Kevin Durant Longhorn Legend

Patrick Bateman

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

So, let me see if I have this straight:

The Warriors lied about the initial injury (not just the severity, but the location), pressured him back early, and pushed him through half-assed medical exams. All actions that ensure that, if something like last night happens, everyone who had any part of it gets fired and never works in professional sports again, and the Warriors won't be able to sign a free agent worth a damn for a decade. Got it.

You act as though this hasn't happened before.

Trying to win a championship can cloud your judgement. Nobody is getting fired. This wasn't malice. It was people convincing themselves that things weren't as bad as they really were. If he really blew out his achilles that easily last night, then that thing was being held together with a shoe string and duct tape. They had to know that they were taking a really fucking major risk with it.

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Standard recovery time for a calf strain is 3-6 weeks.

And you can say it was worse than a calf strain, but you're basically saying that your eyes saw something that an MRI and a fleet of actual doctors didn't.

And where did you find this scuttlebutt about the Warriors being mad at KD for not playing through the injury?  I follow sports pretty closely and somehow missed it.  Link?

Look, they targeted his return for the WCF then pushed it back.  Then they targeted his return for game 4 of the Finals and he came back in game 5, so it's pretty difficult to say they pressured him into playing.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2840236-warriors-rumors-players-didnt-understand-why-kevin-durant-didnt-play-game-4.amp.html

23 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

You act as though this hasn't happened before.

Trying to win a championship can cloud your judgement. Nobody is getting fired. This wasn't malice. It was people convincing themselves that things weren't as bad as they really were. If he really blew out his achilles that easily last night, then that thing was being held together with a shoe string and duct tape. They had to know that they were taking a really fucking major risk with it.

So what's the protocol here?  Double the expected recovery time for serious injuries, just to be super safe?  If any injury takes more than one month to heal, sit the player until the following season?

This is a medical staff that forced Klay to sit Game 3--when he was begging to play--and essentially forfeited a home NBA Finals game.

KD obviously wasn't 100%...no one is this time of year. But he passed all the tests that they required him to pass after over a month of battling to get back.

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:
all the people who, a week or two ago, kept insisting that Steph and Klay were relieved or actually happy that KD was out, feel free to stand up. 

They clearly wanted a shot at proving they could do it without him, considering his pending free agency. They’re a proud team, and everyone around the industry kind of assumed they would just lose to Houston when KD went down. Then they didn’t, and everyone kept citing their record when Steph plays and KD doesn’t. They weren’t “happy” that he got hurt and  their chances got worse, but they were using it as a rallying cry. Their roles were increasing, and they had a chip on their shoulder regarding the entire situation.

Then it became apparent that they would, in fact, need him to beat Toronto. 

If you don’t think there’s an ounce of truth in what I’m saying, we’re just going to agree to disagree. He didn’t say anything that anyone in this thread outside of a few idiots didn’t already believe. They clearly like the guy as a teammate (especially Steph and Klay), and anyone with a brain/heart knows that he risked a lot to be onto there last night to help this team. The risk didn’t pay off. It sucks for anyone that’s a basketball fan.

21 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

So what's the protocol here?  Double the expected recovery time for serious injuries, just to be super safe?  If any injury takes more than one month to heal, sit the player until the following season?

This is a medical staff that forced Klay to sit Game 3--when he was begging to play--and essentially forfeited a home NBA Finals game.

KD obviously wasn't 100%...no one is this time of year. But he passed all the tests that they required him to pass after over a month of battling to get back.

So why is Bob Myers apologizing? What did he do wrong that he needs to apologize?

2 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

So why is Bob Myers apologizing? What did he do wrong that he needs to apologize?

Did you actually watch the video?  He didn't apologize.  He said that no one did anything wrong, KD passed all the tests and the doctors cleared him; but that he realizes that someone has to be to blame in today's society, so blame him.

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

They reported it as a "calf strain" when it was obviously worse. Even armchair doctors know that isn't good when the guy is looking back at his heel like that. We knew he came close to rupturing the achilles the first time.

You don't sit out over a month with a "calf strain". That shit was ugly and he should not have played, idgaf what anyone says.

And stop acting like there wasn't noise about the Warriors being frustrated that Boogie, Klay, and Looney were playing hurt while Durant wasn't.

Operating with the ability of hindsight would make every decision much simpler and less risky.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

KD wanted to play and they cleared him. What happened sucks. As Texas fans we should still pile on him though cause he’s obviously the worst dude ever.

Will you stop with the hyperbole? Thinking that someone is soft and kind of a bitch doesn't make them the "worst dude ever". As a person he's obviously alright and i hope he gets the mental help that he needs.

As a competitor, he would rather join 'em than beat 'em.

Edited by Pam Cummings

1 minute ago, Pam Cummings said:

Will you stop with the hyperbole? Thinking that someone is soft and kind of a bitch doesn't make them the "worst dude ever". As a person he's obvioslusly alright and i hope he gets the mental help that he needs.

As a competitor, he would rayher join 'em than beat 'em.

I don’t think he’s a bitch at all.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Windhorst is saying that KD is still not expected to pick up his player option for next year, which makes sense because he feels the FA market for KD will be just as hot even with an Achilles tear.

Yeah, what's another year of suckiness for the Knicks?  Might even land them a top pick to put alongside KD when he comes back.  If KD is only 75% of his prime self for the rest of his career (god that would suck), he's still easily a max level player.

Obviously, it complicates the KD+KI package deal thing.  I don't think Kyrie wants any part of chasing the 8 seed with a shit Knicks' roster.  Brooklyn is still really interesting though.  They can be a top 5ish seed in the East essentially trading Russell for Kyrie, then KD comes back just before the playoffs...

3 hours ago, TexArcher said:

If he'd scored 35 and they'd won, people would be bitching at the docs for not letting him play games 3 and 4.  

That's great and all, but the fact is he blew up his Achilles making a normal basketball move so obviously he wasn't ready to play, not even close actually.  Whose fault is that? Certainly not KD's, he's an ultra elite highly competitive athlete, of course he's going to fucking push to play in the Finals. If we are going to leave these decisions up to the athlete then what's the fucking point of having a whole team of highly compensated team doctors and trainers. Who gives a fuck if people would be bitching if they held him out, people are dumb and will find a reason to bitch about anything, it's KD's career and legacy that are at stake

Maybe GS medical team did everything by the book, if that's true then the process needs to be reevaluated.

No one can probably give an exact answer, but how often are people that blow out an Achilles coming back from a calf strain on the same leg? Almost never?

It happened last night because it wasn’t healed. Period. 

Did KD feel something off and not say anything to Drs? Should Drs have taken the decision out of his hands given the risks? 

Maybe one of the doctors can answer this.  They were wrapping ice on his leg during timeouts.  That seems counter intuitive to me.  Seems like you want to keep everything warm as possible.  Wouldn't a ice cold tendon be more prone to tear?

(I guess it's possible they put a heat pack on it, not an ice pack)

Just now, TexasIsBetter said:

Almost definitely yes, to both

That’s what I think. He was trying to be tough. Organization has their eyes on the prize. Now his career is on a downward trajectory.  Admittedly it’s from a high spot to start but hes not gonna be the same. It’s a fucking shame. 

One thing is for sure, nobody is gonna take calf strains lightly anymore, if they did. 

38 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Did KD feel something off and not say anything to Drs? Should Drs have taken the decision out of his hands given the risks? 

https://sports.yahoo.com/an-upclose-look-at-the-night-that-may-have-changed-kevin-durants-career-forever-091954295.html

"In the initial stages of his postseason absence, the narrative circulating was that the Warriors were a better team without him. Toward the middle of his time being sidelined, some took issue with him remaining in the locker room and not sitting on the bench with his team. In the latter stages of his rehab, the chatter shifted to the possibility that he was milking the injury to prove to the Warriors how desperately he was needed to win another championship."

"Family, teammates and confidants routinely checked on Durant during his quest to rejoin his guys on the court. Each time, Durant explained that he was working to speed up the process but was still experiencing discomfort pushing off his right foot, league sources told Yahoo Sports."

"Sources described Durant as being in agony because he was unable to help his teammates."

• Like 1

Maybe Golden State did everything by the book and nothing is wrong, but you still need to investigate what happened because at first glance it sure appears that he went out there with a degree of risk to the same area that may have been (or not) unacceptably high.  I'm not a doctor so I'm not going to armchair diagnose needlessly, but when you see a player suffer an injury with that specific timing/location with the prior injury where it was, it's really important to see exactly how Durant was tested/evaluated because you certainly don't want this to happen to another player ever again.  Maybe it's a freak injury and incredibly bad luck, but it needs to be looked at by an impartial third party well versed in the subject matter.  What if this was a regular season game?  Did it being the NBA Finals down 3-1 make the risk a little more acceptable to the people making a consensus decision?  What specifically was Durant told about his risk factor going into this game?  Did they somehow miss a test/evaluation that other doctors might have been able to perform that might have actually caught some extra information showing a heightened risk factor?

KD needs to take the best contract he can right now to maximize his value because you never know how his recovery will proceed by next summer and you know teams are ruthless enough to just drop any player off the map with no offers at the drop of a hat.  I still think he will get max offers from teams even knowing he likely doesn't suit up until at least the 2020-21 season.  The take about Durant being a good guy and still being able to recognize that he has flaws is pretty spot on and I hope he recovers well going forward.

3 minutes ago, cochamps said:

To be honest Durant seems to catch more shit than Ced Benson.  KD doesn’t seem to be near the dick that Benson is.

That’s probably accurate. If it’s any consolation to the “you must love Longhorns at all costs” crowd, I don’t really care for Benson or Roy Williams, for that matter.

15 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

cedric benson hasnt been relevant for almost a decade

16 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

cedric benson hasnt been relevant for almost a decade

So what malcontent FB player should be compared?

Btw, Benson played at UT through 04 & KD showed up in 06.  Not contemporaries, but not off by more than a decade.

1 hour ago, cochamps said:

So what malcontent FB player should be compared?

Btw, Benson played at UT through 04 & KD showed up in 06.  Not contemporaries, but not off by more than a decade.

why do you need to look for other athletes to compare to?

the year cedric last played football, kd led the league in scoring.

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

why do you need to look for other athletes to compare to?

the year cedric last played football, kd led the league in scoring.

Did not capture the entire quote, (above a bit) but a poster said UT fans were more critical of KD than we would be of one of our FB players.  I agreed and cited Benson as an example.

10 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Dude, give your KD hate a rest for two fucking seconds. Klay doesn't play the media game; he always says exactly what's on his mind. Steph was also in tears last night along with Myers. It's pretty fucking obvious how much they care about KD as a basketball player and a person.

Got damn I wish you weren’t aggy.  What’s odd in all this is the big three for gsw seem to get along

5 hours ago, cochamps said:

To be honest Durant seems to catch more shit than Ced Benson.  KD doesn’t seem to be near the dick that Benson is.

It'd have to be like a transfer comes into UT like Cam Newton or somebody, wins the Heisman, loses their bowl game, bolts and then is the best player in the NFL. UT fans would worship the ground he walked on. But not KD for going to a way better situation where he can have fun playing college basketball and win championships so he doesn't have to get shit for not having in rings after he retires.

2 hours ago, Hate said:

Not one person on this thread has blamed him for leaving OKC.

No they're just still butthurt because he didn't pick San Antonio.

"Don't be a pussy and join the team that beat you and then lost the Finals! Be a man and prove you can win a title on your own by joining our 5-time championship team that still has 2 of the 3 main championship winning stars, an up-and-coming superstar, and that championship coach!"

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, formermav43 said:

That’s probably accurate. If it’s any consolation to the “you must love Longhorns at all costs” crowd, I don’t really care for Benson or Roy Williams, for that matter.

I don’t understand the Roy Williams hate. He balled out for 4 years here, played in the NFL a little bit, and became a successful businessman after his playing career ended. I can’t even remember him having any legal issues either.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I don’t understand the Roy Williams hate. He balled out for 4 years here, played in the NFL a little bit, and became a successful businessman after his playing career ended. I can’t even remember him having any legal issues either.

He doesn't tip.

2 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Team doctors told KD he couldn’t make his injury any worse.  The “down 3-1 in the finals” medical opinion.

good call.

Wow, was that true?  I will say this about team doctors, a lot of them seem to be too in love with the position itself, vs actually giving an independent medical opinion.  I won't say they chase that jock strap but they do seem to cave to team pressure.  I don't mean when that player goes out and gets an independent opinion but the actual team doctor himself.  It can vary, here in Chicago, Midwest Orthopedics has never seemed to dictate care by team pressure etc but I've seen the guy that flies around with the team be rather weak in the face of an aggressive coach. 

I guess it just draws a certain type of doc to take that position anyway.  And I have zero clue about GS doc.  I will say as much as everyone shit's on Kawhi - only he knows how he felt.  If his independent docs said don't play, fuck all the pressure everyone put on him because the team doc thought he was good to go.  Funny how I have not seen that brought up.  

27 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Wow, was that true?  I will say this about team doctors, a lot of them seem to be too in love with the position itself, vs actually giving an independent medical opinion.  I won't say they chase that jock strap but they do seem to cave to team pressure.  I don't mean when that player goes out and gets an independent opinion but the actual team doctor himself.  It can vary, here in Chicago, Midwest Orthopedics has never seemed to dictate care by team pressure etc but I've seen the guy that flies around with the team be rather weak in the face of an aggressive coach. 

I guess it just draws a certain type of doc to take that position anyway.  And I have zero clue about GS doc.  I will say as much as everyone shit's on Kawhi - only he knows how he felt.  If his independent docs said don't play, fuck all the pressure everyone put on him because the team doc thought he was good to go.  Funny how I have not seen that brought up.  

I think you’re being too kind. team doctors are full blown sycophant jock sniffers.  I imagine even more so when they work for arrogant, fart huffing organizations who think they’re “light years ahead” of the rest of the league. I bet they get championship rings.

so, double fuck the Warriors.  Hope KD peaces and they never win another title. They actually did ruin the NBA this time.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Team doctors told KD he couldn’t make his injury any worse.  The “down 3-1 in the finals” medical opinion.

good call.

Pretty sure that was referenced when referring to Looneys injury. 

Edit: Im an idiot

Edited by Etexhorn13

4 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I think you’re being too kind. team doctors are full blown sycophant jock sniffers.  I imagine even more so when they work for arrogant, fart huffing organizations who think they’re “light years ahead” of the rest of the league. I bet they get championship rings.

so, double fuck the Warriors.  Hope KD peaces and they never win another title.

I didn't want to go there.  But yeah, you're right. 

I actually have done a full 180 on KD, and pretty damn fast.  Seeing the look on his face, seeing him grab his achilles (NOT calf) and the big one - the initial booing.  Man, I'll be a fan of the dude no matter where he ends up, which I hope is not fucking GS. 

3 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

good call.

Plenty of wiggle room for the medical staff.  They "felt" playing wouldn't make the injury worse, not they "know" playing wouldn't make the injury worse.  Also, original injury was supposedly to his calf, new injury is to his achilles.