Israel-Hamas war thread

Brisketexan

4 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Maybe because he didn’t want to risk the lives of American soldiers in Gaza or violate the confidentiality protocols he was required to adhere with. If anything, the fact that he didn’t should be a credit to his character.

Or maybe he was lying.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Bushnell’s story is a tragedy, he grew up in a literal cult and then got his brain cooked by communists and leftist kooks. It’s really gross to give it air and especially to take any of the things he said seriously. 

Why are so many ready to tag Bushnell with the “kook” or “mentally disturbed” tag when the impression he gave with his statements on camera, immediately before dousing himself with lighter fluid, is that of a man of conscience fully in charge of his mental faculties. I don’t remember people discrediting Bouazizi or the Buddhist monk in this way. They’re universally respected and remembered as martyrs.

Edited by Macklemore

12 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Why are so many ready to tag Bushnell with the “kook” or “mentally disturbed” tag when the impression he gave with his statements on camera, immediately before dousing himself with lighter fluid, is that of a man of conscience fully in charge of his mental faculties. I don’t remember people discrediting Bouazizi or the Buddhist monk in this way. They’re universally respected and remembered as martyrs.

Because we’ve read his social media posts.  He was a radicalized nut bag.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Run a thought experiment where anyone tells a mental health professional, “I’m planning to light myself on fire in an act of extreme protest for [cause]” and game out the response. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Maybe because he didn’t want to risk the lives of American soldiers in Gaza or violate the confidentiality protocols he was required to adhere with.

"violate the confidentiality protocols he was required to adhere with" before he killed himself? Makes sense.

6 hours ago, Macklemore said:

If anything, the fact that he didn’t should be a credit to his character.

"character"

This is the same line of logic that says suicide bombers are "brave".

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

What kind of fucking monster posts something like this? The dude died, no matter what you or I think about his motivations or mental state, he was a US service member and didn't hurt anyone but himself. Good thing your username change can't hide what a piece of shit you are.

A fucking evangelical deacon is the kind of monster who posts something like that. This is entirely within his character as a human and follower of christ. He's gleeful. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

Because we’ve read his social media posts.  He was a radicalized nut bag.  

This dude making this post is absolutely hysterical, seeing as he literally hopped forum accounts because his previous account is so full of vile, racist shitposting that he needed a fresh start, but even that didn't work because he literally cannot help himself.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Maybe because he didn’t want to risk the lives of American soldiers in Gaza or violate the confidentiality protocols he was required to adhere with. If anything, the fact that he didn’t should be a credit to his character.

I imagine revealing the existence of such information is already a pretty big breach of any confidentiality protocols he was subject to.  

13 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Run a thought experiment where anyone tells a mental health professional, “I’m planning to light myself on fire in an act of extreme protest for [cause]” and game out the response. 

We need to send all of our State Department spokespersons through an in depth mental health examination prior to putting them up on the podium. Miller has been absolutely clowning himself lately, and laying bare exactly how shallow American policy is. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

We need to send all of our State Department spokespersons through an in depth mental health examination prior to putting them up on the podium. Miller has been absolutely clowning himself lately, and laying bare exactly how shallow American policy is. 

Go Ahead Yes GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Oh, and in terms of thought experiements regarding self-immolation, a little blast from the past.  

One of the things I like about being normal is not feeling compelled to always agree with people I otherwise like or respect.  

To be clear on the side you come down on— you think that when young people get so angry about [thing] that they want to kill themselves, they don’t really need talk to a mental health professional? That doing it is important and meaningful? 

I am actually fine with universalizing the opposite. 

• Hook 'Em 2

First US air drop took place. Still discussions about a maritime option. I like that one. Establish beach heads, use landing craft to deliver and set up Aid points. Use North African or Turkish troops to guard the perimeters. Coordinate delivery runs into the areas still populated on a scheduled basis. Tell Israel and Hamas they shoot at these convoys, well there are eyes in the sky to defend them.

The US has carried out its first airdrop of humanitarian aid for Gaza, with more than 30,000 meals parachuted in by three military planes.

The operation, carried out jointly with Jordan's air force, was the first of many announced by President Joe Biden.

He promised to step up aid after at least 112 people were killed as crowds rushed a convoy on Thursday.

The airdrop comes as a top US official said the framework of a deal for a six-week ceasefire in Gaza was in place.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68457937

Second point is traction is made on a 6 week ceasefire.

RAFAH, Gaza Strip (AP) — Israel has essentially endorsed a framework of a proposed Gaza cease-fire and hostage release deal, and it is now up to Hamas to agree to it, a senior U.S. administration official said Saturday, a day before talks to reach an agreement were to resume in Egypt.

International mediators have been working for weeks to broker a deal to pause the fighting before the Muslim holy month of Ramadan begins around March 10. A deal likely would allow aid to reach hundreds of thousands of desperate Palestinians in northern Gaza who aid officials worry are under threat of famine.

The Israelis “have more or less accepted” the proposal, which includes the six-week cease-fire as well as the release by Hamas of hostages considered vulnerable, which includes the sick, the wounded, the elderly and women, said the official.

https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas-war-news-03-02-2024-531593c27931a2764357b6f7b11ce394

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

No hostage names provided so no delegation from Israel to the cease fire talks.

CAIRO/RAFAH, Gaza Strip, March 3 (Reuters) - Israel boycotted Gaza ceasefire talks in Cairo on Sunday after Hamas rejected its demand for a complete list naming hostages that are still alive, an Israeli newspaper reported.
A Hamas delegation arrived in Cairo for the talks, billed as a possible final hurdle before an agreement that would halt the fighting for six weeks. But by the evening there was no sign of the Israelis.
"There is no Israeli delegation in Cairo," Ynet, the online version of Israel's Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper, quoted unidentified Israeli officials as saying. "Hamas refuses to provide clear answers and therefore there is no reason to dispatch the Israeli delegation."
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

No hostage names provided so no delegation from Israel to the cease fire talks.

CAIRO/RAFAH, Gaza Strip, March 3 (Reuters) - Israel boycotted Gaza ceasefire talks in Cairo on Sunday after Hamas rejected its demand for a complete list naming hostages that are still alive, an Israeli newspaper reported.
A Hamas delegation arrived in Cairo for the talks, billed as a possible final hurdle before an agreement that would halt the fighting for six weeks. But by the evening there was no sign of the Israelis.
"There is no Israeli delegation in Cairo," Ynet, the online version of Israel's Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper, quoted unidentified Israeli officials as saying. "Hamas refuses to provide clear answers and therefore there is no reason to dispatch the Israeli delegation."

Does anyone seriously think there are anymore hostages still alive? If not, Hamas only has that slim hope/doubt to leverage. They will never admit that and Israel gains nothing from these talks unless Hamas is willing to hand over its leaders (which it has stated it will not do). Another shitty no win situation for either side, meanwhile millions in Gaza continue to suffer and die.

Posted (edited)

Expanding operations ahead of Ramadan it appears. One Palestinian dead.

Israel carries out biggest Ramallah raid in years

RAMALLAH, West Bank, March 4 (Reuters) - Israeli forces raided the Palestinian administrative capital of Ramallah in the occupied West Bank overnight, killing a 16-year-old in a refugee camp during their biggest such operation into the city in years, Palestinian sources said on Monday.
The Israeli military said that during the action, a riot broke out between Palestinians throwing rocks and petrol bombs and the soldiers, who responded with live fire.

Edited by InkaUtexas

On 3/1/2024 at 12:20 PM, Macklemore said:

Despite the glib assertions by many that Bushnell’s self-immolation was in vain, his act has had deep resonance around the world as today at Friday prayers in the Arab world. Just like Mohamed Bouazizi, the Tunisian street vendor who started the Arab spring, Bushnell has started something big.

He's started nothing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/1/2024 at 5:54 PM, Macklemore said:

Why are so many ready to tag Bushnell with the “kook” or “mentally disturbed” tag

Because as a non-Buddhist westerner, he set himself on fire. Is this real life?  He won’t be seen as a martyr or hero. He won’t be forgotten but will be a footnote forewarning of mental illness. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I like this plan.  But, It should be done faster, and who is going to guard it?

US to set up temporary port on Gaza coast for aid delivery

The temporary port will increase the amount of humanitarian assistance to Palestinians by "hundreds of additional truckloads" per day, officials say.

However it will not include US troops on the ground in Gaza, they said.

The UN warns that a quarter of the population is on the brink of famine.

The port will take "a number of weeks" to set up, the officials said, and will be able to receive large ships carrying food, water medicine, and temporary shelters. Initial shipments will arrive via Cyprus, where Israeli security inspections will take place.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68506356

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I like this plan.  But, It should be done faster, and who is going to guard it?

US to set up temporary port on Gaza coast for aid delivery

The temporary port will increase the amount of humanitarian assistance to Palestinians by "hundreds of additional truckloads" per day, officials say.

However it will not include US troops on the ground in Gaza, they said.

The UN warns that a quarter of the population is on the brink of famine.

The port will take "a number of weeks" to set up, the officials said, and will be able to receive large ships carrying food, water medicine, and temporary shelters. Initial shipments will arrive via Cyprus, where Israeli security inspections will take place.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68506356

Don't we have amphibious ships (landing ships etc.) that could deliver smaller loads directly to the beach?  I guess the security issues are too much for that, though: crowds would rush them, occupants might be attacked, and we sure don't want American forces firing at a crowd to get away.

Just frustrating all the way around.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Don't we have amphibious ships (landing ships etc.) that could deliver smaller loads directly to the beach?  I guess the security issues are too much for that, though: crowds would rush them, occupants might be attacked, and we sure don't want American forces firing at a crowd to get away.

Just frustrating all the way around.

yes, but maybe not in that theater. Not sure if there is a MEU in the med right now. Those elements rotate a lot and are more focused on the Indo-Pacom region. If there is one to the Atlantic it might be up in Scandinavia with the large exercise going on.

Amphibious_assault_ship_USS_Belleau_Wood_(July_7_2004).thumb.jpg.24df46a9a97ee6b53dbf1701ad9de520.jpg

I have been saying there needs to be a non-US/IDF force to protect any beachhead. I would go with the Turks and Moroccans. Maybe toss in a few Western beach commanders.

Canadians since no one hates them.

12 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Security? Nope. I am  on the food/med/water side. So I know logistics.

More what I was thinking is that you provide humanitarian aid to places such as Gaza and would bring a security force with you to help protect you and the aid.

so what I was asking is whether this is the sort of project that you take on.

12 minutes ago, Bevo said:

More what I was thinking is that you provide humanitarian aid to places such as Gaza and would bring a security force with you to help protect you and the aid.

so what I was asking is whether this is the sort of project that you take on.

Yep. Security is always in our plans. But now we are focused on S. Sudan and getting ready for Haiti. Gaza/Israel goes to the big boys.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

yes, but maybe not in that theater. Not sure if there is a MEU in the med right now. Those elements rotate a lot and are more focused on the Indo-Pacom region. If there is one to the Atlantic it might be up in Scandinavia with the large exercise going on.

Amphibious_assault_ship_USS_Belleau_Wood_(July_7_2004).thumb.jpg.24df46a9a97ee6b53dbf1701ad9de520.jpg

I have been saying there needs to be a non-US/IDF force to protect any beachhead. I would go with the Turks and Moroccans. Maybe toss in a few Western beach commanders.

Canadians since no one hates them.

image.png.ef395d2866033a641fbba79ba1a4fb90.png

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Welp, you've got the US, France, UAE, Jordan, and Egypt flipping shit out of planes. My guess is that 2 of those 5 know how to do it.

Whoah!

I wasn’t aware of all those others participating in the airdrops. Just thought it was the USA.

19 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Whoah!

I wasn’t aware of all those others participating in the airdrops. Just thought it was the USA.

In this clip, it looks like the chute didn't open for one of them, and even for those that the chute did work, they're coming down fucking fast.

NYTimes article naming the countries:

The Gaza authorities said several others were injured when at least one parachute attached to a pallet of aid failed to open.

The authorities in Gaza said at least five Palestinians were killed and several others were wounded on Friday after packages of humanitarian aid that had been airdropped fell on them in Gaza City.

The report, put out by the government media office and the Palestinian civil defense force, could not be immediately verified by independent sources, but if confirmed, the deaths would underscore the dangers and difficulties of relying on airdrops to get food to people facing severe hunger in northern Gaza after five months of war.

A Pentagon spokesman, Maj. Gen. Patrick S. Ryder, said the United States had carried out an airdrop on Friday, but he said all the bundles of aid that had been dropped — enough for about 11,000 meals — had landed safely.  

A video, circulating on social media and purporting to depict the incident, shows a plane releasing parachutes carrying aid packages over northern Gaza. In the clip, whose date and location were verified by The New York Times, it appears that one parachute failed to open, while multiple packages that were not attached to parachutes plummeted to the ground. In the clip, filmed near Al-Shati Camp, people can be seen running in different directions.

The government media office said in a statement that the packages fell “on the heads” of some people “as a result of landing incorrectly.” The office added that it had previously warned that a similar incident could occur during airdrops and “pose a death threat to the lives” of civilians in Gaza. Noting that some of the aid had landed in the sea or close to the Israeli border, the statement said that airdrop operations were “ineffective and not the best way to deliver aid.”

It remained unclear what country had dropped the aid packages.  Besides the United States, Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and France have done airdrops in recent weeks in an effort to stave off a greater humanitarian disaster in Gaza. U.N. officials say the threat of famine is looming over the besieged coastal strip, where aid had been trickling in by truck through two border crossings.

U.N. officials, aid groups and experts on humanitarian crises have said the airdrops are insufficient and largely symbolic, given the dire needs of the two million Gazans still trapped in a war zone. They have urged Israel to open up more border crossings and to speed up inspections of the aid shipments.

Airdrops can only deliver a fraction of the food a convoy of trucks can haul, and it is difficult if not impossible to control who takes possession of the goods once they reach the ground, these experts have said.

But dangers posed by failed parachutes and falling pallets of food, water and other aid are also a major risk in airdrop operations.

James McGoldrick, a senior U.N. relief official in Israel, said the fatal accident on Friday gave additional weight to the argument that Israel should open more overland crossings.

“Let the stuff just flow, it’s a very simple solution,” he said in a telephone interview. “You don’t have to have airdrops like the one which killed five people this morning in the north.”

Saleh Eid, a 60-year-old translator, said in a telephone interview on Friday that he had previously seen packages airdropped in north Gaza fall “very fast” when their parachutes failed to open, creating a risk to people’s lives.

Mr. Eid, who lives in the city of Jabaliya just north of Gaza City, said that many of these packages have fallen into the sea. Others have dropped into open areas near the border with Israel, and people have risked being shot by Israeli forces to retrieve them, he said.

Mr. Eid said that much of the airdropped food ends up being sold on the black market rather than being distributed to the most hungry.

On Sunday, he said, he bought three bags of food at a market that had been airdropped by the United States. He gave the food to his wife, who is nursing their 2-week-old baby, in the hope that she could eat well enough to produce milk.

Each of the bags, he said, cost him 30 shekels, or about $8 dollars, and contained a small meal and some biscuits, jam, peanut butter, a bar of chocolate, a juice box, instant coffee and gum.

• Hook 'Em 2