THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

Just now, dcar00 said:

there is probably a 1 in 10 chance just because college football but Mich has throttled all their middling big 10 opponents sans Maryland.  Iowa has squeaked by in almost all their games to similar opponents.  The defense won't be able to hold out very long if at all and their O is abysmal as usual.

I expect a 30 point drubbing.

I just can't see Iowa scoring on offense. Their defense would need multiple scores to pull off an upset. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

it's kinda funny people think there is actually criteria they follow.

This was my argument last week and people got their balls in a tizzy. There are criteria they consider, and that does mean they have to abide by said criteria. The criteria they consider isn’t a rule or policy.

Essentially, they can do whatever the fuck they want. 

• Hook 'Em 6

12 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I have a kid at Oregon. I watch a lot of PAC-12 games.  I also grew up a Horn fan. 

If Oregon does what I think they are going to do on Friday, which is put the wood to a Washington team that had every break go their way in the first game, plus Dan Lanning unnecessarily going for it on 4th down and not doing th easy football thing (something Texas fans also have suffered under Sarkisian), and they win by 2+  TDs, y’all will need to absolute demolish Ok. St. to be in the conversation (barring a Michigan, FSU, or Georgia loss). A low scoring single digit win isn’t going to do the trick. It just isn’t. The committee is not going to jump you over an Oregon team that definitively beats an undefeated top 5 team in the CCG.

Rage about it all you want. I will completely give you that the beauty contest is unfair and bullshit. It’s an excellent argument for going to 8 teams. Lanning has been anticipating this and has been very slow to pull starters in blowouts.But be realistic. If it comes down to a beauty contest, your win against Ok. St has to look like Tech and not Iowa State. 

Now maybe Penix will go ham and Lanning will shit the bed, but we are different from A&M in being rational about who we are and what we are looking at 

I agree that Oregon is going to clobber Washington and if we barely beat Okie Lite we have a problem. However, don't underestimate what we did to Tech last Friday - that's the Pac 12's best non conference win and it doesn't look very good. That said, Oregon's one loss was on the road to a team they would have just beat and we'd have no chance to rectify our loss to OU. 

So I understand why Oregon might get in over us should we both win. It's very close though and not the foregone conclusion everyone makes it out to be.

The other thing is I don't understand why everyone thinks Georgia is in no matter what. Their best win is at home over Ole Miss. Their non-conference schedule is a joke. They aren't getting the benefit of the doubt if they lose next week. (they probably beat Bama regardless so this is likely moot)

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

To a degree, the PAC 12 championship game sorta doesn’t apply to Texas. If the Huskies win, they are in the playoffs. If Oregon wins, they are probably in (barring an uninspiring performance and a monster Texas win). 

Many feel that an Oregon victory still gives us a chance due to the many factors that have been previously mentioned.  So in that regard, The PAC CCG absolutely applies to Texas.  It may seem an insurmountable hill to climb if it comes down to Oregon and Texas for the last spot, but stranger things have happened.  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I agree that Oregon is going to clobber Washington and if we barely beat Okie Lite we have a problem. However, don't underestimate what we did to Tech last Friday - that's the Pac 12's best non conference win and it doesn't look very good. That said, Oregon's one loss was on the road to a team they would have just beat and we'd have no chance to rectify our loss to OU. 

So I understand why Oregon might get in over us should we both win. It's very close though and not the foregone conclusion everyone makes it out to be.

The other thing is I don't understand why everyone thinks Georgia is in no matter what. Their best win is at home over Ole Miss. Their non-conference schedule is a joke. They aren't getting the benefit of the doubt if they lose next week. (they probably beat Bama regardless so this is likely moot)

SECSECSEC and all that puke.

I do think Texas might be the most dangerous team in a playoff with that defense.  And that is probably the best argument for Texas jumping any and all 1 loss teams, including Oregon. I just don’t think the Committee goes to that level of 3D chess.

7 minutes ago, The Dog said:

We make it a foregone conclusion to help with the pain. Also, first things first, lets beat OSU and celebrate it like nothing else matters. As far as the CFP I like others will be watching and hoping all day.

B4Ng4hpIIAAy7GF.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I don't think they are in no matter what but committee is going to want 2 time champ to have their shot(even if they blow their shot against Bama)

It would be good to have only conf champs in, considering the field is very strong and it is the last year of the 4 team but SECSECSEC bias is real*

*caveat - except when considering Texas' win against SECSECSEC Bama on the road.  

It will be funny seeing them spin our win against Bama as not as good as Oregon's win against Wash.

17 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

H2H matters only if other things are equal. If Bama wins the SEC they would have a better SOS and the committee won't hesitate to put them above us. We are putting too much weight o H2H imo.

Wait, are you seeing this somewhere or is this just your opinion?

Because that seems backwards. We go to things like SOS, comparable opponents, margin of victory, etc., when we DON'T have a H2H to determine who's better.

Otherwise, you're arguing that the best way to determine who is a better team is not have the teams play, but to use other metrics. Or, similarly, the argument allows one to put forth that the winner of the NC game may not be the better team because the losing team had a harder SOS.

21 minutes ago, Pancho said:

This was my argument last week and people got their balls in a tizzy. There are criteria they consider, and that does mean they have to abide by said criteria. The criteria they consider isn’t a rule or policy.

I argued with this response, because it's silly. The guidelines aren't lip service, they're guidelines. The may not be dispositive, but they are relevant. The committee will not just do whatever they want without looking at them. You can talk conspiracies all you want, but the members have an ethical duty (if not a good faith obligation or even a contractual mandate) to follow their own guidelines. Only a fool would stand up in front of their colleagues and just throw them out. Maybe one crooked asshole would be prepared to sacrifice their reputation for it, but not all of them. It's politics, essentially. They will at least make sure it's a toss up or close, based on their guidelines, before their biases come into play.

Edited by mwaadeeb
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, The Dog said:

They are a 2-time defending champion that has won something crazy like 45 out of their last 46 games. Yes, each season is different, but would be hard to leave them out.
Look, no one knows for certain what the committee will do… but as a Texas fan that has watched our possible avenues to the CFP get slimmer each week as we get chalky results, I personally think the bama beating uga scenario makes it even harder. No one knows for certain though because humans are involved, and anyone saying otherwise is just your typical message board tough guy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

Wait, are you seeing this somewhere or is this just your opinion?

Because that seems backwards. We go to things like SOS, comparable opponents, margin of victory, etc., when we DON'T have a H2H to determine who's better.

Otherwise, you're arguing that the best way to determine who is a better team is not have the teams play, but to use other metrics. Or, similarly, the argument allows one to put forth that the winner of the NC game may not be the better team because the losing team had a harder SOS.

I am looking at the below except from the CFP guidelines. They put SOS above H2H. Bama will have more ranked wins, higher quality loss, and better overall SOS if they were to beat UGA and won the SEC. I think they will be a shoe in.

Screenshot_20231126_091615_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b6fb36bbf4e7af477c999e283617f0fa.jpg

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I am looking at the below except from the CFP guidelines. They put SOS above H2H. Bama will have more ranked wins, higher quality loss, and better overall SOS if they were to beat UGA and won the SEC. I think they will be a shoe in.

Screenshot_20231126_091615_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b6fb36bbf4e7af477c999e283617f0fa.jpg

I don't read that as the criteria being listed in order of importance, but it certainly does allow them room to decide that SOS is more important than H2H

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It was made clear the very first year when they put the big brand in over the small Texas religious schools

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

I argued with this response, because it's silly. You can talk conspiracies all you want, but the committee members have an ethical duty (if not a good faith obligation or even a contractual mandate) to follow their own guidelines. Only a fool would stand up in front of their colleagues and throw out the guidelines. And maybe there's one, but not all them, who's prepared to sacrifice their reputation for it. It's politics, essentially. They will at least make sure it's a toss up or close before their biases come into play. The guidelines aren't lip service, they're guidelines. The may not be dispositive, but they are relevant. The committee will not just do whatever they want without looking at them. 

The problem with your lapse in logic is no one here is stating they believe there is a conspiracy. Only you are thinking that. 

If you think what I wrote means I believe there is a conspiracy, then you're a fucking idiot. 

If Texas doesn't get in, I will not believe it to be because of a conspiracy. It will be because of subjectiveness--that, in and of itself--does not imply conspiracy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I have a kid at Oregon. I watch a lot of PAC-12 games.  I also grew up a Horn fan. 

If Oregon does what I think they are going to do on Friday, which is put the wood to a Washington team that had every break go their way in the first game, plus Dan Lanning unnecessarily going for it on 4th down and not doing th easy football thing (something Texas fans also have suffered under Sarkisian), and they win by 2+  TDs, y’all will need to absolute demolish Ok. St. to be in the conversation (barring a Michigan, FSU, or Georgia loss). A low scoring single digit win isn’t going to do the trick. It just isn’t. The committee is not going to jump you over an Oregon team that definitively beats an undefeated top 5 team in the CCG.

Rage about it all you want. I will completely give you that the beauty contest is unfair and bullshit. It’s an excellent argument for going to 8 teams. Lanning has been anticipating this and has been very slow to pull starters in blowouts.But be realistic. If it comes down to a beauty contest, your win against Ok. St has to look like Tech and not Iowa State. 

Now maybe Penix will go ham and Lanning will shit the bed, but we are different from A&M in being rational about who we are and what we are looking at 

f40f47ab-ce75-4f11-8f01-d9aa6ace14b4.thumb.jpg.a8579c3b231212d1f9fcc1e2a03bc9e1.jpg

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Exactly.  It’s as easy as “We considered X, but ultimately though we determined that Y was the stronger factor in putting Z school in the playoffs.

Reporter: But, why?

Committee lead:  Because fuck you.  That’s why.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, blutow said:

That would be great for Texas, but how does bama jump Oregon and Texas after barely surviving a terrible Auburn team while Texas and Oregon had strong games?  

Because both have much better SOS. That is part of the criteria. Based on their criteria it should probably look like this: OSU, Texas, Bama, and then Oregon.. People would freak out about OSU being the  top 1 loss team, but if the others won a championship they would jump OSU the next week based on the criteria. 

33 minutes ago, Pancho said:

The problem with your lapse in logic is no one here is stating they believe there is a conspiracy. Only you are thinking that. 

If you think what I wrote means I believe there is a conspiracy, then you're a fucking idiot. 

If Texas doesn't get in, I will not believe it to be because of a conspiracy. It will be because of subjectiveness--that, in and of itself--does not imply conspiracy. 

If you think the committee will ignore their own guidelines to do what they want, you're believing in a conspiracy amongst the board to ignore their own guidelines, since they would have to agree. I'm sorry you can't see that, and that you would embarrass yourself by calling the wrong person an idiot. But forget the "conspiracy" angle. The larger point is that you are wrong, you have always been wrong, and you continue to be wrong. If you had ever served the board of a decent sized non-profit, you would know that.

Edited by mwaadeeb

Just now, 89Horn said:

Exactly.  It’s as easy as “We considered X, but ultimately though we determined that Y was the stronger factor in putting Z school in the playoffs.

The Office Thank You GIF

That's exactly what consideration means: "yes, we took that into consideration (we thought about it) but ultimately we though something else was stronger"

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I think Missouri is headed to the Peach Bowl

We would get something like Ohio State or Tulane in the Cotton Bowl, most likely Tulane. 

I'd imagine the Fiesta will get a Rose Bowl type matchup with Washington/Oregon and Ohio State. Cotton Bowl gets a Sugar Bowl matchup of SEC/Big 12. I'd love to be wrong and not have to play an SEC team since we're about to go do that. Also saw Penn State as an option. That's fine. Us drawing the no-win scenario of Tulane is less than ideal but everyone will be playing minus some of the seniors with first round potential like Sweat. 

Edited by mdmost

3 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

If you think the committee will ignore their own guidelines to do what they want, you're believing in a conspiracy amongst the board to ignore their own guidelines, since they would have to agree. I'm sorry you can't see that, and that you would embarrass yourself by calling the wrong person an idiot. But forget the "conspiracy" angle. The larger point is that you are wrong. If you had ever served on a non-profit board, you would know that.

why is Oregon still over Texas?

3 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

If you think the committee will ignore their own guidelines to do what they want, you're believing in a conspiracy amongst the board to ignore their own guidelines, since they would have to agree. I'm sorry you can't see that, and that you would embarrass yourself by calling the wrong person an idiot. But forget the "conspiracy" angle. The larger point is that you are wrong. If you had ever served on a non-profit board, you would know that.

I don't have to have served on a non-profit board lol. What the fuck? Is that your criteria for determining how everyone here is wrong and you are right? You need help. 

No one is saying the committee will ignore their guidelines. The committee will consider their considerations and then make a decision. You're just not comprehending, and that's okay. You don't understand--just admit it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, oh_snap said:

They are a 2-time defending champion that has won something crazy like 45 out of their last 46 games. Yes, each season is different, but would be hard to leave them out.
Look, no one knows for certain what the committee will do… but as a Texas fan that has watched our possible avenues to the CFP get slimmer each week as we get chalky results, I personally think the bama beating uga scenario makes it even harder. No one knows for certain though because humans are involved, and anyone saying otherwise is just your typical message board tough guy. 

If they want a chance to prove that they are the best team in the country, then they should show that they are the best team in their conference by beating Alabama...like we did.  Hell, they won't even have to do it in Tuscaloosa.  

11 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I don't have to have served on a non-profit board lol. What the fuck? Is that your criteria for determining how everyone here is wrong and you are right? You need help. 

No one is saying the committee will ignore their guidelines. The committee will consider their considerations and then make a decision. You're just not comprehending, and that's okay. You don't understand--just admit it.  

You've said over and over again that the committee will throw out their guidelines and do whatever they want. Don't lie. 

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

You've said over and over again that the committee will throw out their guidelines and do whatever they want. Don't lie. 

I'm not sure anyone is saying they are totally ignoring that stuff, just that guidelines are squishy at best.  

image.jpeg.b4cefa324803a9fd2e4131c5f6a01e59.jpeg

8 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

No I didn’t. I never once used the words “throw” “out” or “guidelines”

You seriously do not comprehend this, and that’s fine. 

I said they must consider certain criteria because that’s exactly what it says on their website. That doesn't’ mean they have to abide by that. It just means they must take it under consideration. 

6 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

Yes they have guidelines, but it’s not like they return a grading rubric after they are done. They send out their top 25 and give generic and contradictory answers to Rece Davis each week about why they ranked certain teams where. In the end they will rank the teams how they see fit, including the posted guidelines, but it’s really just a black box of whatever reasoning they want to justify how they view the teams.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Yes they have guidelines, but it’s not like they return a grading rubric after they are done. They send out their top 25 and give generic and contradictory answers to Rece Davis each week about why they ranked certain teams where. In the end they will rank the teams how they see fit, including the posted guidelines, but it’s really just a black box of whatever reasoning they want to justify how they view the teams.

I want to see FSU lose #1 and Bama win #2. Texas will need Bama to win to boost its resume.

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

I want to see FSU lose #1 and Bama win #2. Texas will need Bama to win to boost its resume.

It's more likely in your scenario that Georgia goes in. "Well they're lone loss was late in the season to Bama and Texas got Bama when it wasn't the same Bama team". We only need FSU to lose and us to beat oSu to be in. Form needs to hold on everything else save Iowa pulling a miracle. 

I don't want to see people in game threads rooting for the wrong team.  This is what we want in order of importance:

1) Texas win

11) Louisville win

12) Alabama win

13) Iowa win

14) Oregon win (maximum chaos), unless one of the above is an upset, then Washington win (to eliminate Oregon)

---

I'm interested to see where the committee puts Ohio State this week.

Also, this week's and previous weeks rankings are meaningless wrt to exact order.  The committee has shown that they will buckle down for the final rankings and move teams around as they see fit.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It's more likely in your scenario that Georgia goes in. "Well they're lone loss was late in the season to Bama and Texas got Bama when it wasn't the same Bama team". We only need FSU to lose and us to beat oSu to be in. Form needs to hold on everything else save Iowa pulling a miracle. 

The committee could make a completely ridiculous ruling. I can’t stop that. There is 1 known in all of this, Texas won’t jump an undefeated team. That would lead most logical people to root against all the undefeated teams. If it comes to a beauty pageant beating the SEC champ would be helpful. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]