should generally expect this kind of reaction in these circumstances among most football fans.

If OU had kicked a FG to go up by 3 with 80 seconds to go, I would have been feeling pretty good about our chances of winning or tying.

It’s 100% the case now in close games with these offenses that you need to be under 30 seconds or the game is NOT over.  We needed to run out the clock plain and simple. Going ahead by less than a TD with time on the clock is not the right answer anymore.  Coaches need to manage the clock down and score now not just score.

• Hook 'Em 4

Simple analogy to help with those not understanding why our ending possession was bad game management--

Remember the end of the bama game when we burned over 7 minutes of clock and took victory formation INSIDE field goal range? 

This game was tied but why wasn't the same strategy applied? Kill clock, kick game winning FG, stay undefeated. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Sark was out coached.  
PK was out coached. 

the players looked fucking scared and unprepared. The way they looked Vs Bama compared to today was night and day. They were shook and believing they were shit hot. 

we got out physicalled and out athleted 

our secondary is suspect AF and had been all year but the Dline made them look good and didn’t show todsy. 1 sack on a midget who can’t see over the line 

id kick a toddler to have that Lebby as our offense coordinator 

• Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

The real debate is which was dumber the 3rd down call or 4th down fg. Sign me up for 3rd down. Let your 5 star QB throw the ball and win the game. That run call was some soft ass turtle shit

The calls themselves were fine imo but the clock management put himself in that position to begin with. That’s where he fucked up. Ewers was dealing with or without tempo so there was no need to go up tempo when all we needed was a field goal to win it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, troph said:

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

you just said that twice? I think the initial idea of playing for the first down because OU might play for OT or at least less aggressive is interesting - HOWEVER a FG would win it for them and they would have great field position to try for a game winning FG so I’m not sure that idea holds water.

Im not as upset about us not going for it on 4th, EXCEPT for the idea that OU had their kick block team in and wasn’t anywhere near set. Even given that, I still don’t mind us not going for it there on 4th.

I have a huge issue with the tempo in that drive. Just like Tech 08, it cost us the game by having us snapping the hall with 20+ sec on the play clock multiple times.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Obviously the defense could have saved the day but there was about a 80% chance OU at least gets it in field goal range with that much time left.

We get that first down, that threat goes away.

This such a stupid fucking statement. In a universe in which there is a 80% chance that any team in the world gets a fg in 1:30 drive with no timeouts what do you think the typical score is? It's certainly a hell of a lot higher than 34-30.

1 minute ago, lilMAC25 said:

Im not as upset about us not going for it on 4th, EXCEPT for the idea that OU had their kick block team in and wasn’t anywhere near set. Even given that, I still don’t mind us not going for it there on 4th.

I have a huge issue with the tempo in that drive. Just like Tech 08, it cost us the game by having us snapping the hall with 20+ sec on the play clock multiple times.

I’m with you 100% though I didn’t mind tempo initially to get going but you’ve got to get into FG position then run out the clock. He clammed up as soon as he got into FG position. We needed one more first down and I don’t see how we miss it if he keeps calling the short pass.

1 minute ago, Serak The Preparer said:

This such a stupid fucking statement. In a universe in which there is a 80% chance that any team in the world gets a fg in 1:30 drive with no timeouts what do you think the typical score is? It's certainly a hell of a lot higher than 34-30.

I would have given us an 80% chance with 90 seconds from the 25 too.

21 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Haven't seen it mentioned but in addition to that play call, not putting the ensuing kickoff on the ground to burn more time and at the very least, make them think and/ or be uncomfortable with the situation was bad game management. 

"Oooh shit, we're up by 3 and giving it back with over a minute. Their offense is basically a 2 minute drill at all times... hmm... Welp, let's just kick it out of the end zone and concede 25% of the field. That'll show'em!"

I'm good with kicking it out if the end zone. Don't want to get Bralon Edwardsized. 

6 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

34-30 is a pretty high score.

I have no idea why the two minute drill is so unstoppable now but it just is. I mean we had 15 seconds and look what we did. If we had had 40 seconds, we might have fucking taken right back from them.

It is pretty fucking stupid, but it just seems to be how things are these days.

1 minute ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I'm good with kicking it out if the end zone. Don't want to get Bralon Edwardsized. 

So then they've got over a minute to go ~50 yards and undo what you've just done. Utilizing an offense that is a 2 minute drill at all times. 

Bold move, cotton...

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Sark was out coached.  
PK was out coached. 

the players looked fucking scared and unprepared. The way they looked Vs Bama compared to today was night and day. They were shook and believing they were shit hot. 

we got out physicalled and out athleted 

our secondary is suspect AF and had been all year but the Dline made them look good and didn’t show todsy. 1 sack on a midget who can’t see over the line 

id kick a toddler to have that Lebby as our offense coordinator 

The quick game and up tempo nullified our Dline strengths and put all the pressure on the secondary and open field tackling. We can have depth for days but if they’re running up temp successfully it doesn’t matter because we can’t rotate. And All of the sudden they start to a have a little bit of a run game. 

Gabriel had the game of his life which needed to happen in order for them to have a shot. He was making the tough intermediate throws that he struggled with before this game. That’s not going to happen if we meet again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Ewers settled down and played like a Heisman candidate after his poor start. those turnovers hurt but we settled down and overcame those. 

Such a great point Vic!

If you just take out his 2 interceptions and fumble, he’s a Heisman candidate!

Jesus titty fucking tap dancing Christ.

• Fuck You 1

I had no doubt we were going to get a 1st down on 3rd and 9 if Sark put the game in Ewers hands as he should have. The OU secondary was reeling and could no longer cover anybody. Even if they drop 8 Ewers could have likely scrambled and picked up the same amount of yards Brooks did. I understand the defense had played well in the 2nd half up to that point, but the preference should have been for OU to not touch the ball again.

19 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

Such a great point Vic!

If you just take out his 2 interceptions and fumble, he’s a Heisman candidate!

Jesus titty fucking tap dancing Christ.

Way to miss the point. He had recently been playing well, not that he literally is a Heisman candidate.

Don't be obtuse.

• Hook 'Em 1

What about 2nd and 3rd and goal from the 1?

There was also a really poor play call in the first half on 2nd and goal from the 5 where we ran a short side jet sweep to J-Whitt and it lost 3 yards.

Our red zone play calls have been underwhelming all year long.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

You’re right, that’s my fault. He didn’t mean what he actually wrote.

31-37 over 300 yards and one turnover at the beginning that cost us. Any play could have made the difference, QE brought us back to take the lead. He played more than good enough to win.

15 minutes ago, RichUT said:

There was also a really poor play call in the first half on 2nd and goal from the 5 where we ran a short side jet sweep to J-Whitt and it lost 3 yards.

Be careful the silent negs will be here shortly. 

1 hour ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I had no doubt we were going to get a 1st down on 3rd and 9 if Sark put the game in Ewers hands as he should have. The OU secondary was reeling and could no longer cover anybody. Even if they drop 8 Ewers could have likely scrambled and picked up the same amount of yards Brooks did. I understand the defense had played well in the 2nd half up to that point, but the preference should have been for OU to not touch the ball again.

100% BUT we had to get 4-5 to have a solid FG so I can’t fault the run play. We needed the first down though and that probably is the 1st and 2nd down plays and of course OL play without Majors. 

2 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

People gonna hate on Sark and it wasn't the best call although we DID score and take the lead.  Can't say for certain what woulda/coulda/shoulda happened otherwise.

Other choke moments in the game:

* JT Sanders having the ball in his hands and not being able to come down with the TD in the first half

* Dropped INT in the endzone

* Ewers 1st INT which was braindead

* Ewers fumble/not sliding

* Entire D-line not being able to get pressure after all we heard was how we outclassed them at the line of scrimmage on D-line

* 1st and goal from the 1 yard line turning it over on downs after we heard how we outclassed them at the line of scrimmage on O-line

* Multiple lack of focus pre-snap (e.g. not biased/opinion-based/Rig XII) penalties

* Lack of PK adjustments to DGs scramble.

We played timid and scared.  We looked shocked at the physicality of OU.  Our vaunted line of scrimmage play was ass.  JT's injury hurt, and i'm sure Major's did as well.  Credit to the OU fuckfaces for executing, we didn't.  If we don't shoot ourselves in the foot with the stuff above we could have won by 10-14.  But we did, they didn't and we lost.  Now we need to win out and hope to see OU again in Dallas for the BigXII championship and just play better.

So, we played TX/OU football? Thanks. Yep. That’s what we FUCKING DID AGAIN!

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

The third down call wasn't bad. Not going for it on 4th was. 

Especially when they had faked them out and they had their FG block unit on the field scrambling to match up in a defense. Sark had them all out of sorts with no real defense called and the wrong personnel on the field and they didn't run a play. 

I didn't get that. Immediately when I saw what happened I assumed he did it intentionally and had just pantsed Venebles to potentially win the game. When they didn't snap it I was like WTF?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

Helm ran right by the unblocked guy that made the tackle. Don’t know if he missed or was coached to ignore DE who gets left unblocked on the play, but they guy stayed home and played the sweep. 

Same bullshit for most of the last 30 years. The D line played weak and without effort. O line let OU rub their nuts across them. So many dumb play calls. This game was really Texas getting drunk and having fun thinking they are all that and then reality shows up.

We are who we thought we were 

More wandering until the stars align

• Hook 'Em 1

It was absolutely the wrong call on 3rd down. So we made it a 47 yard FG instead of a 52 harder? That doesn’t really make a difference these days. Field goals are not missed short from 50. 

Then it was the wrong call to not go for it on 4th. Ask yourself this - would you have taken a single snap where we have to gain 4 yards to win the game before kickoff? I certainly would have. Going ahead by a field goal is not some great victory.

And that brings me to the last thing. It is ESPECIALLY the wrong decision to follow up this sequence by playing prevent defense. What was the goal here? To give up 10-15 yards a snap and hope they miss a field goal or take a sack at the end of the game?

When you look at the entire sequence, it almost seems like we were playing for overtime.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

It wasn’t all roses that drive. They had already sacked us once that set of downs. Another sack and we’re punting or going for it on fourth and long. 

I don’t mind the call. Brooks very well could have broken that for a first down, especially if they were looking pass. 

I would have gone for it on fourth, though. Especially with how disorganized they were. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I thought Sark ran the ball on 3rd with the intention of going for it on 4th down. I thought that was smart, because it forced OU to call a timeout. Then Sark brought out the FG team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

How can you lay this at the feet of the offense? How about get one fucking stop when they have no time outs and 75 yards to go?! Just shit defense all day
I mean the offense set the tone with 3 turnovers. One to start the same to give OU 7 points right away.

But I'm not even blaming the offense. I'm blaming the play calling.