Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

Nooooooo, we need Bottas! He's the most entertaining part of F1 these last three years.

I'm assuming Zhou is safe given the Chinese audience he brings. 

BOT has smoked the hell out of Zhou, something like 33-16 in quali as teammates and has 5-0'd him this year.

if people are fired up about shitty drivers, then they need to get worked up about Zhou. He is the definition of a pay driver at this point - he won the F3 asian championship in the year he was in F2 where he finished third, outside of that never won any series, highest ever f1 finish is 8th, then 2 10s then 3 9s for a total of 12 points across 2 full seasons and 0 points so far this year, has more retirements across 2 full years -  8 - than he does points finishes - 6. he clearly ain't shit.

people want to shit on Danny Ric, but he had the same # of points in 7 total races last year as Zhou had in the largest F1 calendar ever.

if we are talking about getting folks out of F1 who are not very good to make way for some of the new blood, Zhou is down there with Logan Sargeant, KMag, Danny Ric, etc at this point.

i hope BOT sticks around, one way or another.

also, updated drivers list for next year

ek242n95euwc1.jpeg

thoughts:

• SAI ends up in the 2nd Red Bull seat with a 1 year contract, ends up at Audi in 26 or does well enough for RBR to pay him to stay.
  • MB: soft landing for a 1 year deal for PER?
  • Stroll is back at AM for one last ride before his father sells enough of a stake that they can make the decision to replace him "my hands were tied Lance!"
  • Gasly stays at Alpine, and Ocon fucks off to Formula E, does shitty and we never hear from him again. Alpine does something weird with the other seat - BOT? PER? more likely is they just keep their all French combo, which i hate
  • Williams re-signs Albon to a 1 year deal, adds Kimi Antonelli to 2nd seat.
  • whoever finishes better, Yuki (probably) or Danny Ric (less likely) keeps the VCARB seat with the other going to Lawson
  • Kick ends up with someone to keep the seat warm for 1 year for SAI - Danny Ric? BOT? PER?
  • Haas ends up with something like Ollie Bearman + an experienced driver like BOT? or they cheap out and keep KMag for another year. let's be honest they probably do that because Gene Haas is a cheap SOB. maybe they double up with young guys and have Pourchaire? or Zhou as the pay driver (you just know Gene wants to break into that Chinese market)

so you have

• RBR: VER and SAI
  • MB: RUS and PER?
  • FER: LEC and HAM
  • MCL: NOR and PIA
  • AM: Stroll and ALO
  • Alpine: GAS and BOT? Ocon?
  • Williams: ALB and Kimi Antonelli
  • VCARB: TSU and LAW
  • Kick: HUL and RIC? BOT?
  • Haas: Bearman and Pouchaire? KMag? Zhou?
Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, NoName said:

BOT has smoked the hell out of Zhou, something like 33-16 in quali as teammates and has 5-0'd him this year

This reminds me of something funny. Apparently Stoffel Vandoorne said recently that he could match Fernando Alonso in one-lap pace. I guess he's forgetting that time when he was Fernando's F1 teammate and got epically destroyed by a historic margin in Qualifying. 37-3, iirc. 

I guess he's technically correct, in that he could match Alonso once in every twelve thirteen attempts.

Edited by wood
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

also, updated drivers list for next year

ek242n95euwc1.jpeg

thoughts:

• SAI ends up in the 2nd Red Bull seat with a 1 year contract, ends up at Audi in 26 or does well enough for RBR to pay him to stay.
  • MB: soft landing for a 1 year deal for PER?
  • Stroll is back at AM for one last ride before his father sells enough of a stake that they can make the decision to replace him "my hands were tied Lance!"
  • Gasly stays at Alpine, and Ocon fucks off to Formula E, does shitty and we never hear from him again. Alpine does something weird with the other seat - BOT? PER? more likely is they just keep their all French combo, which i hate
  • Williams re-signs Albon to a 1 year deal, adds Kimi Antonelli to 2nd seat.
  • whoever finishes better, Yuki (probably) or Danny Ric (less likely) keeps the VCARB seat with the other going to Lawson
  • Kick ends up with someone to keep the seat warm for 1 year for SAI - Danny Ric? BOT? PER?
  • Haas ends up with something like Ollie Bearman + an experienced driver like BOT? or they cheap out and keep KMag for another year. let's be honest they probably do that because Gene Haas is a cheap SOB. maybe they double up with young guys and have Pourchaire? or Zhou as the pay driver (you just know Gene wants to break into that Chinese market)

so you have

• RBR: VER and SAI
  • MB: RUS and PER?
  • FER: LEC and HAM
  • MCL: NOR and PIA
  • AM: Stroll and ALO
  • Alpine: GAS and BOT? Ocon?
  • Williams: ALB and Kimi Antonelli
  • VCARB: TSU and LAW
  • Kick: HUL and RIC? BOT?
  • Haas: Bearman and Pouchaire? KMag? Zhou?

Why not Bottas back to MB?

52 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Why not Bottas back to MB?

personally, i don't think BOT is a better driver in 2025 than either PER or SAI. don't think he scores as many points in the same seat as either of those dudes do

21 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Certainly not Sainz, but I'd rate him over Perez. 

21 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, I would agree with this.  He's just been driving a shitbox for the last 2.5 years.

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF

i really do like him, but BOT is is absolutely not < PER in 2025. the best seat he could get after MB was the seat he's in. there is a pretty high chance he doesn't even have a seat next year.

BOT was competing with Lewis more when both were in the MBs than Perez is competing with max with both in equal machinery. Still a round argument because I think you could take the best driver and put them up against max in his current car and they’d fail to compete at a serious level. He’s a fucking machine.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 10:56 AM, NoName said:

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF

i really do like him, but BOT is is absolutely not < PER in 2025. the best seat he could get after MB was the seat he's in. there is a pretty high chance he doesn't even have a seat next year.

Lesser than/greater than - how does it work?

Bottas vs Perez vs Hulk seems like mediocre vs mediocre vs mediocre to me. Not much between 'em imho. Good drivers all, imho. Nothing great. Not bad either.

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, The Tres Leches said:

I guess this is why COTA was buying back GA tickets for $350.  They're now $390.

IMG_9374.jpg

Yeah that was basically just a PR stunt. It would make no sense to sell your ticket back to them for $50 more than you paid if its value is about to 'skyrocket'. And I love Eminem, but this is the 'huuuuuge' lineup Epstein was talking about? I remember seeing Sting at his best with the Police, 41 years ago at Southpark Meadows when I was a freshman at UT. Good times, but 41 years is a long time.

Edited by wood

Yeah I like both of them just fine, but IMO their best work is long behind them.  If I weren't already going to be there for the entire weekend because of... you know... the actual race... then I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to get tickets just for these musical acts.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, utee94 said:

Yeah I like both of them just fine, but IMO their best work is long behind them.  If I weren't already going to be there for the entire weekend because of... you know... the actual race... then I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to get tickets just for these musical acts.

Yep. It's a car race. They're good, or at least Eminem is, but this isn't the blockbuster lineup he was trying to pump it up as.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Good job Horner and Marko

you forgot to include the massive piece of shit that is Jos Verstappen.

good job, morons. one would think Jos would have the best thing for Max in mind and try to de-escelate the situation. but nope. can't help himself, ever. fuck that guy.

i assume Ferrari is going to offer him a Lewis style deal, which is all the money in the world. they certainly should.

The departure of Adrian Newey shows that things are still going wrong at Red Bull. Jos Verstappen is concerned about Max's future with the team: “It is important for internal peace that the key figures remain on board. That is not the case now.”

also no gardening leave for Newey

Edited by NoName

A few thoughts...

- I'd say Jos is 'predominantly' to blame for this.

- I bet Max will start seriously looking around

- Newey is a fucking magician, and Red Bull will take a big hit in '26, and some other team will take a big leap forward

- I would love it if Newey went to Andretti!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Newey may just be done. I ran across a blurb that he commissioned a yacht in 2023 and it’s ready soon. He may just want to go sailing.

live look at Newey:

crying-wiping-tears-with-money.gif

Posted (edited)

Maybe he wants to design for Ferrari. After all, Ferrari are Ferrari, the strongest brand with the deepest history in the sport. They could also let him stretch and design a roadcar if he wants.

Or maybe he wants to sail around the world (he will turn 66 in December). 

My guess is he goes to Ferrari.

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

It might just be too hard for some of these guys, who are so driven in their passion, to just stop.

Sixty-six years is starting to get there as the time to start thinking about retiring.

My dad retired from the hospital at 65-years old. And he loved retirement. Perhaps Newey can’t unwind.

3 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Newey may just be done. I ran across a blurb that he commissioned a yacht in 2023 and it’s ready soon. He may just want to go sailing.

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, I'm not sure this isn't a retirement.

Yeah my money's been on retirement since the beginning of this thing, but wewillsee. 

Edited by wood

When someone good in F1 leaves their team, the announcement is almost always what team they are moving to not simply that they are leaving.  He can name his new team, so it's a little odd he hasn't picked one already if he's planning on staying in F1.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

When someone good in F1 leaves their team, the announcement is almost always what team they are moving to not simply that they are leaving.  He can name his new team, so it's a little odd he hasn't picked one already if he's planning on staying in F1.

Eddie Jordan was talking on a UK sports talk radio show and said that Newey hasn't made a decision yet and will probably just take a rest before making up his mind. He said everything is speculation at the moment. Tom Clarkson seems to think Aston Martin has the inside track and that's why they were in a hurry to sign Alonso and announce his extension. Who knows ...

Maybe this was obvious to the rest of you, but I just saw that the announcement from the team claimed he would be stepping back to finish 'final development and delivery' of the RB17 hypercar.

May be bullshit, but, if true, may be a way for RB to keep him "on contract" for a little longer, to prevent another team getting him?

When I posted about Eddie Jordan's comments above, I didn't know at the time that he's Newey's got damn manager. 

This is what Newey's manager says about his possible next move

Adrian Newey has been frequently linked with a move to Ferrari or Aston Martin since his departure from Red Bull Racing was leaked this week. Both teams would love to see the engineer come to further boost their world title aspirations. Eddie Jordan - Newey's manager - would not be surprised if the top designer turns down offers from Formula 1.

"He's been at Red Bull under constant pressure. So if he's going to take time out and just cruise for a while, then everyone would understand that. I think that's probably more likely to see, rather than diving into any other possible employment career. Things have slightly changed. He's got a bit older and the various other things," he says of 65-year-old Newey in the podcast Formula For Success.

The top British designer has been with Red Bull Racing for almost two decades. "This is a great team. He's had great drivers there and got great personnel there. He probably should and would look to the future about a change of life," said the 76-year-old flamboyant Irishman. Jordan also had a role in the "divorce" between Newey and Red Bull. Indeed, Newey thanked him in Wednesday's press release.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/273137/eddie-jordan-gives-advice-to-adrian-newey.html