Kevin Durant Longhorn Legend

Patrick Bateman

Only as long as Curry's ankles hold up. Main reason the Golden State main office wanted KD was because of Curry's unpredictable ankles.

Know why the Warriors could afford KD? They had Curry on a sweetheart of a contract due to him being basically out for a year with his ankle injury in the 2011/12 season.

2012 to 2016 when he was twice MVP he was on a 4 year 44 million contract. Probably best bargain MVP in history.

My god, sports pundits are idiots. Will it diminish his rings? 

I just checked in here for the first time ever. First thing I read is something absurd. I hate the endless NBA season. I don't care about the teams or players, so I'm not sticking up for KD. It's just that question, which will no doubt become an issue I'm forced to listen to on the radio until football season starts, is idiot bait.

"Yea, Frank, I'd have to say his rings are diminished." "Why is that?" "Because his team won without him, Frank." "Great point. We'll be back to beat this further to death after this message from an ED product."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

My god, sports pundits are idiots. Will it diminish his rings? 

I just checked in here for the first time ever. First thing I read is something absurd. I hate the endless NBA season. I don't care about the teams or players, so I'm not sticking up for KD. It's just that question, which will no doubt become an issue I'm forced to listen to on the radio until football season starts, is idiot bait.

"Yea, Frank, I'd have to say his rings are diminished." "Why is that?" "Because his team won without him, Frank." "Great point. We'll be back to beat this further to death after this message from an ED product."

Public perception is real. KD knows this. Why do you think there are big rumblings about him leaving? Because he knows he can win 10 rings and 10 Finals MVPs with Golden St in a row and the public perception will never change on him. Lebron faced this same thing in Miami although not to this degree since he didn't join a 73 win team who went to 2 straight Finals and just beat him in the West Finals. KD cares about his image a great deal. To the point of creating Twitter socks to defend his name. Whether or not you agree with it does not mean it is not real. Tons of people diminish his rings and this includes media, fans and his peers. The respect for him dwindled big time. This is very real. Is it warranted? Probably not but he had to know this would happen when he made the move he did.

And this happens in all sports to different players. Coaches as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Broussard is an idiot and Durant is calling him out for it. Not sure how that is thin skinned at all.

Also that entire argument is ridiculous. They didn't win without him in 2017 or 2018.  And there is still basketball to be played. 

• Like 2

I mean...dude is pretty fucking thin skinned, man lol. A few years ago, he would’ve responded to this from his burner account (even though the tweet isn’t taking a shot at him). Now he’s leveled up to responding from his own personal account. Dude just needs to get off Twitter. He always looks ridiculous anytime he gets into these

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Broussard is an idiot and Durant is calling him out for it. Not sure how that is thin skinned at all.

Also that entire argument is ridiculous. They didn't win without him in 2017 or 2018.  And there is still basketball to be played. 

Seriously. Are basketball players not allowed to call out stupid takes from the media anymore without people jumping on them for being 'thin-skinned'?

The best thing KD can do at this point is stay with the Warriors and continue to rack up titles. Give the media the metaphorical middle finger. Message boards like surly aren't where players' legacies are decided, by the time KD's retiring all of these meaningless 'he joined a 73-win team!!1!' excuses will long be forgotten.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Public perception is real. KD knows this. Why do you think there are big rumblings about him leaving? Because he knows he can win 10 rings and 10 Finals MVPs with Golden St in a row and the public perception will never change on him. Lebron faced this same thing in Miami although not to this degree since he didn't join a 73 win team who went to 2 straight Finals and just beat him in the West Finals. KD cares about his image a great deal. To the point of creating Twitter socks to defend his name. Whether or not you agree with it does not mean it is not real. Tons of people diminish his rings and this includes media, fans and his peers. The respect for him dwindled big time. This is very real. Is it warranted? Probably not but he had to know this would happen when he made the move he did.

And this happens in all sports to different players. Coaches as well. 

LeBron would have always been a Top 10 easily or maybe even 5 player all-time with just Miami, but no doubt that the Cleveland title (especially against Golden State of all teams) was huge in helping drive him into a higher tier all-time (in my opinion up there with KAJ/Jordan).  As for KD, if he didn't care about certain narratives that have formed around him, he wouldn't bother to respond to so many irrelevant Twitter people (not talking Broussard types but just random fans with very few followers) out there.  I think he should leave Golden State after this year to try and win a title on his own.  I think Golden State can win the title this year even without KD if Draymond Green keeps playing like he is, but I think KD might be back by the NBA Finals.  Could you imagine Golden State versus say the Knicks with KD in the Finals next year?  That would be fun.    

With Golden State, Durant's the Alex Rodriguez versus Derek Jeter (Curry) of Golden State, there is just no way he will ever get the full respect and admiration equivalent to his talent while on that team.  My best friend's wife is a 20 year Golden State fan from the Bay Area, and she thinks Durant is an awesome player, but she also thinks a lot of other stars could replace Durant and the team could still win.  Maybe a lot of other Warriors fans feel differently, I don't know.  Also just anecdotally I take my youngest to basketball all the time and you pretty much in that age bracket (at least with these specific kids) consistently hear Curry this Curry that Curry awesomesauce, and for Durant what I hear most often is that he couldn't win on his own so he joined a super team (then of course you hear what about LeBron and Miami?) so this narrative from outside seems to have some impact on impressionable young people at least.  (I personally think Curry is very popular with kids because he's not an alien genetic freak of nature but someone much more relatable with the kind of game kids can try and emulate for fun in their basketball dreams)   

33 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Seriously. Are basketball players not allowed to call out stupid takes from the media anymore without people jumping on them for being 'thin-skinned'?

The best thing KD can do at this point is stay with the Warriors and continue to rack up titles. Give the media the metaphorical middle finger. Message boards like surly aren't where players' legacies are decided, by the time KD's retiring all of these meaningless 'he joined a 73-win team!!1!' excuses will long be forgotten.

If it's such a dumb take then why even respond to it? Honestly. The media says shit. It's what they do. KD is the one who can decide with his behavior whether it is true or not.

It's like when you joke around with someone and imply that they might be gay. Most people just have a snarky remark or good joke to throw back at you. But the ones that get defensive, it makes you wonder.

Exactly, they put something like that on Twitter with the dream of the athlete responding. It’s the very definition of feeding the troll, except it’s the best possible outcome for the troll. KD doesn’t respond to that if there wasn’t an ounce of truth to it. You would just laugh that off, because you know it’s not even a take worth defending yourself over. 

And let’s not act like he’s just responding to the Chris Broussard’s of the world. He’s the type of dude that searches his name on Twitter.

43 minutes ago, satyanash said:

If players responded to every single stupid take out there then they wouldnt have time to you know actually play.  They are millionaires,KD is a champion,mvp, finals mvp, etc.  He should be above this sort of nonsense.  

Fan offends KD by celebrating Warriors win

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1840125

lol, you guys must live in an orange bubble if you give KD a pass for this stuff. (easymoneysniper is KD's account)

There's a thread with 171 posts from fans from many other teams in the NBA, and most all of them see this for what it is, and it's not a one-off instance, it's a pattern. It's who he is, he won't ever let this slights go, even after winning the Finals MVP twice in a row. The guy needs some weed or some prozac to let it go and chill the fuck out. He takes these things said on the internet way too seriously. 

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Like 1

There is a zero percent chance he doesn't still have some Twitter burn account so he can "defend" himself.  He probably just labeled the phones for which account is which so that he doesn't do that again.  He's entirely too sensitive to let things go. 

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

If it's such a dumb take then why even respond to it? Honestly. The media says shit. It's what they do. KD is the one who can decide with his behavior whether it is true or not.

It's like when you joke around with someone and imply that they might be gay. Most people just have a snarky remark or good joke to throw back at you. But the ones that get defensive, it makes you wonder.

I agree with your first part. Your second part is monumentally stupid.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I said that they need KD to win the Finals. With the West in its current state, the Warriors can get there without him.

KD better hope his calf allows him to stop this narrative. If they beat Milwaukee without him lol, my god he will never hear the end of that. I just want to see if they can do it.

i very rarely use twitter, and i don't think i even follow KD, so I never see any of these tweets he posts...

...until I come to the goddamn shaggy basketball forum WHERE NOBODY WILL STOP POSTING ABOUT KD AND HIS GODDAMN TWITTER. Jesus titty-fucking tap dancing christ, we get it: KD is thin skinned and he responds to people on social media. Been that way for years, it ain't breaking news. But you know what's even more annoying than that? 50 FUCKING PEOPLE ON A UT MESSAGE BOARD WHO FOR YEARS NOW WON'T STOP POSTING HIS TWEETS AND TALKING ABOUT THEM. 

Thats the irony of all this. He's thin skinned, but so are all of the people who rush to their computers to slam him for it so that they can feel cool about themselves. It's the exact same fucking thing that he's doing. You morons incessantly rushing to an internet message board to comment on KD's twitter posts is zero percent different than what he does, except that it's actually more annoying. I'd rather watch KD butthurtedly argue with basketball fans on twitter a million times over than listen to our resident drama queens incessantly patting themselves on the back as they point out for the thousandth fucking time that  KD has thin skin and responds to people on twitter. You all and KD are one in the same.l in this regard. Now for the love of god can we get a moratorium on all KD twitter related talk? Christ it's annoying. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i very rarely use twitter, and i don't think i even follow KD, so I never see any of these tweets he posts...

...until I come to the goddamn shaggy basketball forum WHERE NOBODY WILL STOP POSTING ABOUT KD AND HIS GODDAMN TWITTER. Jesus titty-fucking tap dancing christ, we get it: KD is thin skinned and he responds to people on social media. Been that way for years, it ain't breaking news. But you know what's even more annoying than that? 50 FUCKING PEOPLE ON A UT MESSAGE BOARD WHO FOR YEARS NOW WON'T STOP POSTING HIS TWEETS AND TALKING ANOUT THEM. 

Thats the irony of all this. He's thin skinned, but so are all of the people who rush to their computers to slam him for it so that they can feel cool about themselves. It's the exact same fucking thing that he's doing. You morons incessantly rushing to an internet message board to comment on KD's twitter posts is zero percent different than what he does, except that it's actually more annoying. I'd rather watch KD butthurtedly argue with basketball fans on twitter a million times over than listen to our resident drama queens incessantly posting, "oh shit KD is so thin skinned what a loser!!!" ad nauseam for years on end. You all are one in the same. 

Dude, no offense but you, of all people, defending someone thin skinned is only gonna cause people to roll their eyes.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
And using a fuckload of CAPS?!?!?! Chill...
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Dude, no offense but you, of all people, defending someone thin skinned is only gonna cause people to roll their eyes.  

dude, no offense, but i don't think you know how to read because not only did i never defend KD in any of that, I in fact called him thin skinned over and over. otherwise dynamite response. 

in fact, i would never defend him for his twitter habits, because not only is he obviously thin skinned, but more importantly, I DONT CARE. I fucking hate coming to this forum to find out that the 27 new posts in a basketball thread is nothing more than the 50th iteration of the same group of posters running in here to gossip about KD and his twitter habits. It's mind numbingly annoying. how many times can the same people make the same posts over and over, like we haven't already hashed this out 100 times before? 

Edited by Goo Punch

If you can’t remove your burnt orange glasses to find the humor in a regular season and finals MVP being so incredibly thin skinned that he responds to every single twitter troll, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s just funny. Funny, and childish. It’s behavior that doesn’t really have a precedent for a superstar athlete in that sport, so let’s not act like this is just your regular, run of the mill twitter response. When Rachel Nichols has an entire segment dedicated to his social media antics in the pregame, it isn’t just the same guys on this message board commenting on it. Stuff like that makes you a laughing stock with your peers. And it doesn’t have to, because he’s Kevin Fucking Durant. His game speaks for itself more than just about anyone that’s ever stepped foot onto a basketball court. So anytime he does something stupid on social media, it’s going to be talked about. ESPECIALLY on this board. 

I say all that, and I’m really not trying to start an argument. Just laugh a little, man lol. It’s funny. It’s something I’d make fun of my 16 year old cousin for doing.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

dude, no offense, but i don't think you know how to read because not only did i never defend KD in any of that, I in fact called him thin skinned over and over. otherwise dynamite response. 

in fact, i would never defend him for his twitter habits, because not only is he obviously thin skinned, but more importantly, I DONT CARE. I fucking hate coming to this forum to find out that the 27 new posts in a basketball thread is nothing more than the 50th iteration of the same group of posters running in here to gossip about KD and his twitter habits. It's mind numbingly annoying. how many times can the same people make the same posts over and over, like we haven't already hashed this out 100 times before? 

Just do a simple google search.  It's a very popular topic.  It's not just Surly that's discussing it.  I've always liked you and think you take too much shit around here, but then you just egg on those that like to fuck with you by providing longwinded responses that are honestly, not so measured, when you look at whatever conversation that is...

This is a good example where you go way over the top with some crazy line like 'only this board' is where people are seeing/discussing KD's tweets.  Whatever side of the argument you stand on the Warriors sweeping Portland without their MVP is a big story, only becoming bigger when the subject actively argues on Twitter about it.  And, wow, it's discussed at length on a UT board?  Either way, I don't want to derail shit so I'll stop now.  We'll agree to disagree.  

35 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

If you can’t remove your burnt orange glasses to find the humor in a regular season and finals MVP being so incredibly thin skinned that he responds to every single twitter troll, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s just funny. Funny, and childish. It’s behavior that doesn’t really have a precedent for a superstar athlete in that sport, so let’s not act like this is just your regular, run of the mill twitter response. When Rachel Nichols has an entire segment dedicated to his social media antics in the pregame, it isn’t just the same guys on this message board commenting on it. Stuff like that makes you a laughing stock with your peers. And it doesn’t have to, because he’s Kevin Fucking Durant. His game speaks for itself more than just about anyone that’s ever stepped foot onto a basketball court. So anytime he does something stupid on social media, it’s going to be talked about. ESPECIALLY on this board. 

I say all that, and I’m really not trying to start an argument. Just laugh a little, man lol. It’s funny. It’s something I’d make fun of my 16 year old cousin for doing.

Damn it, wish I had seen this so I could have just pulled the "^^^^^" number...

55 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

dude, literally nobody disagrees with you guys. Everyone has known about KD and his twitter habits for years now. you and the same ole crew resurrecting the subject every month or so for 25 posts in a row is annoying. the same posters make the same posts and nobody even comes in and argues with you guys but it doesn't stop you all from carrying on anyway.

this has nothing to do with "burnt orange glasses"; it's not even about KD; it's about you guys habitually cluttering the thread with KD twitter gossip that nobody cares about. nobody is denying that he's retarded for responding to people the way he does, because again, we don't care. go start a dedicated KD's Twitter Feed thread if you want to talk about it so much. Just stop talking about that shit in basketball threads. 

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

dude, literally nobody disagrees with you guys. Everyone has known about KD and his twitter habits for years now. you and the same ole crew resurrecting the subject every month or so for 25 posts in a row is annoying. the same posters make the same posts and nobody even comes in and argues with you guys but it doesn't stop you all from carrying on anyway.

this has nothing to do with "burnt orange glasses"; it's not even about KD; it's about you guys habitually cluttering the thread with KD twitter gossip that nobody cares about. nobody is denying that he's retarded for responding to people the way he does, because again, we don't care. go start a dedicated KD's Twitter Feed thread if you want to talk about it so much. Just stop talking about that shit in basketball threads. 

Lol alright man. Sorry you feel that way. But just giving you a heads up. Next time Kevin Durant does something stupid on social media, I’m going to come to the Kevin Durant thread to post about it. Just like I would come here if he did something great. So you can ignore me if you want, but this is what you sign up for when you decide to go to the most hated team and become the villain of the NBA. I’m sure he got it out of his system today, so you won’t have to worry about it cluttering up your KD thread for the rest of the playoffs. 

look, i may have been a bit terse earlier, i just hate the way every nba thread inevitably/habitually gets derailed by talk about non-NBA stuff, and since a)I couldn't care less about twitter and b)it's long been established that KD acts like a grown baby on twitter i got pissy earlier. That's my bad, my blunder. I just don't like seeing that there's a slew of new posts in a thread, assuming it's a discussion about basketball (in this case the warriors' unreal record/performance without kd), only to find out we're rehashing the "KD is a giant baby on twitter" stuff for the umpteenth time. That's all.

Edited by Goo Punch

To be fair, this isn’t rehashing old tweets. He’s actively getting into it with fans on Twitter while his team makes the finals again. It’s crazy. I say this is a KD fanboy. I’d fill my house with KD fatheads if it didn’t mean my wife divorcing me and taking half of my KD fatheads.

Jordan would famously invent slights to keep him motivated. He played better if he thought his opponent had disrespected him. Is this KD’s ham handed, 21st century version of MJ’s motivational tool?

1 hour ago, immortal13 said:

Who cares?

It’s more about the fact that we’ve never really seen a superstar athlete act like this. Not in the NBA. And it’s happening in the middle of his team’s nba finals run. It’s just strange, and funny, and kinda sad. Sad knowing a guy that has accomplished so much cares so much about what others view as shortcomings in his career (or shortcuts in his career). It’s like he didn’t expect to get criticized from every angle for joining a team that most NBA fans already hated.

look, i may have been a bit terse earlier, i just hate the way every nba thread inevitably/habitually gets derailed by talk about non-NBA stuff, and since a)I couldn't care less about twitter and b)it's long been established that KD acts like a grown baby on twitter i got pissy earlier. That's my bad, my blunder. I just don't like seeing that there's a slew of new posts in a thread, assuming it's a discussion about basketball (in this case the warriors' unreal record/performance without kd), only to find out we're rehashing the "KD is a giant baby on twitter" stuff for the umpteenth time. That's all.

If you don't want people to bring up Kevin Durant doing dumb shit on the Kevin Durant thread, tell him to stop doing dumb shit.

8 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

It’s more about the fact that we’ve never really seen a superstar athlete act like this. Not in the NBA. And it’s happening in the middle of his team’s nba finals run. It’s just strange, and funny, and kinda sad. Sad knowing a guy that has accomplished so much cares so much about what others view as shortcomings in his career (or shortcuts in his career). It’s like he didn’t expect to get criticized from every angle for joining a team that most NBA fans already hated.

Who cares

9 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

...until I come to the goddamn shaggy basketball forum WHERE NOBODY WILL STOP POSTING ABOUT KD AND HIS GODDAMN TWITTER. Jesus titty-fucking tap dancing christ, we get it: KD is thin skinned and he responds to people on social media. Been that way for years, it ain't breaking news. But you know what's even more annoying than that? 50 FUCKING PEOPLE ON A UT MESSAGE BOARD WHO FOR YEARS NOW WON'T STOP POSTING HIS TWEETS AND TALKING ABOUT THEM. 

Thats the irony of all this. He's thin skinned, but so are all of the people who rush to their computers to slam him for it so that they can feel cool about themselves. It's the exact same fucking thing that he's doing. You morons incessantly rushing to an internet message board to comment on KD's twitter posts is zero percent different than what he does, except that it's actually more annoying. I'd rather watch KD butthurtedly argue with basketball fans on twitter a million times over than listen to our resident drama queens incessantly patting themselves on the back as they point out for the thousandth fucking time that  KD has thin skin and responds to people on twitter. You all and KD are one in the same.l in this regard. Now for the love of god can we get a moratorium on all KD twitter related talk? Christ it's annoying. 

Don't click on the thread.  Problem solved.

13 hours ago, Hate said:

But I was promised they have to have KD to win???

When OKC lost it was everyone's fault but Durant's.  When GS won it was because of Durant.  Now that GS is winning without Durant, the fanboy narrative is coming a bit unglued.

Personally, I think he's a great player and I don't care but he obviously cares.  He obviously wants to be seen as The Man and maybe he'll get that in NY and maybe not but he certainly had it in OKC.  Had he stayed there one more year, won a title, and then left, he'd be in the conversation.  Now, he's negotiating his landing spot while he's still playing in the playoffs, which is what he did when he left OKC. 

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

When OKC lost it was everyone's fault but Durant's.  When GS won it was because of Durant.  Now that GS is winning without Durant, the fanboy narrative is coming a bit unglued.

Personally, I think he's a great player and I don't care but he obviously cares.  He obviously wants to be seen as The Man and maybe he'll get that in NY and maybe not but he certainly had it in OKC.  Had he stayed there one more year, won a title, and then left, he'd be in the conversation.  Now, he's negotiating his landing spot while he's still playing in the playoffs, which is what he did when he left OKC. 

Yea none of that is true at all. When OKC lost everyone saw that he and RW shit the bed. Both played terrible, iso ball in games 6 and 7 that cost OKC that series and both were rightfully blamed for the collapse. 

When he went to GSW the narrative has been that he needs them to win and can’t do it on his own. That’s been the narrative since day 1. 

What are you even talking about?

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea none of that is true at all. When OKC lost everyone saw that he and RW shit the bed. Both played terrible, iso ball in games 6 and 7 that cost OKC that series and both were rightfully blamed for the collapse. 

When he went to GSW the narrative has been that he needs them to win and can’t do it on his own. That’s been the narrative since day 1. 

That is wildly untrue.

7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I don’t think they shit the bed. I think a great team, one is the greatest ever, won game 5 on their home court, won game 6 because of an all time shooting performance from Klay on the road, and won game 7 on their home court. They took that shit. But yes, KD and Russ could’ve played better in game 6 and 7