Surly Horns State of Things End 2023

immamac

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

And you sit here and say this web site’s political views are the reason rich alumni won’t support their university? Do you realize how insane that sounds? Instead of blaming the site owner, how about you pull your head out of your ass and help other independents educate the rich right who haven’t realized yet they’ve aligned themselves with terrible unAmerican clowns. 

They support the university in a large way. They just won’t do it via Surly NIL. I’m not responding to the rest of your post as I and they largely agree, and that’s not close to an accurate representation of CR. 

• Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

They support the university in a large way. They just won’t do it via Surly NIL. I’m not responding to the rest of your post as I and they largely agree, and that’s not close to an accurate representation of CR. 

I guess "moving on" actually means being completely unresponsive to a long and detailed post just to come back and say "nuh uh". Keep up the good work, Rex. 

• Haha 4

On 4/12/2024 at 10:01 PM, Rex Kramer said:

People I know in real life either post here or lurk. They will not give your site $1 because of toxic nature and free-roaming horde in CR. They otherwise would. I’m not a fucking moron. Be ornery at your own risk. 

It makes sense that you're friends with other snowflakes.

On 4/12/2024 at 10:59 PM, immamac said:

I'm actually showing data that makes this post actually warrant me talking to you this way. That's what you fail to comprehend. This is like coming into a situation with a room filled with experts, knowing jack shit and telling them they are all wrong because you and your 5 friends who know literally jack shit about the topic of expertise think anything about the topic at hand. I'm showing hard evidence of the opposite of your fantasyland narrative and you are just off in lala land throwing shit in your own mouth instead of reading and sitting at the dinner table with the adults.

It's a real fucking mystery why Cloak Room would treat Rex poorly, isn't it?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

It makes sense that you're friends with other snowflakes.

It's a real fucking mystery why Cloak Room would treat Rex poorly, isn't it?

They’re not snowflakes. I tout the place. They lurk, say no thanks. Nobody treats me poorly there. 

On 4/13/2024 at 10:42 PM, Rex Kramer said:

They support the university in a large way. They just won’t do it via Surly NIL.

these people totally exist! they totally want to support Texas in a large way! they just don't like this place because of it's political bent! i promise they exist! they made their money via a tech exit! or a wealthy uncle died and left them a huge inheritance! or they won the lottery! either way they totally exist! i promise!

gf_in_canada.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NoName said:

these people totally exist! they totally want to support Texas in a large way! they just don't like this place because of it's political bent! i promise they exist! they made their money via a tech exit! or a wealthy uncle died and left them a huge inheritance! or they won the lottery! either way they totally exist! i promise!

gf_in_canada.png

Ha, they absolutely do exist. image.gif.398d74eb730a1cfb98945c7d6783bbd0.gif

12 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Are those posters that give out the most neg rep, or posters who receive the most neg rep?  

Just because they are some of the worst posters doesn't mean they have the most neg rep, necessarily, but you are forgiven for being confused. The answer is the former.

I think I'm still averaging about 1 neg rep a month, if that over the last couple years.  Admittedly, if we went back to that system where you can add a line about why you neg repped somebody, I know myself-I'd probably do it more often.  But the whole crowd-sourcing/oblivion thing is just childish.  I mean, don't me wrong---somebody actively encourages another person to commit suicide or hurt themselves, that actually does happen in real life (that's been proven out by real data), that's ban-worthy.  Somebody keeps posting somebody's real name or location, that's banning material.  Or uses a lot of racial slurs that easily come up if somebody were to find it hit top of page on google or whatever, we don't need that shit either.  But Somebody's just trolling or being an asshole or overly-insulting, keep the rep system but we don't need cast too big a light on the whole issue.  

Although, anecdotally...I enjoy the semi-annual post by Rex where he lists out the ten posters he has on 'ignore', and the vast majority of them are posters he actively engages/argues/cites on myriad threads.  I compulsively read everything he puts out on the O&G thread, but he can remind me (and he's good people in real life IIRC) of that girl in junior high that proclaimed, "I'm never talking/listening to you again" and then 5 minutes later passes you a note with a bunch of "circle yes or no" questions on it.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

On 4/12/2024 at 4:46 PM, Celery Man said:

Am I a burnt ends subscriber? I don’t see that listed in my account and I have no recollection of unsubscribing. I do wonder if you’re leaking subscribers somehow.

I lost mine for a bit after a card expired. Signed back once I noticed.

I've told my friends who like to swing by the tailgate it's not free anymore, so that should help hopefully. 

The economy is in Flux that's for sure. I'm not saying its bad or good, just changing.

Markets are shifting and the worldwide shit show isn't helping .

well fuck me. When we switched ad providers I left the placeholder for where the ads would go, but wasn't calling the loader script for anyone logged in. This helps on some of the ad revenue dropoff explanation. Fixed today, also you may see a floating video player that shouldn't be too intrusive, that is going to start playing OTF and Surly Horns Podcast content + a mix of some other Texas stuff.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

well fuck me. When we switched ad providers I left the placeholder for where the ads would go, but wasn't calling the loader script for anyone logged in. This helps on some of the ad revenue dropoff explanation. Fixed today, also you may see a floating video player that shouldn't be too intrusive, that is going to start playing OTF and Surly Horns Podcast content + a mix of some other Texas stuff.

Sure, it could be that you forgot to plug something in.  But is that really more likely than ad revenue being down because you scared off Rex's five wealth friends?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, immamac said:

td-simpsons-drunk.jpg.4622a2c873cd8738a03abb39c7a39e81.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

It's half or more of the potential market for users. This isn't hard.

revenue is up not down. Ads were down because of a depressed market and apparently I was serving blank impressions to logged in users for the better part of 5 months. Oops. 

NIL program specific revenue is down and I’ve answered that pretty clearly. If you don’t want to pay players because of some shit that happens in cloak room on this website then whatever. I don’t make any money off it. I lose 3.5% because I gross up the payment processing fees. 

half of the potential market for surly is not turned off/away/leaving/gone/whatever the fuck it is you are insinuating because of cloak room and the general discussion which is similar everywhere, not just on surly. 

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

half of the potential market for surly is not turned off/away/leaving/gone/whatever the fuck it is you are insinuating because of cloak room and the general discussion which is similar everywhere, not just on surly. 

True. At least it’s mostly contained here, with some leaks. Other boards do similar, but ones that don’t tend to end up with a shitfest.

It’s not like Surly itself is endorsing anything, or anyone, in the political realm. Surly’s position is “we love the longhorns.” That’s it. (Well, we can’t forget tits.) Any users opinion is just that; a users opinion.

I stay out of there, easy enough to do.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/12/2024 at 3:21 PM, Rex Kramer said:

The economy is considerably better than it has been in many years since the Shag started. Including last year, ‘21 and certainly ‘20. 

It’s been said before, but the nature and dominance of the CR hard left lean is the primary reason for your difficulty with fund raising. 

On 4/12/2024 at 8:01 PM, Rex Kramer said:

People I know in real life either post here or lurk. They will not give your site $1 because of toxic nature and free-roaming horde in CR. They otherwise would. I’m not a fucking moron. Be ornery at your own risk. 

On 4/13/2024 at 8:02 AM, Rex Kramer said:

You showed data after I had already tuned you out due to three or four unnecessary insults. And your data is irrelevant to my point, which you continue to fail to even consider. Not every reason can be explained by your metrics. 

I never cared too much about getting neg repped or pos repped, and I didn’t ask for that list, but it is very instructive to my point because I’d say most people DO care about rep to some degree about it (including me). Most of those people have one strong thing in common: the CR. They stifle conversation, make the entire community appear like the left version of Marjorie Taylor Green, and ultimately affect $ whether they go to Surly or NIL. You’ll probably respond I’m an idiot because Surly hasn’t been affected financially, but you’re failing to consider business that walks away - business to which you were totally oblivious - because of the bullying left nature here. Keep believing it’s “strange” features of a good economy. 

My memory isn't what it once was, so somebody kindly refresh it. 

Is Rex the guy that was a proud member of the frat that sang (still sings, probably) the song with the N word?    

IIRC (and I'll stipulate that I may indeed not) it was "there will never be a (n word) SAE". 

IF that's the case, then yes, I'm sure that today's version of CR is too "left" for his tastes.  And, if that's the case, then fuck him and fuck his "buddies". 

Edited by Gil Bang

25 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

My memory isn't what it once was, so somebody kindly refresh it. 

Is Rex the guy that was a proud member of the frat that sang (still sings, probably) the song with the N word?    

IIRC (and I'll stipulate that I may indeed not) it was "there will never be a (n word) SAE". 

IF that's the case, then yes, I'm sure that today's version of CR is too "left" for his tastes.  And, if that's the case, then fuck him and fuck his "buddies". 

Correct that I was a member but we never sang that song and I was very critical of the idiots at OU that were videoed singing it on a party bus. What else ya got?

1 hour ago, immamac said:

revenue is up not down. Ads were down because of a depressed market and apparently I was serving blank impressions to logged in users for the better part of 5 months. Oops. 

NIL program specific revenue is down and I’ve answered that pretty clearly. If you don’t want to pay players because of some shit that happens in cloak room on this website then whatever. I don’t make any money off it. I lose 3.5% because I gross up the payment processing fees. 

You don't understand your business model at all. Good luck.

Just now, Thetexashammer said:

I've already described the value proposition that this website offers. Well, it did in the past. Your understanding of that value proposition is different it appears.

I think you have no idea what you are talking about and it's extremely evident.

You think the market for message boards is growing, like you honestly believe that? 

You think that there are MORE fans now than there were in 2004-2009? That's a serious question, you think people are more engaged with Longhorn sports and football specifically than 20 years ago? 

You think people want to come here and talk politics and news? Like that's what you think this site is?

Weren't you the one who said that football board isn't even busy and is dead during the season when there's no way to actually slice the data that paints a picture of that? Nothing, not access patterns, not a single metric. You think that football, recruiting and talk around that is not the driving force behind this website? You think it's "Texas news and current events"?

You think our food board is just so legendary that people come from all over the internet to read our threads?

• Drool 1

Here's a spoiler alert for you. People like this site because we have no corporate overlords and we don't give a shit what the institution thinks about what our users say. Our brand has always been irreverence to the established "proper fandom" experience. This is a place for people who love hard and hate hard, with opinions they feel strongly about and are willing to spend time thinking through why they formulated those opinions. 

We don't sunshine pump, we don't set an agenda, we let the community self moderate and go where it needs to go without outside intervention from anyone else. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Were you critical of them singing it, or critical of them being "videoed singing it on a party bus". 

I never sang it and we laughed at an older active member trying to teach us as pledges the words. What else Gil Bang’d?

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

I think you have no idea what you are talking about and it's extremely evident.

You think the market for message boards is growing, like you honestly believe that? 

You think that there are MORE fans now than there were in 2004-2009? That's a serious question, you think people are more engaged with Longhorn sports and football specifically than 20 years ago? 

You think people want to come here and talk politics and news? Like that's what you think this site is?

Weren't you the one who said that football board isn't even busy and is dead during the season when there's no way to actually slice the data that paints a picture of that? Nothing, not access patterns, not a single metric. You think that football, recruiting and talk around that is not the driving force behind this website? You think it's "Texas news and current events"?

You think our food board is just so legendary that people come from all over the internet to read our threads?

I'm tapping out bro. You are a nightmare. You know some human beings are pleasant to deal with and can hold a conversation without being offensive. You are not that. 

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

Here's a spoiler alert for you. People like this site because we have no corporate overlords and we don't give a shit what the institution thinks about what our users say. Our brand has always been irreverence to the established "proper fandom" experience. This is a place for people who love hard and hate hard, with opinions they feel strongly about and are willing to spend time thinking through why they formulated those opinions. 

We don't sunshine pump, we don't set an agenda, we let the community self moderate and go where it needs to go without outside intervention from anyone else. 

I think if you understood your customer acquisition model you would have said it. I think if you had a rational basis for excluding 50% of your potential customers, you would have said it.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I never sang it and we laughed at an older active member trying to teach us as pledges the words. What else Gil Bang’d?

You laughed.   A decent person may have said "fuck this shit, I want nothing to do with any organization that promotes this racist hatred" and would have bailed the fuck out.

You laughed. 

1 minute ago, Thetexashammer said:

I'm tapping out bro. You are a nightmare. You know some human beings are pleasant to deal with and can hold a conversation without being offensive. You are not that. 

I think if you understood your customer acquisition model you would have said it. I think if you had a rational basis for excluding 50% of your potential customers, you would have said it.

You come in here with hot takes claiming I don't know my own business model, I explain to you the exact business model and you don't even refute it. You just continue to triple down on some premise that is actually a figment of your imagination. 

Our customer acquisition model isn't to get everyone on the internet to come here and post. If you read this thread at all you would realize that there is a balance on who the community wants here and it's not the shitposters from twitter and it's not the mindless drone content consumers from Instagram and tiktok. 

You know what we need more of? Young people who are ~22-28. You didn't read this thread though, because you don't care about _actually_ being right or presenting fact based evidence showing that we are "excluding 50% of our potential donor base to burnt ends". Instead you come in here acting like a persecuted member of society when in reality you are just a completely deranged person who is living in a fake bubble lala land of your own creation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

You laughed.   A decent person may have said "fuck this shit, I want nothing to do with any organization that promotes this racist hatred" and would have bailed the fuck out.

You laughed. 

Made fun of the guy, yeah, we did. It was not a sanctioned song, just an idiot. And yes as an 18-year old, I decided to stick it out despite 23-year old racist bullshit. And I’m glad I did. What else

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Please explain to us again how this site is excluding "50%" of potential customers?

And how would one reel them in without having others feel "excluded"?

You come in here with hot takes claiming I don't know my own business model, I explain to you the exact business model and you don't even refute it. You just continue to triple down on some premise that is actually a figment of your imagination. 

Our customer acquisition model isn't to get everyone on the internet to come here and post. If you read this thread at all you would realize that there is a balance on who the community wants here and it's not the shitposters from twitter and it's not the mindless drone content consumers from Instagram and tiktok. 

You know what we need more of? Young people who are ~22-28. You didn't read this thread though, because you don't care about _actually_ being right or presenting fact based evidence showing that we are "excluding 50% of our potential donor base to burnt ends". Instead you come in here acting like a persecuted member of society when in reality you are just a completely deranged person who is living in a fake bubble lala land of your own creation.

Even if you are correct, this is totally unprofessional.

• Fuck You 1

Even if you are correct, this is totally unprofessional.

You think this is a professional website? I didn't know this was the bastion of professionalism. My bad, I thought this was a website on the internet that has the tagline:

image.png

I must have gotten lost on my way to business insider or something. 

• Haha 6

You think this is a professional website? I didn't know this was the bastion of professionalism. My bad, I thought this was a website on the internet that has the tagline:

image.png

I must have gotten lost on my way to business insider or something. 

Applebee's ain't the greatest restaurant in the world but if my waiter acted like you I'd fucking slap them upside their head.

• Fuck You 1

Applebee's ain't the greatest restaurant in the world but if my waiter acted like you I'd fucking slap them upside their head.

If you came into dick's last resort and told the waiter they were being a dick and mean to you and that you needed to speak to the manager, then the manager came out and explained to you that it's a theme restaurant that the entire premise is that the server's are dicks to you and that's kinda the fun of hte restaurant and then you told them "WELL BY GOLLY I WONT BE COMING BACK AND IF YOU WERE MORE LIKE THE APPLEBEES WAITERS YOUD HAVE 50% MORE CUSTOMERS" that's you, right now. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

LOL "The Texas Hammer" is upset by some guy's message board demeanor....  Have you ever SEEN a Jim Adler commercial before? Dude is 10 times worse of a person to deal with than anything posted in this thread.  

7 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

It's crazy that imma is comparable to an Applebee's waiter in your upside down mental model of the world. Good Lord dude lol

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

It's crazy that imma is comparable to an Applebee's waiter in your upside down mental model of the world. Good Lord dude lol

Look, I stand up now to Immamac to inquire, "Are we getting pizza shooters or mozzarella sticks anytime soon?"  

And yes, our most self-touted 'alpha' posters tend to be the most sensitive.  As in real life.  Also "Palace of Degenerates".........that would also make for a finely named Gentleman's Club.