Texas Rangers Offseason 2023-2024

ztejas

20 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:

Would take away a lot of roster flexibility to have a true full time DH that can’t do anything else next year. But then again it is Japanese Babe Ruth.

If it were the only massive investment the Rangers had, OK. But I'm not sure it is a good move for where the Rangers are now. I would rather have more consistent bats all through the lineup, a much better bullpen, and some younger starters with star potential that could be coming up through the ranks. It takes more guys to have a great team than one MVP shoe-in that couldn't get his team remotely close to a playoff spot. It might get them back next year, but It think they should be looking for something more sustainable long term.

Edited by DougO

The biggest concern with Ohtani is this is his second TJ. The recovery odds go way down. 

Obviously he can still be a HOF level hitter but if you’re paying half a billion, you’re expecting a two way player. 

I wonder if he could transition to a closer in the next part of his career and cut down on innings. 

2 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Can’t underestimate the added revenue from signing a player like Shohei. There will be a post-WS windfall anyway, but you add Japanese Babe and you’ve got a whole other rev engine. 

Also- what’s the contract status with Max? I thought he was back next year but can’t find info on it. 

This ownership group has felt that impact from the Yu singing. I saw it firsthand when I watched a lady zoom in her camera and proceed to take pictures of Yu the whole game on his off day. Lol. 

Post championship we're gonna go over 3 million in attendance and could push 3.5+ with Ohtani. 

I don't think I've ever written an essay about you and my feelings weren't hurt. I had no doubt that you would still be the same thread policing asshole you always are. But at least you're now a World Series Champion thread policing asshole. So cheers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

I don't think I've ever written an essay about you and my feelings weren't hurt. I had no doubt that you would still be the same thread policing asshole you always are. But at least you're now a World Series Champion thread policing asshole. So cheers. 

Some people aren't happy unless they aren't happy.

• Like 2

But seriously why be a jerk? We all like the same team and want them to win and enjoy rooting for them and talking about them. Unless you just only want a certain baseball type fan on this thread for….reasons?, I don’t really get the intolerance.

Think of it like if we were all sitting at a bar talking about the team. Yea there would be some drunk people who just started watching baseball yesterday with a crazy opinion or stupid question from time to time, but you just ignore them. You don’t smash them over the head with an empty beer bottle.

23 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

But seriously why be a jerk? We all like the same team and want them to win and enjoy rooting for them and talking about them. Unless you just only want a certain baseball type fan on this thread for….reasons?, I don’t really get the intolerance.

Think of it like if we were all sitting at a bar talking about the team. Yea there would be some drunk people who just started watching baseball yesterday with a crazy opinion or stupid question from time to time, but you just ignore them. You don’t smash them over the head with an empty beer bottle.

Maybe we should get a Texas Rangers version of an Ag tag. And then set up a forum for only the "special" Ranger fans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hader is a selfish prick that refuses to pitch 4 outs or 3 days in a row 
Would be great to bring in someone thats never won shit to tell Bochy how to manage him

I think that would change quickly if he came here. Bochy’s teams are exactly that, TEAMS. Teams that pick each other up and even hold each other accountable.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

if anybody has an athletic sub to poat the whole thing that'd be appreciated. 

I think Bowden is 2/3rds dumb ass but I hope he's right

Here's the article.

Spoiler
Triple-A ballpark, which is upgraded to serve as their home until a new major-league stadium is built.
20. MLB begins more concrete discussions about expansion but specifies that it won’t happen for at least five to seven years. Nashville, Charlotte and Montreal become the early favorites to land new franchises. The league plans to have four divisions of four teams in each league.
21. MLB approves the Automated Ball-Strike System with a challenge format for the 2024 season.
22. Shohei Ohtani and Ronald Acuña Jr. are named the MVPs of their respective leagues.
23. Gerrit Cole and Blake Snell are named Cy Young Award winners.
24. Gunnar Henderson and Corbin Carroll take home Rookie of the Year honors.
(Top photo of Shohei Ohtani: John McCoy / Getty Images)

Shit hold on. I'll fix it.

Click here instead

https://archive.ph/kIIIq

Edited by Post Oak
  • Hook 'Em 1

your q made me click around on bbref a bit on ranger great ted williams.  In 1947 led the league in WAR, R, HR, RBI, BB, BA, OBP (by a hundred points), SLG (by a hundred points), OPS (by, of course, two hundred points).  got the same number of first place votes as the third highest yankee george mcquinn.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/awards_1947.shtml#all_AL_MVP_voting

10 clubs as potential ohtani suitors, says bowden, plus yankee and angels

https://theathletic.com/5037680/2023/11/07/ohtani-free-agency-top-12-fits/

Texas Rangers

The World Series champions are poised to be even better next year. But they stand to lose Mitch Garver, their primary DH down the stretch, to free agency. Ohtani would give a lineup that tied for the AL lead in home runs an epic boost, perhaps hitting cleanup behind Marcus Semien, Corey Seager and Adolis García. From a pitching perspective, the Rangers may elect to add a starter this winter but could stand pat. Ohtani can eventually replace Max Scherzer, whose contract expires after 2024. Ohtani would be a lift to every team on this list, but putting him in the heart of the Rangers’ order seems borderline unfair, regardless of what he might ultimately give them as a pitcher. But as much as money does not seem to be an object for owner Ray Davis, the Rangers are already committed to Seager through 2031, Semien through 2028, and Jacob deGrom is signed through 2027 with a club option for 2028. Ohtani would essentially guarantee years of steep luxury tax payments and the Rangers being unable to keep some of their complementary talent in the long term. So here is an interesting question: Is the pursuit of a dynasty worth adding another veteran with a history of arm issues to that big-money mix?

15 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Ray Davis doesn’t buy green bananas. I’d rather he kept spending money on the team than give it to his grandkids. 

I get that but this seems more of a move if we were trying to get over the hump. We just won it all and could be even better this year with our core having that experience. This would be a massive contract for a guy that just had his 2nd TJ surgery. That makes it even more difficult to recover from. His value drops if he can't pitch every 5 days. Do we really need a very expensive DH?

Edited by Vic Mackey