NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

I don’t know if I’d go that far. You’ve got one of the greatest passers of all-time catching the defense off guard by throwing it to a wide-open, prolific leaper and dunker. It’s a badass play, though.

i’d go that far. i’ve never seen that play before, or anything really like it. the speed and nonchalance with which he executed it makes it that much more amazing.

• Like 1

I don’t know if I’d go that far. You’ve got one of the greatest passers of all-time catching the defense off guard by throwing it to a wide-open, prolific leaper and dunker. It’s a badass play, though.

Happy Gilmore accomplished that feat no more than an hour ago.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are a lot of videos on YouTube compiling Larry Bird trash talking stories. One was him bullying some rookie guarding him. Larry pulled up from half court in the middle of the game. He told the rookie "bet you can't do this" and air balled by a lot. The rookie was like "I can definitely do that." Bird says "no, I'm staying in the game." Even Bird would get pulled for that shit Jordan Poole did

Edited by SilasCoade
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

they’re definitely going all the way, 0% chance that this blows up in their face and ends with a first round exit. 

They need to make a move for Ben Simmons. I feel he would really tie the locker room together. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

“And an additional 1st round pick, routed from a 3rd team”

What? What is this mystery team getting to give up a pick. Seems strange.

It’s OKC.  Supposedly, Clippers throwing in the 2026 pick which OKC.  That’s a tasty pick so I’m curious what OKC gets.

Seems like a good deal for the 76ers, or at least the best they could do. Offloading an aging PJ Tucker who didn't really play in their first 3 games is a win for them. I don't know what is going on with that OKC pick, but getting any 1sts in return is a surprise. All 4 of the players Philly gets are expiring deals. 

James Harden trade details
76ers receive:

Marcus Morris
Nicolas Batum
Robert Covington
Kenyon Martin Jr.
2026 Clippers first-round pick via Thunder
2028 Clippers first-round pick (unprotected)
One first-round pick swap
Two future second-round picks

Clippers receive:

James Harden
P.J. Tucker
Filip Petrusev

Thunder receive:

Assets to be named later

76ers grade: B+
The Sixers were in a tough spot with Harden, whose market had almost completely dried up. There was little interest outside of the Clippers. While they didn't get the player who they were targeting in Terance Mann, this does help them moving forward.

This is an addition-by-subtraction move for the Sixers first and foremost. They are no longer at risk of Harden posing a distraction, which he has done in the past when trade demands drag on. And Tyrese Maxey has exploded in Harden's absence, averaging 30.3 points, 6.7 rebounds and 6.3 assists in the Sixers' first three games.

Moving Harden allows Maxey to continue to flourish in his new role and the team can continue playing more quickly in a more egalitarian style under Nick Nurse. 

MORE: Week 1 overreactions: Denver's dominance, Tyrese Maxey's leap and more

The Sixers are also getting some decent role players back who will help them this year and then go off their books to open up cap space down the line. Nicolas Batum, Marcus Morris and Robert Covington are all older players who can spread the floor with shooting and have veteran playoff experience.

Covington may be the best of the three, and Morey seems to have an affinity for him — this is the third time that Morey has acquired Covington over the course of his 11-year career. 

KJ Martin is the most interesting of the players acquired by the Sixers. He'll be a restricted free agent next summer, and he showed some real promise while with the Rockets as an athletic wing with some two-way potential. He can fly in for some weakside blocks. Like his father Kenyon Martin, he's a great play finisher. And while he's not a great shooter, hitting 33.8 percent of his 3s for his career, he has shot a better percentage earlier in his career. 

This is a nice amount of draft capital, too. Given the age of their star players, those 2026 and 2028 Clippers picks have a chance to be very good down the line. For the same reason, that pick swap has real value as well. 

It's tough to see a top-30 player go out the door without receiving one back. But the assets that the team acquired, along with that draft capital and potential cap space next summer, allow them to make another move down the line. This seems more like a "to be continued" trade than anything else. 

Clippers grade: B
Harden's fit on this team is going to be a little bit weird. It immediately raises the question of what will happen with Russell Westbrook, who took a huge pay cut to come back to the team and played well for them last season. Harden and Westbrook already have history playing together, so we know a little bit about what that might look like. 

Both Harden and Westbrook need the ball in their hands, and this takes away the nice fit that led to Westbrook's career resurrection after a disastrous stint with the Lakers. It might make sense to move him to the bench in order to let him continue to be the lead ball handler in those units. 

This could end up working nicely, though. Harden is still a fantastic passer — he led the league in assists last season. The Clippers were playing a rough style of basketball, depending far too heavily on isolations from Paul George and Kawhi Leonard. While both are extremely talented scorers, they were less than the sum of their parts.

Harden has shown that he is willing to take a backseat to better players, as he did with Joel Embiid in Philadelphia. He can play the facilitator role for this team and get everyone the ball in their favorite spots. And he has better shooting around him than he did with the Sixers, which should make him an even more dangerous passer. 

P.J. Tucker should also help despite declining considerably over the years. His defense isn't what it once was, but he's still above average in that department. He's a good offensive rebounder and 3-point shooter, hitting 40.5 percent over the past two seasons. But he can be too reticent to let them fly, leading to teams not guarding him. 

This trade has a decent chance of blowing up in the Clippers' face given that a bunch of egos could end up fighting each other for shots. But this team wasn't going anywhere anyway. This gives them more championship equity than they had in the past. 

Thunder grade: Incomplete
We don't know exactly how the Thunder have been roped into this trade yet. What we do know is that the Clippers' 2026 first-round pick, which the Thunder acquired as part of the Paul George trade in 2019, is now being routed to the Sixers. 

The cost for that pick is going to be high. The Thunder are getting something good back. We will have to wait and see what that is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That's actually a good deal for OKC.  They already had 3 first round picks in 2026.  I didn't realize the Clippers 2026 was protected but if it is, an unprotected 2027 pick swap is better.  They're still better on the Clippers being bad in the future, which is a safe bet especially with this deal.

35 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

For fucks sake

Speaking of the Warriors... they actually look really good early in the season. Curry has been on fire. I'm sure that cunt Chris Paul will get hurt come playoff time, but he's been a great fit both coming off the bench and closing out games. Their second unit is actually stout now. Kuminga and Moody have grown into legit NBA players, and Payton looks healthy. Saric has been a nice add and the rookie from Indiana has been solid, too. Klay may very well be washed but if not and they can stay healthy (not likely with all the old dudes) they are going to be one of the top 3 seeds in the west and a tough out in the playoffs. Very impressed with them so far but a team with Draymond and CP3 is going to make a run at the 2022 Lakers for being one of the most hateable in recent memory.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Speaking of the Warriors... they actually look really good early in the season. Curry has been on fire. I'm sure that cunt Chris Paul will get hurt come playoff time, but he's been a great fit both coming off the bench and closing out games. Their second unit is actually stout now. Kuminga and Moody have grown into legit NBA players, and Payton looks healthy. Saric has been a nice add and the rookie from Indiana has been solid, too. Klay may very well be washed but if not and they can stay healthy (not likely with all the old dudes) they are going to be one of the top 3 seeds in the west and a tough out in the playoffs. Very impressed with them so far but a team with Draymond and CP3 is going to make a run at the 2022 Lakers for being one of the most hateable in recent memory.

I agree they look good, but I was bemoaning the Pelicans' shitty injury luck.

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It's really, really weird watching a Warriors' team with a functioning offense without Steph on the floor. Even during the KD years, it wasn't very pretty (but KD was great enough to make his own offense).

Also super weird being on the other side of "don't let Chris Paul get to the elbow you fucking idiots!"

This team is too old and too small to make it until June, but they're a really fun watch right now.

Yes! This is the trade I’ve been waiting for. There is no player to truly stick a knife in any team culture and destroy the postseason quite like James Edward Harden Jr. The Clippers now have all the injury prone stars and malcontents. The only ways this ends in a championship will be an act of God, charity for all the money James has given single mothers over the years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Kermit said:

Yes! This is the trade I’ve been waiting for. There is no player to truly stick a knife in any team culture and destroy the postseason quite like James Edward Harden Jr. The Clippers now have all the injury prone stars and malcontents. The only ways this ends in a championship will be an act of God, charity for all the money James has given single mothers over the years.

You mean there's no possible way they could still trade for Kyrie?

• Hook 'Em 1

On this Clippers thing... Harden is in the last year of his contract. His agent had to have some sort of framework for a deal moving forward in requesting that deal specifically to them. Kawhi and Paul George each have player options for $48.7 million next year, and then they're free agents. The Clips, correct me if I'm wrong, don't have a first round pick that they fully control until 2029 and the second tier penalties kick in next year. And they've paid more luxury tax than anyone and haven't won jack shit. You ever watch a friend lose his ass at blackjack and then keep going into his wallet to try to dig themselves out? Oof.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

His agent had to have some sort of framework for a deal moving forward in requesting that deal specifically to them.

Isn't that what got him in this mess in the first place? If Morrey isn't going to "keep his word" to James Harden, I'm really looking forward to next off-season when he expects LAC to step up and pay him like a top 10 player.

If Jimmy Butler were on that team as well I would pay good money for some sort of Hard Knocks behind the scenes show.

i love how he corrected himself by essentially saying the same thing. “You’re right, that was insensitive of me to use that term in the pejorative. here allow me to make things right by using the updated version of the word to say the exact same thing.” where’d you learn that cheech, the tom brenneman school of apology?”

Edited by shadow_operative