Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Him having to leave was the mess and it was a big one.

not really. roster wise we’re in fine shape, we just aren’t a great team. RT got to coach the team for half the season, he won the big xii tourney title, then he went to the elite 8. he even managed to keep our highly rated recruiting class committed and supportive throughout the season. he was in as good a shape as he could have asked for.

the mess started when RT lost his entire recruiting class to australia and the g league, followed by him whiffing repeatedly on top transfer targets. as good as RT’s finish to the season was, his start to the offseason was just as bad, and in the end we’ve ended up with a roster that’s a)not constructed ideally, but b)constructed well enough with enough talent to not be the mercurial mess that it is. Beard didn’t leave a huge mess, he left a great foundation to build on. the mess started after the season ended, when RT was finally confirmed as the man.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

The same geniuses demanding Terry's ouster here were on previous boards demanding both be fired; Shaka certainly didn't do anything to justify staying but pushing Barnes out was just plain stupid. (Cue the baseless "both Texas and Barnes needed a change" platitude.)

RT has reached his level of incompetence. 

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The arrest and dismissal of a head coach mid-season isn't a mess?

OK.

No, because only 1 person was involved. A mess is if multiple people within program were involved some way and they weren’t. It was just 1 person and he was fired, it’s not like half the program needed to be cleaned out. 

The recruiting is on Terry himself. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The arrest and dismissal of a head coach mid-season isn't a mess?

OK.

Rodney Terry during a year where there is a "mess": 12-6 conference record

Rodney Terry during a year where he has full autonomy: 6-8 conference record

Quick, someone create a mess.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

No, because only 1 person was involved. A mess is if multiple people within program were involved some way and they weren’t. It was just 1 person and he was fired, it’s not like half the program needed to be cleaned out. 

And that one person caused a big mess.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

one of terry’s firmer UT assistant buddies (rob lanier) has SMU at no.44 in his second year as HC (Texas is only 8 spots ahead at no.36) and his team actually has an identifiable ethos and play style. so that feels good to know.

and he's built that off a 10 win season last year.

chris beard’s first year here he essentially ended up with a five man roster that was so unathletic that all five of them could barely dunk, never mind having any players on the level of max abmas or this year’s disu, and yet his talent was still evident:

IMG_9411.thumb.jpeg.a6234badeea39b95f7f73d6b6604f0f8.jpeg

IMG_9410.thumb.jpeg.98e62a0de5f5b7a73287ab768ad7aa53.jpeg

RT’s first team has more useful players, more shooting, more athleticism, more size, more time spent together, more depth, and on and on, and yet the on-court product is mercurial and underwhelming. RT is routinely getting out coached, both on game days and off days.

IMG_9413.thumb.jpeg.7cd3bdc26143bc0cdc0f9c43b9236a02.jpeg

IMG_9412.thumb.jpeg.32dbff799121a6a24df3b8d437a25c97.jpeg

but yeah, i’m sure RT will just kill it next year with an inferior, younger, less talented roster. he just needs time. year 29 is gonna be his year!

Edited by shadow_operative

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Rodney Terry being the head coach at Texas instead of Chris Beard.

So Terry is going to fix Terry?

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

You’re really trying here. There is no mess. CTJ said the BMDs were giving terry leeway in order to fix the mess left behind by Beard. Everyone has the same question—what mess are they talking about? If the mess itself is Terry (which is what you’re saying) then how is Terry going to fix Terry? His previous HC record should tell everyone all they need to know.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Pancho said:

So Terry is going to fix Terry?

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

You’re really trying here. There is no mess. CTJ said the BMDs were giving terry leeway in order to fix the mess left behind by Beard. Everyone has the same question—what mess are they talking about? If the mess itself is Terry (which is what you’re saying) then how is Terry going to fix Terry? His previous HC record should tell everyone all they need to know.

The mess is Chris Beard not being the head coach at Texas.

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

In what way was Rodney Terry's ability to do this job hindered by anything Chris Beard did?

Well...Beard hired him into a position that let him become interim HC when Beard got himself canned. So in that sense, we can blame Beard. But who am I trying to fool here? No one. Terry's woes are all on Terry. 

Edited by Gut Wagon
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

In what way was Rodney Terry's ability to do this job hindered by anything Chris Beard did?

He couldn't recruit at the high school level the whole year because 1) Beard had two big commits, and 2) he was interim coach until late March/early April

27 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

He couldn't recruit at the high school level the whole year because 1) Beard had two big commits, and 2) he was interim coach until late March/early April

While factually true, none of that has any bearing on the present situation. 
I guess it’s Beards fault that RT embarrassed himself by complaining like a bitch about the horns down?

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

5 hours ago, Pancho said:

and he's done a much better job than anyone is willing to give him credit. Texas had 2 returning players after the season was over and no incoming HS recruits. If there was a new coach, then you are probably looking at a team without Disu, Abmas, Shedrick, Weaver, Hunter, and Mitchell. Maybe that would have been better alternative, but there's not a lot of success turning over entire rosters in a single off-season in college basketball. Beard's 1st team had some dreadful performances and lost the best a guy now predicited to go in the lottery and another needed big before the season even ended.

I am begining to think that the majority of the people in this thread would have gladly traded the EE finish if it meant Rodney Terry wouldn't be the coach today.

Edited by HtownHorn

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this argument never fails to make me laugh.

yeah i know lots of guys who turned into Coach K after 28 years of not being able to hack it, fair point!

The definition of argumentative cherry picking. For every Coach K or Jim Harbaugh who finally turn the tide, there’s 100 other coaches these logical fallacy paramours ignore. 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

and he's done a much better job than anyone is willing to give him credit. Texas had 2 returning players after the season was over and no incoming HS recruits. If there was a new coach, then you are probably looking at a team without Disu, Abmas, Shedrick, Weaver, Hunter, and Mitchell. Maybe that would have been better alternative, but there's not a lot of success turning over entire rosters in a single off-season in college basketball. Beard's 1st team had some dreadful performances and lost the best a guy now predicited to go in the lottery and another needed big before the season even ended.

I am begining to think that the majority of the people in this thread would have gladly traded the EE finish if it meant Rodney Terry wouldn't be the coach today.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Are you suggesting that there is something people don’t like about RT other than his head coaching abilities? 

8 hours ago, Reality Check said:

The same geniuses demanding Terry's ouster here were on previous boards demanding both be fired; Shaka certainly didn't do anything to justify staying but pushing Barnes out was just plain stupid. (Cue the baseless "both Texas and Barnes needed a change" platitude.)

8 hours ago, Reality Check said:

The stupidity of this post is mind bottling. Everyone on the planet realized Shaka needed to go, including Shaka himself. And Barnes wasn’t pushed out for on the court issues. The University had no choice but to let him go due to off court issues they’ve chosen to not publicize. It’s obvious you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about. You’re a real genius alright. 

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

having to construct a new roster is just a part of coaching, it’s not a huge mess left behind by a guy who was fired last december.

Exactly. Not to mention, did I miss the mass exodus after Beard left? The roster issues were there if Beard had stayed. There will be lots of turnover every couple years with all of these transfers. That’s the game now.

2 hours ago, CTC2 said:

I guess it’s Beards fault that RT embarrassed himself by complaining like a bitch about the horns down?

I have a lot of problems with RT, starting with him being our head coach, but that ain't one of them.  He shouldn't have done it, but our mediocre future was already full steam ahead by that point.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Exactly. Not to mention, did I miss the mass exodus after Beard left? The roster issues were there if Beard had stayed. There will be lots of turnover every couple years with all of these transfers. That’s the game now.

I think quite a few players left when Chris joined

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah i know lots of guys who turned into Coach K after 28 years of not being able to hack it, fair point!

It's analogous to bringing up Nick Saban's early struggles when a head football coach is losing

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Turning around a college roster happens a lot with the transfer portal. Hell, Jerome Tang did it at some hell hole in Manhattan, KS. Iowa States coach took a 2-22 team to the Elite 8 in his first year! Then Iowa St gave us their Freshman of the year and Big 12 defensive player of the year and our coaching has made him go backwards! You’re right, quick turnarounds are impossible in the transfer portal era.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

The stupidity of this post is mind bottling. Everyone on the planet realized Shaka needed to go, including Shaka himself. And Barnes wasn’t pushed out for on the court issues. The University had no choice but to let him go due to off court issues they’ve chosen to not publicize. It’s obvious you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about. You’re a real genius alright. 

Can you elaborate at least a little bit here? 

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have a lot of problems with RT, starting with him being our head coach, but that ain't one of them.  He shouldn't have done it, but our mediocre future was already full steam ahead by that point.

Agreed

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Soooo, we can't fire him because he had early success last year, and we can't fire him for this season's dumpster fire, because early results don't matter...

• Haha 4