Everything is Shit: Tracking the Great Enshittening

956 Worldwide

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Googles search business is a behemoth and it’s ready to implode because it does in fact not work. Also their margins are because they own literally all the inventory and CPM payouts are in the absolute shitter and content providers are just too stupid to say nah fuck you have your dead inventory. 

google also routinely sells trash inventory and has been caught running ads nowhere and burning their customers money, yet people still buy from them. It’s actually crazy. 

if it was your job to save Google how would you do it

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Googles search business is a behemoth and it’s ready to implode because it does in fact not work. Also their margins are because they own literally all the inventory and CPM payouts are in the absolute shitter and content providers are just too stupid to say nah fuck you have your dead inventory. 

google also routinely sells trash inventory and has been caught running ads nowhere and burning their customers money, yet people still buy from them. It’s actually crazy. 

There's an online advertising reckoning coming, it's hit pretty much all the writing outlets and is propagating out from there. Once folks start actually interrogating the CPM they're getting or paying, things don't seem on the up and up

34 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

if it was your job to save Google how would you do it

I would stop pretending to be what I wasn’t. I would have kept heavily investing in personalized search and data discovery and usefulness. Instead they got distracted and have arguably wasted hundreds of billions on a bunch of side bets that are actually just not good businesses. It’s actually incredible how they are 0 for on any of their moonshots. 

when you look at their product portfolio and all the shit they do it’s impossible to even make sense of their overall business strategy other than “suck money out of tech in any way possible” 

the problem with all these companies is they have all gotten too big to make any sense anymore. They exist to make money from having money and market share that is impenetrable because of the enormous money moat they have. 

innovation is largely dead in big tech. All these companies do hundreds of releases to production a week or month, but yet the experience is just the fucking same. 

a great example is Uber. The UX is the same as 3-4 years ago. It’s still fucking impossible to reach out to your driver after a ride right after you forgot something in the car. It’s impossible to get an accurate picture of your car or driver. It’s impossible to get accurate routes or directions in the app. It’s impossible to track a lot of things, it’s impossible to indicate if you have ridden with a driver or if you liked that driver. It’s not possible to have a set of preferred drivers or riders. Etc etc etc. all things that you would think having a god damned army of 1k+ engineers would help you do. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Anyone else never update apps on their phone? If I have something that is glitchy, I'm going to delete it, not update it.

If it works, I don't want to update and find that it's been "updated" with a user experience that now sucks. Used to use a podcast app that I liked. Updated it and it started showing ads all the time. Nooooope.

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Or, and sadly just as likely, a cover story for confiscated drugs that went missing.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Stoned rats is no more than a 2 on the NOLA weird-shit-o-meter.

I figure the least they could do if the rats are high is order them some pizza and Girl Scout cookies! FYI, Trader Joe’s has Kringles again. Hot damn. 

Went to the Texas baseball game last night. 

Not enshittening: Tickets were $5 for GA. No extra fees, add-ons, etc. That's great to see.

Enshittening: Only delivered via mobile with a link that didn't work when I clicked it. No print option. Just went to the gate, showed the ticket homepage and the usher just waved me through.

Posted (edited)

Deadspin is being turned into a gambling site, not surprising given the owners.  Deadspin has been shit for a while though.

Kotaku’s editor-in-chief bailed or was fired after being told that instead of gaming news, Kotaku has to pump out 50 gaming guide articles a week, even though Kotaku was making a profit and had plenty of traffic.  And Kotaku had their comments disabled in the process because long time users were not happy.

leonardo dicaprio bravo GIF

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Deadspin is being turned into a gambling site, not surprising given the owners.  Deadspin has been shit for a while though.

Kotaku’s editor-in-chief bailed or was fired after being told that instead of gaming news, Kotaku has to pump out 50 gaming guide articles a week, even though Kotaku was making a profit and had plenty of traffic.  And Kotaku had their comments disabled in the process because long time users were not happy.

leonardo dicaprio bravo GIF

The kotaku thing is so weird. Not sure what to think of it tbh I feel like it’s going the right way vs the wrong way with focusing on game guides instead of clickbait bullshit culture. 

28 minutes ago, immamac said:

The kotaku thing is so weird. Not sure what to think of it tbh I feel like it’s going the right way vs the wrong way with focusing on game guides instead of clickbait bullshit culture. 

Kotaku for all it's warts actually does some decent reporting every now and then. But I think the bigger thing is realizing that much of that industry doesn't exist in it's current "normal" without extremely low interest rates. It's hard to have a big staff of writers and editors and SMEs when there's no advertising dollars for their content anymore

What is kinda interesting is that what seemed to be a rather unique phenomenon relating to internet provided services or products is really just a near universal expression of entropy or something similar. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/13/2024 at 2:55 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Anyone else never update apps on their phone? If I have something that is glitchy, I'm going to delete it, not update it.

If it works, I don't want to update and find that it's been "updated" with a user experience that now sucks. Used to use a podcast app that I liked. Updated it and it started showing ads all the time. Nooooope.

Hahaha yeah, long ago, I looked forward to OS updates on devices and app updates. Now they come with a sense of dread. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Chick-fil-a about to enshit their chicken.

Chick-Fil-A backtracks from its no-antibiotics-in-chicken pledge, blames projected supply shortages

BY THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Updated 5:44 PM CDT, March 24, 2024

ATLANTA (AP) — The fast-food chain Chick-Fil-A backtracked from its decade-old “no antibiotics ever” pledge intended to help prevent human antibiotic resistance linked to the rampant use of the drugs in livestock production.

Instead, the company said in a statement that it will embrace a standard known as “no antibiotics important to human medicine,” often abbreviated as NAIHM, which entails the avoidance of medications commonly used to treat people and limits the use of animal antibiotics to cases of actual animal illness.

Livestock producers have long used antibiotics to boost rapid weight gain in animals such as chickens, pigs, cows and sheep, improving the profitability of their businesses. Over the past decade, however, many nations, including the United States, have begun to restrict the practice as evidence mounted that it was contributing to drug resistance and reducing the effectiveness of antibiotics against disease in humans.

Chick-Fil-A said it will begin shifting to the new policy in the spring of 2024. A company spokesman added that the move reflects company concerns about its ability to acquire sufficient supplies of antibiotic-free chicken. One of the poultry industry’s largest companies, Tyson Foods, said last year that it was reintroducing some antibiotics to its chicken production and removing its “No Antibiotics Ever” package labeling. It began to eliminate antibiotics from some of its poultry production in 2015.

In a May 2023 video featured on the Tyson Foods YouTube channel, Tyson’s senior director of animal welfare, Karen Christensen, described the shift as “based on scientific research and industry learnings.” She noted that Tyson planned to begin using antibiotics known as ionophores, which don’t play a role in human medicine, to “improve the overall health and welfare of the birds in our care.” Ionophores have long been used to promote growth in livestock.

by Taboola 

• Rage+1 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

• 3 weeks later...

I like to follow tornado warnings this time of year and local news stations are obligated to cover tornado warnings in their area. On the broadcast side with rabbit ears/cable/YouTubeTV/etc they keep the coverage going without interruption. Well, there's an alarming trend now that while streaming through their website you first have to sit through commercials like you would any other news story.

There is something profoundly American about waiting through a furniture sale ad to see if the F5 is going to hit your house or not.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I like to follow tornado warnings this time of year and local news stations are obligated to cover tornado warnings in their area. On the broadcast side with rabbit ears/cable/YouTubeTV/etc they keep the coverage going without interruption. Well, there's an alarming trend now that while streaming through their website you first have to sit through commercials like you would any other news story.

There is something profoundly American about waiting through a furniture sale ad to see if the F5 is going to hit your house or not.

I think the various weather reporting outlets may be "over reporting" severe weather for clicks.  It may just be the weird weather patterns, but it often seems like they make things more dire than they actually are.  Of course, the Storm Prediction Center can make that easy and I don't think they're angling for clicks.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think the various weather reporting outlets may be "over reporting" severe weather for clicks.  It may just be the weird weather patterns, but it often seems like they make things more dire than they actually are.  Of course, the Storm Prediction Center can make that easy and I don't think they're angling for clicks.

Oh yeah certainly there is some of that. It used to be that they'd only be live during tornado warnings, but I've seen more and more start to break away to live coverage of severe thunderstorm warnings. There's a station in Baton Rouge today that has declared the whole day a "First Alert Weather Day" where they have coverage going. Now they did have a storm roll in with 80mph straight-line winds, so it probably needed to be covered, but they had the whole system ready to go for that.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

When the core intent is not to inform the public, but to make money on advertisements it's not hard to see how perverse incentives can inevitably steer things in this direction. It'll take deaths from missing critical safety information like an impending tornado for anything to actually change

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Captainant said:

When the core intent is not to inform the public, but to make money on advertisements it's not hard to see how perverse incentives can inevitably steer things in this direction. It'll take deaths from missing critical safety information like an impending tornado for anything to actually change

Except it won’t change. Society jumped the shark of faux sensationalism sometime after the dawn of the internet. Every storm is the deadliest ever. Applies to everything, not just weather. Most people don’t take it seriously, but gotta get clicks from the people who do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Not sure if it goes here or in a cyber attack thread or where, but it's crazy that the 911 system was offline for a while last night in Texas (and a few other states)

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/911-outage-reported-across-multiple-us-states-officials-say-2024-04-18/

That system has so many redundancies (on paper at least) it's crazy that it went offline for any period of time 

Edited by Captainant