2023 NLDS Phillies vs Braves

WBT

3 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

regular season means nothing anymore with Rays, Orioles, Dodgers, Braves all out - 4 best records. 

84, 90, 90, 90 remain.   Playoff expansion has killed the 162. 

Umm last year the two best records in the AL advanced.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Making the DS 7 games seems like an easy thing to try. They ain’t gonna eliminate wild cards.

They should do this, but shorten the regular season to 154.

fight me.

or keep it like it is and expands DS to 7 games but require every Northern team to have a roof. I’m sure Philly on Nov 3 and/or 4th is going to be pleasant if they make the WS and it goes 6 or 7.

20 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

and 2022 NL champion Philly at the #6 seed with 87 wins.  It's so diluted.  Suppose 84 win Arizona wins the WS, is that good for baseball?

Playoffs matter.

Not so fucking enamored with the "value of the regular season."  Injuries happen.  Fucked up lineup tinkering happens.  Teams know what's at stake.  You ain't getting a ring for winning 100 games.  College football gets it wrong too.

Regular season is for seeding. Then the real games start.  .It's basically pool play like in the Olympics, only to be followed by medal rounds. The Dodger disappearing act isn't new, nor is the Braves.  The regular season is great for watching baseball-  I watch at least 120 games per season.  None of that matters in October.

Edited by slorch

1 minute ago, slorch said:

Playoffs matter.

Not so fucking enamored with the "value of the regular season."  Injuries happen.  Fucked up lineup tinkering happens.  Teams know what's at stake.  You ain't getting a ring for winning 100 games.  College football gets it wrong too.

Regular season is for seeding.  Then the real games start.  The Dodger disappearing act isn't new, nor is the Braves.  The regular season is great for watching baseball-  I watch at least 120 games per season.  None of that matters in October.

problem is the randomness of baseball, which isn't the same for basketball/football. Any team, even the A's or Royals, can beat a very good team like Houston in a 3 game series, or even 5.  Just get hot at the right time.  Key injuries don't affect baseball as much as the other 2 sports. 

4 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

problem is the randomness of baseball, which isn't the same for basketball/football. Any team, even the A's or Royals, can beat a very good team like Houston in a 3 game series, or even 5.  Just get hot at the right time.  Key injuries don't affect baseball as much as the other 2 sports. 

Like mentioned above, I'd support a move to 7 games for the DS.  Other than that, I'm not sure what the reasonable solution might be that you're looking for.  The best record in the regular season gets home field advantage.  That's about all they deserve.

As a fan, I love the NL matchup with the upstart Diamondbacks and the Phillies on their redemption tour.  The AL matchup is gonna be a slugfest, as in, a heavyweight matchup.  Both LCS are interesting to say the least.

Edited by slorch

There's a whole lot of things gotta happen just right to win a baseball game.  Luck, timing, angles of bat swings, pitching (choice, speed, and selection) outfielder's not running into each or worse.  And let's not forget Blue getting the way with bad calls or physically.   Baseball is a great sport.  It's my favorite.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, slorch said:

Like mentioned above, I'd support a move to 7 games for the DS.  Other than that, I'm not sure what the reasonable solution might be that you're looking for.  The best record in the regular season gets home field advantage.  That's about all they deserve.

As a fan, I love the NL matchup with the upstart Diamondbacks and the Phillies on their redemption tour.  The AL matchup is gonna be a slugfest, as in, a heavyweight matchup.  Both LCS are interesting to say the least.

yes DS to be 7, and I'd only have 1 WC team.  Of course playoff contraction will never happen and may expand in the future.  If Houston doesn't win it, I'm rooting for Arizona just to spite the system. 

7 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

regular season means nothing anymore with Rays, Orioles, Dodgers, Braves all out - 4 best records. 

84, 90, 90, 90 remain.   Playoff expansion has killed the 162. 

There is an argument this is a good result for the league and its owners. The randomness disincentivizes the spending needed to take a team from 90 wins to 100+ wins. Only one of baseball’s top 8 payrolls are in the LCS 

2 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

and 2022 NL champion Philly at the #6 seed with 87 wins.  It's so diluted.  Suppose 84 win Arizona wins the WS, is that good for baseball?

It is neither good nor bad for baseball.

If the Diamondbacks win 13 games this postseason they deserve to be the champions.

In 1995 the Houston Rockets won the NBA finals as the 6 seed despite having a record of 47-35. They beat two 60+ win teams along the way becoming the only team in history to do so. Was that bad for the NBA?

• Hook 'Em 1

I think I posted last fall, go watch the Premier League if you want to see regular season excellence rewarded. And I love the Premier League, it keeps fans' interest all the way to the wire even if the title is decided a little early.

We can't just extend series until Ronald Acuna starts hitting again or Clayton Kershaw gets enough chances to get people out on October. Or try to "fix" it by having them play in climate-controlled shopping malls. The Braves led for 2 of 36 innings in that series...what more do you need to see?

We're only two years into this format anyway. Teams with the off week will learn to cope.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

28 years ago, impressive data point. 

Please don’t reply, we already know how fucking stupid that analogy is. 

I bet you are still pissed off about the 2014 Giants who were the road wild card team only won 88 games and won the world series.

Sorry your team sucked ass maybe have them play better next time.

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

We now have habitual drunk Pimphand posting about the ‘95 Rockets & the ‘14 Giants on the ‘23 NLDS thread. 

This fucking drunk can’t see straight. 

You scrubs are talking crying about the broken playoff system woe is me. Go have your pity party I will leave your loser ass to it.

9 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Making the DS 7 games seems like an easy thing to try. They ain’t gonna eliminate wild cards.

Two things probably need to happen.

Top seed needs to play the lowest seeded winner of the wildcard round. 

Then make the division round 7 like you said.  Actually, do something fun like making it a best of 7 while spotting 1 game to the 1st and 2nd seed. So it would achieves a schedule closer to a 5 games series. 

First 2 games higher seed home team

next 3 games lower seed

Final game home for the higher seed

Edited by Dnaguy

A five game series is enough (not to mention that none of these series went five games).  You force four different starting pitchers for each team (as long as they go on normal rest) which is a fair test of depth.  You are spotted two opportunities for the “randomness” of baseball to bite you in the ass, but you better assert your supposed superiority in those other three games.  

Win the games in front of you.  Astros and Phillies have figured the new format out just fine.