Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It wasn't even my post dipshit.

You didn't write "Ah yeah the team he inherited"?

Because that's a really fucking stupid point when discussing RT getting out of week 1 of the tournament.  It's utterly irrelevant, but you posted it.  "Dipshit".

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You didn't write "Ah yeah the team he inherited"?

Because that's a really fucking stupid point when discussing RT getting out of week 1 of the tournament.  It's utterly irrelevant, but you posted it.  "Dipshit".

His results last year have zero to do with his results from this year and moving forward. And I'm not the one who mentioned him making it out of week 1 of the tournament. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

4 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Terry is going to have to hit a home run in the portal or hope Tre Johnson is the 2nd coming of MJ. Returning roster is bleak. I realize this isn't all his fault yet but our talent pipeline is lacking at the moment.

Welcome to college basketball in the portal era. You are putting together pretty much a new team every year or at least every 2 years.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Terry is going to have to hit a home run in the portal or hope Tre Johnson is the 2nd coming of MJ. Returning roster is bleak. I realize this isn't all his fault yet but our talent pipeline is lacking at the moment.

NCAA basketball is about 95% portal these days. Not sure there is a roster in the country that you can project out 3 months from now. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

RT cannot afford anymore portal whiffs like Horton and Onyema.

Horton and Onyema were last minute replacements after we had two blue chip recruits bail out of their letter of intents. It was a unique emergency situation. We should not take those caliber of players again.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Horton and Onyema were last minute replacements after we had two blue chip recruits bail out of their letter of intents. It was a unique emergency situation. We should not take those caliber of players again.

Horton was a replacement of a replacement of a replacement. There were about 3 portal guards and AJ Johnson ahead of him on the pecking order. 

Drove me crazy watching Jayden Nunn at Baylor this year knowing he was close to being a Horn and we wouldn’t have needed IT Horton on this team.

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Unless he misses the tournament next year, RT will be around for a bit.

We forced our winningest coach, who took us to the Final 4, out. I doubt RT stays here long if he doesn't make it to the second week and doesn't finish in the top 2/3 in the SEC.

4 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

We forced our winningest coach, who took us to the Final 4, out. I doubt RT stays here long if he doesn't make it to the second week and doesn't finish in the top 2/3 in the SEC.

Barnes won 2 tournament games his last 6 years here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

Yes, that's because he had earned himself a longer leash. RT hasn't.

Well, I don’t think RT’s leash is 6 more years, but it’s not 1 more year either. So the whole discussion of his firing as if it’s coming any time soon is dumb.

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Let's say he makes the second round next year.

What happens?

He gets to coach through his contract for sure. He has done enough to date to coach at least 3 years.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Once again, Bill Self has failed to make it to the 2nd weekend 9 times in 20 seasons at Kansas.  Is he our kind of coach?

Texas fans are by and large idiots.

Says the guy who is comparing Bill Self to Rodney Terry lmao.

Terry isn't even as accomplished as Shaka Smart.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Why don't you go back to giving us your view of RT's elocution.

If you think he is eloquent, then you're one stupid MF and you're not worth arguing with on an anonymous internet board.

20 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Says the guy who is comparing Bill Self to Rodney Terry lmao.

Terry isn't even as accomplished as Shaka Smart.

You really struggle.  In all ways.  I didn't compare the two, I pointed out the level of success the "gold standard" has.

Drink less.

Barnes won 2 tournament games his last 6 years here.

That was before Del Conte and now moving to the SEC on top of that. For right or wrong, if he doesn’t see progress and has a chance to really improve Terry will be gone.

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Unless he misses the tournament next year, RT will be around for a bit.

it’s defintely possible that we miss the tourney next year,  it even if we do RT will still be around for year three. if he has a bad season then, that’s when his seat will actually get hot.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Welcome to college basketball in the portal era. You are putting together pretty much a new team every year or at least every 2 years.

the team we just lost to was a bunch of third and fourth year teammates and one great transfer. the idea that every team will just be turning over their entire roster every two years is false. teams that do that won’t win very much or retain their head coaches very long. you still need to bring in “your guys” who are going to stick around a few years and learn/implement your culture and philosophies. you use the portal to add the final piece or two, not to have a revolving door of players every year.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Creighton’s coach, what are y’all’s thoughts?

That it’s funny you don’t even know Greg McDermott’s name but you just saw him win tonight so I’m sure you’re intrigued.

He’s about to be 60, has been at Creighton 15 years and just signed a contract extension two weeks ago.

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

he has a fairly well earned reputation as a coach who underachieves in the tourney. 

IMG_1603.thumb.jpeg.9b1dc40fcb5fec33866bc942b9f25dd0.jpeg

last year’s team went to the elite 8, so i see this matchup with tennessee as a defining game for both head coaches. one of them will at least somewhat get that monkey off his back, while the other will be in for a world of pain with yet another season that ended earlier than it felt like it shoot.

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

That it’s funny you don’t even know Greg McDermott’s name but you just saw him win tonight so I’m sure you’re intrigued.

He’s about to be 60, has been at Creighton 15 years and just signed a contract extension two weeks ago.

oh shit i just realized this was the Fire RT thread lol. when i replied to that post i assumed this was the tourney thread.

yeah, what hookem said. mcdermott ain’t going anywhere, and we don’t want him anyway. not a good fit and he’s in his 60’s. 

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

oh shit i just realized this was the Fire RT thread lol. when i replied to that post i assumed this was the tourney thread.

yeah, what hookem said. mcdermott ain’t going anywhere, and we don’t want him anyway. not a good fit and he’s in his 60’s. 

Also had the incident a few years back where he told his team to “stay on the plantation” after a loss.

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

That was before Del Conte and now moving to the SEC on top of that. For right or wrong, if he doesn’t see progress and has a chance to really improve Terry will be gone.

Moving to the SEC will be easier for Texas in basketball.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Once again, Bill Self has failed to make it to the 2nd weekend 9 times in 20 seasons at Kansas.  Is he our kind of coach?

Texas fans are by and large idiots.

When I think of the career Rodney Terry has amassed and then I think of the career Bill Self has had at Oral Roberts, Tulsa, Illinois, and then Kansas, they feel eerily similar. 

If Bill Self goes through a number of years with similar results to this one, they're going to be looking for him to quickly retire. 

Personally I think this was a decent season for Texas. Especially given my thoughts of what was going to happen after the loss to UCF. 

Eventually Terry needs to get to the second weekend over the next few years, or he won't be at Texas any more. How quickly that timeline needs to happen is above my pay grade. He also can't be missing the tournament all that often. Drunk harassing phone calls to one of your players and being arrested for choking your fiancée are out as well. 

I still question Terry's ability to build a team and to get them to buy into an identity that can lead to tremendous success. Nothing about this season addresses any of that. At the same time, he's personally compelling enough to attract some talent, and when the team is down he has some kind of leadership skills to right the ship. That's not nothing. It's not enough in and of itself, but it's not nothing. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Well we aren’t firing Terry and he’s earned at least 3 years minimum, but if he’s available, I really, really like the Iowa State coach.

• Hook 'Em 2