Justified

AustinMT

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

started this thread a couple weeks ago...

and couldn't even get a bite.  figured at least @BigOrange1 would've surfaced.

i've since finished the show.  ended strong, but i agree, parts of s4/s5 were probably the low point.  when you're in binge mode, some of the stories in those seasons got pretty repetitive and predictable.

not in my top 10, but a solid watch.

show made me drink even more bourbon...

"On this lonely road,

tryin ta make it home . . ."

Shit they had me from the first chord of that dobro.  The fantastic series was a wonderful surprise.  Did a pretty good job of making SoCal look like Eastern Kentucky.  The Elmore Leonard actual and EL-inspired dialogue was Coenesque (or was it the other way around?).  Anyway, send us more like Deadwood, Justified, No Country For Old Men and True Grit (2010).

• Like 1

Yes, Raylan Givens was in a short story and a couple of novels.  After the show got popular, he also wrote an additional novel called Raylan.  They're all really good but I'm a fan of everything Leonard ever wrote.  Boyd was in the short story only and died at the end.  The story goes that Goggins was so good in the early episodes that they decided not to kill him off but kept him around for the whole series.

You can have Ava, as it leave more Winona for me.

Regarding Goggins, I've read he was supposed to die in episode 1, and Justified was to be more of a procedural, serial show. (The 1st half of season 1 was.) Then Goggins comes in and before the 1st episode was done taping they said, "Yeah we need to keep this guy." Dude's a boss.

18 hours ago, RPM said:

She had her own Elmore Leonard series before Justified called Karen Sisco. Worth a watch.

Oh yeah, is that the character from Out of Sight that JLo played in the movie?

One thing that I really liked about the first two seasons is that the writers didn’t rely on stupid plot devices, and whenever the criminals did something dumb they usually got called on it. That seems to be fading some in season three. 

Still amazed by the number of recognizable actors in this. I’ve counted three Band of Brothers so far, Roach from Point Break, Private Upham, Needle Nosed Ned Ryerson, Bubba Gump, a couple of Deadwood regulars, and many many more. And I’m only on season 3. 

It's one of my top 10. Wife and I both loved it. Agree - like almost every show - later seasons were not as good, but still a great show. I think Raylen is cool and Olyphant does a great job. Two of my favorite lines the I regularly quote are the "asshole" speech and "dicks, dicks, dicks."

Season 4 is widely considered the weakest, and maybe it is.  But I'll say the Crowe's are intriguing in that they have no ulterior motive.  Mags Bennett wanted to get rich and leave.  Robert Quarles was running from himself.  Drew Thompson was hiding from EVERYONE.  Daryl Crowe only wanted to be pure, white, trash.  (ie, a Floridian)  That makes him dangerous.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...