America's Game: The 124th Meeting of Army and Navy...... Dec 9th 3pm ET CBS

LTtxfan

Bill Belichick to serve as guest picker for College GameDay

Belichick is far more than just the coach of the local pro football team.

ZACH BARNETT    1 HOUR AGO

The 124th Army-Navy game will take place Saturday in Foxborough, Mass.

It'll be the first time the rivalry, played at a neutral site for almost all of its century-and-a-quarter long history, will visit Massachusetts. And College GameDay got the perfect guest picker.

Bill Belichick is more than just the head coach of the local pro football team. In many ways, the most accomplished coach in NFL history was raised by Navy football.

I'll let Peter King explain.

Much to Belichick's chagrin, Army won last year's tilt, 20-17 in double overtime, and has taken five of the last seven after Navy won annually from 2001-16. Navy leads the all-time series 62-54-7. 

Love that Gameday is there and giving both teams and branches the ample publicity they deserve. Also love this is a color on color matchup. For my dad who served from 1958-1962 in the Navy and said it was one of the best times in his life and afforded him the opportunity to attend and graduate from the University of By God Texas: Go NAVY, BEAT ARMY!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I miss both sides wearing the shiny metallic gold helmets. 

How the Hell did anyone think going away from the metallic gold helmets was somehow "better" for them?  FFS.

As a 20+ year Navy vet who did not attend Canoe U, I can't fathom giving a shit one way or the other who wins this game.  
It's a great tradition and great theater right up to the moment the game starts.  
It is such shitty football, though.
One of my good friends from my second tour was a backup QB for Navy and the holder for this famous missed kick.  He does NOT like to be asked about it.  It seriously jeopardized our friendship when I jokingly said "LACES OUT!" to him one day.  We're still in touch more than 25 years later, so he eventually forgave me...  I think.

Fuck you for making me relive that. One of the 4 chapters of disappointment in my 4 years by the bay.
  • Haha 1

All due respect to the half dozen good friends I have from West Point.  One uncle-in-law from USNA, two uncles who were Navy, two other uncles-in-law served in Navy, one uncle USMC, two cousins Navy, one other cousin USMC, plus Dad & Granddad served in the Navy (Vietnam and WWII respectively).  So today...fuck you Cadets in that GoatAss!  GO NAVY!  ANCHORS AWEIGH, WAY UP YOUR MOM'S ASS!!!

Grew up idolizing Staubach, admiring  Napoleon McCallum, and watching David Robinson, and always had a Navy lean.  I joined the Marine Corps the day after I graduated high school, enlisted.  Navy lean continued through early adulthood.

Oldest son ended up going to West Point after I bet him his freshman year of high school that he wouldn't last in Jrotc more than 4 weeks.  He was a bit...um...chubby... and nonathletic.  He wasn't exactly thrilled with activities that required effort. He developed bigtime through high school and wanted to attend Air Force both for the opportunity and because his mentor was a USAFA grad. He did the night at AirForce with the cadets.  He also did similar visit at A&M( which killed me, but I knew what the value was,) but that was literally his Plan B school. He got a late invitation to do the visit at West Point.  He fell in love with it immediately.  He called us on the first evening, "Mom, Dad, this is where I belong.  I want to go to West Point more than anything."  We would subsequently visit Annapolis on a family trip to the DC area that summer.  "Nope.  It's still West Point."

He ended up NOT getting his appointment that following spring, but rather a plain, unassuming plain brown envelope that would change his life.( see also: massive amount of prayers against A&M.)  It was a sponsorship to attend one of a list of selected Prep Schools, with the promise of "Take care of business, and you'll earn your appointment to West Point, one year later."  Both my wife and I thought it was some sort of con, as you can't just go do a little extra' to earn that appointment.  It was legit, as it was from the Association of Graduates however, and it came down to our son being very qualified with grades, leadership, and community service.  He was 6'4 and MAYBE 170- not the chubby kid any more; but the concern was whether he could endure the training.  The year of Prep School would allow his body to mature a bit. Well, it did.

When we first went to West Point for A Day( a ceremony of Acceptance into the Corps of Cadets, after BEAST training;)  I knew immediately why he fell in love with the place.  My wife and I did too.  The history,the legacy of leadership,  the standards, the setting on the Hudson.  It was incredible.  I went to my first Army-Navy Game in 2014 in Baltimore.  It was beyond awesome.  The following year our whole family went to the game in Philadelphia and it was great!  I teased him that I would yell for Army for 4 years and then switch back, due to my roots.  That didn't happen, and likely never will.  I love what the experience meant to him, and for that I will always yell for West Point.  Now I can't wait to take my grandson when he is old enough to take it all in.

Our younger son later enlisted in the Navy, but even he says, "Hey, I'm enlisted.  It really doesn't matter who wins, unless we get liberty out of it."  LOL  We have retired enlisted Air Force and Navy relatives.  He's the only one with Academy connections, and that makes all the difference in the world.

Go Army!  Beat Navy!!!

Sing Second!!!

Edited by slorch

Was at West Point in 1978 as a Plebe.  After a year, decided to transfer to UT BUT I’ll never forget going to Philly via bus and even though we lost 28-0 the spirit we exhibited brought praise from our Super. LTG Goodpaster but got ripped a new one from our Commandant BG John Bard, due to the 10s of thousands of dollars damage we cadets inflicted on the Benjamin Franklin hotel.  Remember at the time the drinking age was 18. We were all docked pay for a month.  Still worth it though. 

Go Army Beat The Crabs

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

31 on defense is Army's bellcow, bigtime.  Not good if he's hurt.

4 minutes ago, qwertyu1234 said:

Passing TD by Army? How modern of them.

Navy got caught with all their ships in port.

38 minutes ago, NashLonghorn said:

Was at West Point in 1978 as a Plebe.  After a year, decided to transfer to UT BUT I’ll never forget going to Philly via bus and even though we lost 28-0 the spirit we exhibited brought praise from our Super. LTG Goodpaster but got ripped a new one from our Commandant BG John Bard, due to the 10s of thousands of dollars damage we cadets inflicted on the Benjamin Franklin hotel.  Remember at the time the drinking age was 18. We were all docked pay for a month.  Still worth it though. 

Go Army Beat The Crabs

Forgive me for making a minor, technical point. No 1* has ever "ripped a 3* a new one" LOL.   Like, never. Nice work on fucking up the hotel though.

Edited by Thetexashammer

I served under many WP “ring knockers.” One was an Lt that played LB for Army and I remembered him playing in The Army/Navy Game around 86-87, while I was newly enlisted and at my first duty station in W. Germany. He was an awesome guy and leader. PT was fun with him! True leader.

Go ARMY, beat Navy!

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Think that's a first down but not incontrovertible

announcers never said shit about the premise that the runner's knee was down.  They only focused on his upper body.

Then they were surprised replay CONFIRMED the initial call.  and they get fucking PAID to announce the game.  It's crazy.

Edited by slorch

56 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Forgive me for making a minor, technical point. No 1* has ever "ripped a 3* a new one" LOL.   Like, never. Nice work on fucking up the hotel though.

Sorry I didn’t add cadets before “the”.  The BG ripped the CADETS a new one. 

Edited by NashLonghorn