Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

Posted (edited)

As I don't expect anyone to remember, my resolution for 2023 was to do a better job at keeping up with F1. 

I more or less failed for a variety of reasons - always put it last in my motorsports rotation (behind both IndyCar, which had a fantastic season last year, and NASCAR - watched nearly every race in both series), I travel for work, the races' occasionally inconvenient timing, and honestly, the complete dominance by Max caused me to lose interest at a point.

I caught maybe half of all races (1-2 completely live, the rest days, weeks, and months later on DVR), and bits and pieces of a few more. 

I only share all of this so that others can appreciate the karmic retribution that I only just noticed that for some stupid reason, my DVR elected to skip this recording, so I now have to wait for the rerun later tonight in order to catch the season from the start.

I'm sure I'll fall woefully behind again soon enough... 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1

Looks like we found the source of the leaks:

Speaking to the Daily Mail, Verstappen Sr said: “There is tension here while he remains in position. The team is in danger of being torn apart. It can't go on the way it is. It will explode. He is playing the victim, when he is the one causing the problems.”

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/jos-verstappen-red-bull-f1-team-risks-being-torn-apart-if-horner-stays/10582532/

14 hours ago, elfenix said:

this is the sainz fuck you world tour and i'm here for it

Absolutely.

5 hours ago, Dutch said:

Looks like we found the source of the leaks:

Speaking to the Daily Mail, Verstappen Sr said: “There is tension here while he remains in position. The team is in danger of being torn apart. It can't go on the way it is. It will explode. He is playing the victim, when he is the one causing the problems.”

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/jos-verstappen-red-bull-f1-team-risks-being-torn-apart-if-horner-stays/10582532/

Absolutely.

Couple of scattered unconfirmed rumors Jos is close to or banging the “victim”.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, kevwun said:

That’s a weird deal as there’s never been even a hint that Max and Horner don’t get along as far as I know.  

Jos is squarely in the Marko camp for the Horner v Marko powerplay.

Because as everyone knows, when you have the opportunity to potentially run off Horner and Newey you obviously take that opportunity and back the 80 year old who has never held an actual role running a team or a technical role of any kind.

If there is even a 1% chance you push Newey out that's too high of a risk for Max.

...but as we all know Jos only cares about Jos.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 4

Posted (edited)

That pair is on pace to have won 4 in a row two different times.  It’s insane to try to fuck it up because no one will ever make a better car for Max.

Edited by kevwun
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, kevwun said:

That pair is on pace to have won 4 in a row two different times.  It’s insane to try to fuck it up because no one will ever make a better car for Max.

Literally no one ever said Jos was smart.

At this point I want Newey to go to FER, Helmut (who has never led a team before) to become TP and then die because he's 80 and in poor health, Horner to AM on a fuck RBR revenge tour and then we as the viewers win.

The result would probably be max going to Mercedes and winning a billion more championships though.

I hope RBR pulls whatever access Jos has.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

School me on this.

if there is a spending cap of and most teams are within some percentage points of the cap, then why is there such a gap in performance between RB and the field? You would think that some team would just randomly stumble into something and/or find some unexpected talent that could push them.  In a system that is setup for parity, it seems a bit strange that there are still consistently the haves and the have nots.

4 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

School me on this.

if there is a spending cap of and most teams are within some percentage points of the cap, then why is there such a gap in performance between RB and the field? You would think that some team would just randomly stumble into something and/or find some unexpected talent that could push them.  In a system that is setup for parity, it seems a bit strange that there are still consistently the haves and the have nots.

RB stopped developing last year’s car really early last year and devoted its cap space to this year’s car.

Yuki has shown the ability to be in the conversation for the second Red Bull seat, and doing stuff like that isn’t going to help his cause. Him thinking that he should have been given the position back after he screwed over Daniel is dumb. 
He's a fucking helmet.
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
On 3/2/2024 at 11:55 AM, Levi said:
Yuki has shown the ability to be in the conversation for the second Red Bull seat, and doing stuff like that isn’t going to help his cause. Him thinking that he should have been given the position back after he screwed over Daniel is dumb. 

He's a fucking helmet.

Side note: through their little incident on the track, I have found that the Yuki fan base is intense. Danny calling him a helmet and then saying his actions on the cool down lap were immature have got them on fire, especially on Twitter. 

On 3/2/2024 at 9:53 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

He is 34-years old. He has one victory since 2018. It’s time to move on.

He beat his teammate, which is job #1. Had he been allowed to make the swap sooner as they should have, he probably would have beaten him much worse. He might not have anything left, but imho it's still too early to know.

On 3/2/2024 at 9:06 AM, Fastbreak said:

Shocker that Stroll was involved in accident .

Stroll was hit from behind by Hulk, who looked like he might have been hit by (iirc) Bottas, who Martin described as 'driving by braille'. Stroll had a pretty good race after that. getting a point.

On 3/2/2024 at 11:40 AM, NoName said:

Yuki fucked both he and Danny by waiting for the swap. Good move man!

Edit: holy shit Yuki almost binned both cars on the cool down lap 

Yeah he fucked up, and then doubled down. Pretty crazy shit.

On 3/2/2024 at 6:44 PM, ConferenceRoom said:

Maybe Alpine will have to sell at a discount and Andretti will become the Enstone team. 

That would be great, but only if that's Andretti's only means of entry. If the teams succeed in keeping the grid at 10 teams forever, man, fuck that shit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Oh, and did y'all catch Brundle's comment about the hybrid engines? Sure took him a long time to finally say it.

David Croft commented: “On what is the 10th anniversary by the way of these 1.6ltr V6 hybrid engines that we started racing with here in Bahrain in 2014.”

Brundle replied: “Hateful things, biggest mistake Formula 1 has ever made.

“They’re way too big and heavy, aren’t they? But anyway, we’ve got them so we better make the most of them.”

The cars are so big and ugly and heavy, and look slow af in slow to medium speed corners, changing direction so poorly that they just look like tanks compared to the old ones.  I've been watching some of the older races recently and it is absolutely striking how much nimbler and more agile the pre-2014 cars were at low to medium speeds. Also striking is how much smaller they were, because they were so much lighter & didn't need huge, dramatically expanded floors in order to make enough downforce to turn.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Side note: through their little incident on the track, I have found that the Yuki fan base is intense. Danny calling him a helmet and then saying his actions on the cool down lap were immature have got them on fire, especially on Twitter. 
Let them be. Yuki will never sniff the RB seat if he acts like that.

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, Levi said:

Let them be. Yuki will never sniff the RB seat if he acts like that.

Probably. Danny’s fan base can be the same way and really most drivers have crazy/dumb fans to a certain extent. 

I usually watch a little bit of the practice sessions, then quali and the race. I didn't watch this race and might not watch them religiously moving forward. This current Red Bull domination tour sucks. Very impressive, but boring af.

I have been a fan of F1 since 1997 or so, so I am used to periods of domination, but this is different. The race is literally over from the start. I think there were days, weeks even where Schumi, Vettel, Hammy were untouchable during their runs, but not every damn race.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
12 hours ago, texas08 said:
Yuki keeps things fun! 

I like Yuki, but he needs to grow up yesterday.

3 full F1 seasons raced, still super immature. he kind of is what he is.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, wood said:

He beat his teammate, which is job #1. Had he been allowed to make the swap sooner as they should have, he probably would have beaten him much worse. He might not have anything left, but imho it's still too early to know.

I just think he's done. He's a personality. By all accounts a good guy but, I don't think - especially in a crap car - that he has much to offer, other than PR.

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

If Checo wasn’t such a dog in his car the dominance wouldn’t be so boring 

This. Until Nico retired, Merc was as dominant in the W/L column as RBR is now. In the first 3 years of this PU era, of 59 races they lost a total of 8 races. 86% win rate, but there was a battle within the team, so many people didn't care.

Since the start of 2022, RBR has lost 6 of 45 races, with the same 86% win rate.

After Nico retired (and in large part imho because Nico retired & was replaced by 'excellent wingman' Bottas), Merc wasn't as dominant. But Lewis winning the WDC was more of a foregone conclusion than when Nico was fighting him. Bottas was no match for Lewis and was never intended to be one. In 2017 & 2018 (the 4th & 5th years of the PU era), Ferrari was finally able to put up a fight, but in the end they didn't really get very close, and never would have had any hope with a better driver (such as Nico) in the Merc #2 seat.

The funny thing though is that despite all of Perez's mistakes, in the dominant years of each car, Perez has scored about the same points per race as Bottas. He's finished P2 and a close P3 (by 3 points). Bottas finished P3 and P5 his first 2 years at Merc. They're also not  far off in terms of race wins in the WCC years. Bottas 10 in 5 years, and Perez 4 in 2 years.

• Hook 'Em 2

There was a segment in DTS where the CEO of Alpine was putting the screws to Otmar, foreshadowing Otmar’s departure. The funny thing is that the CEO was also replaced shortly thereafter. Alpine is one fucked up organization. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/68465516

Mohammed Ben Sulayem, president of motorsport's governing body the FIA, is under investigation for allegedly interfering over a Formula 1 race result.

A whistleblower has told the FIA that Ben Sulayem allegedly intervened to overturn a penalty given to Aston Martin's Fernando Alonso at the 2023 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix.

The claim is in a report by an FIA compliance officer to its ethics committee, which has been seen by BBC Sport.

Ben Sulayem and the FIA have not responded to requests for comment.

The allegation made by the whistleblower is that Ben Sulayem called Sheikh Abdullah bin Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa - the FIA's vice-president for sport for the Middle East and North Africa region, who was in Saudi Arabia for the race in an official capacity - and made it clear he thought Alonso's penalty should be revoked.

Alonso had been given a 10-second penalty for work done on his car while he was serving a previous five-second penalty.

The report, by compliance officer Paolo Basarri, says the whistleblower reported that Ben Sulayem "pretended the stewards to overturn their decision to issue" the penalty to Alonso.

In Italian, the word "pretendere" means to require or expect.

The ethics committee is expected to take four to six weeks to issue its report.

The penalty in question had dropped Alonso from third place - behind Red Bull drivers Sergio Perez and Max Verstappen - to fourth, also behind Mercedes' George Russell. Withdrawing it returned him to a podium position.

In addition, BBC Sport has verified the information with several senior figures at high levels in F1 and close to the FIA. None would go on the record, but all said they had the same information.

• Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, wood said:

Wow. I'd never seen this before. RB1 and RB19 on track together. The RB1 looks like a toy beside the RB19. Nothing short of shocking imho. (just posted on Autosport in a thread about the sorry state of F1) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuR5jnNdoIk

23 minutes ago, G650 said:

I saw that this weekend. Insane

Going Crazy GIF

That's crazy, and cool, as well as maddening.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

This article was published on March 1 by Road and Track, and someone was able to get them to bury it by March 4.

image.thumb.png.caa88ec12b881945b40f982b4b4a40cb.png

https://web.archive.org/web/20240301170542/https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a46975496/behind-f1-velvet-curtain/

image.thumb.png.e0637e11c8f46775bb573059241a09e5.png

There wasn't even anything revolutionary in there.  Rich people like going to races and they like being treated like rich people?  OMG!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

There wasn't even anything revolutionary in there.  Rich people like going to races and they like being treated like rich people?  OMG!

Yeah fully agreed, seems pretty short-sighted to get the article canceled and just draw more attention. See: The Streisand effect.

• Hook 'Em 1

Damn. Y'all be reading way faster than I ever could. I'm only about 1/3 of the way through, at the part where she calls Horner 'ambitious and unscrupulous' and Toto 'gruff and blunt, but endearing' ... lulz.