PSA: Fall back tonight

bernorange

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

I think our timezones are about as good as they can get.  The Central Timezone could use some tweaking.  It's insane to have parts of Western Texas (save for El Paso) and Western North Dakota in the same timezone as most of the Florida panhandle.  But there's nobody in those two places, so who gives a shit?  

I think we eventually have to come to some kinda balance with DST/Standard. Plus 3 of our states still don't uniformly adopt it.  And it also makes international calls/travel have another level of bullshit.  But we're a big country, we get six timezones.  I think we earned it.  But I remember growing up in Chicago and twice a year, my father's trucking terminal was a fucking shitshow because nobody knew what the fuck time it was in a huge chunk of Indiana.  Lotta Old Style beer infused brawls ensued those days in Michigan City.  Which, spoiler alert, is not in Michigan.  And parts of the city, where the terminal was, did not observe DST and some of the area did.  Fucking insanity.  Don't get me started on Arizona, the Florida of the West.  But Hawaii can do its jam, I'm cool with all that sunshine however they wanna mark it.

We should only have one timezone, where it's always Miller Time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/5/2023 at 11:03 AM, South Austin said:

Yeah, my daughter is going to the Pacific Northwest for college and she’s in for quite an adjustment.

Long story but I lived up there for 25 years before getting back to Texas in '09. 

Have her get the right clothes. Marino wool, gortex, dress in layers and GET OUTSIDE no matter what.

Go hiking, running, even cycling in the winter. Having the right gear means it doesn't matter how shitty the weather is,....and 40 degrees and drizzle for 5-9 months is shitty. Seasonal Affective Disorder is a real deal up there and you beat it by getting outside even if it is just for a bit. Chase the sun by getting into the mountains or going to the east side of the state or even better, a quick trip weekend to Cali in February (we did this when Augie would bring the baseball team to play Stanford or one of the San Diego schools). 

Great Indian summers in August-October, but the winters can be harsh. Best of luck to her up there and with school.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Long story but I lived up there for 25 years before getting back to Texas in '09. 

Have her get the right clothes. Marino wool, gortex, dress in layers and GET OUTSIDE no matter what.

Go hiking, running, even cycling in the winter. Having the right gear means it doesn't matter how shitty the weather is,....and 40 degrees and drizzle for 5-9 months is shitty. Seasonal Affective Disorder is a real deal up there and you beat it by getting outside even if it is just for a bit. Chase the sun by getting into the mountains or going to the east side of the state or even better, a quick trip weekend to Cali in February (we did this when Augie would bring the baseball team to play Stanford or one of the San Diego schools). 

Great Indian summers in August-October, but the winters can be harsh. Best of luck to her up there and with school.

Thanks.  Have heard plenty others give that advice, along with making sure she takes a Vitamin D supplement.

I've only been to Oregon once, the Willamette Valley in May, and the weather was picture perfect.  I've been to Seattle four times, but only once in the winter and it drizzled off and on the whole time.  I've heard the fall/winter rain in Seattle is more bearable than in Oregon.  

14 minutes ago, South Austin said:

making sure she takes a Vitamin D supplement.

I know. But you do know where you are posting?

I got to witness what a couple hundred grand worth of aggy engineering degrees and fall back does to the mind this weekend at deer camp. When one ME PE brother woke up the entire camper (other CE PE brother and kids) at 0415, because maths iz hard*  Very nice and delightful at 0515 when I strolled into the camp house for some coffee.  

*we did drink a bunch of whiskey tho, so partial pass given.  Then again that extra hour was money. 

37 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Thanks.  Have heard plenty others give that advice, along with making sure she takes a Vitamin D supplement.

I've only been to Oregon once, the Willamette Valley in May, and the weather was picture perfect.  I've been to Seattle four times, but only once in the winter and it drizzled off and on the whole time.  I've heard the fall/winter rain in Seattle is more bearable than in Oregon.  

I can help with vitamin d.  Nom sayin 

The most common argument FOR standard time (or switching to standard time in the fall) is kids (especially northerners) shouldn’t have to get on the bus in the dark. Counterpoints:

1. Is it better that they get off the bus in the afternoon in the dark and have zero daylight to play with friends after school?

2. By December it’s dark until after 8am up north so it will be dark in the morning anyway. 

I am Team permanent DST; during the winter I’ll take that hour of sunlight in the evening over wake up time. 

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The most common argument FOR standard time (or switching to standard time in the fall) is kids (especially northerners) shouldn’t have to get on the bus in the dark. Counterpoints:

1. Is it better that they get off the bus in the afternoon in the dark and have zero daylight to play with friends after school?

2. By December it’s dark until after 8am up north so it will be dark in the morning anyway. 

I am Team permanent DST; during the winter I’ll take that hour of sunlight in the evening over wake up time. 

Or you could move to a lower latitude. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I think our timezones are about as good as they can get.  The Central Timezone could use some tweaking.  It's insane to have parts of Western Texas (save for El Paso) and Western North Dakota in the same timezone as most of the Florida panhandle.  But there's nobody in those two places, so who gives a shit?  

I think we eventually have to come to some kinda balance with DST/Standard. Plus 3 of our states still don't uniformly adopt it.  And it also makes international calls/travel have another level of bullshit.  But we're a big country, we get six timezones.  I think we earned it.  But I remember growing up in Chicago and twice a year, my father's trucking terminal was a fucking shitshow because nobody knew what the fuck time it was in a huge chunk of Indiana.  Lotta Old Style beer infused brawls ensued those days in Michigan City.  Which, spoiler alert, is not in Michigan.  And parts of the city, where the terminal was, did not observe DST and some of the area did.  Fucking insanity.  Don't get me started on Arizona, the Florida of the West.  But Hawaii can do its jam, I'm cool with all that sunshine however they wanna mark it.

The idea of scheduling flights or trains or deliveries or anything when dealing with Indianapolis and Arizona makes my head explode.  I do not envy whoever has to figure that shit out.

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

The idea of scheduling flights or trains or deliveries or anything when dealing with Indianapolis and Arizona makes my head explode.  I do not envy whoever has to figure that shit out.

Solution: don't have anything to do with Indiana or Arizona.

It's really the right thing to do.  For a jillion reasons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

All this Indiana talk when Indiana began participating in DST 17 years ago is odd.

It’s a thread discussing the history of DST. 2006 Indiana was bound to come up at some point.  It’s okay, you’re young—-you’ll bounce back frOm this.