PSA: Fall back tonight

bernorange

Actually the best would be to roll with standard time.  We don't need it to be daylight until 9 something at night in the summer (or later the farther north you get). 8:30 for it to get dark is fine, giving most people plenty of time after the standard type work days to get shit done with daylight. And while you may like it being sunny outside later your sleep cycle doesn't and people not getting enough rest is an underrated big problem in our society that has massive cost implications across a range of things.   

The other problem with DST all the time is that by December/January the sun wouldn't be up until 8:30 in the morning a lot of places and again even later the further north you get.  We don't need more tired ass mofos out driving in the dark trying to get to work....already have more than enough with the current system.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Actually the best would be to roll with standard time.  We don't need it to be daylight until 9 something at night in the summer (or later the farther north you get). 8:30 for it to get dark is fine, giving most people plenty of time after the standard type work days to get shit done with daylight. And while you may like it being sunny outside later your sleep cycle doesn't and people not getting enough rest is an underrated big problem in our society that has massive cost implications across a range of things.   

The other problem with DST all the time is that by December/January the sun wouldn't be up until 8:30 in the morning a lot of places and again even later the further north you get.  We don't need more tired ass mofos out driving in the dark trying to get to work....already have more than enough with the current system.

I don’t know which is which.  I do know that starting tomorrow, the sun will be coming up when I walk my dogs, so I don’t have to walk them in pitch darkness anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don’t know which is which.  I do know that starting tomorrow, the sun will be coming up when I walk my dogs, so I don’t have to walk them in pitch darkness anymore. 

Tomorrow is the start of standard time, which I always find funny since they messed with the timing changes however long ago we spend a significantly shorter period of our year (early November to early March) in "standard" time than we do in daylight savings time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

So since I was 8 I’ve written to every President and I only got one signed letter (which I saved) about this daylight saving bs. Apparently, it has to do with some 1966 Act. At any rate the Texas Legislature voted to do away with it. I cherish my one letter. It probably wasn’t really signed but who cares. I wish we’d leave it alone but getting an extra hour is cool. 

• Like 2

DST for life here.  Getting dark at 4:15 pm in the north/midwest on a winter day is depressing as fuck and frankly unAmerican.  

Growing up in Chicago, it was depressing as the short days were mostly cloudy then to get dark at 4 poured gasoline on the depression fire.

11 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

So since I was 8 I’ve written to every President and I only got one signed letter (which I saved) about this daylight saving bs. Apparently, it has to do with some 1966 Act. At any rate the Texas Legislature voted to do away with it. I cherish my one letter. It probably wasn’t really signed but who cares. I wish we’d leave it alone but getting an extra hour is cool. 

Bill Clinton probably wouldn't have signed it if you hadn't enclosed a photo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

You just made the list of Big Time Change.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Some of you all crack me up with this "shorter day" shit.  The revolution, rotation and tilt of Earth don't give a shit about where we set our clocks.  If you don't want days with limited sunlight move to the fucking equator.

It's all the lazy fuckers who sleep in that bitch about their days being shorter. 

Dogs woke me up at 3 am instead of 4 today. I got all the daylight.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, my daughter is going to the Pacific Northwest for college and she’s in for quite an adjustment.

yeah, I live in Portland metro, and winters suck-  driving to work in the dark and coming home in the dark, plus it's rainy and all that. But the summers are awesome. Long summer evenings with plenty of daylight. Decent summer temps, no 4 consecutive months of 110 degree temperatures every day. So it balances out. 

I'm fascinated by how many people seem to think the days being shorter has anything to do with getting back on standard time.  Humor Boomer GIF

Study after study has shown how shitty DST is for all kinds of reasons, particularly as it applies to our health.  I can understand why degenerate drunks prefer it to be dark in the morning when everyone else is headed to work, and I was very much on that team for a long stretch before I grew up and became boring.  I'm not sure these are the voices that should be determining policy.  

I have no sympathy for the assholes who want to mow their yard at 9:00 at night when everyone else is trying to relax.  Get off your ass and do it in the morning or wait till the weekend.  Better yet - xeriscape your yard and don't bother with it at all.  It's the exact same amount of daylight hours no matter what we do, so sort yourself out.  We may as well have the clocks set in a manner that benefits everyone's health and safety, and if nothing else caters to those functional adults who keep the lights on for the rest of the world when it gets dark (at whatever time).  My friends the degenerates will find a way to manage.  They always do.

Then we should either pick one and go with it or have the two changes be six months apart, instead of four, like they were for decades.  But move the switches from Oct/Nov & Mar/Apr to the two equinoxes, which is actually something uniform everybody can agree on.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Then we should either pick one and go with it or have the two changes be six months apart, instead of four, like they were for decades.  But move the switches from Oct/Nov & Mar/Apr to the two equinoxes, which is actually something uniform everybody can agree on.  

LMAO - 
there is a better chance of solving climate change, or racial/gender/religious biases then picking 1 way to do time zones.
The largest Communist counry (by population) has 1 time zone - think about that, they are all UTC =8
And India is also 1 time zone and it is UTC+5.5 (yeah that is right they picked a half hour difference from anyone else
half hour off time zones include - Irans, Afghanistan, Australia, Venezueal and Newfoundland (but not all of Canada)

But here in the good old USA the hot topic is daylight saving time - and I will use Michigan as an example, the majority want to stop changing time something like 70-75% favor that; but half want no daylight saving time, and half want only daylight savings time (those are the enlighted one - IMO) so the polling breaks down like this
30% - keep changing 
35% - only DST
35% - only Standard Time

this crosses all party lines and industries, agriculture, tourism, education, manufacturing, etc  - I don't think they will ever settle it. 
And me (living in a northern state, on the western edge of the time zone), I enjoy playing golf past 10 pm for weeks in the summer, being at the beach, and my July 4th fireworks around  10:30

Spoiler

Screenshot-2023-11-06-131323

I think our timezones are about as good as they can get.  The Central Timezone could use some tweaking.  It's insane to have parts of Western Texas (save for El Paso) and Western North Dakota in the same timezone as most of the Florida panhandle.  But there's nobody in those two places, so who gives a shit?  

I think we eventually have to come to some kinda balance with DST/Standard. Plus 3 of our states still don't uniformly adopt it.  And it also makes international calls/travel have another level of bullshit.  But we're a big country, we get six timezones.  I think we earned it.  But I remember growing up in Chicago and twice a year, my father's trucking terminal was a fucking shitshow because nobody knew what the fuck time it was in a huge chunk of Indiana.  Lotta Old Style beer infused brawls ensued those days in Michigan City.  Which, spoiler alert, is not in Michigan.  And parts of the city, where the terminal was, did not observe DST and some of the area did.  Fucking insanity.  Don't get me started on Arizona, the Florida of the West.  But Hawaii can do its jam, I'm cool with all that sunshine however they wanna mark it.

• Haha 2