NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

19 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

If Miami goes 23/43 from three every game, they might have a chance in this series. 

Oh what the fuck ever Boston has major issues with these guys. They have no excuse losing at home. 

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Kinda where I'm at. What are the chances he ends up back in OKC in the next year or two? At least 40% yeah?

It's the perfect solution for both.  He's not winning anything in Phoenix, he'd fit in perfect in OKC, they're the only ones with assets, and it's a great story.

Also, if it matters, Chet has KD's shoe.  (That may not matter at all.)

15 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This zone is really gumming up the okc offense. As much as they lean on SGA and Williams creating off the dribble, I’m surprised we don’t see more teams use it against them. Especially when Giddey is out there who isn’t a shooting threat. 

They have 63 at the half.  They're shooting 59% and 55% from 3.

Jimmy Butler trolls Celtics after Heat's Game 2 win

The Miami Heat defeated the Boston Celtics 111-101 to tie the first round Eastern Conference series 1-1, and Jimmy Butler is loving it.

The Heat star trolled the Celtics on Instagram after the game, photoshopping his face on top of Jaylen Brown's in a quote graphic from last season. Brown's quote "don't let us get one" came after Boston went down 3-0 in the Eastern Conference finals, which Miami went on to win in seven games.

Even though he's not on the court due to injury, Butler has still found a way to talk trash.

Screenshot_2024-04-24-22-40-03_kindlephoto-5370025.thumb.png.f8c90a828f639fdef9eab072d5ea99ce.png

Without Butler, Terry Rozier and Josh Richardson, the No. 8 seed Heat rebounded from their 114-94 loss in Game 1 to the No. 1 Celtics. It's the fifth time they've lost a game by at least 20 points then won the following game by 10 points in a playoff series under Erik Spoelstra, tied for the most such wins by a head coach in NBA history, per Elias Sports Bureau.

Miami hit 23 total 3-pointers, its most in a playoff game in franchise history, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Tyler Herro led the Heat with 24 points and 14 assists, including making or assisting on 16 3-pointers, the second-most in a playoff game in the last 25 years. His 14 assists are also the second-most in franchise history.

"Before the series [Jimmy Butler] texted me to take the team and lead these guys... Everybody came to play. We lost bad in Game 1 and everyone responded," Herro said after the game.

Butler suffered a right MCL injury against the Philadelphia 76ers in the play-in tournament game last Wednesday. He is expected to be sidelined for several weeks, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Game 3 is in Miami on Saturday.

10 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They have a very rapidly closing window that wasn't very wide to begin with, and once it's shut they are going to have to fire sale whatever they can get for Booker and the ghost of Kevin Durant. They are going to look a lot like what Brooklyn does about now sooner rather than later.

Or maybe...
Send KD to the Rockets for FVV and Green + some protected picks. 
Rockets sign Harden and Westbrook as free agents.
Steven Adams comes back healthy next year.
Young Rockets core and assets to help build around them. 

Then they can throw a party for the OKC Thunder 2.0! 

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This zone is really gumming up the okc offense. As much as they lean on SGA and Williams creating off the dribble, I’m surprised we don’t see more teams use it against them. Especially when Giddey is out there who isn’t a shooting threat. 

You’re usually spot on.  I don’t get this take at all.  Although I’m drunk on a Wednesday night.  Delilah Miami folks.  Highly recommend.  

7 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It is partly because they were the best three-point shooting team in the regular season. They had ten players shoot 39% or better on 3pt. Giddey is a poor shooter, but all their other players can shoot. I think the days of OKC running out Perkins and Roberson while their stars get fatigued from trying to out-hero ball double teams appear to be over.

6 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You’re usually spot on.  I don’t get this take at all.  Although I’m drunk on a Wednesday night.  Delilah Miami folks.  Highly recommend.  

It was just a stretch late in the second quarter. Okc looked like they were about to blow the doors off of them and the Pels made a run to get it to 10. Seemed like the momentum was shifting and the game was going to be competitive. They adjusted at the half by moving SGA to the high post and he proceeded to take a blow torch to the entire city of New Orleans. SGA is a fucking witch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Leamas said:

It is partly because they were the best three-point shooting team in the regular season. They had ten players shoot 39% or better on 3pt. Giddey is a poor shooter, but all their other players can shoot. I think the days of OKC running out Perkins and Roberson while their stars get fatigued from trying to out-hero ball double teams appear to be over.

Yeah, I've watched them a lot the past few years and that's spot on.  Presti was always obsessed with position less basketball and he got that on defense back then but he had guys with literally zero offensive skills, which lead to KD and Russ having to play hero ball.

With this group, they've got 10 guys who can get up and down the floor, move, and they can all shoot.  With the exception of Chet, they're completely interchangeable on offense and even Chet can handle and shoot.  They're still good on defense, though.

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Jimmy Butler trolls Celtics after Heat's Game 2 win

The Miami Heat defeated the Boston Celtics 111-101 to tie the first round Eastern Conference series 1-1, and Jimmy Butler is loving it.

The Heat star trolled the Celtics on Instagram after the game, photoshopping his face on top of Jaylen Brown's in a quote graphic from last season. Brown's quote "don't let us get one" came after Boston went down 3-0 in the Eastern Conference finals, which Miami went on to win in seven games.

Even though he's not on the court due to injury, Butler has still found a way to talk trash.

Screenshot_2024-04-24-22-40-03_kindlephoto-5370025.thumb.png.f8c90a828f639fdef9eab072d5ea99ce.png

Without Butler, Terry Rozier and Josh Richardson, the No. 8 seed Heat rebounded from their 114-94 loss in Game 1 to the No. 1 Celtics. It's the fifth time they've lost a game by at least 20 points then won the following game by 10 points in a playoff series under Erik Spoelstra, tied for the most such wins by a head coach in NBA history, per Elias Sports Bureau.

Miami hit 23 total 3-pointers, its most in a playoff game in franchise history, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Tyler Herro led the Heat with 24 points and 14 assists, including making or assisting on 16 3-pointers, the second-most in a playoff game in the last 25 years. His 14 assists are also the second-most in franchise history.

"Before the series [Jimmy Butler] texted me to take the team and lead these guys... Everybody came to play. We lost bad in Game 1 and everyone responded," Herro said after the game.

Butler suffered a right MCL injury against the Philadelphia 76ers in the play-in tournament game last Wednesday. He is expected to be sidelined for several weeks, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Game 3 is in Miami on Saturday.

Remember when people were trying to say that the key to their run last season was Herro being out.

Now Jimmy is out and they're doing the same shit.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Yeah, I've watched them a lot the past few years and that's spot on.  Presti was always obsessed with position less basketball and he got that on defense back then but he had guys with literally zero offensive skills, which lead to KD and Russ having to play hero ball.

With this group, they've got 10 guys who can get up and down the floor, move, and they can all shoot.  With the exception of Chet, they're completely interchangeable on offense and even Chet can handle and shoot.  They're still good on defense, though.

It started when Presti poached Chip Engelland from Popovich. By reputation, he's the best shooting coach and one of the best backroom staff members to have, and pretty much turned around their shooting overnight. I've been following the Thunder since day 1 and only their 2013 team was an elite shooting team. They have usually lagged behind the other elite teams in this area and it would cost them.

It's also remarkable the Thunder are elite (by SRS and MOV, two reliable predictors of postseason success BTW) despite being the worst rebounding team in the league. For around three-fourths of the regular season, they were either the worst or second-worst ORB and DRB team. They focused on it and became a little better after the All-Star break, but it is an obvious inherent disadvantage. If they make it to the Finals, they would be the worst team ever at a fundamental area of the game to do it. The other handicap is experience even though people don't like to talk about it and think talent overcomes inexperience. But experience isn't a problem until it is.

Edited by Leamas

3 hours ago, Leamas said:

It started when Presti poached Chip Engelland from Popovich. By reputation, he's the best shooting coach and one of the best backroom staff members to have, and pretty much turned around their shooting overnight. I've been following the Thunder since day 1 and only their 2013 team was an elite shooting team. They have usually lagged behind the other elite teams in this area and it would cost them.

It's also remarkable the Thunder are elite (by SRS and MOV, two reliable predictors of postseason success BTW) despite being the worst rebounding team in the league. For around three-fourths of the regular season, they were either the worst or second-worst ORB and DRB team. They focused on it and became a little better after the All-Star break, but it is an obvious inherent disadvantage. If they make it to the Finals, they would be the worst team ever at a fundamental area of the game to do it. The other handicap is experience even though people don't like to talk about it and think talent overcomes inexperience. But experience isn't a problem until it is.

That was a key move but they also just have better shooters now than they did then.  Worst shooters for them now are Giddey and Dory and they're not terrible, whereas those teams in the past would have 2-3 guys at a time on the court who lacked basic offensive skills.  (The Presti archetype was a shooting guard who couldn't shoot.)  

I’m fully expecting the Lakers Ref Cabal to come through for the Purple and Gold tonight. Going to need 40 free throws, a couple of ejections and Jokic getting his 4th foul in the 1st quarter. If they can manage all of that I see a two point Laker win. 

Just now, UpperWestside said:

I’m fully expecting the Lakers Ref Cabal to come through for the Purple and Gold tonight. Going to need 40 free throws, a couple of ejections and Jokic getting his 4th foul in the 1st quarter. If they can manage all of that I see a two point Laker win. 

They came through with a +13 in game 1 already.  Didn't matter.  Although if the Lakers go +20 on FT differential I could see it swinging the game their way.

Maybe Silver will suspend Jokic for his brother punching someone?

In other news, Embiid just got called for a Flagrant 1. 
Between that and the knee to Hartenstein's balls, he needs to sit the rest of this one out. So mentally soft.

3 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Lebron about to add yet another sweep and yet another first round exit to his resume. Impressive stuff. 

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess no team with Michael Jordan on it ever lost 10 consecutive games to the same team. He simply wouldnt allow it to happen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Lebron about to add yet another sweep and yet another first round exit to his resume. Impressive stuff. 

Only the second time in 20 years (2021) that neither LeBron or Steph have won a playoff series. End of an era. One team is probably going to rebuild; the other team should, but can't/won't.

So disappointed in the Ref Cabal. They did not cheat at all tonight and that’s unacceptable. Apparently the cabal only exists in the minds of crazy people who think officials are working behind the scenes as part of a master plan to help the Lakers win. Who knew that the people saying these things on here and elsewhere are indeed off their rocker.

I watched the equivalent of three minutes in the 1st half and that was enough. Denver will get a back-to-back and that’s cool. Most everyone predicted that before the season began. Jokic is pretty cool and the NBA is lucky to have him as the face of the NBA right now. Good luck to LeBron for whatever team he forces his way onto next. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Lebron must be tired of Joker's nuts bouncing on his chin.

I gotta say that he and Street Clothes really shouldn’t poke the bear like they did last summer saying they were hearing Denver talk about them. Boy did that go nowhere. Well deserved sweep coming for those two.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 1

So disappointed in the Ref Cabal. They did not cheat at all tonight and that’s unacceptable. Apparently the cabal only exists in the minds of crazy people who think officials are working behind the scenes as part of a master plan to help the Lakers win. Who knew that the people saying these things on here and elsewhere are indeed off their rocker.

I watched the equivalent of three minutes in the 1st half and that was enough. Denver will get a back-to-back and that’s cool. Most everyone predicted that before the season began. Jokic is pretty cool and the NBA is lucky to have him as the face of the NBA right now. Good luck to LeBron for whatever team he forces his way onto next. 
Lulz