Kevin Durant Longhorn Legend

Patrick Bateman

32 minutes ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

Kind of a pointless post but I noticed something kind of interesting to me.

I recently got back from a 6-week trip to India, Thailand and Japan. As an NBA fan, I paid particular attention to the black-market NBA jersey shops and NBA fanwear.

I noticed lots of people from China, Thailand, Europe, Australia, etc. wearing NBA stuff. But I only noticed the following jerseys in large numbers...

Jordan, James, Curry, Irving, Harden, Westbrook with some Greek freak, Kobe and Embiid. In the entire 6 weeks, I did not notice one product for Kevin Durant.

How in the world is Durant - arguably the best player in the world right now - playing second fiddle to these other players? When I was working in Thailand in 2014, Durant Thunder jerseys were pretty common in Asia. It's like the guy has taken a big step back despite the rings. What's going on here? 

He's still #8 worldwide last year.  He was #3 in 2017.  I don't think he has much to worry about.

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/04/25/top-merchandise-jersey-sales-2018-19-season-official-release

https://www.nba.com/article/2018/04/17/stephen-curry-golden-state-warriors-lead-most-popular-merchandise-list-2017-18

7 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Watching Golden State is interesting.  KD is playing extremely well yet the Warriors aren't dominant.  They're very good, but not dominant and it's because the other two offensive guys have become extremely inconsistent and they're one of the thinnest teams in the playoffs.  Draymond has actually raised his game in the playoffs, played really well and has arguably been the 2nd best player this run.  Also, you can see the Warriors have no bench.  Iggy is still bringing it which at his age is incredible but Klay continues to recede.  He'll score 40 one of these games and everyone will forget that his playoff PER is 12.3 right now.  His WS/48 .058.  That's gross.  Both are lower than league average, and this guy wants a max contract? 

I get that their big bench advantage was supposed to be Cousins but Shaun Livingston (a huge contributor to their first 3 runs) looks totally done.  Jordan Bell who was considered a draft day steal and supposed to take the next step this year looks like he's stepping out of the organization.  Quinn Cook?  Alfonzo McKinnie?  Stiffs.  You could sign any other G league star and get their production.  They're actually really lucky Bogut wanted to come back but he doesn't really work or matchup in the Houston series except to match up with Capela.  I'm getting a real Miami 2014 feel from them.  Maxing out Klay or Draymond or both is going to make it even tougher.  Personally, I think we've come to the end of the Warriors run unless they can somehow get an infusion of youth thru the draft or steal someone in a trade.  Curry is still great, he simply is inconsistent in crunch time, but KD is carrying them, which is ironic as as his detractors will erroneously claim he came to the Bay area for the free ride.  Again, the Warriors win 0 more titles without KD with Barnes and Bogut/big guy signed.  If I had to bet Warriors or the field even if KD comes back next year, it's easily the field. 

No more titles without Durant? Please. I hate the Warriors, but that’s one of the dumbest things I’ve seen on here in a while. 

people crush lebron and kd for joining/forming super teams, and then turn around and hold it against Iverson, Barkley, Stockton/Malone, etc for never winning it all. a lot fans are just miserable losers who need somebody to hate, and they're gonna find somebody to hate one way or another. nobody has ever won a title by himself; essentially every championship team was/is totally stacked; KD is unarguably the best player on the most talented team ever, a team that would not have won the last couple years without him; none of this matters to these people, and it never will. kinda pathetic tbh.

• Like 6

If Barkley had joined the Bulls, I would feel the same way about his rings. You just can’t see it through your burnt orange glasses and that’s fine. It’s also fine for people to have differing opinions.

• Like 2

Posters who are still butthurt that he didn't sign with their team, that's who. In this particular case, that's San Antonio.

This couldn’t be further from the truth and has been repeated since the beginning of this thread. Your burnt orange glasses are just as thick as Derka’s...and that’s fine too.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, cochamps said:

Lulz at people who hate him for picking GS.  Like he should stay in tornado alley with Westbrook?  Likely these are the same clowns who would deride him as a loser if he did so (a la Stockton & Malone).

except karl malone went chasing rings in los angeles.  and having never won one wasnt something people held against him - the reason why hes disliked is because hes one of the dirtiest fuckers to ever play basketball.

john stockton.  well...nobody likes a scrappy little white dude

Timely.  It appears some of the original team are getting a little tired of being "overshadowed".  Fuck the Warriors, but they did play some beautiful basketball 15-16.  It's not so fun to watch them anymore.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/report-klay-thompson-is-tired-of-receiving-crumbs-left-behind-by-other-people/ar-AAB2js9?li=BBnbfcL

17 minutes ago, Hate said:

Timely.  It appears some of the original team are getting a little tired of being "overshadowed".  Fuck the Warriors, but they did play some beautiful basketball 15-16.  It's not so fun to watch them anymore.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/report-klay-thompson-is-tired-of-receiving-crumbs-left-behind-by-other-people/ar-AAB2js9?li=BBnbfcL

Is this really a source though?

According to ESPN's Stephen A. Smith, Thompson isn't happy with his role and the number of touches he's been getting.

"I have not spoken to Klay Thompson, in fairness to Klay Thompson, let me be clear about that. I'm told Klay Thompson isn't happy, his number hasn't been called nearly enough, he's tired of sitting around and getting, quote-unquote - this is a quote - the crumbs left behind by other people."

50 minutes ago, MoJames said:

I dunno man, Stephen A. Smith is a lot of things, but I seriously doubt he doesn't do his research before he talks.

maxresdefault.jpg

SAS, when previewing the Chargers/Chiefs game last December: "For the San Diego Chargers (they're in LA) against the Chiefs I'm looking forward to Spencer Ware (he's injured, which Max Kellerman reminds him of)..."Oh that's right he's hurt. I'm looking forward to the matchup with Hunter Henry and the way he's played this year (Henry had been on IR the entire year) and Derrick Johnson (DJ had been signed and released by the Raiders and was a free agent who hadn't played for KC for a year)." 

So yeah. That's SAS for you. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

people crush lebron and kd for joining/forming super teams, and then turn around and hold it against Iverson, Barkley, Stockton/Malone, etc for never winning it all. 

Nice strawman. NBA fans I talk to acknowledge that AI/Barkley/Stockton/Malone are all time great players who didn't win it all because they played in the Jordan era, or never had a good enough team around them.

Edited by elguapo

1 hour ago, Hate said:

LOL.  C'mon man.... you out here trying to quote Stephen A Smith?  You're better than that.  He USG% for the season is higher than his career average.  His 18 FGA for the season were the highest of his career.  He's averaging over 16 shots in the Houston series, which is about his playoff career average.  His playoff USG% and FGA in the playoffs are slightly down but frankly, that's because he's been so fucking bad.  Hard to imagine that came from anyone reputable and if it did, he has nothing to complain about.  The playoff run he had the highest USG was the playoffs where they didn't win the championship.  Maybe he should try shooting over 39% if he wants more shots.

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

Nice strawman. NBA fans I talk to acknowledge that AI/Barkley/Stockton/Malone are all time great players who didn't win it all because they played in the Jordan era, or never had a good enough team around them.

my point is that people are going to hate on these guys no matter what they do. not everyone will, but it's going to happen no matter what. can't win either way.

9 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

my point is that people are going to hate on these guys no matter what they do. not everyone will, but it's going to happen no matter what. can't win either way.

The people of Philadelphia love Iverson (as much as any Philly fan loves anything), the fans of Utah love Stockton, I'm sure Suns fans look at Barkley with some affection but he did kind of force his way out of Philly and then to Houston chasing a ring. Thunder fans would have always loved Durant no matter what but that wasn't good enough for him, now no fanbase will ever love him unequivocally. 

This isn't all KDs fault, we've had an entire generation beating us over the head that the only thing that matters in an athletes career is championships, fuck everything else.

Edited by Michael Knight

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

The people of Philadelphia love Iverson (as much as any Philly fan loves anything), the fans of Utah love Stockton, I'm sure Suns fans look at Barkley with some affection but he did kind of force his way out of Philly and then to Houston chasing a ring. Thunder fans would have always loved Durant no matter what but that wasn't good enough for him, now no fanbase will ever love him unequivocally 

If Durant goes to the Knicks and delivers a ring, New Yorkers would elect him mayor for life.

LOL.  C'mon man.... you out here trying to quote Stephen A Smith?  You're better than that.  He USG% for the season is higher than his career average.  His 18 FGA for the season were the highest of his career.  He's averaging over 16 shots in the Houston series, which is about his playoff career average.  His playoff USG% and FGA in the playoffs are slightly down but frankly, that's because he's been so fucking bad.  Hard to imagine that came from anyone reputable and if it did, he has nothing to complain about.  The playoff run he had the highest USG was the playoffs where they didn't win the championship.  Maybe he should try shooting over 39% if he wants more shots.

I qualified it with “Stephen A is an assclown” and that it could be complete BS. I also said it would surprise me if it was true. We’ll see. I just have a feeling that Klay and Steph wouldn’t be too broken up if Durant leaves.

17 minutes ago, Hate said:

I qualified it with “Stephen A is an assclown” and that it could be complete BS. I also said it would surprise me if it was true. We’ll see. I just have a feeling that Klay and Steph wouldn’t be too broken up if Durant leaves.

Fair enough.... and FTR, the 3rd guys always have to sacrifice the most -- Allen, Bosh, Love, etc.  Maybe they're like our aggie here who wants to go back to the good ole Warrior days of Steph and Klay shooting all the time and 1st or 2nd round exits.  It's always tough to be really good at something and then understand that the new guy..... is better.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

They did win one title and should have won another with Klay and Steph shooting all the time. It’s not like it didn’t work out fairly well for them. And I meant to say it “wouldn’t” surprise me if it was true. Like I said, I don’t think Klay and Steph will be sad to see KD go.

I’ve been told the Warriors would be lucky to win a game without Durant. This whole goddamn thread is dedicated to the fact that Durant has carried them to the last 2 championships. I hate the Warriors, but I’ll bet right now without Durant that they win Game 6. And I fucking hate the Warriors.

1 minute ago, Hate said:

I’ve been told the Warriors would be lucky to win a game without Durant. This whole goddamn thread is dedicated to the fact that Durant has carried them to the last 2 championships. I hate the Warriors, but I’ll bet right now without Durant that they win Game 6. And I fucking hate the Warriors.

They finished strong and outscored Houston by 2 after KD went out. If Harrison Barnes was out there, I'd like their chances in Game 6. But they're down to 5 guys that Kerr trusts, and one of them is Kevon Looney. No one should feel sorry for them...terrible depth is the price of having four top 20ish players. But hard to see them winning the title (or this series) without KD. Just as they wouldn't without Steph.

9 minutes ago, Hate said:

Call your shot.  If KD is out the rest of the playoffs, do the Warriors win the championship?

On 5/7/2019 at 6:07 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

Fair enough.... and FTR, the 3rd guys always have to sacrifice the most -- Allen, Bosh, Love, etc.  Maybe they're like our aggie here who wants to go back to the good ole Warrior days of Steph and Klay shooting all the time and 1st or 2nd round exits.  It's always tough to be really good at something and then understand that the new guy..... is better.

I missed this the first time around.  You're projecting.  A lot.

1) Me looking forward to KD leaving in the offseason isn't about returning to the "good ol' days" or thinking they're better without KD (I'm not an idiot).  They may move the ball more (out of necessity), and thus be more aesthetically pleasing to watch, but they're not nearly as good.  The KD era in Golden State has just run its course.  It's not even KD's fault, but the constant attention and spotlight on the team combined with his, Dray, Boogie, and Iggy's personalities/ref-whining/drama has allowed the fatigue/annoyance factor to catch up to the level of basketball being played.  It's time for a change. 

2) As I pointed out in the series thread, the Warriors are 29-4 without KD since he joined the team when Steph plays.  That's with the likes of Matt Barnes, Patrick McCaw, Nick Young, and Alfonzo McKinnie patrolling the other wing.  Without KD, Steph is forced to play more like MVP Steph, and he usually responds.  He's got a couple of great years left in him.  They won't have many options to add a quality wing, but I'm certain that Bob Myers already has plans in place.  The playoffs are a different animal, obviously, when the pace slows and the ball tends to stick, but continue to put yourself in the top 2-3 seeds, and you give yourself a chance. 

3) It's also not just a Warriors thing.  KD leaving will likely put him on a franchise where he has to consistently carry the team like he had so far against the Rockets with Steph playing like ass.  He's awesome to watch when he's aggressively looking to score.  More year-round Steph and KD outbursts is a good thing for all basketball fans.  (Not sure how good a Knicks team would be even if their dream KD+KI scenario comes to fruition, but it will damn sure be fun to watch.)

4) The West, and likely the league, won't be as good next year.  Without KD, I'd put the Warriors in the group a notch below the Rockets in the West (and that's assuming that CP3 doesn't completely deteriorate).  Probably at the head of that group.  Portland and Denver are still young teams that don't play enough defense.  Utah if offensively challenged, and Gobert's defense becomes overrated in the playoffs when elite ball-handlers can target him in the PnR.  OKC is OKC.  San Antonio looks to be stuck in not-quite-bad-enough-for-a-lottery-pick land.  We'll see if the Clippers can land a superstar.  The Lakers are a mess.  Sure, Golden State could lose to one of those teams in the 1st or 2nd round if they play a bad series or suffer an injury.  Conversely, they can also get to the Finals again with a little luck.  You know, like any normal really good team.  In the East, the Sixers and Celtics could implode after their respective 2nd round exits.  Lowry can barely play anymore, even if Kawhi does stay in Canada.

So yeah, if you're asking me the Warriors or the field next year, I'm taking the field no question...but, outside of Milwaukee, there's probably not an individual team that I'd be willing to put money on ahead of Golden State.