2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

5 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Can someone translate this into English, please?

I can try to do better.

William Gay put a baby into an Olympic medalist sprinter; that kid ought to be a genetic freak. We should make him feel at home here so as to help in assuring that genetic freak ends up on a future Texas team where it can join Aaron Ross' similarly genetically equipped progeny.

• Hook 'Em 4

I’ve been away all day and haven’t read every word of this thread, but I’m not super excited about Rod Wright.  He may be fine, but seems like a downgrade from Bo Davis.

Regarding the comparison to Gideon, Gideon has much more experience when you consider he spent so many years here as a “coach on the field”.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Richter said:

Regarding the comparison to Gideon, Gideon has much more experience when you consider he spent so many years here as a “coach on the field”.

This is all I think about when someone mentions Gideon.

IMG_4272.gif.581160fccdec8df44540496965ea1b41.gif

7 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Bobby is going to be so impressed with the new Surly migrants once we start posting on his new site

Bobby: Wtf, these guys don't do any goddamn super chats. Cheap bastards! Where's the collective?!

This Sucks Season 3 GIF by The Office

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Was Wright the one who got the nickname "chips" while he was in school? IIRC it was something derogatory about him cashing all of his chips and not giving it everything in the weight room. Not that it matters and not that I'm against the potential hire, but am I remembering that correctly?

Also, as good of a coach as Bo Davis is and god bless that man for his portal rant, his recruiting hasn't been exactly awe inspiring. You can argue that DT is the thinnest spot on the roster. There's no denying the impact he had on Coburn, Ojomo, Sweat, and Murphy, but even in his first run through here he wasn't exactly pulling in 5 star monsters on the regular. Paul Boyette, Jake McMillon and Alex Norman aren't walking through that door, thankfully.

All the DT contributors since Davis has been here - Murphy, Coburn, Ojomo, Sweat, Collins, and Broughton - were brought in by the prior coaching staff. Davis pulled in Kris Ross (got in the mothafucka), Bledsoe (has flashed potential), Bryant (little production yet), Mitchell (nada yet/FR), Trill (portal in and out), and then two 3- stars in January (legacy) and Hills for this cycle. I get that his recruits have been blocked for playing time by upperclassmen, but this isn't exactly awe inspiring DT recruiting. 

This is what puzzles me. I know for a fact Davis is highly thought of in the coaching community, hence why LSU took him. He obviously can develop players. But the recruiting was good, not great. 

I don’t like losing him because of the fear of the unknown, but it could also be an opportunity to get someone that is better. Have no idea whether Wright will be. 

• Like 1

Been lurking all day and trying to chime in while this thread derailed like a bloody corpse stuck on a runaway cart through icy hell.  Count me in as not overly excited on Rod Wright.  Experience at a high-level and high-end recruiting appears to be a downgrade from Davis, but most would probably be.  Perhaps Wright was not the true first choice?  

But, assuming he is, I’ll happily place great fucking expectations on him. 

Edited by horny_gunman
I’m not cheering against Rod

On 1/14/2024 at 12:37 PM, PTINS said:

I like me some Babers. My favorite analyst. "Go 'Stros!!!"

He did it, at Texas and the NFL. Card carrying member of DBU, practiced and played w/ Michael Huff, Nathan Vasher, Quentin Jammer, etc. He earned the right to offer his opinion a long time ago.

He talked about the talent and competition when he played here; he wasn't the biggest, fastest, strongest, nothing-est. If he played, it was because he worked the hard-est, on and off the field. He's a film study, numbers kinda guy. 

He is adamant about pressing and covering receivers; If you can, you do, if you can't, you don't. He knew the weakness on this team a long time ago.

I imagine Rod is pretty stoked right now, with the DB recruiting/transfer haul and w/ his mentor coming back to influence all who will listen.

Babers was a typical bad then good player. Young guys take time to become great DBs. I'm looking forward to having upperclassmen DBs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Noozak said:

Anyone taking any bets on how long it takes for Bobby to regret the Surly integration?

zero. dude has no experience on the back end setting up forums and even if he did that was in the old days.

it's a win-win as long as they moderate it the way Bobby wants it done (very reasonable) and it sure sounds like that's the plan.

IT on the DL coaching search

Spoiler

At this point I'd be very surprised if Bo Davis' replacement isn't Texans' assistant defensive line coach Rodrique Wright.

Assuming that's how it plays out, here's my take:

- Hires are largely about traits. Yes, track records matter because they're the product of traits, but what great coaches didn't work their way up the ranks?
- Would he be the guy if he didn't go to Texas? Probably not. Would Freddie Roach have worked at Alabama if he didn't play there? Would Bo Davis be on his second tour at his alma mater? Was it nepotism when Randall Joyner returned to his alma mater of SMU to coach?
- What's truly important is Sark did his homework on Wright. Anyone that does a quick search on Wright will know the character checks out. His track record for development is better than he's given credit for, he just hasn't had sustained success in a high profile job. If Sark hires him, he's willing to bet that changes.
- I'd be very surprised if one of Sark and Jeff Banks didn't reach out to Texans' rookie Will Anderson to get his take on Wright.

What about as a recruiter?

- Wright is spiritual and that plays very well on the recruiting trail, especially in the Southeast.
- He's genuine and that plays well more often than not, especially with the sorts of players you want in your program. You have to be able to have honest conversations to assess the mental evaluation.
- NIL potential does some heavy lifting.
- He can recruit at Davis' level, though he'd have to hit the ground running to make up for lost time. Chris Jackson didn't necessarily get off to rip roaring start at Texas. Some of that had to do with joining "late".
- I have zero concerns over Wright's long-term viability as a recruiter.

In closing

- Maybe there's a little more risk with this hire than some of the high profile names bandied about, but how realistic were those guys?
- Rock star splashy make'm say no hires are mostly fan-fiction.
- Do you trust Sark's ability to evaluate?

Now, we wait and see if it is Wright. I feel confident it is but I'm not completely sure. Not only does our info point in this direction, it hasn't really pointed in any other direction during this search.

• Hook 'Em 5

Bobby on the topic:

Not really a news piece so I'm placing this on the board...

Rod Wright has his end of year meeting with Texans head coach Demeco Ryans today. We'll see what the timeline looks like following that meeting.

Again, not sure if Wright is the guy but it's customary for pro coaches to have these end of season meetings with assistants.

Imagine that. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

You can be a dick all you want here, why would you go somewhere just to poop in the Cheerios? The sites serve 2 different and complimentary purposes. It’s already getting about as much traffic as hornsports and it’s not even been launched for 4 days. 

idk what his goal is.

to be clear - Bobby knows how to build thing from the front end. Bobby probably knows next to jack shit about the back end of standing up a message board.

someone steps in and offers to help manage the back end and stand up a full service message board...and people think he would or should say no to it?

dumb.

i hope OTF kills it and i'll be poking my head over there.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I am fine with the Rod Wright hire.  Would love Orgeron though.

Where I am.  Seems none of the $9.95'ers have been talking about Orgeron as a possibility as of late.  Though Sark has shown in his time at Texas that his staff has been pretty good about keeping a lid on things.

20 minutes ago, immamac said:

You can be a dick all you want here, why would you go somewhere just to poop in the Cheerios? The sites serve 2 different and complimentary purposes. It’s already getting about as much traffic as hornsports and it’s not even been launched for 4 days. 

Would it be possible for you to put the OTF news bar on the individual forums pages? I only ever go to the 9.95 and Football boards, so I like the widget, but I never visit the home page really

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, immamac said:

I was on 247 when it launched. Active. It's a different environment than Shaggy/Surly because it moderator/$9.95er driven. Many posters there are very reluctant to follow what anyone else is saying except the moderators. Opinions and dialogue among posters are treated differently. You have to get in where you fit in properly, or you'll be a pariah. I dialed down my language but held firm on my POV on various subjects. Burton/Gerry/Howe were fine with all of it. EJ Holland was not, and that was mostly because I would repeatedly take him to task on his terrible takes in recruiting and football. The guy was a clueless idiot who thought simply interviewing a recruit made him an insider on the player. 

Anyway, it's not for everyone and I don't see there being much of a clash. Posters don't have to be in either place, so they'll find their own best spot and stick there. The notion that Surly posters will go over there and run amok is laughable. There will be the occasional idiot, but most interested parties will read the room and get what they want without the idiocy.

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

wow, that's going to offend everyone here who only expects this to be the norm. 

The problem with that take is that it is provably false. IT saying things like that reinforces their own myopic worldview that its subscriber base is a group of idiots and there is never anything new under the sun that they haven't already foreseen.

Orgeron was interested in the job. Nielsen was willing to talk if his NFL interest wasn't doable. No one was clamoring for Lupoi or Larry Johnson or Bill Belichik.

Badass hires are made all of the time. Choice, Flood, and Choate were all badass hires when they were made. Denbrock to ND and the KU OC to PSU are badass hires that got those fanbases excited (whether they work out or not). What Nahlin really wants to say is "shut up morons, you will take who the coach hires and like it, and I am tired of answering your idiotic questions about this process." but that wouldn't be as favorable an argument. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Lol, Nahlin backtracking

Big edit.

Edit: Whoa, IT just heard this one might be at an impasse. There’s a good chance Texas will look to go in a different direction due to a sticking point.

I’ll have more as I gather increased clarity.

Sorry to put you on the roller coaster, just sharing info as I get and vet it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Lol, Nahlin backtracking

Big edit.

Edit: Whoa, IT just heard this one might be at an impasse. There’s a good chance Texas will look to go in a different direction due to a sticking point.

spacer.png

23 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Lol, Nahlin backtracking

Big edit.

Not just Nahlin, Burton and his brood too. Bobby did hedge a bit in his last podcast : “nothing is official until TexasSports.com anniuces or Sark takes to the podium.” Well duh. 

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Not just Nahlin, Burton and his brood too. Bobby did hedge a bit in his last podcast : “nothing is official until TexasSports.com anniuces or Sark takes to the podium.” Well duh. 

You comparing Eric Nahlin and Bobby Burton with Sydney Carton-grade spelling errors.

spacer.png

• Haha 5

58 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Surly needs to make Orgeron happen. Let's fly another banner.

i may never have wanted an assistant hire to happen more than red bull'd up Ed Orgeron coaching at Texas

Orgeron guzzled the drinks when he arrived at LSU. During an appearance on Dan Le Batard’s radio show in May 2017, six months after LSU hired him as its full-time coach, Orgeron said he sometimes consumed eight to 10 energy drinks per day.

“Ed,” Le Batard said, “your face is going to explode.”

“Yeah, look,” Orgeron said, “If we’re going to do something here at LSU, we do it full speed, my man.”

+

“Nine years later, I’ve never had another staff source tell me about the head coach running out of Red Bull at 5 a.m. and using coffee grounds like a plug of snuff.”

+

This time, Orgeron ran into the room, ripped off his shirt and grabbed two cans of Red Bull. He slammed them together above his head and poured the caffeinated liquid into his mouth.

“He smashed them like Stone Cold Steve Austin,” junior left tackle Saahdiq Charles said.

+

"One time I saw him do something crazy was he walked into a meeting room, slammed a Red Bull on his chest, and that kind of got everyone pumped."

Williams went on to add that the can was unopened, and burst when coach O forcefully smashed it into his chest.

+

Ducre: He takes it, he picks up a chair, he slams the chair down repeatedly to the point that the rivets start flying off. He grabs another chair, he stands up on that chair, and he had an undershirt on.

Moore: He ripped his shirt off. Not like took it off but ripped it in half down the chest. I don’t know if he had pre-cut it down the middle or something, but yeah.

Ducre: Then he pulled his keys out, stabbed a hole in the bottom of it and shotgunned it.

Moore: And we went nuts. It was awesome.

Gallman: He had two Red Bulls and he Stone Cold’d them and chugged them. That definitely got us hyped up.

Moore: That’s probably the most genuine energy I’ve felt in a team room. I’ve had other coaches try a bunch of different tactics to motivate, to energize, and guys will go along with it a lot of times in jest, kind of egging the coach on. But it’s definitely genuine with Coach O.

Pocic: He’s big on the energy drinks, right? First game, we’re playing Missouri. I’m in the ready room and I guess the strength coaches were in charge of his energy drink. They were like, “Hey, Coach O wants another C4.” One of them goes, “Dude, I just gave him three scoops in one bottle.” And the other one was like, “Well, fuck, make him another one.” So they made him another one.

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Of course.  Hence my post.  Sark isn't going to pull an aggy and make a coaching decision based on fan reaction.  

Sarkisian didn't hire Mike Stoops specifically because of fan reaction. Not just Surly, but, yeah. Is this really something some of you people are skeptical about at this point?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Orgeron might be one of the few coaches at Texas that doesn't get an immediate Fire Coach X thread on the football board.

He'll fire himself after his numerous inappropriate relationships allegations. But I'll love him until that happens.

Edited by crash_davis

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sarkisian didn't hire Mike Stoops specifically because of fan reaction. Not just Surly, but, yeah. Is this really something some of you people are skeptical about at this point?

Oh, that Stoops.  I was referring to the Mark Stoops to aggy debacle.  But yes, with Mike Stoops, I doubt the Texas fans' reaction to hiring a Stoops was what swayed Sark.

1 minute ago, TexasRenegade said:

No....Sark almost hired Stoops on his initial staff....

Yeah, see follow up post.  Same answer.

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Of course.  Hence my post.  Sark isn't going to pull an aggy and make a coaching decision based on fan reaction.  

You should have been.  ‘‘Twas better than ATM’s response and more damn appropriate. 

and no I’m being typical Surly facetious:  ”Surly Horns: what happens here reaches Belmont”

• Hook 'Em 1